Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,236 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (74984 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by popson1st: 11:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

You are right
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 05, 2015
If you had carried her bag, gradually she would have turned you into a sort of "house boy". She would start sending you to buy food for her and make coffee (or tea) for her in the office.

My friend had a similar experience with his boss and got fired, the boss was actually telling other staff that my friend should come and beg him - but my friend said he would NOT beg him since he did not do anything wrong.

Bottom line: if you have no hope of earning any income and you have the slavery mentality, you can go and beg her. If not, look for another job or become self employed.

klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:13am On Apr 05, 2015
He is a professional (5 years plus in the Unviversity to study Architecture) and NOT a domestic staff. If the issue was a trivial one, why did she fire him for not carrying her bag? She would have seen it as something to just shout at him for and then let it go.

frisky2good:
What is so difficult about carrying a handbag? If it was a male boss that asked you to carry his briefcase, won't you carry it? Most guys think it is an insult to carry a lady's handbag but they don't understand that it takes a lot of trust for a lady to even allow you to carry her handbag. 9 out of 10 times, you will get sacked if you continue to have the African mentality that a man should never carry a lady's handbag. Swallow your pride and give her a call. Give her one excuse for not carrying the bag and apologise for your behavior. Once she sees that she has humbled you, she will take you back. Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 05, 2015
teeowl:
He is a professional (5 years plus in the Unviversity to study Architecture) and NOT a domestic staff. If the issue was a trivial one, why did she fire him for not carrying her bag? She would have seen it as something to just shout at him for and then let it go.

She is obviously a bitch.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by oshaosha2014(m): 8:54am On Apr 07, 2015
Braggante:

Bro u too get sense. It's sad how people here are calling the guy proud or arrogant. It shows how we have lost all sense of honor and dignity as a people, all for daily bread. Here's a story like that in the bible, where one guy eagerly gave away his birth right for porridge. Obviously many nigerians will do same if in that position.

It's not about insubordination or rudeness, cos bag carrying is not part of his work, unless he is her PA or secretary. So those abusing the OP obviously think low of themselves- low self esteem.
To me it's about human dignity, talk less of being a man. If it were his wife, no problem, but an employer in an office environment, no.

I also think he did the right thing by refusing. And I applaud his boldness at that. If u can't stand for something, u fall for everything.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by boluyongp(m): 3:45pm On Apr 07, 2015
Dude, you are NOT wrong. You kept your respect and dignity. She's not the only employer in the world, you'll get a better job. She'll forever be ashamed she fired you for such flimsy reason, she can't even be able to tell her friends or anyone what she did. It quite amazing how some men are talking here, they suck up to a younger woman who is their contemporary when at work and then be beating their wives and acting James Bond at home. Weaklings and local champions. You are a REAL man OP, your street credibility is intact.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Ngozi24(f): 5:35pm On Apr 07, 2015
You weren't wrong. Its quite unfortunate the country we find ourselves today.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mayosky15754: 7:41pm On Apr 07, 2015
H

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 13, 2015
^^

Boss-lady was trying to 'house-break' the poor guy. Next she'll start sending him to get her lunch, to deposit that bag in the car at close of work, everyday.

The implications of this affair go beyond the effect on his manly pride or ego, but am surprised most people on here are typically nigerian and cannot see it. It strikes at the very heart of the corporate ethos, of the functional organisation.

What is his function in that establishment, and how does her visible relationship with him undermine his ability to perform that fu ction effectively? even the office assistants whose role she has stupidly assigned to a professional colleague, will find it difficult to take that architect seriously (not to talk of his fellow architects and other co-workers) after they have seen him carrying her bag up and down and running stupid errands for her.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by preetyrozy: 12:15am On Apr 15, 2015
hmmmm...who de find something na him hand de long pass.
Bro,take heart and move on. :-
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 10:15am On Apr 16, 2015
eyeview:
You weren't wrong. It was never stated in the offer letter that you job description included carrying her hand bag. She has inferiority complex and she could only overcome it by seeing you do attend to her domestic needs. She wanted to cross the line and you didn't let her. That's the same way some people get to start doing uncomplimentary things to keep their jobs. You were a man.
Don't feel bad,other jobs will turn up.

But he would have done it if she was a man. Its the problem with society and how men look down on women. He should be respectful he is an employee.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 10:20am On Apr 16, 2015
ziddy:
^^

Boss-lady was trying to 'house-break' the poor guy. Next she'll start sending him to get her lunch, to deposit that bag in the car at close of work, everyday.

The implications of this affair go beyond the effect on his manly pride or ego, but am surprised most people on here are typically nigerian and cannot see it. It strikes at the very heart of the corporate ethos, of the functional organisation.

What is his function in that establishment, and how does her visible relationship with him undermine his ability to perform that fu ction effectively? even the office assistants whose role she has stupidly assigned to a professional colleague, will find it difficult to take that architect seriously (not to talk of his fellow architects and other co-workers) after they have seen him carrying her bag up and down and running stupid errands for her.

You are extrapolating, you can't infer that from his statement. She asked a simple request and he ignored her. She deemed this disrespectful and not healthy for the workplace.

