Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

[picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined (1684 Views)

Was The 4th Commandment Abolished After Christ's Death?(a secret about sabbath). / Picture: The Richman's Property After Death. / Don't Be Defined by Personal Flaws and Imperfections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 1:59pm On Apr 03, 2015
[Before you start reading, please note that I am a christian...who is boundless]

God reportedly gave moses the 10 commandments among which was the 5th "Thou shalt not kill"
Without any extra conditions attached to it. It simply means, thou shall not kill anything under any conditions whatsoever.
Unfortunately this is not possible. Its irrational, considering the fact that you have to kill animals to eat meat, kill plants to make food and kill ideas to birth superior ones.
But we could be all good if we attempt to adjust that commandment a little bit. So lets get it to now read "Thou shall not kill fellow humans".
Good, right? No.
God reportedly ordered Saul to go kill all the Amalekites - men, women, children, everything. Even Saul, a fearsome warrior was restrained after seeing so much blood in the battle. He spared the king, fat cows, women and stuff.
But God reportedly punished him. Over and over again in the bible, God ordered people to kill people.
Secondly, if someone was coming against you with a knife, and you had a gun, will you shoot or will you surrender unto death?
Moses instructed that you should not even forgive after the person has hurt you with their knife in his "an eye for an eye" commandment.
But Jesus gave an answer to this after observing the fault i am pointing out now in that commandment.
Jesus modified it by saying "If someone slaps you, turn the other cheek. If you are compelled to go one mile, go two". Which simply means, surrender unto death, even if you can fight back. Another way to interpret it is that a nation does not need an army, even if it has one, the army should not kill by any means necessary, and should surrender on the first attack for peace to reign. And no need to go drag out cases in the court - just turn the other cheek.
But hey, not to counter Jesus, but there is a problem with this, if neighbors or neighboring countries know you will not fight back, or that you have no capacity to fight back sufficiently, they will simply come take over your lands and resources then enslave you and compel you to go 2,000,00,000,000 miles smile emoticon

So the modifications to that commandment does not still make sense. But we can still try to put it into better context "thou shalt not kill a fellow human who serves the same God with you". Wrong, we will still run into the same problem as above.
"thou shalt not kill a fellow human being who is innocent" ?
Seems we have finally got it. Thanks a whole lot. See you...

But wait.. What if a wounded soldier in the middle of a battle begs you to kill him because he can no longer bear the pain? Our modification does not cover that.
A similar situation is,
What if the life of a fetus threatens the life of the mother?
The birth of the child will put the mother out of work and unto the streets begging since she is still a small orphan who has no means of taking care of the child, will you support the abortion (killing) of the baby?

So all our modifications didn't work at all. We have to try one more time, and i will leave you to judge.
"Thou shall not kill {i don't know how else to modify it}"

I'll just end by giving you my one personal 6th commandment, "Protect yourself and interests at all times. You have one life only."

There is something we didn't observe all the while, 2 times 'God' gave Moses the 10 commandments, 2 times Moses was the only one there and there where no witnesses.

Thank you
Master Dave Ozoalor - www.facebook.com/daveozoalor

1 Like

Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by busky101(m): 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
You need the holy spirit
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by frank317: 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thou shall not kill... Yet he felt the best way to save mankind was to kill his only begotten son. What happened to finding a place in his heart to just forgive man. What kind of example has he set for us to follow. He gets angry and kill man ruthlessly, he watches humans dies everyday against their will yet the world flows like it has no carring creator.

He sounds clueless... What did he expect from such a silly instruction.

Jesus even came and made it worst. What the heck is turn the other cheek. Does this God just enjoy people get oppressed?
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by agohmamuda(m): 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2015
[quote
author=frank317 post=32308429]Thou shall not kill... Yet he felt the
best way to save mankind was to kill his only begotten son. What
happened to finding a place in his heart to just forgive man. What kind
of example has he set for us to follow. He gets angry and kill man
ruthlessly, he watches humans dies everyday against their will yet the
world flows like it has no carring creator.

He sounds clueless... What did he expect from such a silly instruction.

Jesus even came and made it worst. What the heck is turn the other
cheek. Does this God just enjoy people get oppressed?[/quote]

You dont fear GOD.
*Dont blasphame
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by godsamist: 3:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
Very busy finding fault with creator of the wide world,satan is really druming for you and we can read your dancing steps,better watch and pray,just not to over dance.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 5:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
godsamist:
Very busy finding fault with creator of the wide world,satan is really druming for you and we can read your dancing steps,better watch and pray,just not to over dance.
no one is finding fault with the creator, we are examining moses' law.
Something 'God' gave him when no one was around, twice!

