Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee (726 Views)

Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / Soldiers Beat Up Voter For Taking Their Pictures In Surulere / Naval Officers Beat Up A Lady And Stripped Her - Watch Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by lagbaja(m): 9:16am On Jan 24, 2009
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20090124161715

Naval ratings beat up female Punch employee
By James Azania
Published: Saturday, 24 Jan 2009
Six ratings of the Nigerian Navy, operating within the premises of Apapa Ports, on Friday, assaulted a female member of staff of PUNCH Nigeria Limited, Mrs Bola Adeyemi, who was on official assignment.

In an incident reminiscent of last year’s manhandling of 26-year-old Miss Uzoma Okere by naval ratings attached to Rear Admiral Harry Arogundade, the officers assaulted Adeyemi, in an attempt to seize her mobile phone. She had used it to take pictures of their vehicle, while they were extorting truckers. The woman’s offence was that she took picture of the white-coloured pick-up van, with registration number FG 209A19, which the naval ratings operated in as they made to leave after receiving N10,000 as bribes from a driver engaged by her.

According to the woman, trouble began when a company, Mediterranean Shipping Company, was off-loading empty containers, at the same time that a truck hired by her on behalf of PUNCH Nigeria Limited was doing same, leading to space constraint.

She narrated that it was at this point that the uniformed men impounded her vehicle, threatening to take both its driver and the truck down to Maza-Maza Police station.

She continued, “But, along the line, an agreement was reached between the truck driver and the ratings, who accepted N10,000 from him.” She said she succeeded in getting the picture of the ratings’ vehicle with her mobile handset, as they made to leave. Apparently, one of them saw her and signalled to the others to disembark from their vehicle.

She continued, “Upon disembarking, they descended on me, first by ransacking the pockets of my skirt in an attempt to get hold of the phone with which I took the shot. While this went on, one of them rained some slaps on my face but the phone was in my clothes and they were unable to access it, while I held on to another.”

She said the assault attracted a crowd and, “at this point, one of them said this was becoming dangerous and they fled from the scene. But I held on to the one that slapped me and would not let go. They held my hands separately but I did not release any of my phones, while at the same time I tried to dictate my office phone numbers to one of the onlookers to assist me in getting across to the office. At this point, the commotion became so much, and the ratings decided to make a run for it, forcing their way through.”

When our correspondent contacted the Director of Naval Information, Commodore David Nabaida, he promised to investigate the matter. He later called back to direct our correspondent to forward the matter to the Commanding Officer, NNS Beecroft, Capt. Israel, whom he said was in charge of affairs in that area.
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by Macvyno(m): 9:21am On Jan 24, 2009
Realllllllllllllly!!! shocked embarassed
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by CCampbell(m): 9:45am On Jan 24, 2009
Cry, the beloved country. When will this madness stop?
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by princekevo(m): 11:32am On Jan 24, 2009
When our correspondent contacted the Director of Naval Information, Commodore David Nabaida, he promised to investigate the matter. [color=#006600][/color]

Please can someone tell me wht came out of the investigation of Uzoma Okere's case? Coz it seems this same statement is now being used to silence every crime commited against civilians,
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by multebrain(m): 12:05pm On Jan 24, 2009
na wa for this naval people they no dey shame at all i think nigeria govt need to carry them go hospital
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by anonimi: 7:07pm On Jan 24, 2009
princekevo:

When our correspondent contacted the Director of Naval Information, Commodore David Nabaida, he promised to investigate the matter. [/color]

Please can someone tell me wht came out of the investigation of Uzoma Okere's case? Coz it seems this same statement is now being used to silence every crime commited against civilians,

You can see the status of Uzoma's case [color=#990000]here

* Naval panel report submitted to Presidency
** Civil damages court case adjourned till Feb. 23. I hope these LASU students will mobilise and rally for solidarity on that day at the venue.

By God's grace, this barbaric, bestial behaviour WILL STOP.
NEVER AGAIN in 21st century Nigeria!!!

The Punch reporter should also get a good legal team and sue them for civil damages.
It is only by following up with court cases that these godogodos will learn that khaki no be leather, na tailor dey sew am. They are also subject to the laws of Nigeria.
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Jan 24, 2009
Don't mess with the press.
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by Muza(m): 8:24pm On Jan 24, 2009
This is a sick country we livin in! angry
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 24, 2009
Seun

Hope u dont count urself a press man
Re: Again, Naval Ratings Beat Up Female Punch Employee by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 24, 2009
Seun

Hope u dont count urself a press man

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Build The Lagos Of Our Dreams / Rubuen Abati Must Say Something!!! / What Is Essence Of Leaving If Not To Leave A Legacy For The Upcoming Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.