Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,923 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

The Sexiest Plane In The World - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Sexiest Plane In The World (1487 Views)

Jammeh's Luxury Cars Being Loaded Into A Plane In Gambia (Photos) / Jammeh Set To Leave Banjul Today, Photos Of The Plane That Will Carry Him / Pics: Russian Plane Arrives U.S. To Evacuate 35 Expelled Diplomats & Families. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sexiest Plane In The World by bookface: 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2015
These fascinating pictures show how engineers in 1960s California secretly developed the SR-71 Blackbird for the US Air Force – a plane which still holds the record for being the fastest ever aircraft.

The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is a long-range, strategic reconnaissance aircraft and these once classified photos reveal how Lockheed built three types of Blackbird - A, B and C in top secret conditions in Burbank, California.

The aircraft were built by American aerospace company Lockheed under a 'black project' - a highly classified military defence project unacknowledged by the government until its declassification.
Since July 28 1976 the SR-71 Blackbird has held the world record for the fastest air-breathing manned aircraft with a record speed of 2,193.2mph.

Almost every aspect of its design required new approaches or breakthroughs in technology.

To withstand high temperatures generated by friction in the upper atmosphere during sustained Mach 3 flight, the Blackbird required an array of specially developed materials including high temperature fuel, sealants, lubricants, wiring and other components.

Around 93% of the Blackbird's airframe consisted of titanium alloy that allowed the aircraft to operate in a regime where temperatures range from 450 degrees to 950 degrees.

On July 24 1964, US President Lyndon B. Johnson publicly announced the existence of the classified Lockheed SR-71 program.
The first flight was held on December 22 and operational aircraft deliveries began in 1966.

The plane flew around the entire United States of America in 64 minutes!!!
Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by bookface: 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2015
This was built in 1960s - only 61 years after the Wright brothers flew the first manned aircraft! And yet, till this day, holds the record as the world's fastest aircraft and it could reach an height of more than 70,000 feet. Simply amazing.

The engineers that worked on her were way ahead of their time. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2015
I have seen this tins move they are. Extraordinary

When will my dear country start building stuff like this
Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by nwaanambra1(m): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2015
oloyolo:

when we start living in the moon! undecided cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by akunjohn(m): 7:39pm On Mar 29, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
oloyolo:

Untill we start to think and act like them.
Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 29, 2015
Nope! That would be falcon htv-2 sir!

LoL @ someone mentioning Nigeria ............ I cackled! grin
Re: The Sexiest Plane In The World by bookface: 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2015
^^

Well, i meant a manned aircraft.

(1) (Reply)

Putin Defies The World,Drives In Convoy Of Truck To Open Europe's Longest Bridge / A New, Big ''NIGERIA'' Will Soon Exist In East Africa / This Is The Reason Why President Trump Killed Soleimani. (VIDEO) Justified?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.