Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,648 members, 7,823,836 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? (32981 Views)

APC To Wike: Explain The N700m Poll Bribery Scam / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? / Explain The Source Of Your Terrorists Tapes; PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 31, 2015
That's no issue friend, Buhari meets the requirements.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by shegsrules(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
Were all thos prophets and their declaration, una know them name so start listing them.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by andykay(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
GogetterMD:
Wohoho! Nigerians are celebrating, PDP is sinking, results are trickling, INEC is announcing, APC is smiling, change is looming, youths are tweeting, facebookers are posting, whatsappers are broadcasting, south- south is rigging, international community is watching, orubebe is raking, obasanjo is warning, Yorubas are progressing, the North is jubilating, igbos are regretting, jonathing is parking, boko haram is relocating, Sure-p is closing, Tan is folding, fani Kayode is purging, Muazu is watching, Asari dokubo is wailing, oritsejafor is crying, patience jonathan is speaking and I am posting.

Meanwhile. .. .
Congratulations! It has been a long and strenuous battle to effect a change dating back days, weeks, months, years for some people! They looked down upon us, mocked us, derided our personalities. But we stood firm stood tall, and never wavered. Now we can go to sleep knowing our lives is secure, knowing we can wake up happy in the morning to reap the fruit of our labour, we can travel abroad without fearing foreign countries mocking us..... God bless GMB, God bless PYO, God bless Asiwaju(small) God bless Nigeria. Onto the future we march #teamGMB
Signed : gogettermd, on behalf of #teamGMB
God bless us all
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by lovemko(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
cirmuell:
it is allowed. grin na you go tire

on point...

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by ALISMILE(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
bastien:
Buhari u are a clueless old fool

I never start ooh, na so ur APC e-thugs do jona
He is a clueless old fool how? Present ur reasons!
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by jericco1(m): 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
obfuscating hmm
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Cohsyn(m): 5:29pm On Mar 31, 2015
koife:
Trending online now as we speak in the likelihood for this election to go into run off esp with the 25% and popular vote concept....I seem to get it all mixed up. Can someone pls help give me in depth explanation?

Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast; and has received at least a quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the requirement, a second election will be held between the two leading candidates within seven days from the pronouncement of the result.

Its self explanatory, apart from having the highest number of votes, d winner must garner at least 25% in at least 24 states even if he loses in some of d states.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by BronzeMan: 5:29pm On Mar 31, 2015
It will perhaps help you understand the spirit and principle of the rule first.

WHY HAVE THE 25% PROVISION?
In a country as diverse as Nigeria, this policy was put in place to ensure that any leader that is elected enjoys the mandate and support of a large part of Nigeria.

Basically, it is insufficient to have a large number of votes from one part of the country. For example, even if I won 100 million votes from Kano state alone, I would still need to demonstrate that I have support from the rest of Nigeria in addition to the large votes I got from Kano.

I would need to get at least 25% of the vote in 2/3rd of the states in Nigeria.

Nigeria has 36 states today, so I would have to get 25% of the votes in 24 states.

NOTE that I don't need to win the 24 states. I just need to get 25%.

So, to recap, to win the presidency in Nigeria, I need

1. A simple majority of the vote which I could get from a small section of the country (or even one state)

ALSO

2. Demonstrate I have support in a large part of the country by showing that at least 25% of voters in at least each of 24 states supports my candidacy.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2015
oga u wont like the outcome of this joke ooo

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by bastien: 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2015
ALISMILE:
He is a clueless old fool how? Present ur reasons!
quote me again n die young tongue
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by bastien: 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2015
cirmuell:
it is allowed. grin na you go tire
if only the old fool go agree to freedom of yab n insult
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by demandtruth: 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2015
the law as relates to the election does not regard
region or province. it's all about the 36 states + abuja

it then follows:

that the 2/3 of 36 states is = 24

2. the winner must obtain the highest numbers of votes cast
in any of the states not region

3. in each of the 24 of 36 states, the candidate must obtain atleast 25% of
valid votes. e.g 25,000 of 100,000

therefore, buhari has met all the requirements
and thus, is the winner

hope this help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Orikinla(m): 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2015
Revolution:

In addition to winning the majority of the votes, the winner must win 25% of the votes in 24 states (i.e. 2/3 of 36 states). Buhari won the popular votes and achieved 25% of votes in 26 states, therefore, he is elected President and Commander-in-Chief

[size=18pt]THANK YOU.
WE HAVE WON.
TO GOD AND GOD ALONE BE ALL THE GLORY!

Psalm 118:24. New King James Version (NKJV)

24 This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.

[/size]

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
Senseless thread! How will GEJ emerge the winner when GMB has defeated him in 10 States with over 75%?

Change is here to stay....

Change, Sai Buhari!

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by BlackGirlsCode: 5:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
franciskaine:
That awkward moment when Association of Witches, Association of Herbalists, Gurumaraji and other clandestine groups support GEJ. It leaves me with the question who then will God support? Can God and devil support the same candidate? That's absolutely impossicant!

lmaooo grin grin grin
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Orikinla(m): 5:36pm On Mar 31, 2015
demandtruth:
the law as relates to the election does not regard
region or province. it's all about the 36 states + abuja

it then follows:

that the 2/3 of 36 states is = 24

2. the winner must obtain the highest numbers of votes cast
in any of the states not region

3. in each of the states, the candidate must obtain atleast 25% of
valid votes. e.g 25,000 of 100,000

therefore, buhari has met all the requirements
and thus, is the winner

hope this help

Thank you.

