Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Marital Vice - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Marital Vice (58158 Views)

MARITAL SHAMBLES (COMPLETED) / Pre-marital Sex; The Underestimated Evil. / Marital Shambles - The Crumbs Of A Happy Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 5:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
crowns2:

I am still following. Weldone

I'm glad you still are, ma'am. God bless you plenty.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 5:47pm On Oct 09, 2015
aprilwise:
Why did u abandon this story for long? Pls come back nd finish cos it has a lot of lessons to learn

I didn't mean to "abandon" it and as I've promised, an everyday update should end this in two weeks. Cross my heart.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 5:48pm On Oct 09, 2015
Akposb:
You are a fine writer and your use of adjectives make every update worth reading. Hoping for a positive realistic ending.

Thanks a whole lot, sir. Your comment gives me joy smiley
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 5:55pm On Oct 09, 2015

Dr. Aladelola took off the stethoscope which had been hanging across his neck and placed it beside the sphygmomanometer on the table before taking his seat opposite both men,

"I'm sorry if that took long," he apologized as he sat.

"Oh not a problem, sir." Tolu told him sitting up in the chair.

"So how are you? I haven't seen you the past few times you dropped Niyi off."

Tolu nodded, " Yeah, sometimes I had to catch up at work quickly and whenever I returned to pick my son up, the nurse would tell me you were gone or busy," he tried explaining.

"I see. He's your friend?" The doctor nodded towards Tayo who had been watching calmly.

"Yes sir. Childhood friend. I thought we'd come together today," Tolu went on.

"So I can speak about the kid here?" The older man asked further.

Tolu smiled now, "Of course. We're like brothers," he said and turned to look at Tayo who was also smiling.

"The doctor is only trying to make sure but I can leave if there's a problem," Tayo offered easily.

The doctor however waved him down, "It's okay. I only worry about the children. That's inclusive of your son. The boy is....." He broke off and sighed.

"Is he also sick?" Tolu began worriedly.

"Not the least. At least not an illness with a medical term...... Let's talk about the the girl now, shall we?" He put his palms together and looked from Tolu to his friend.

"How's she faring? Do you reckon she'd make it?" It was Tayo who asked this time.
Looking at both men, it would have been hard to decipher who was and who wasn't the father of the patient being discussed.

"Well, we wouldn't know that. I wouldn't know that since God is the only omniscient. But from the test we've carried out most especially the regular electrocardiograms, we have confirmed her ailment and now should begin the treatment. And from your last request," he turned to Tolu who nodded him on, "I invited my friend. A renowned cardiologist to come assist in her treatment since I'm not a trained cardiologist. He's explained that a there'll be an implantation of a cardiac pacemaker where the sinus node has begun malfunctioning and some other specified medications to help curb further syncope. It's going to take a while and Sonia may not exactly get back to being normal. She'd have to be restrained from certain games and exposure immediately treatment commences. She's more fragile now and in other cases most kids would snuggle up to their mothers," the doctor took another pause here,

"Well, she lacks a mom also, so you'd just have to pray. Dr. Sam would be in Africa tomorrow for a seminar and would take a flight to Nigeria in two days for the surgery, so until he arrives, you can just hang around and make her feel a little like she has someone else other than her brother." The doctor finished calmly as a nurse knocked into the office.

"Sir, the old lady who had the foot surgery last week is complaining about sharp pains in her toe bones. I think you might want to see her," she told him politely with a hospital file in her hands.

"Alright, I'll join you now," Dr. Aladelola said getting up.

The doctor had already placed his hand on the doorknob when Tolu jumped up to his feet after him, "Sir, thank you. For everything. I've been trying to fix things. To make sure Sonia gets her mother before she ends her treatment. I've really been trying, sir. And I don't plan on giving up anytime soon. I'll fix this, trust me." Tolu said in a tone of emphasis. He couldn't do more than appreciate the doctor for every of his efforts. He wished he had a more sensible progress report to offer but he didn't.

Shrugging, the doctor turned the knob and pulled the door open, "I hope you do." He put simply and left to attend to the case.

----------------

Tayo watched his friend look out the cars' window for the umpteenth time. He had barely said a word since they left the hospital and only kept staring out the window like he was expecting to see someone wave them down.

"You know, she won't exactly be lurking on the streets." Tayo observed aloud to get his friends' attention.

"I can still hope," Tolu said calmly relaxing into his seat.

"How about we go check on people you think she was close to?" Tayo started suggestively.