What if she was a man?, he would do it. Its rare to find female bosses, and people want to disrespect. Peoples attitudes need to move forward in the 21st century.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
Did you get that she is his "contemporary"? It means that they are on the same level or their years of graduation is either the same or very close. The only edge is that her father is the owner of the company. He is a professional and NOT a domestic staff. There have almost the same level of experience and qualification.... get the picture right.

If she was a man, he would still do the same thing if he is his contemporary!

Contemporary = Mates = The same level of work experience = The same level of qualification

She is NOT the owner of the company, her father is!

Mandu94:

You are extrapolating, you can't infer that from his statement. She asked a simple request and he ignored her. She deemed this disrespectful and not healthy for the workplace.

What if she was a man?, he would do it. Its rare to find female bosses, and people want to disrespect. Peoples attitudes need to move forward in the 21st century.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2015
Have you informed the main boss (her father) about what happened? He might give you back your Job.

klark3:

Was I wrong?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
teeowl:
Did you get that she is his "contemporary"? It means that they are on the same level or their years of graduation is either the same or very close. The only edge is that her father is the owner of the company. He is a professional and NOT a domestic staff. There have almost the same level of experience and qualification.... get the picture right.

If she was a man, he would still do the same thing if he is his contemporary!

Contemporary = Mates = The same level of work experience = The same level of qualification

She is NOT the owner of the company, her father is!

I'm afraid to say he said she is lucky to be the "manager", hmm what does this imply. I wonder..
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
Meaning he must have handled more building projects than her and he finished University before her... the only reason why she is his manager is because she is the daughter of the owner of the company. This is the exact same scenario I saw in the Quantity Surveying firm that I worked in during my IT. The owner son was made the manager even though he had lesser work experience than others. There were more qualified Quantity Surveyors with more work experience, yet the owner of the practice made his son the manager...

Mandu94:

I'm afraid to say he said she is lucky to be the "manager", hmm what does this imply. I wonder..
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by nerdyorion: 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
An IT/Software company in Lagos which specializes in developing web and mobile applications desires to employ fresh graduates (Awaiting NYSC, Serving or recently

completed NYSC) to fill available vacancies.

- Strong knowledge of IT, preferably a background in computer science, engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Must have basic programming knowledge and be ready to learn e.g. .NET, SQL Server, Mobile App Development
- Must be intelligent, self-disciplined, confident and ready to work
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Must not be above 28 years

Interested candidates should kindly send CV to info@mobilixe.com on or before Tuesday 21th of April 2015.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by chachanga: 5:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
@you weren't wrong in principle and in every sense, in fact, as stated above, you shld prolly get ur lawyer &sue her for wrongful dismissal angry.

On d other hand, in d light of future engagements and considering d fact that employer /employee dynamics are seriously skewed in many quarters of private sector Naija, try reading and imbibing some of Robert Greene's 48 Laws Of Power tips.(it really helped me navigate d post-school paid employment culture shock I encountered back in da day).

Don't expect that everything coming to you's gonna be as stated in ur employment contract wink.

I don't believe half d niggas on d thread hyping ur balls of iron angry and i dont expect ur gonna be soaking up dat ish either; tongue (quite a few are wishing dey wuz in ur shoes right now dreaming of all da creative ways dey wld go crawling, slobbering all over her shoes just to get dat ur type of a promising position back grin.)

Am waiting to see how many of dem Joe's defending ur rights are gonna be willing to spare you a buck cool if we boyz had to $quare you some fr€e chang£ in dis ur difficult transition period, ehn embarassed??!!

So, y'see. Na Oyo u dey o!

God bless ur hustle sha cool, Peace!!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 9:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
teeowl:
Meaning he must have handled more building projects than her and he finished University before her... the only reason why she is his manager is because she is the daughter of the owner of the company. This is the exact same scenario I saw in the Quantity Surveying firm that I worked in during my IT. The owner son was made the manager even though he had lesser work experience than others. There were more qualified Quantity Surveyors with more work experience, yet the owner of the practice made his son the manager...

Omg, are you serious? She is the MANAGER regardless, he has to respect her authority in the company. He is an employee and needs to abide to the structure of the company. He is there to do a job not to decipher who is fit for a manger's role or not. This is simply a matter of the man's inflated ego because of societal conditioning.

There will be more women leaders, suck it up and get ready for change. #Equality for women.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
he did his Job which is being a loyal and faithful Architect. And his job is not to carry women's hand bags. He is going to get another job, employment is not too difficult for Architects, the issue is always how much is the salary.

PS: he did not disrespect her, he just diplomatically avoided carrying the hand bag. He was fired for not carrying a simple hand bag. It shows how petty she is. A woman with a heathy self esteem might scold him and just forget the issue. And They were not in the office... she asked him to carry her bag from the car to the office, what happened to her hands? If it was some building drawings or models, he would have done it since it relates to the company's business.

Mandu94:

Omg, are you serious? She is the MANAGER regardless, he has to respect her authority in the company. He is an employee and needs to abide to the structure of the company. He is there to do a job not to decipher who is fit for a manger's role or not. This is simply a matter of the man's inflated ego because of societal conditioning.

