Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,872 members, 7,855,564 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 04:58 AM

Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure (3585 Views)

"Guantanamo Bay Prisoners In Ghana Are Dangerous" - British High Commissioner. / Outrage In Ghana Over Guantanamo Detainees / Guantanamo Detainees Transferred To Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by otukpo(f): 7:42am On Jan 23, 2009
Seun:

Selective justice is not justice.

seun
i like that statement and pls apply it to what Ribadu did.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by sayso: 7:43am On Jan 23, 2009
Those families that lost their loved ones during 9/11,what are you waiting for ,attack Obama so that he will stop this madness,Gitmo has kept the world at least to a still,Osama Bin Devil can't make much noise and you want to release his army  back to him to continue their loved trade.you must be mad.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by henryone(m): 8:52am On Jan 23, 2009
Guantanamo has being there b4 9/11 attack, so what different dose it make now?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by FBS: 10:36am On Jan 23, 2009
henryone:

`
Yes but wasnt really used for what its been used for today.
Though like some other people here and in the world, I have reservations as to closing it but we can bet the present adminstration has plans of how to deal with this.
They cant just let prisioners start flying about? and very soon most of them if released will the sue government of US for unlawful detention.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by smileskiss(f): 10:46am On Jan 23, 2009
cvibe:

Obama is staying true to his Campaign promises.

Yar Adua promised to declare a State of Emergency on Power supply, but where is it?
doyin13:

It is almost traditional now, for an incoming president to make an amendment to
the abortion agenda.

Clinton did it on his first day in office, Bush within the first year of office and now
Obama has followed suit

[color=#990000][b]I AUTOMATICALLY AGREE WITH YOU two, THE FIRST THING, OBAMA HAVE TO DO IS TO STICK TO EVERY SINGLE WORDS OF PROMISES HE MENTIONED DURING IS CAMPAIGN AND LATER ESPECIALLY FOR THE BEGINNING OF THIS NEW ERA IN DEMO. AND THAT EXACTLY WHAT HE HIS DOING, AS FOR ME AND ANYONE OF YOU, WE WILL DO THE SAME THING TO WIN THE WORLD POPULATION POSITIVE ATTENTION TO US.[[/[/b]color][b][/b]quote author=henryone link=topic=222829.msg3376272#msg3376272 date=1232697154]

henryone:

sayso:

Those families that lost their loved ones during 9/11,what are you waiting for ,attack Obama so that he will stop this madness,Gitmo has kept the world at least to a still,Osama Bin Devil can't make much noise and you want to release his army  back to him to continue their loved trade.you must be mad.
A-town:

I actually think this is a very unnecessary decision.
Wait till there is another 9/11 and you'll see how people will run away from Barack.
Whether you like it or not, guantanamo and U.S captive policies have prevented another 9/11 since 9/11. I hope there's no 9/11 anytime soon because people will skin obama alive.
rikkyjen:

Honestly, i have a lot of problem with Obama closing Gitmo.

Most of these guys in Gitmo as AT today are enemy combatants who were picked up in the battlefield.People shooting against American & the coalition forces. True, some innocent folks were picked but most of the "innocent" folks have been released due to the International outcry. For instance, they used to be more than 600, but now we have about 250 in Gitmo now.

So what do you want to do? Bring 'em on to the US courts where the liberal judges would throw away the cases cos of the "torture & coercion" which would ultimately lead to a mistrial. What about the fear of classified secrets and strategies leaked in an open court.

These " Gitmo guys" the ACLU, CLO and other groups are supporting dont even care about the rule of law or International/Geneva convention!. You release these guys and they are coming back FULL FORCE.

We all know OJ simpson was guilty but he got off from the murder charges cos of "TECHNICALITIES", thats whats gonna happen if you bring this guys to the mainland USA.

Honestly, torture is bad make we no lie but if America has to sacrifice its so-called values to keep itself safe, so be it!