Tolu shook his head, "I didn't exactly take note. She had her friend Christina but I stopped seeing her later and since it all started with Lydia, I wasn't ever around. I don't know those she worked around. I never bothered finding out. I only know her family members from default."

"That's bad. Let's check on her older brother then. Remi, right?" Tayo continued hopefully.

"I'd been there. He turned me out, swore he'd call on the police if I ever came around again after everything I'd done." He said resignedly.

"He was angry. That's natural."

Tolu sighed.

"You still know his place?" Tayo raised his eyebrows turning slightly to look at Tolu.

"Of course. But I need to pick Niyi up first. He doesn't attend the same school with his step brothers so I pick him up after work everyday."

"Alright. It'll be much better that way. Maybe Remi would calm down a bit seeing his nephew," Tayo told him calmly.
If his friend was losing touch, he needed someone who still had a grip over himself. He had to be that someone for Tolu. At least for now.

4 Likes

Re: Marital Vice by Jibbie28(f): 3:21pm On Oct 10, 2015
Thanks for the update.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2015

Remi's wife tapped her fingers against the dining table as she watched her husband observe their kids play absent-mindedly. That had been typically him since his sister had gone MIA for over a year now. As if that wasn't enough for her, his brother-in-law had to show up again that night with his son in hand alongside his friend to ask for help in finding his wife. Like who cared? She wasn't ready to lose her husband in him because he had a spoilt little sister. Not that she didn't like Deola but running off was the most childish thing she could have ever attempted.

"So what now?" She spoke aloud to get her husband's attention.

Remi shifted his attention lazily back to her, "Huh?"

"What do you mean by 'huh'? Are you going to report your sister missing now or do you still want to keep believing she's fine?" She continued agitatedly. She couldn't bear just watching by the sidelines anymore. Deola really had to be found, if not for anything else but for her children to have their dad in a normal state.

"She's fine. I believe. She just needs time." He told her simply and picked up the tv remote control.

Rachel gave a sardonic laughter, "Time? Are you kidding me? She's left for over a year. Left her children to their stepmother for that long and you say she needs time!! I'm not sorry to say this as a mother but your sister is self-centered!" She spat in annoyance.

However her husband resolved to take the calmer route, "She'll show up. I can swear on anything that she would."

"Just keep hoping then, big brother." She remarked and marched out of the living room, eyeing him as she left.

"Yeah, I'll do that. Definitely."

Just then he heard the outer iron gate make a noise as someone rapped loudly against it. He got up and sent the children in to their mother before going out to check who decided on a night visit to his house.

"I hope it's her." He said to himself as he left the living room for the dark compound, the raps getting louder.

-----------------

Mama Tolu coughed again reaching for a tumbler of water on the low table by the nearly tattered chair she occupied.

"Pele, Iya Tolu. Ara e ma bale to ba ti ya...... You would get better soon." It was her friend, Iya Ruka reassuring her from the other end of the living room where she was making a concoction of herbs.

"Ose....What would I do without you, eh?" Mama Tolu continued in appreciation of her friend.

Iya Ruka smiled slyly, "What are friends for?"

All of a sudden, Mama Tolu burst into tears as she always did at this point, "This is all because of that witch, ehn. She took my son away finally. Even her absence still tore him away from me. She still....hucuph......finished.....hucuph......me......" She burst into another round of coughs.

Iya Ruka now approached her with a calabash of foul smelling and ridiculously looking greenish liquid. The sides of the calabash were dripping with the hot contents as steam was making some sweat from Iya Ruka drip into the concoction,

"Take it hot. It'll calm you." She reassured moving ever closer to her friend.

Mama Tolu nodded trying to hold off on coughing. She wrinkled her nose to show her apparent displeasure at the smell of the herbs but still took it up and gulped fast twice. She then handed it back and quickly took some water to ease her tongue.

"There you go. Now you'll be fine," Iya Ruka reassured as she received the calabash from Mama Tolu.

Mama Tolu simply nodded helplessly. She didn't exactly have a choice especially with Tolu not the least forthcoming. She didn't have the money she always got to brag about. Lydia had been the worst daughter-in-law she could ever have had and always told her off whenever she asked her to persuade her husband to send her some money. She'd call Tolu a psycho who was searching for a nonexistent person and say he wasn't the least useful at home so why should he get bothered about 'some extended family'. Even Seyi found it hardest to go meet his brother for anything as a young graduate. He'd say he'd rather go hustling with his friends than stand Lydia's 'barking'.

That was the level of how things had gotten. Her husband had simply sniggered each time she complained. He easily brought up Deola being an angel sent to the family who got overwhelmed by darker forces from Mama Tolu and her chamchas and walked out. The bald idiot, she never ceased to say.

