Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,897 members, 7,863,080 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:17 AM

Carnage In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Carnage In Lagos (2162 Views)

Iraq's Al Sadr Says Buhari Is Isis;urges Iraqis To Protest Against Zaria Carnage / Femi Fani-kayode :the Carnage In Paris And The Great Paradox. / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Carnage In Lagos by JJYOU: 3:15am On Jan 24, 2009
strangleyo:

Because we have more crime than most places and hence people don't feel safe in Nigeria. We have more crime because we have more poor people. We have more poor people because we have uneven distribution of wealth. Our justice system does not work, people do not have trust in it.

South Africa is the same.
you have more poor people? how do you work that out?
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:25am On Jan 24, 2009
strangleyo:

Because we have more crime than most places and hence people don't feel safe in Nigeria. We have more crime because we have more poor people. We have more poor people because we have uneven distribution of wealth. Our justice system does not work, people do not have trust in it.

South Africa is the same.

Hold up . . . .  pull the brakes. Did I miss something here? Were you not the one encouraging the government on another thread to increase the population of the very poor in Lagos by destroying the "ILLEGAL" stalls, most of which have been there for so many administrations before the current one, without at least ensuring that some cushion system exists so we do not have thousands of people/families suddenly without their source of income without high potential of turning to crime to survive the hash reality that is Lagos/Nigeria?

Do you think if  in South Africa, all the shacks were demolished today, you would not see Johannesburg become hell on earth yet again?
Re: Carnage In Lagos by strangleyo: 3:33am On Jan 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Hold up . . . .  pull the breaks. Did I miss something here? Were you not the one encouraging the government on another thread to increase the population of the very poor in Lagos by destroying the "ILLEGAL" stalls, most of which have been there for so many administrations before the current one, without at least ensuring that some cushion system exists so we do not have thousands of people/families suddenly without their source of income without high potential of turning to crime to survive the hash reality that is Lagos/Nigeria?

Do you think if  in South Africa, all the shacks were demolished today, you would not see Johannesburg become hell on earth yet again?

Good point. I still hope they keep demolishing shacks and sending people back home or into more legit work.

Again, let me re-iterate, WE NEED REAL SECURITY. We need a police force that works, not one that blames goats. If we need to fill up our jails with 50 people in 1 cell, so be it! We need an EFFECTIVE police presence so we can control what the hell is happening on the streets. Nigeria needs to start building massive prisons to deal with this. I say start building giant prisons like old European dungeons and toss in the criminals inside. More police presence. Those who wish to commit crimes should be thrown where they can not harm people.

And let the god damn goat go its not his fault!

you have more poor people? how do you work that out?

I was just using SA as an example I am not South African. But they have their issues with shacks too, the ANC put that country in the gutter.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by JJYOU: 3:34am On Jan 24, 2009
so many people have no business being in lagos let alone steaaling.  why must we turn every space in nigeria into trading space?
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Jan 24, 2009
strangleyo:

Good point. I still hope they keep demolishing shacks and sending people back home or into more legit work.

Again, let me re-iterate, WE NEED REAL SECURITY. We need a police force that works, not one that blames goats. If we need to fill up our jails with 50 people in 1 cell, so be it!

PULL the BRAKES AGAIN please!. . . . News Flash!! We do not have REAL SECURITY. What we have Now is a Governor that is “Doing the RIGHT thing” BUT He is also increasing the number of very poor in the society, AND potentially increasing Crime Rate in that State Which currently HAS NO GOOD POLICE FORCE. So Put all this together and tell me that you do not see what this potentially means?

strangleyo:

We need an EFFECTIVE police presence so we can control what the hell is happening on the streets.

We need . . .  We need need. . . .  We  need need need . . . . REALITY IS WE DO NOT HAVE IT NOW AND MAY NOT HAVE IT IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS SEF roflmao!. SO We can DREAM ON or We can WORK with what we currently have now.

strangleyo:

Nigeria needs to start building massive prisons to deal with this. I say start building giant prisons like old European dungeons and toss in the criminals inside. More police presence. Those who wish to commit crimes should be thrown where they can not harm people.