1 Like

Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
godsamist:

no one is finding fault with the creator, we are
examining moses' law.
Something 'God' gave him when no one was
around, twice!
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Ifeann(f): 8:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
moderatorr1:
[Before you start reading, please note that I am a christian...who is boundless]

God reportedly gave moses the 10 commandments among which was the 5th "Thou shalt not kill"
Without any extra conditions attached to it. It simply means, thou shall not kill anything under any conditions whatsoever.
Unfortunately this is not possible. Its irrational, considering the fact that you have to kill animals to eat meat, kill plants to make food and kill ideas to birth superior ones.
But we could be all good if we attempt to adjust that commandment a little bit. So lets get it to now read "Thou shall not kill fellow humans".
Good, right? No.
God reportedly ordered Saul to go kill all the Amalekites - men, women, children, everything. Even Saul, a fearsome warrior was restrained after seeing so much blood in the battle. He spared the king, fat cows, women and stuff.
But God reportedly punished him. Over and over again in the bible, God ordered people to kill people.
Secondly, if someone was coming against you with a knife, and you had a gun, will you shoot or will you surrender unto death?
Moses instructed that you should not even forgive after the person has hurt you with their knife in his "an eye for an eye" commandment.
But Jesus gave an answer to this after observing the fault i am pointing out now in that commandment.
Jesus modified it by saying "If someone slaps you, turn the other cheek. If you are compelled to go one mile, go two". Which simply means, surrender unto death, even if you can fight back. Another way to interpret it is that a nation does not need an army, even if it has one, the army should not kill by any means necessary, and should surrender on the first attack for peace to reign. And no need to go drag out cases in the court - just turn the other cheek.
But hey, not to counter Jesus, but there is a problem with this, if neighbors or neighboring countries know you will not fight back, or that you have no capacity to fight back sufficiently, they will simply come take over your lands and resources then enslave you and compel you to go 2,000,00,000,000 miles smile emoticon

So the modifications to that commandment does not still make sense. But we can still try to put it into better context "thou shalt not kill a fellow human who serves the same God with you". Wrong, we will still run into the same problem as above.
"thou shalt not kill a fellow human being who is innocent" ?
Seems we have finally got it. Thanks a whole lot. See you...

But wait.. What if a wounded soldier in the middle of a battle begs you to kill him because he can no longer bear the pain? Our modification does not cover that.
A similar situation is,
What if the life of a fetus threatens the life of the mother?
The birth of the child will put the mother out of work and unto the streets begging since she is still a small orphan who has no means of taking care of the child, will you support the abortion (killing) of the baby?

So all our modifications didn't work at all. We have to try one more time, and i will leave you to judge.
"Thou shall not kill {i don't know how else to modify it}"

I'll just end by giving you my one personal 6th commandment, "Protect yourself and interests at all times. You have one life only."

There is something we didn't observe all the while, 2 times 'God' gave Moses the 10 commandments, 2 times Moses was the only one there and there where no witnesses.

Thank you
Master Dave Ozoalor - www.facebook.com/daveozoalor

U are a a bit confused. .. its thou shall not murder..aka commit homicide. . I am a Christian and if u slap me i wont revenge, i will even turn the other cheek but if u come at me with a weapon i will not hesitate to end u were u stand..

Are u clear on the issue now..
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
moderatorr1:

no one is finding fault with the creator, we are
examining moses' law.
Something 'God' gave him when no one was
around, twice!
I believe some elders followed him up the Mount and Joshua followed him very close to where the deed was done. even drawings of moses smashing the commandments shows Joshua by his side. can't remember the verse oh... will be tedious but I will search for it.
my 2 cents for now.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 10:10pm On Apr 03, 2015
shyna01:

I believe some elders followed him up the Mount and Joshua followed him very close to where the deed was done. even drawings of moses smashing the commandments shows Joshua by his side. can't remember the verse oh... will be tedious but I will search for it.
my 2 cents for now.
Moses did not smash d
the commandment up the mountain
it was when he came down to meet the people.

He was the only one that was up the mountain for 40 days.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ifeann:

U are a a bit confused. .. its thou shall not murder..aka commit homicide. . I am a Christian and if u slap me i wont revenge, i will even turn the other cheek but if u come at me with a weapon i will not hesitate to end u were u stand..

Are u clear on the issue now..

It has always been
"Thou shall not kill"
its the Lutheran church that translated it to "thou shall not murder"

If someone comes against you with a knife and you fight back, you are not following in the footsteps of Christ. He never fought back or even resisted.
Even when peter tried to fight for him, he cautioned peter sternly.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Ifeann(f): 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2015
moderatorr1:

It has always been
"Thou shall not kill"
its the Lutheran church that translated it to "thou shall not murder"

If someone comes against you with a knife and you fight back, you are not following in the footsteps of Christ. He never fought back or even resisted.
Even when peter tried to fight for him, he cautioned peter sternly.