"At least if Deola comes back, maybe I'll be okay again. She has put her witchcraft on me as it is." She said when she found her voice.

"Hmmmn." Iya Ruka simpered and sank into a chair. Seemed the worst was here finally, she thought gaily.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:55pm On Oct 10, 2015
Jibbie28:
Thanks for the update.
You're welcome ma'am. Your username is my nickname as well so it's my pleasure smiley
Re: Marital Vice by chade(f): 10:27pm On Oct 10, 2015
waoh.......... Dis is suspense @ its peak!!!..thumbs up ma'm...
Re: Marital Vice by ahmanim: 6:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
thankz , we have been waiting
Re: Marital Vice by Captainswag225(m): 7:13pm On Oct 11, 2015
kizzykeziah:

You're welcome ma'am. Your username is my nickname as well so it's my pleasure smiley
welcome back miss, we are waiting for more updates.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:06pm On Oct 11, 2015
Chapter thirteen

---------------------

The cabdriver took a quick survey of the young lady who wheeled out her trolley bag from the arrivals terminal of the airport. Her eyes were hidden behind the thick sunshades and the light wind blew her fringed hair about. Judging from her adornment right from the dangling earrings to the Marks and Spencer stripped mauve gown which was a few inches above her knee and her simple four inch black block-heeled Predictions shoes, she definitely bore the look of someone who had left the country since a long while. Even her perfume scent was targeted at drifting one's attention easily. And she was just beautiful. He could sense it all over her, that aura of dainty was sparkling. She would definitely be a perfect customer of his, he thought to himself and approached her.

"Madam, you need a cab?"

Deola flung him a look quickly and held onto her trolley bag tightly, "I'm headed to Ikoyi. Raymond Njoku street." She told him in a flawless American accent which made the cabdriver smile. He'd been right about her after all.

"No problem. My cab is just at the park. It'll cost just...."

Deola cut him off, "Let's leave now, shall we? I'll pay you whatever it is as long as you don't charge me funny." She told him in a brisk tone while he nodded simply and offered to help her with her bag to which she waved him off.

"It's fine, thank you."

The cabdriver shrugged and led the way on to his cab at the airport car park.

As he kicked the car's engine start, Deola relaxed into the back seat of the cab that had turned out to be a Toyota Camry, one of the recent models. The fare could be expensive but she cared less, she had to get to Jummy's first. She needed a really long rest. The thinking could come later. Right now she just wanted her mind floating.

-------------------

Remi watched the young girl gulp the water from the glass cup quickly, almost choking herself. She looked up at him with a wild look in her eyes and went back to staring at the cup in her hands.
"What time did you leave Gbongan?" Remi asked her now as he went to take a seat adjacent to hers.

"This evening." She told him almost breathlessly.

"And you couldn't call? Do you know how late it is?" Remi started. To think he had thought for once that it was his sister at the gate only for it to turn out to be Tomi, his cousin who was always with their mother before her demise.

She only kept mute, still staring at her fingers.

"Would you open your mouth now?!"

"I wanted to see you and tell you what Mummy asked me to tell Aunty Deola just before she died." Tomi gave in finally. She was looking up now, her eyes on the huge portrait of Remi's mother hung beside the Samsung wall tv.

"What's gotten into you? What do you mean Mummy asked you to tell something to Deola?" Remi asked with burning curiosity fueled in him.

"I didn't mean not to talk since but because of how much grieve she was passing through and then she left early. I've tried all these while to reach to her but......." She burst now into soliloquy getting Remi more confounded.

In his confusion, he stood up abruptly and waved her to keep shut, "If you don't have anything useful to say then get to bed. You'd leave for Gbongan tomorrow morning." He told her in a tone of finality. As it was no one knew about Deola's absence in their town and he wanted it to remain just that way. Whatever Tomi had to say could rot in her.

"UNCLE REMI, SHE MUSTN'T LEAVE. SHE CAN'T LEAVE THEM. HER HUSBAND AND CHILDREN. SHE CAN'T LEAVE THEM." Tomi suddenly yawped after him.

"What?!" Remi turned around to see her already standing and nearly holding him back.

"She can't leave. That's exactly as I was asked to tell her," Tomi restated.

"Well, that's coming in quite early. I'm sure it stopped her a year and half ago!!" He shot back at her in utter disgust and slammed his way out of the house. Tomi's words were coming in so so early indeed.

-------------------------

Dr. Aladelola smiled as he saw Niyi standing at the hospital's reception, staring up at a banner that gave information about blood pressure and how to maintain a stable heart condition.