Have you ever been to the Nigerian jails? Those jails are backed up already and potentially half of the people in there are innocent but have been there for years. With a system like ours, you are calling for more jails and more people in jail?

strangleyo:

I was just using SA as an example I am not South African. But they have their issues with shacks too, the ANC put that country in the gutter.

Why do you think no single government has tried shutting down those ILLEGAL shacks the very same way Fashola is currently shutting down ILLEGAL stalls in Lagos?
Re: Carnage In Lagos by strangleyo: 4:17am On Jan 24, 2009
PULL the BRAKES AGAIN please!. . . . News Flash!! We do not have REAL SECURITY. What we have Now is a Governor that is “Doing the RIGHT thing” BUT He is also increasing the number of very poor in the society, AND potentially increasing Crime Rate in that State Which currently HAS NO GOOD POLICE FORCE. So Put all this together and tell me that you do not see what this potentially means?

It means more broke Lagosians. It means there's no illegal market future for them. It means some should return home (Yes, I know there is shame involved in returning , but they shall sallow their pride or, )

We need . . .  We need need. . . .  We  need need need . . . . REALITY IS WE DO NOT HAVE IT NOW AND MAY NOT HAVE IT IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS SEF roflmao!. SO We can DREAM ON or We can WORK with what we currently have now.

What we have is a city that is a slum and has been attracting impoverished people, who do not go to school, who went to school in their home states. What we have is a lagoon with a trash heap used as landfill, with slums on top.

Have you ever been to the Nigerian jails? Those jails are backed up already and potentially half of the people in there are innocent but have been there for years. With a system like ours, you are calling for more jails and more people in jail?

I have never been to a Nigerian jail. Who knows what the future holds.

Why do you think no single government has tried shutting down those ILLEGAL shacks the very same way Fashola is currently shutting down ILLEGAL stalls in Lagos?

Because no single government has given a shit about Lagos, let alone what it looks like, because if they did, it wouldn't look like what is looks like now.

What we have now is a city that looks like a backyard in a homeless shelter. We already have some of the highest crime rates in the world for an urban area. Is it going to get worse? Perhaps, will this same market spring up in another part of town, I bet it already has or is beginning.

The moral of the story is, Gov Fash is trying to say by taking action "If you have no official job in Lagos, if you are not paying taxes to the Lagos city, if you are working under the radar, please, please, do us all a favour and go back, or do some legit work, because your body, is overloading the already overcrowded city", and I support him.

Otherwise, we come back to this video, and the demand for civilians with guns will skyrotet. Street justice will be dealt until either the criminals learn that they will be set on fire in the street, or, they get a real job or go home. If their home is Lagos they better start thinking about begging if they can't get a real job.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:46am On Jan 24, 2009
strangleyo:

It means more broke Lagosians. It means there's no illegal market future for them. It means some should return home (Yes, I know there is shame involved in returning , but they shall sallow their pride or, )
Return home where? So more broke Lagosians, meaning more helpless people living in Lagos, right? Meaning more hungry mouths with nowhere to turn for help? And you do not see how this might be worse, considering the REALITY of the security situation and Nigeria as a whole could be worse than living with the illegal markets for a while longer? AArrggh!! So you expect people who are exposed to the worst to swallow their pride and die of hunger rather than turn to crime? In a country like Nigeria where from top to bottom, people bend the rules to suit their current situation?

strangleyo:

What we have is a city that is a slum and has been attracting impoverished people, who do not go to school, who went to school in their home states. What we have is a lagoon with a trash heap used as landfill, with slums on top.
Are you sure majority of these people were not born and groomed in the same Lagos? Lagos has from the beginning been a city that has attracted all kinds. You seem to argue that it is not the case that many of those who are now rendered without living are not Lagosians. Do you have any proof of this or is this just some semi-tribalist debate you are trying to offer here for reason? Last I checked Lagos belongs to NO ONE; it is a state with open borders to all Nigerians. Why should you demand people GO BACK HOME when you and those who you think own the land are all mostly strangers to the land?