Even with the International outcry, these Gitmo detainees even enjoy more than the Marines/Sailor in Gitmo  grin grin grin grin. I heard they feed them with some good balanced diet with a heavy blast of Eminem, Dr Dre and Will Smith's "Move Bi@ch, Get out the way"!  that one na toture?  grin grin grin grin

Lets face it as 4play said, the spineless EU and other countries have been screaming their lungs out but no country is ready to house these guys! And this has a become a tradition for the Europeans, their failure to take responsibilities is not only appaling but puerile and parasitic , yet if the US goes on unilaterally to do stuffs then they start to bobo-gist and bobo-yarn about when they get to their secretariat in Brussels! undecided undecided undecided

When the Ruthless Putin turned off the energy tap on Ukraine last winter and when Putin vowed to hang Sakashvili by the Ballz, the Europeans couldn't say "pim" to Putin to stop his madness except for Sarkozy who chose his words carefully when he got to the Kremlin.

Back to Gitmo, Even the Liberal and Democratic senators  crying blue murder about Gitmo all wrote congressional memos to Bush not to put any of this guys in their district!

The question is where would MuBarrack Hussein put all these guys who dont even care about the so called "values" them leftists are screaming on.

At the end of the day Bush screwed up the country, Katrina, invaded Iraq and all  but i believe History would be fair to that guy some day in the next couple of decades.

Over to Obama!
Guantanamo, is there ages b4 9/11 attack,so if he close this evil arena, even though Osama devilish' agents are there waiting to to detroy Obama or is work, don't forget that the says WHEN GOD IS WITH US, WHO CAN BE AGAINST US.

And i can see God is with Obama, i pray day and night God should help him accomplish all his goals in peace. to elimate all the goliath in this world.

I know is not easy to take such decision, but he has made it, so lets what and see. But i can see it will work out positively in the future. As i know if Obama succeed this mandate, that means i succeed me too, so as for you. I'm number 5 on is agenda, AFRICA is number 5 on his agenda.

Tout le monde doit lui soutenir avec nos priere et effort.
Merci beacoup pour vos contribution.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by plcgroup: 11:24am On Jan 23, 2009
I know the rest of the world will be happy if Obama implement any policy that will be against US.  Let Obama remember that it was Americans that voted for him and not outsiders who only want US down.   Obama should not be carried away to please the world.  It is US first before the world.  He is the US President.

Bush didn't start war when he came to power.  He came to power in 2000 but US was attacked on 11/09/2001 and this pushed Bush to take action because he could not have waited for any other attack before dealing with those terrorists.

George Bush integrity surpass that of Clinton.  Clinton (whom I love) was an Adulterer but Bush was only hated because he invaded Iraq.   He did well to remove Saddam because a mad man cannot continue to threaten you with a matchet and you expect a normal human being to fold his hands until the matchet is used against him.  You must act before the matchet is used against you.  That was exactly what Bush did.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Gifo(m): 12:21pm On Jan 23, 2009
The volume and intensity of the comments on this topic awes one to thinking. Do we have a problem with Obama? I have searched the US news and I just don't feel this same intensity on this issue. Are we rather hastily pessimistic to this government? Or we may be better advisors to the US president inspite of the topnotch advisors sorrounding him? Or do I sense a hint of contempt for Obama?

Well, we can give this new administration the benefit of the doubt. Because I don't personally think Obama and his administration would lead America to harm or destruction; and besides US needs the world's support to fight terrorism and the likes.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by otokx(m): 12:58pm On Jan 23, 2009
Obama should pace himself and not be in haste to make decisions.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by sayso: 1:14pm On Jan 23, 2009
American's will soon see what we are seeing from here,he is their president for now,but of the world later.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/john.mccain.barack.obama/index.html

Freed from Gitmo,Saudi becomes Al Qaeda chief.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481849,00.html.

If he closes it which he said he will do,who will take them back.remember (NIMBY)Not in my back yard.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by FBS: 2:48pm On Jan 23, 2009
Yes, I'm just reading about the ex Gitmo al-terrorist. He was released about a year ago.
Certainly I don't think they will just allow them walk away freely especially if the government has cases against them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_yemen_al_qaida
Report: Ex-Gitmo detainee joins al-Qaida in Yemen
agoCAIRO, Egypt – An Internet posting purportedly by al-Qaida in Yemen says the group's No. 2 is a Saudi national who is a former Guantanamo detainee.

The Yemeni group — known as "al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula" — posted the statement this week on a militant Web site that regularly carries al-Qaida messages.

It says the man returned to his home in Saudi Arabia after his release from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba about a year ago and from there went to Yemen to join the terror group.

The Internet statement identified the man as Said Ali al-Shihri and says his prisoner number at Guantanamo was 372.