"You want to be a doctor?" He asked him as he got to his side.

The boy looked up and shrugged, "Maybe. I want to be like you. Taking care of everybody," he said looking round the hospital.

Though the doctor wasn't the only one who worked in the hospital, he was the most respected. Most patients who'd been there before always requested for his diagnosis of their ailments, believing he was right always. That was part of the reasons his recent promotion to assistant medical director didn't come in surprisingly to the other members of the clinical staff.

"Maybe God takes care of them all and I'm just here as someone he's using." The doctor told his young friend smilingly.

"Maybe. But why didn't he take care of Sonny? And my mummy? She was always crying before daddy took us away." Niyi started.
That was going to be the first time he would speak to the doctor about his mother. He always thought it shameful to his mum to tell someone she didn't know that she always cried, but now he didn't even realize Dr. Aladelola was a stranger. Maybe the one month he'd spent hanging around the hospital made him feel more cordial with the doctor. And maybe the doctor's effort in trying to break through to him were finally paying off.

"Maybe you were there to help her stop crying each time and that spoilt her." The doctor suggested again.

Niyi nodded, "But what about Sonny? Will she ever be fine again?" He switched concernedly.

"She would if you believe. I told you the operation was successful, didn't I?"

"You did. But she's still not talking."

"She would in time. She's not yet out of it for now. Just a little more time I assure you." The doctor reassured and pushed open the door to Sonia's hospital room as they had been walking all the while.

"Will you keep your promise then? Take us to stay with you." Niyi asked pausing at the entrance as the doctor reached the bedside.

"Of course. I'll try."

Niyi smiled at the doctor and went to his sister's bedside. Now that the nice doctor had promised, he just had to pray and wait till Sonny got better.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:08pm On Oct 11, 2015
Captainswag225:
welcome back miss, we are waiting for more updates.

Thanks, I'll try to keep up with the updating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marital Vice by harjibolar10(m): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2015
Now, natty namesake is back

Welcome back on board sis, me ayaf miss you ooo

So, bring it on!!!!
Re: Marital Vice by Rukkydelta(f): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2015
I just came across this thread and it has been a nice story so far
Re: Marital Vice by Jibbie28(f): 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2015
kizzykeziah:

Whao!!! i'm so happy.... cool
kizzykeziah:

Whao!!! i'm so happy....
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:53pm On Oct 13, 2015

The water had stopped running in the shower and Jummy could hear her friend about stepping out the adjoining bathroom. She has thought Deola would still be in bed considering the number of hours she spent in flight but to her surprise, she'd heard movements in the bedroom which was just opposite hers in the four bedroom duplex for the past one hour and only left Deola to sort herself out before checking up on her. They had surprisingly not spoken much since Deola's arrival the previous night. The latter had spent most of the time they could have spent talking on her laptop, clicking away all through. She understood why Deola wasn't too comfortable talking was mostly because her brother was the one she'd been around throughout her stay in the United States. But that didn't mean they didn't have a lot to discuss. They'd still have to whether Deola wished it or not.

Her eyes flew through the bedroom and stopped on the open trolley bag on the bed. The clothes that were spilling out had the fragrance of quality and design all over. Adeola was definitely living the part. The bed sheets were rumpled and Deola's handbag was tossed to a side of the bed carelessly spilling her travel documents. Jummy sighed and went to pull open the curtains to let in a stream of light from the rising sun. Deola stepped out of the bathroom into the bedroom just then.

Still handling with the curtains, a smile crossed her lips,"You didn't sleep for long? No jetlag?" She asked turning slowly to look at Deola. She just had the aura of someone else entirely. Even her hair had taken her aback when she saw her the previous day with the new appearance. She hadn't expected this when Deola took that flight out a year and half ago. Not many people shed thousands of layers out of them in less than two years.

"Not the least. I'm fine." Deola told her and went to the dressing mirror. She pulled open the first drawer and took out a body cream which she applied dexterously over her skin.

"How's Kansas?" Jummy asked, sitting at the edge of the bed watching Deola get dressed.

"Great also. Did I mention Tim went to see a friend in Brookville and promised he'd call you once he got back home?" Deola told her as she pulled a sprigged blouse over her head.

"He called me last night. Just before you came in," Jummy continued in a serious tone placing her palms together.

Deola smiled wryly, "Alright then. That's good."

Unable to keep her calm any longer, Jummy got off the bed and pulled Deola around to face her taking the latter by surprise, "Are you really doing this? You do realize Tim's my brother, don't you?"