strangleyo:

I have never been to a Nigerian jail. Who knows what the future holds.
Because no single government has given a shit about Lagos, let alone what it looks like, because if they did, it wouldn't look like what is looks like now.
Please stop day dreaming about what the future holds. We are talking of life NOW for these people. You want the Jails which are currently overflowing to be packed even more with people, most of whom are innocent? You want the plague of a police system we have now to imprison more people; more people who are likely to die in jail with no court hearing their case?

strangleyo:

What we have now is a city that looks like a backyard in a homeless shelter. We already have some of the highest crime rates in the world for an urban area. Is it going to get worse? Perhaps, will this same market spring up in another part of town, I bet it already has or is beginning.
We have had this city for over 20 years as is; and we have continued the bandage approach to solving issues all that while with next to no result. Let’s stop pretending these issues started yesterday but maybe start drilling down to the bottom of things to get a lasting solution that takes everyone along. Not good life for the few and then Let the rest get out of Lagos approach that you seem to be selling me.
Well, All these markets have been cleared out by all governors in the past 20 years and that have come back in the exact same places. So, we shall see if this one will stick or we go back to the norm.

strangleyo:

The moral of the story is, Gov Fash is trying to say by taking action "If you have no official job in Lagos, if you are not paying taxes to the Lagos city, if you are working under the radar, please, please, do us all a favour and go back, or do some legit work, because your body, is overloading the already overcrowded city", and I support him.
Otherwise, we come back to this video, and the demand for civilians with guns will skyrotet. Street justice will be dealt until either the criminals learn that they will be set on fire in the street, or, they get a real job or go home. If their home is Lagos they better start thinking about begging if they can't get a real job.

Well. . . goodluck!
Re: Carnage In Lagos by gadogado(m): 6:57am On Jan 24, 2009
@kobojunkie

the people with illegal stalls that fashola is shutting down should move back to the rural areas of either their states or lagos state and build our agricultural system. if im not mistaken, its the urban-rural drift/migration that led to the over crowding of lagos to begin with.no doubt lagos is an economically attractive city but why leave the "village" to come to lagos or any other city for that matter.its because the the govt. has completely abandoned anything "local govt" as far as development is concerned.
develop the rural areas so as to make it condusive for economic growth and prosperity (no matter how limited) and then people will have the incentive to stay and farm,make it just as attractive to be a farmer as it is to be a petty trader with a stall. and then maybe we'll have a situation where individual people and whole communities are a little wealtheir.But closing the stalls is legitimate and a good idea.but fashola should know what to do with the people whose stalls he's closing.again have some sort of program that redirects them to farms or gives them some sort of skill preferably industrial job skills.

But the video only suggests two things,one, that the police force and entire justice system is not working at all.its at almost 0 functioning capacity.and the they need to overhaul the entire system maybe by creating "courts of expediency" to try criminals a.s.a.p so that the prisons and jails arent overflowing. police ineffectiveness is as some say because they are over worked and the jails are too full.they need to increase police patrol like that "opereation fire for fire" thing and better community-police relations.or better yet,have state police as opposed to national police.the states should be responsible for providing security,if that doesnt do anything,at least it will bring about healthy competition between the different state police organizations which will definitely lead to more effectiveness and efficiency. in an ordinary/functioning/civilized/progressive society,the people that burned that man alive are guilty of murder and should be charged with first degree murder. the punishment for stealing "especially when hungry" is certainly not being burnt alive by a mob of crazy yoruba people. only yoruba people do this by the way.