There will be more women leaders, suck it up and get ready for change. #Equality for women.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 5:37am On Apr 17, 2015
teeowl:
he did his Job which is being a loyal and faithful Architect. And his job is not to carry women's hand bags. He is going to get another job, employment is not too difficult for Architects, the issue is always how much is the salary.

PS: he did not disrespect her, he just diplomatically avoided carrying the hand bag. He was fired for not carrying a simple hand bag. It shows how petty she is. A woman with a heathy self esteem might scold him and just forget the issue. And They were not in the office... she asked him to carry her bag from the car to the office, what happened to her hands? If it was some building drawings or models, he would have done it since it relates to the company's business.

That's where you miss the point, it wasn't trivial as he displayed uttermost disrespect by entirely un-acknowledging her request. This means he undermines her authority therefore it is essential that he is fired to sustain a healthy workforce and environment. This has nothing to do with her self esteem, it is simply the problem many men have as a result of patriarchy over centuries. This very primitive mindset will cause society to be quite restricted. And be very honest to yourself, he would have behaved differently is she was a man.
#Equality for women
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 18, 2015
Mandu94:

That's where you miss the point, it wasn't trivial as he displayed uttermost disrespect by entirely un-acknowledging her request. This means he undermines her authority therefore it is essential that he is fired to sustain a healthy workforce and environment. This has nothing to do with her self esteem, it is simply the problem many men have as a result of patriarchy over centuries. This very primitive mindset will cause society to be quite restricted. And be very honest to yourself, he would have behaved differently is she was a man.
#Equality for women

I doubt if you've ever worked in a structured organization before. Even if she were a man her request would still be illegal.
When you exit your ride at the office can hand your briefcase to your p.a, your driver or your orderly or something. Never to a professional colleague unless he willingly grabs it because he sucks your arsze or something. And trust me, true bosses normally refuse such kiss-ass gestures.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 1:36pm On Apr 18, 2015
ziddy:

I doubt if you've ever worked in a structured organization before. Even if she were a man her request would still be illegal.
When you exit your ride at the office can hand your briefcase to your p.a, your driver or your orderly or something. Never to a professional colleague unless he willingly grabs it because he sucks your arsze or something. And trust me, true bosses normally refuse such kiss-ass gestures.

Don't try to go personal with me. Firstly the request was simple yet the employee took it so personal he ignored her. That shows his ignorance and how he views women.

Once again he WOULD have done it if the manager was a man.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 22, 2015
Mandu94:

Don't try to go personal with me. Firstly the request was simple yet the employee took it so personal he ignored her. That shows his ignorance and how he views women.

Once again he WOULD have done it if the manager was a man.
Ha!!! I knew you were going to say that, my young feminist by heart!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 3:09pm On Apr 22, 2015
all4naija:
Ha!!! I knew you were going to say that, my young feminist by heart!

And who cares?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2015
Mandu94:

And who cares?
I do! How are you? It's been quite some days. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 22, 2015
@Mandu94

Feminists by heart are often suspecting men of discrimination. Whereas, that is what many of them do. It is like a guilt many of them carry about.

He didn't want to carry the bag for other reason nor because she is a woman, I guess. Perhaps because he didn't want to look like somebody having some kind of affairs with her.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
all4naija:
@Mandu94

Feminists by heart are often suspecting men of discrimination. Whereas, that is what many of them do. It is like a guilt many of them carry about.

He didn't want to carry the bag for other reason nor because she is a woman, I guess. Perhaps because he didn't want to look like somebody having some kind of affairs with her.

This is a deep rooted issue because of the nature of society. Such thinking is not necessarily conscious but feminists highlight such attitudes because we are challenging the way patriarchal society entrenches sexist norms.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 22, 2015
Mandu94:

This is a deep rooted issue because of the nature of society. Such thinking is not necessarily conscious but feminists highlight such attitudes because we are challenging the way patriarchy society entrenches sexist norms.
Okay. Let's agree the society should be blamed on culture and other primitive norms which look down on female gender. Why must she fire the guy? That is way too much of a feminist by heart. It is like the fight is now based on anger that is out of control. That is something feminists need to address in the fight for equality.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Mandu94: 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
all4naija:

Okay. Let's agree the society should be blamed on culture and other primitive norms which look down on female gender. Why must she fire the guy? That is way too much of a feminist by heart. It is like the fight is now based on anger that is out of control. That is something feminists need to address in the fight for equality.

Yes I am angry about how fuckd the world is. But not angry in the way you think. Stating how I feel doesn't mean Im being aggressive. Am I supposed to be soft?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
Mandu94:

Yes I am angry about how bleeped the world is. But not angry in the way you think. Stating how I feel doesn't mean Im being aggressive. Am I supposed to be soft?
No, you are supposed to be intelligent from a civilized perspective. Many of you use too much emotions to address issues. Feminists by heart aren't reasonable enough to understand they are going too far with some of their views when they are not necessarily required of them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.