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by PHAYOL81: 5:37pm On Mar 31, 2015
bastien:

EEYAH!!!! Don't cry, don't cry.
####offers him handkerchief # # # # grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by olayinka63: 5:37pm On Mar 31, 2015
bastien:

chai the thing pain am
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by asaretolulope(m): 5:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
It mean he must have more than 25% of the total vote cast in at least 24 states...meaning even if he lost a state to GEJ, he must have 25% of the total vote casted in d election. Even if he loses at that state
The essence was to ensure the President was accepted nationwide and not on ethnic grounds
As it stands..he has fulfilled dt part
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by asaretolulope(m): 5:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
It mean he must have more than 25% of the total vote cast in at least 24 states...meaning even if he lost a state to GEJ, he must have 25% of the total vote casted in d election. Even if he loses at that state
The essence was to ensure the President was accepted nationwide and not on ethnic grounds
As it stands..he has fulfilled dt part of the constitution
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by koife(m): 5:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
Wow...now I know
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2015
MAYOWAAK:
Course Code: INEC 002
Course Title: ELECTORAL SYSTEM EDUCATION!!!

Course Summary:

1. Criterion 1: A presidential candidate must secure at least 25% of votes cast in each of at least 24 states of the Federation before he could have a chance of winning an election.

2. If a candidate has the highest number of cast votes nationwide but fails to satisfy Criterion 1, he won't be declared the winner. Instead, the candidate with a lower total votes but meets Criterion 1 will be declared the WINNER.

3. Where there is no winner, a RUN-OFF election between the two closest candidates will be conducted within 7 days of the first election.

4. Criterion 2: From the re-off election, winning is by simple MAJORITY i.e. the presidential candidate with the higher number of votes cast will be declared the WINNER even if it is just by one vote.

COPIED...
where did you get the 2nd aspect of your number 2? That stuff is not in our Constitution. Where the candidate with the simple majority fails to meet the 25% in 2/3 States, the next option is a runoff election.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Abdulkareem407(m): 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2015
in Nigeria constitution...
Criterion 1 - A Presidential elect must have 25% in 2/3. means the winner must record 25% in 24 out of 36 states in NIGERIA.

Criterion 2 - Total numbers of votes casts...

therefore GMB have qualified for CRITERION 1 and he was clearly leading in CRITERION 2... SAI BABA
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by nokingasgod: 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2015
koife:
Trending online now as we speak in the likelihood for this election to go into run off esp with the 25% and popular vote concept....I seem to get it all mixed up. Can someone pls help give me in depth explanation?

Not surprised at this, our over sabi is second to none all over the world and in most cases, they are for fraudulent purposes.

Now, what the law says is that the winner must not only score the highest number of votes but must also score at least 25% of the votes cast in 2/3 of the 36 states not in 2/3 of the states where his opponents won.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by bastien: 5:43pm On Mar 31, 2015
PHAYOL81:

EEYAH!!!! Don't cry, don't cry.
####offers him handkerchief # # # # grin grin cheesy grin
I no be die hard fans oooh

Me no send any politician, whether u win or lose.

I be jona fan I no be PDP or any party fan, I no get PVC I never vote before and I no go ever vote .

still......Jona till my prick stand for man....... u gerrit? tongue
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by bastien: 5:45pm On Mar 31, 2015
olayinka63:

chai the thing pain am
pain me ke, Ifa hear

I be jona fan I no be PDP or any party fan, I no get PVC I never vote before and I no go ever vote,so I be minus one

still......Jona till my prick stand for man....... u gerrit?
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by christopher123(m): 5:46pm On Mar 31, 2015
koife:

I HAVE TOLD THEM THAT BUHARI IS NOT YET THE WINNER ON TECHNICAL GROUND AND THE STUPID PROF OSIBANJO IS JUBILATING..IT WILL DO THEM LIKE FILM...

LOL
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by PHAYOL81: 5:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
bastien:
I no be die hard fans oooh
I be jona fan I no be PDP or any party fan, I no get PVC I never vote before and I no go ever vote .
still......Jona till my prick stand for man....... u gerrit? tongue

Lol. Now I know you are surely jona prick for life. See how u concede defeat b4 d end jux right after ya mumu Lord.
Wake up boy, change is here already..... . EMBRACE IT! EMBRACE!! EMBRACE IT!!!
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by solomonsojay(m): 5:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
LET'S GET THIS CLEARIFIED NOW...
Presidential election
Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution
stipulates that a presidential candidate will be
duly elected after attaining both the highest
number of votes cast; and has received at least a
quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds
of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory
(FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the
requirement, a second election will be held
between the two leading candidates within seven
days from the pronouncement of the result.[9]

Buhari has Passed all the criteria already.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by bastien: 5:56pm On Mar 31, 2015
PHAYOL81:

Lol. Now I know you are surely jona prick for life. See how u concede defeat b4 d end jux right after ya mumu Lord.
Wake up boy, change is here already..... . EMBRACE IT! EMBRACE!! EMBRACE IT!!!
change for where? Abi Buhari go change when e get there...... wake up sire

Jona till my dickkkk stand for man
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by 9jagoodman: 5:57pm On Mar 31, 2015
Welcome Nigeria to Slavery!!!
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by demandtruth: 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2015
christopher123:

I HAVE TOLD THEM THAT BUHARI IS NOT YET THE WINNER ON TECHNICAL GROUND AND THE STUPID PROF OSIBANJO IS JUBILATING..IT WILL DO THEM LIKE FILM...

LOL

Silly x2 you

reading, learning has become a nightmare to you because of
the "transformation" you enjoyed in education as supplied by Gej

you better go join Pej to enrol in a primary school

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seized Allocation: "We Warned You, FG Tells Fayose.. / Saraki Assembles Sans To Battle Police Over Invitation / 2023: Which Of These APC Presidential Aspirants Can Defeat PDP’s Atiku Abubakar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.