The posting could not immediately be verified, and Yemen and Saudi Arabian authorities would not immediately comment on it.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by TayoD1(m): 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2009
@FBS,

Yes, I'm just reading about the ex Gitmo al-terrorist. He was released about a year ago.
Certainly I don't think they will just allow them walk away freely especially if the government has cases against them.
If Gitmo is closed and military courts remain suspended as ordered, then they will have to let them go. If these terrorists are tried under the US judicial system, they will have every right that an American have. They will be considered innocent until proven guilty. In the mean time, you can't detain them indefinitely without bringing them to trial. And since evidence against them is sometimes hard to prove, they will have to be released. The question is this: who will take them back?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by FBS: 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2009
no one. I understand that other countries have refused to take them. The best answers to all these can be provided by the current administration. But again, why were they detained in the first place?
It doesnt really make sense to detain someone guilty of no charges.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by KASTECH(m): 4:19pm On Jan 23, 2009
[b][/b] I beieve he wants the best for himself, therefore he shuoldnt try anything fuuny. if transferring those prisoner will make the best for him then let him try and do that for his own good anf for efectiveness in his administration. i believe is a fight for human right and thats all. LONG LIVE AMERICA. oBAMA YOU ARE MOUTHED
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 5:34pm On Jan 23, 2009
Obama must move swiftly to undo the damage of Bush's 8-year long policies. No slowing down and no relenting, else the obstructions on the right will start causing trouble.

Obama, we dey support you 100%
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by chiegemba(f): 6:27pm On Jan 23, 2009
I don't think it is rushed.Let see the hidden agenda,
D man has not spent days in office and he is already being hammered,
abeg make una leave am,
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by TayoD1(m): 6:32pm On Jan 23, 2009
@Richy,

Obama must move swiftly to undo the damage of Bush's 8-year long policies. No slowing down and no relenting, else the obstructions on the right will start causing trouble.
I can see he is moving quickly to undo the Bush's doctrine as well.  With the drone strike in Pakistan on the 3rd day of his presidency, we are left with no doubt that the Bush doctrine is now the Obama doctrine.

Obama, we dey support you 100%
I suppose you will support the innocent people that will be killed with the drone strikes as well.

Is it not ironic that Obama will not detain these people but would rather kill them? I guess detention is more complicated than outright killing.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Richy,
I can see he is moving quickly to undo the Bush's doctrine as well. With the drone strike in Pakistan on the 3rd day of his presidency, we are left with no doubt that the Bush doctrine is now the Obama doctrine.

its an uncomfortable truth. America's enemies remain as committed as ever to destroying the world. Maybe Bush wasnt so bad afterall.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 7:13pm On Jan 23, 2009
[size=18pt]Suspected U.S. missile strike kills 10 in Pakistan
[/size]
    * Story Highlights
    * Strike would be the first since President Obama took office
    * Attack occurs in Pakistan's ungoverned tribal region along Afghan border
    * Region has seen spike in drone attacks on what are believed to be Taliban targets

From Reza Sayah
CNN

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Ten people were killed Friday evening in a suspected U.S. missile strike in Pakistan's tribal region, said a local political official and two military sources.

The suspected strike would be the first since President Obama took office Tuesday.

The attack happened about 5:15 p.m. (7:15 a.m. ET) in a village near Mir Ali, North Waziristan, said Nasim Dawar, the local official.

North Waziristan is one of seven districts in Pakistan's ungoverned tribal region along the Afghan border, where the Taliban and other militants have set up a haven.

The region has seen a spike in the number of aerial attacks by unmanned drones on what are believed to be Taliban targets.

The United States has the only military with such capabilities in the area. In 2008, there were 30 suspected U.S. missile strikes in Pakistan, based on a CNN count.

On New Year's Day, two top al Qaeda terrorists were killed by a U.S. missile strike against a building in northern Pakistan, according to two senior U.S. officials.

The men, both Kenyans, were on the FBI's Most Wanted Terrorist list, one of the officials said, and were believed to have been responsible for the September suicide bombing at a hotel in Islamabad.

Although the United States said the strikes have killed some senior al Qaeda officials, the Pakistani government has condemned them, calling them a violation of its sovereignty, and has asked the U.S. military to stop.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 7:24pm On Jan 23, 2009
Such strikes violate Pakistan's sovereignty, except they got the green light from Islamabad. Otherwise, they are illegal and must be stopped!