"What do you mean?" Deola retorted lazily. She wasn't ready for some chat with Jummy. Especially not where she was headed concerning her brother.

Jummy continued in the same heated tone, "What do I what? I introduced you to him, not so you'd date him but to get on your feet. Have you lost it now?! Did you forget about your children easily?! You think you're a free lady now? Kansas water sucked into your thoughts or what?!" She shot in anger at Deola who simply shrugged her hands free and used the back of her palm to brush off tears from her eyes.

"Would you keep your voice down, please? Why do you think I'm here?!" That was all she could manage to say as she sank into the bed.

"I won't keep my voice down, Deola. I'm your friend and anyone who has been around us would think us closest. They'd expect that I convinced you into taking off. You know, after all the talk that night, your leaving with my brother in a month not informing me beforehand about your decision threw me into worries. I kept wondering what I'd tell anyone who came to me to ask after you only for you to put a call through to me after three months with my brother's phone saying you were fine now. I know Timmy could have pulled strings with getting you a visa but I thought we were more than that. I thought you saw me as a sister, Deola. I should have known better, damn it. And now you're all different and everything that I don't even know what to say about the 'you' in front of me now." Jummy told her as it had been on her mind to all the while. She didn't even know whether she felt better or otherwise now with Deola's muteness.

They both kept silent for a few more minutes with each of them staring at nothing.
"I kept having nightmares about my baby. I don't know what Tolu's wife had done to my kids so I came down to Nigeria. Tim understands that. I'm glad I met him through you. He's awesome, I must say but I want my babies. They're all I've got and I'm all they've got. Your brother did put up with me well. Jeez, I was so hysterical but he helped me up. Told me to get over myself and see the real world but I couldn't. All I saw was Niyi and Sonny everytime. I just couldn't anymore, Jummy." Deola told her friend who was sitting beside her now, fighting back the tears welled up in her lachrymals.

"It's okay to cry, you know?" Jummy said reassuringly patting Deola softly.

Deola however stifled the tears and inhaled deeply, "And I'm not in with Tim, just so you'd know. He expects more from me but I've told him and I'm telling you too now that there's nothing there, okay?"

" I know that. You didn't get over your husband, I'm sure." Jummy stated but got a dark look from Deola who rounded off dressing and pulled her handbag close,
"I need to see my brother today. I called him once but couldn't say anything so I just hung up. He must be dead worried." She said and flipped through her bag contents.

Jummy reached for the airplane ticket then before Deola could stop her,
"First class? Wow, Timmy impresses me by the day," she teased and flinched her eyes suddenly, "What the... Return ticket? I thought you said you wanted your kids? You're leaving in two weeks?!" She exclaimed in disbelief.

Deola grabbed the airplane ticket from her, "I can't hang around for long, you know that."

Jummy only nodded and stood to leave, "I made breakfast. You can come around when you're ready."

"No work? Or you're just being nice to your friend?" Deola asked as her as she walked across to the door.

Shrugging, Jummy left her while she lay back into the comfy bed. She really had to take to thinking now.

Tolu shut the glass door behind him to join the doctor who was standing by along the corridor. He walked up to join him, "Is there a problem with Sonia? A complication?" He asked, his voice faltering.

The doctor suppressed a laugh, "Don't be a pessimist. I only wanted to confirm something from you if it's alright." He told him patting his shoulder.

Tolu let out a breath of relief, "I was just worried when you signaled to speak to me."

"You shouldn't be. How's their mother now? I haven't seen her in the past month and it's running into two months since your girl's admission here." He started in a concerned voice. He'd taken to the family of the young man easily especially because of the son. His initial anger at Tolu's ignorance of his daughter's health status had led into interest right from the onset.

"I haven't heard from her still but that's just by the way for now. I'm ready to take Sonia along whenever you deem fit for her discharge." Tolu reassured the doctor. He wasn't ready to discuss Deola's absence easily with anyone. It wasn't something he was exactly proud of after all. He just wanted to move on if it was ever possible.

The doctor cleared his throat now. He should speak now, he thought and began, "What if your kids don't want to come with you?"

Tolu laughed simply, "Why would they say that? It's not as though there's some else to take them in." He said before looking up and noticing the seriousness in the doctor's countenance.

"Your son asked me to take him along with his sister whenever she got better. I'm wondering why he'd plead for that. Is he being maltreated at home. Is there something he doesn't want to return to? Or someone?" Dr. Aladelola asked him in a voice that made him sound like he was Tolu's father or uncle.