again,on a more social note,how come (no one has answered) nigerians can burn a petty market place theif like that but when they clearly know their leaders are stealing from them,they do nothing.they'll hear and read that gov. so and so has stolen this or that million dollars but they'll not form mobs to go and burn down the governors house.why is this? why burn to death a petty theif?is it cowardice in nigerians??is it stupidity? what is it?they'll kneel for a governor like he's a king and smile and act shy like little girls (to any big man not just gov) and more than likely,the big man cheated them to get rich.yorubas are known to be cowards as nigerian folklore has it.yoruba people will talk and talk and remove their shirts and beat their chests but they'll never actually throw punches.thats besides the point.i think its cowardly and ignorant to burn someone alive like that,dont they have laws?dont they know what proportionality is? if i steal something then i should be crucified abi?like Jesus.or is it that nigerians are not yet politically developed as in our human devp. and political devp. is at the medeival ages of europeans.in that case,we're not yet enlightened as a culture and shouldnt be even trying to develop. if anything,focus on human devp. education not superstition.because as you may know,in medival europe,they used to burn people alive too just like this video but only if you were accused of being a witch. any rebuttals?
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 24, 2009
Why is Kobo arguing with hypocrites and cowards?
Damn it. . . . i cant believe this set of people in this failed and shameless state.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Tsiya(m): 2:04pm On Jan 24, 2009
There is no excuse for this savagery. I cant believe human beings will do that. This is horrible. Thre is no escuse for this.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by bindex(m): 2:49pm On Jan 24, 2009
This is sick and crazy.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2009
gadogado:

@kobojunkie

the people with illegal stalls that fashola is shutting down should move back to the rural areas of either their states or lagos state and build our agricultural system. if im not mistaken, its the urban-rural drift/migration that led to the over crowding of lagos to begin with.no doubt lagos is an economically attractive city but why leave the "village" to come to lagos or any other city for that matter.its because the the govt. has completely abandoned anything "local govt" as far as development is concerned.

Let me laugh first . . . ROFLMAO!! ROFLMAO!!! You mean the state is now sponsoring these people by giving them agricultural lands which they can farm on if they return to these rural areas you want them to? You mean all of them have land and all in the village but choose to come live on the streets of lagos with no respect and no security? Have you ever actually lived life for one minute in Lagos and then the village?
ROFLAMO!!!

gadogado:

develop the rural areas so as to make it condusive for economic growth and prosperity (no matter how limited) and then people will have the incentive to stay and farm,make it just as attractive to be a farmer as it is to be a petty trader with a stall. and then maybe we'll have a situation where individual people and whole communities are a little wealtheir.

OMGosh !! Whose job is it to develop these areas? The people who mostly have no land and nothing but sometimes the small roof over their heads? I am shocked that anyone with a real idea of what life is in Nigeria, even in the rural areas, could come in here to make the statement above. Please STOP coming up with these preposterous reasons for why you support the casting out of these people from your so called Lagos. My BRAIN CELLS KEEP Dying OFF when I Come in here To read these things from people who are Nigerians.

gadogado:

But closing the stalls is legitimate and a good idea.but fashola should know what to do with the people whose stalls he's closing.again have some sort of program that redirects them to farms or gives them some sort of skill preferably industrial job skills.

You are joking right?? Closing the Stalls is not a bad idea, and you can read, no one has so far said it is. NO ONE. If you read the arguments from those who are crying out against the way it is handled, you will note that they are not saying it is wrong. I have always hated those things myself but as one who grew up in that state, I have come to understand WHY we have those and WHY to solve the problem, we have to at least help these people. They are part of Lagos. Mind you, I have watched even as my own family friends lost jobs and all, and were reduced to selling from illegal stalls because they could not afford the rent of legal stalls. I have seen people reduced to hawking and even sending their kids out to do same just so they can have a good meal a day. These people are Lagosians, born and bred; people with no place else to go. People who have lived generations in Lagos – if you ask them where they are from, they will tell you they are from eko. So please, let’s stop assuming that the people with illegal stalls are not lagosians. That is a ridiculous way of thinking. When you speak of rural areas in Lagos, don’t you know that most of these live out in places like epe, ikorodu and all but commute each day to the mainland, where they know they are more likely to sell their wares and make a profit? How many people in rural areas do you think have huge farms that are abandoned? Not a lot, sorry!
The Problem is so far, we have not heard of Programs to HELP, as you say, REDIRECT these people to the Farms or give them some sort of skill. Do you expect them to just go colonize any land they see and start farming? Even the people who live on majidun river, towards Ikorodu, cannot all boast of having land and you think people in the village all have land but choose to come crash in Lagos. Have you ever lived in the west before, say America? Do you think that The Government would FIRST BAN something before it provides/ensures there are effective Alternatives in place OR is it the other way around? I urge you to think well before you answer. I have worked with a lot of non-profits here and I Know how things are mostly handled in the US when it comes to such. Even Drug addicts get offered an alternative to drugs here before laws to catch them are enforced. ROFLAMO!!

