Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,303 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

My Definition Of Islam By Ozize - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / My Definition Of Islam By Ozize (534 Views)

The Origin Of Maulud - Part Of Islam Or Innovation / The True, Peaceful Face Of Islam. / The Value And The Power Of Words In Islam, By Imam Murtada Gusau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Definition Of Islam By Ozize by Ozize(m): 5:29pm On Apr 01, 2015
Contrary to the believe of Muslims all over the world, the word Islam means peace. This conclusion can be reached by first getting the root of the word which is 'salam' meaning peace. But then is salam really the root word for Islam? Lets analyse this, we should realise that the true origin of the word Islam is "Aslam" which means to submit which means islam means SUBMISSION to God Alone and this is based on the following verses:

"He has legislated for you of the religion what He has instructed for Noah and what We inspired to you and what we instructed for Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: "You shall establish the religion and be not divided therein." 42:13

"Abraham was neither a Jew, nor a Christian; but he was a monotheist submitter. He was not one of the Mushrikeen (those who set up partners with God)." 3:67

Indeed, the religion in the sight of Allah is ISLAM. And those who were given the Scripture did not differ except after knowledge had come to them - out of jealous animosity between themselves. And whoever disbelieves in the verses of Allah, then indeed, Allah is swift in [taking] account.(3:19)

Now dealing with Quran 3 verse 19 lets assume Islam=peace and see what happens:

Indeed, the religion in the sight of Allah is (Peace). And those who were given the Scripture did not differ except after knowledge had come to them - out of jealous animosity between themselves. And whoever disbelieves in the verses of Allah, then indeed, Allah is swift in [taking] account.(3:19)

Reading the above verse one may come to the conclusion that what this verse is saying is that anybody who is "peaceful" is accepted by God regardless of whether he is a Polytheist but does it make any sense? of course not. If we were to accept this it means it contradicts with the Quranic verse:

"Say, "My Salat, my worship practises, my life and my death, are all devoted to God, the Lord of the worlds." 6:162

Now lets deal with the other meaning of Islam=submission:

Indeed, the religion in the sight of Allah is (Submission). And those who were given the Scripture did not differ except after knowledge had come to them - out of jealous animosity between themselves. And whoever disbelieves in the verses of Allah, then indeed, Allah is swift in [taking] account.(3:19)

We can see how it fits perfectly into the context of the Quranic verse.

The principal command from God in all Scripture is to worship God alone devoting all the religion to Him and rejecting all other gods:

Old Testament:
"You shall have no other gods besides Me" (Exodus 20:3)

New Testament:
"You shall worship the Lord your God. and Him only you shall serve"
(Luke 4:cool

The Quran:
"You shall know that: "There is no other god beside God" 47:19

Submission to God is the religion whereby we recognise God's absolute authority, and reach an unshakable conviction that God
alone possesses all power; no other entity possesses any power that is independent of Him. The natural result of such a realisation is to devote our lives and our
worship absolutely to God alone.

Thank you for taking your time to read. Please feel free to correct any mistakes I might have made.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Moving The Forefinger During The Tashahhud. / This Islamic Co-operative / This Happen Often : Your View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.