Tolu stayed mute, his mouth falling agape. How on earth would his son want to leave him? And to a stranger at that? It was unfathomable to him. Incomprehensible. No matter how much of a bit*ch Lydia was, he had always tried to make sure the boy as well as his sister had moments of fun. They even enjoyed playing with the twins now and he really thought he had it under control but how could Niyi say he wanted to leave home?

"Hmmm?!" The doctor started trying to get Tolu to speak. He had suddenly gone mute for reasons he could only guess.

Tolu blinked and swallowed quickly, "I appreciate your concern for my family and your interest also. But no matter what, nothing would make me separate my children from me and to a stranger at that. No offences intended, sir." He told him matter-of-factly and turned away from the doctor.

The doctor however called after him, "I'm concerned about those children and if the conditions at home don't match up well, I'd have to offer taking them in. So just know that I'm well available whenever you have a rethink," he told him and turned away from him, taking the other way down to his office.

"I can't take her home. It's not safe with Lydia. She's such a....." Tolu cut off at and swore under his breath as he sat in the front passenger seat of Tayo's car.

Tayo stopped with starting up the car and sat back into his seat. They had just spoken to another doctor who was on duty who told them Sonia was to be discharged the next day if no complications arose over the night. Rather than rendering a smile on Tolu's face, it had thrown him into worry about where he was going to put the girl.
He fully understood that having met with Lydia on a few occasions since he came more often to Lagos in the last month. She was just as Tolu had painted her. A tyrant.

"We could take her in. My wife would be more than ready to take care of her like our own," Tayo offered to Tolu who had throw his head back into the car's headrest.

Tolu looked at him through the corner of his eyes and returned to staring at the windscreen,
"Thanks, man. I totally appreciate that but you really think I'd accept it?"

Tayo shook his head slowly, "Then you should leave the house for Lydia. That's the most sensible thing you can do. You're not legally married after all." He continued suggestively.

"And my twins? I'd leave her to train them and ruin them?" Tolu retorted instantly. He hadn't really thought he cared about them also up until now.

"And Niyi? You care less about him? You do realize he takes all the backlash, don't you?" Tayo put in quickly. He wasn't ready to let Tolu return to a lifestyle that would make his life end easily. The whole issue was telling on him and he was sure if they returned to the hospital premises to carry out a blood pressure test on him, it would read far above normal. He was sure about that.

"I know that too. He told the doctor he wanted to move in with him." Tolu told his friend now. The discussion with the doctor the previous day had been weighing on his mind since then. How he'd being so nonchalant all the while not realizing how damaging it became to his son's thinking that he even wished to leave him to his life.

"What do you mean he wants to leave?" Tayo asked in disbelief. He always looked at Niyi as that kid who was in oversized cap at his kid sister's naming ceremony. He didn't think the boy had thoughts of his own to that degree.

"The doctor told me yesterday that my children are free to come stay with him if the 'living conditions' at home were suitable enough and my son had no objection to that anyways." Tolu stated further and sat up in his seat.

"Why don't we leave now? I'd think about finding somewhere else to move with all the kids by tomorrow. There's still our house at Ikoyi. I kept up with the rent in case Deola showed up. So that's an option." Tolu went on when Tayo couldn't bring himself to speak.

Obliging, Tayo kick started the engine and they left the hospital's car park.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2015
harjibolar10:
Now, natty namesake is back

Welcome back on board sis, me ayaf miss you ooo

So, bring it on!!!!

Best namesake. Missed you here smiley
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2015
Rukkydelta:
I just came across this thread and it has been a nice story so far

Thanks ma'am. I hope you'd stay around till the end.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 9:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
Jibbie28:
Whao!!! i'm so happy.... cool Whao!!! i'm so happy....