To get some legitimacy, the US must work with the UN to draft appropriate resolutions that would guarantee that strikes targeted against confirmed (not suspected) militants (not civilians) are legal. This is part of the reason the United Nations was set up by the US and her allies after WWII; that was in the days when US foreign policy made sense. However, such resolutions would only be necessary if Islamabad refuses to cooperate.

Obama must not be tempted to follow the dangerous, isolating and unilateral policies of the Bush administration.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by TayoD1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 23, 2009
@Richy,

Obama must not be tempted to follow the dangerous, isolating and unilateral policies of the Bush administration.
He just did with that strike. That is Bush Doctrine at work.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 8:34pm On Jan 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Such strikes violate Pakistan's sovereignty, except they got the green light from Islamabad. Otherwise, they are illegal and must be stopped!

Pakistan is a cesspit full of Al-Qaeda terrorists who murdered thousands on 9-11 and who continue to plot mass murder from their hideouts in Pakistan. If the Pakistani Govt can't rid their country of these people, the US will have to do so.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:50pm On Jan 23, 2009
free omar khadr!!!
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 11:36pm On Jan 23, 2009
4 Play:

Pakistan is a cesspit full of Al-Qaeda terrorists who murdered thousands on 9-11 and who continue to plot mass murder from their hideouts in Pakistan. If the Pakistani Govt can't rid their country of these people, the US will have to do so. 

Well, they have to follow the proper channels. This is why we have diplomats and also why the U.S. established the United Nations. Furthermore, those strikes are hypocritical in the light of the fact that the intellectual nerve center of "intolerant Islam" is Saudi Arabia. What is the U.S. doing about that? Is it because their "good friends" are running the show in Riyadh? If Pakistan was part of a much bigger and more powerful nation like China or Russia, would the airheads in Washington carry out such strikes?

The US must respect international laws and use the proper channels in the UN to make her case. They masterminded the formation of the United Nations and they have a permanent seat at the UN. Why would it be so difficult to issue a resolution backed by popular support and directed at the "terrorists" in Pakistan?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by RichyBlacK(m): 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Richy,
He just did with that strike. That is Bush Doctrine at work.

I disagree! Obama is only three days old as president. It's not enough time to defeat the giant beast of lawlessness released by Bush.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:39pm On Jan 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I disagree! Obama is only three days old as president. It's not enough time to defeat the giant beast of lawlessness released by Bush.

Are you saying that the air strikes were conducted against Obama's wishes? grin grin grin
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by 4Play(m): 11:43pm On Jan 23, 2009
Besides, it seems Richy started following politics in the Bush years. Back in the Clinton era, an air strike was ordered on a target in Sudan. The Clinton Administration claimed it was a chemical weapons plant used jointly by Al-Qaeda and Iraq. Very short memories with people.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 23, 2009
4 Play:

Are you saying that the air strikes were conducted against Obama's wishes? grin grin grin

You think Richy has the capacity to reason? grin I wonder how the CIA would launch a strike against alqaeda militants inside Pakistan without Obama's tacit approval?
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 24, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Well, they have to follow the proper channels. This is why we have diplomats and also why the U.S. established the United Nations.

Uhm perhaps you know if al Qaeda also have diplomats?
What role do you think the UN should play here? Ever heard Ban Ki Moon talk about alqaeda? Bah he's too busy crying over Gaza.

RichyBlacK:

Furthermore, those strikes are hypocritical in the light of the fact that the intellectual nerve center of "intolerant Islam" is Saudi Arabia. What is the U.S. doing about that? Is it because their "good friends" are running the show in Riyadh?

Its because the Saudis dont allow their land be used as a terror training center unlike Pakistan. Why do you think even Osama Bn Laden wont go stay in Saudi Arabia?

RichyBlacK:

If Pakistan was part of a much bigger and more powerful nation like China or Russia, would the airheads in Washington carry out such strikes?

they wouldnt have needed to. China and Russia would long have wiped out al qaeda on their behalf even if it meant flattening out an entire region.

RichyBlacK:

The US must respect international laws and use the proper channels in the UN to make her case.