gadogado:

But the video only suggests two things,one, that the police force and entire justice system is not working at all.its at almost 0 functioning capacity.and the they need to overhaul the entire system maybe by creating "courts of expediency" to try criminals a.s.a.p so that the prisons and jails arent overflowing. police ineffectiveness is as some say because they are over worked and the jails are too full.they need to increase police patrol like that "opereation fire for fire" thing and better community-police relations.or better yet,have state police as opposed to national police.the states should be responsible for providing security,if that doesnt do anything,at least it will bring about healthy competition between the different state police organizations which will definitely lead to more effectiveness and efficiency. in an ordinary/functioning/civilized/progressive society,the people that burned that man alive are guilty of murder and should be charged with first degree murder. the punishment for stealing "especially when hungry" is certainly not being burnt alive by a mob of crazy yoruba people. only yoruba people do this by the way.

Oh please spare me!!! Roflmao!! Like the problem with Police is a problem that started yesterday, roflmao!!!

gadogado:

again,on a more social note,how come (no one has answered) nigerians can burn a petty market place theif like that but when they clearly know their leaders are stealing from them,they do nothing.they'll hear and read that gov. so and so has stolen this or that million dollars but they'll not form mobs to go and burn down the governors house.why is this? why burn to death a petty theif?is it cowardice in nigerians??is it stupidity? what is it?they'll kneel for a governor like he's a king and smile and act shy like little girls (to any big man not just gov) and more than likely,the big man cheated them to get rich.yorubas are known to be cowards as nigerian folklore has it.yoruba people will talk and talk and remove their shirts and beat their chests but they'll never actually throw punches.thats besides the point.i think its cowardly and ignorant to burn someone alive like that,dont they have laws?dont they know what proportionality is? if i steal something then i should be crucified abi?like Jesus.or is it that nigerians are not yet politically developed as in our human devp. and political devp. is at the medeival ages of europeans.in that case,we're not yet enlightened as a culture and shouldnt be even trying to develop. if anything,focus on human devp. education not superstition.because as you may know,in medival europe,they used to burn people alive too just like this video but only if you were accused of being a witch. any rebuttals?

Oh please stop!!! Roflmao!!! I can take a gander at providing you an answer to your first question there. Maybe because the Petty thieves are Not Patriotic Nigerians but the corrupt leaders are viewed as being more patriotic? ROFLMAO!!!
A beg make I enjoy my day ooo!! Roflmao!! I can not disturb myself with the quagmire that is Nigeria today. I need to have a mellow yellow day! roflmao!!
Re: Carnage In Lagos by Naijex: 3:50am On Jan 25, 2009
Serious matter
Re: Carnage In Lagos by SeanT21(f): 4:30am On Jan 25, 2009
AYE,Where is justice?
embarassed
What happen to Innocent till proven guilty? cry
Re: Carnage In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 6:09am On Jan 25, 2009
wow that's just plain barbaric.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by MadMax1(f): 7:22pm On Jan 25, 2009
Oh My God! They should make scapegoats of people who do this. Someone told me they burnt an 11 year-old to death a few years ago,and Channels recorded everything,and none of the lunatics who did it ever paid for it, though their faces were on tv and everything. My god this is horrible.
Re: Carnage In Lagos by comfort3: 7:39pm On Jan 28, 2009
lagos na wa. grin grin
Re: Carnage In Lagos by comfort3: 4:36pm On Mar 27, 2009
:-x

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Commissioner Set To Resign / B Haram Saga; The Real Truth About Islam.(quoted Facts From Ancient History) / Can Igbos Govern Their Own Nation-state? - Voting In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.