cheesy cheesy
Re: Marital Vice by Jibbie28(f): 8:04am On Oct 14, 2015
Despite all.....Deola has been favoured by God...... Nice update kizzy
Re: Marital Vice by Oche211(m): 9:15am On Oct 14, 2015
U re welcome back kizzy.
Nice updates.
D story keeps getting interesting wit every updates. Can't wait to knw what becomes of mama Tolu who pushes her mumu son to d market to buy a large dose of High blood pressure (HBP).
Really feel 4 Niyi nd Sonny, those kids don suffer no be small...*pains of kids 4rm broken homes around d world, they re d "lost children"*
Re: Marital Vice by Oche211(m): 9:28am On Oct 14, 2015
* i still maintain my seat at d front in dis cinemas with Hennyhorlah. No trespassing*
popcorn seller, abeg give everyone in d house pop-corn. I go pay bt d drink go be later.
Why dis cinemas dey scanty like dis na?. We need a full house joor, make i call some people to come join us.
Cc
adefunke62
chijudith
ayox1
old2boy
labask
clarakings
lenmafon
Bhummieluv
Hennyhorlah
Adeh39
SmilingB1
almadebe
Brownish24
ollyfad
jezuzboi
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 4:22pm On Oct 14, 2015
Oche211:
* i still maintain my seat at d front in dis cinemas with Hennyhorlah. No trespassing*
popcorn seller, abeg give everyone in d house pop-corn. I go pay bt d drink go be later.
Why dis cinemas dey scanty like dis na?. We need a full house joor, make i call some people to come join us.
Cc
adefunke62
chijudith
ayox1
old2boy
labask
clarakings
lenmafon
Bhummieluv
Hennyhorlah
Adeh39
SmilingB1
almadebe
Brownish24
ollyfad
jezuzboi

P.R.O. of life, thanks a bunch. I owe you one or maybe more, it depends on you cool
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 4:25pm On Oct 14, 2015
Jibbie28:
Despite all.....Deola has been favoured by God...... Nice update kizzy
Nicknamesake..... You really think she's been favoured??

Thanks for sticking around, BTW. smiley
Re: Marital Vice by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
Plz make my lil one kick again in my tummy wit dix story... Jex started reading it today n I feel so sad it wasn't complete.
Re: Marital Vice by aprilwise(m): 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2015
Kizzy, this is a wonderful masterpiece.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 10:15pm On Oct 14, 2015

Tolu's father watched his wife take a seat on the bench when she had climbed onto the balcony of the house. He waited until she was well settled, already blowing air to herself with the edge of her wrapper and wading off mosquitoes as the nighttime curtains fell easily revealing the bright moon as it crept into full view quickly.

"Mama Tolu, don't you think we should go and see our granddaughter who's sick at Lagos?" He began when she hadn't said anything to him since she'd been seated.

Mama Tolu looked at him in a simple glance and returned to sending off mosquitoes out of her face.

"Tolu told me the last time he called that they may have had to open up her heart to put something there so that she would stay alive," he continued seeing she hadn't still spoken. She couldn't be this nonchalant, he believed.

This time however, Mama Tolu didn't bother looking at him, she simply heaved and turned to face the full moonlight which was now up in full fledge.

"I should be leaving for Lagos tomorrow morning so that I'd join Tolu at the hospital to thank the doctor he told me about. He said the man had been nice enough since it started so I told him I'd like to thank him as his father." He continued in the hope of getting a reply from his wife who hissed and got up now.

"Mtchew, Obo n gbe obo pon..... If her mother's family is after her, why should I be bothered?" She told him indifferently and went into the house.

Her husband sighed, shaking his head after her. Was she just irredeemable? That however wasn't to discourage him from the trip he decided on embarking the next day. If his son needed family, then he could at least present himself as father. And moreover, he had some important discussions he needed to make with his son. His feelings as an older man however told him the next day wasn't to go as simply as it had been laid out to follow.

Deola tapped at the door again. She really hoped someone was at least around to answer the door. She lifted her hand about to make one more attempt before asking the neighbors whether they had seen her brother's family leave for somewhere that day though it was a weekend and early enough at that, when the door got unlocked from within and she saw her brother standing there, trying to hold off his little daughter from running out the minute the door opened.

"Brother Remi....." Deola gasped in a mixed feeling of relief and expectation. Albeit, the smile that came to her face disappeared almost immediately seeing the expression on her brother's face. She didn't know if it was disgust or joy or...... Still trying to judge what it was, her brother pulled her into a bear hug. It took him almost five minutes before he let go of her that she thought she might choke before that.

"I'm sorry for not calling. I just didn't find it any easy to say I had left it all. I wasn't being......" She had started crying when Remi pulled her into the house and shut the door behind them.

"Calm down at least. You'd explain it all once you've calmed down a bit." Remi reassured her as Deola sat at the edge of a sofa. Rachel, Remi's wife who had also come out of the bedroom to see who the visitor was also was taken by surprise when she saw her sister-in-law.

"Deola? God knows we were so worried? What happened?" Rachel began and went to hug her husband's sister.

Deola sniffed gently and took out a handkerchief from her handbag, "I only came yesterday and thought I'd catch you in since it's a weekend."

"Yeah, we went to a church vigil last night so that explains not answering the door any sooner." Rachel explained to her as her husband began pacing the living room. He must have been dead worried, Deola thought as she watched him through teary eyes.