So what laws should al qaeda respect?
The US shld make her case to the UN that includes Syria, Venezuela and Iran? grin Very effective i say.

RichyBlacK:

They masterminded the formation of the United Nations and they have a permanent seat at the UN. Why would it be so difficult to issue a resolution backed by popular support and directed at the "terrorists" in Pakistan?

How many of such "resolutions" have al qaeda followed? grin

This guy sounds daft by the day.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 2:03am On Jan 24, 2009
Released detainee now Yemen al-Qaida commander

WASHINGTON – A released Guantanamo Bay terror detainee has reemerged as an al-Qaida commander in Yemen, highlighting the dilemma facing President Barack Obama in shaping plans to close the detention facility and decide the fates of U.S. captives.

A U.S. counterterror official confirmed Friday that Said Ali al-Shihri, who was jailed in Guantanamo for six years after his capture in Pakistan, has resurfaced as a leader of a Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

"By Allah, imprisonment only increased our persistence in our principles for which we went out, did jihad for, and were imprisoned for," he said in a video posted on a militant-leaning Web site Friday. It was the second time this week a reference to al-Shihri has shown up on the Web site. He was mentioned in an online magazine on Jan. 19 with a reference to his prisoner number at Guantanamo, 372.

Al-Shihri was released by the U.S. in 2007 to the Saudi government for rehabilitation. But this week a publication posted on a militant-leaning Web site said he is now the top deputy in "al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula," a Yemeni offshoot of the terror group headed by Osama bin Laden. The group has been implicated in several attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Yemen's capital Sana.

The announcement from the militant site came the same day that President Barack Obama signed an executive order directing the closure of the jail at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, within a year.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by osisi2(f): 2:09am On Jan 24, 2009
davidylan:

Released detainee now Yemen al-Qaida commander

WASHINGTON – A released Guantanamo Bay terror detainee has reemerged as an al-Qaida commander in Yemen, highlighting the dilemma facing President Barack Obama in shaping plans to close the detention facility and decide the fates of U.S. captives.

A U.S. counterterror official confirmed Friday that Said Ali al-Shihri, who was jailed in Guantanamo for six years after his capture in Pakistan, has resurfaced as a leader of a Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

[b]"By Allah, imprisonment only increased our persistence in our principles for which we went out, did jihad for, and were imprisoned for," he said in a video posted on a militant-leaning Web site Friday. It was the second time this week a reference to al-Shihri has shown up on the Web site. He was mentioned in an online magazine on Jan. 19 with a reference to his prisoner number at Guantanamo, 372.[/b]Al-Shihri was released by the U.S. in 2007 to the Saudi government for rehabilitation. But this week a publication posted on a militant-leaning Web site said he is now the top deputy in "al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula," a Yemeni offshoot of the terror group headed by Osama bin Laden. The group has been implicated in several attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Yemen's capital Sana.

The announcement from the militant site came the same day that President Barack Obama signed an executive order directing the closure of the jail at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, within a year.

You see why I think closing down Guantamo in a haste may mean releasing these confirmed wild animals into the streets.
These people are misfits.
These are probably adults who lacked proper nurturing at home since all they saw was some pervert who called himself a father impregnating 4 women and several temporary wives at the same time.
What morals did he learn from a father who had no time for him or a mother who was busy perfuming her private part with spices to out do the other co wives?
They ought to be dealt with mercilessly
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by JJYOU: 2:29am On Jan 24, 2009
**osisi:

You see why I think closing down Guantamo in a haste may mean releasing these confirmed wild animals into the streets.
These people are misfits.
These are probably adults who lacked proper nurturing at home since all they saw was some pervert who called himself a father impregnating 4 women and several temporary wives at the same time.
What morals did he learn from a father who had no time for him or a mother who was busy perfuming her private part with spices to out do the other co wives?
They ought to be dealt with mercilessly
u are something else my dear sister. i actually saw a foolish palestinian man said he had many children he was willing to kill for the cause.

lets pray for obama that God be merciful and turn things around in his time.
Re: Obama Orders Guantanamo Closure by Nobody: 2:54am On Jan 24, 2009
these people are not humans, all these hypocrites crying "international law" seem to live in utopia.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos : The First Man In The World To Give Birth Shows Off His Baby / Israeli Bill Being Debated To Ban Jesus / Angolan president. Only 6 months builds a Stadium on water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.