"From where did you arrive?" Remi finally brought himself to ask. He'd been thinking of the right question to ask her as he paced the living room. That seemed right enough to ask for now. Where had she been?

Deola put her handkerchief away and cleared her throat, the talk was starting now,

"Kansas, U.S.A...." She hardly began when Remi cut in,

"Of course, I know where Kansa is!! I mean, how come? You left like someone without a family to know about your whereabouts. For God's sake, Tumise stays in the France, couldn't you at least have called him if you needed somewhere to run to? And where did you even get a visa?" Remi asked her his twenty questions all at once leaving his sister confused which she was to retort to first.

Finally, she simply told him, "It was over already. My marriage, that is. He'd taken my children from me and I really thought it over before I went to my friend, Jummy. You might not know her but I left Nigeria with her brother. He's been a great help since and I don't regret leaving." Deola finished defiantly. She had only come to see her brother out of courtesy knowing fully well she could get emotional around him. She didn't want to feel the least remorseful. She had a reason for coming down home and nothing was going to hold her back in two weeks from taking a cab to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport.

"I see. So you've remarried?" Remi asked her in a disappointed voice. He wouldn't feel sorry for her if she didn't for herself.

Deola shrugged," Not yet."

"But you would?"

"Maybe. And I thought you'd support me on this. You know how irresponsible Tolu was. How I took pains to get through my life. You should support me without blinking, brother!" Deola said getting off the sofa. She didn't think Remi would be this way. She really thought he'd understand her reason for taking flight out immediately.

"I wouldn't support your not fighting to get your children and putting your trust in strangers, Adeola. Our mother didn't teach you to become a mother hen that abandoned her chicks at the mercies of cannibals!" Remi yelled at her also as they stood face to face, Deola just a few inches shorter.

"Leave mother out!! They would have survived it, I'm sure and Tolu could at least hold on to his children a few months!" Deola told him sharply. If he wanted a debate, she was ready to fill him points.

"Those few months that gave your daughter a heart disease!!" Remi finally disclosed. He had wanted to tell her immediately she arrived of her daughter's ailment but her sudden defiance had held him back.

Deola was about yelling something back when understanding struck her at once. Her baby was having a heart what?!
"What happened to my baby?!" She shouted, panicking immediately. Looking straight into Remi's eyes, she expected some sort of eye signal that would assure her she heard wrong.

"Tolu came here a few weeks back with his friend and Niyi to ask if I had heard anything from you and also inform me that Sonia was on admission at a hospital because she'd come down sick with a heart malady. I had checked on her once but intended going later today since she's getting out today. Tolu told me......" He hadn't finished explaining when Deola who was now down on the marbled floor yelled in anger,

"That bast*ard!!! Son of a bitc*h. I would so kill him with my own hands, I swear!!" She swore as she got on her feet.

"It's not your husband's fault that made your daughter sick?" Remi started reasonably when Deola added hurriedly.

"Can we leave now? Or would you rather give me the hospital's address?!" She asked him looking out through the window.

"I'd be out of my mind to let you leave here this way." Remi told her as a matter of fact and walked out of the living room to get dressed leaving her with his wife and children who could do nothing but watch.
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 10:16pm On Oct 14, 2015
Benignasweety:
Plz make my lil one kick again in my tummy wit dix story... Jex started reading it today n I feel so sad it wasn't complete.

Lol, and don't get sad. It's almost done anyways....
Re: Marital Vice by kizzykeziah: 10:17pm On Oct 14, 2015
aprilwise:
Kizzy, this is a wonderful masterpiece.
Thank you, sir. Means a lot.... smiley
Re: Marital Vice by Oche211(m): 7:07am On Oct 15, 2015
kizzykeziah:

P.R.O. of life, thanks a bunch. I owe you one or maybe more, it depends on you cool
i'll want d more as updates...
Loving this with every new update. U re an awesome writer kizzy. Keep it up.
Re: Marital Vice by Rukkydelta(f): 8:48am On Oct 15, 2015
Nice update
Re: Marital Vice by maryjoyce(f): 10:05am On Oct 15, 2015
I have been following this story right from the start (a silent reader though) but I can't keep it to myself. Again. Thumbs up girl. This is......... In fact, too much. More grease to your power. The last phase got me emotional. But Remi is right when he said Deola couldn't fight to get her kids back. Anyways we all are humans... I wouldn't blame her cos she needed that time off. Hope to read from you soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

TWO MAN BUSINESS - (The Complete Series) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' / International Magazine Rejects Chimamanda Adichie's Photos. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.