Lol.. u knw quite little... i am not talking about english .. i am talking about the hebrew word. .

"You shall not murder" (Hebrew לֹא תִּרְצָח lo tirṣaḥ) (sometimes translated as You shall not kill (KJV) or Thou shalt not kill (LXX; οὐ φονεύσεις), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah, specifically Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy
5:17. Are u getting the picture.

The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense.

This brings us to the wword Retzach

The Hebrew verb רצח (r-ṣ-ḥ, also transliterated retzach, ratzákh, ratsakh etc.) is the word in the original text that is translated as "murder" or "kill", but it has a wider range of meanings, generally describing destructive activity, including meanings "to break, to dash to pieces" as well as "to slay, kill, murder". Are u getting the idea..

According to the Book of Numbers, killing anyone outside the context of war with a weapon, or in unarmed combat, is considered retzach, but if the killing is accidental, the accused must not leave the city, or he will be considered guilty of intentional murder.
The Bible never uses the word retzach in conjunction with war. Killing in war is it homicide..??

The act of slaying itself, regardless of questions of bloodguilt, is expressed with the verb n-k-h "to strike, smite, hit, beat, slay, kill".

This verb is used of both an Egyptian slaying an Israelite slave and of Moses slaying the Egyptian in retaliation in
Exodus 2:11-12. The Covenant Code and Holiness Code both prescribe the death penalty for people that commit n-k-h.

Another verb meaning "to kill, slay, murder, destroy, ruin" is h-r-g, used of Cain slaying Abel in Genesis 4:8. When Cain is driven into exile, complaining that "every one that findeth me shall slay me" in Genesis 4:14 , he again uses this verb (h-r-g).

The distinction becomes apparent... and has nothing to do with the "novelty" of the Lutheran interpretation as u posit.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Nobody: 12:05am On Apr 04, 2015
moderatorr1:

Moses did not smash d
the commandment up the mountain
it was when he came down to meet the people.

He was the only one that was up the mountain for 40 days.
the discussion here is not where he smashed 'em.
read exodus 24 Moses went up the mount with some people and if anyone from the camp came up with a matter that needed his attention then Joshua and hur were to go further up to him (moses). if I'm right this is in exodus 24.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 4:16am On Apr 04, 2015
shyna01:

the discussion here is not where he smashed 'em.
read exodus 24 Moses went up the mount with some people and if anyone from the camp came up with a matter that needed his attention then Joshua and hur were to go further up to him (moses). if I'm right this is in exodus 24.
which still means he was alone.
It was written on a clay slate. which means anyone could have written it.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 6:30am On Apr 04, 2015
Ifeann:

Lol.. u knw quite little... i am not talking about english .. i am talking about the hebrew word. .

"You shall not murder" (Hebrew לֹא תִּרְצָח lo tirṣaḥ) (sometimes translated as You shall not kill (KJV) or Thou shalt not kill (LXX; οὐ φονεύσεις), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah, specifically Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy
5:17. Are u getting the picture.

The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense.

This brings us to the wword Retzach

The Hebrew verb רצח (r-ṣ-ḥ, also transliterated retzach, ratzákh, ratsakh etc.) is the word in the original text that is translated as "murder" or "kill", but it has a wider range of meanings, generally describing destructive activity, including meanings "to break, to dash to pieces" as well as "to slay, kill, murder". Are u getting the idea..

According to the Book of Numbers, killing anyone outside the context of war with a weapon, or in unarmed combat, is considered retzach, but if the killing is accidental, the accused must not leave the city, or he will be considered guilty of intentional murder.
The Bible never uses the word retzach in conjunction with war. Killing in war is it homicide..??

The act of slaying itself, regardless of questions of bloodguilt, is expressed with the verb n-k-h "to strike, smite, hit, beat, slay, kill".

This verb is used of both an Egyptian slaying an Israelite slave and of Moses slaying the Egyptian in retaliation in
Exodus 2:11-12. The Covenant Code and Holiness Code both prescribe the death penalty for people that commit n-k-h.

Another verb meaning "to kill, slay, murder, destroy, ruin" is h-r-g, used of Cain slaying Abel in Genesis 4:8. When Cain is driven into exile, complaining that "every one that findeth me shall slay me" in Genesis 4:14 , he again uses this verb (h-r-g).

The distinction becomes apparent... and has nothing to do with the "novelty" of the Lutheran interpretation as u posit.

All these volume of text, Just to change the meaning of a single word?
A man brought saul's head and sword, told David that Saul asked him to kill him so the philistians wont get the chance to do it themesleves. After the man obeyed king saul's instructions, he ran for 3 days and 3 nights to David's camp.
David ordered that the man be killed (murdered or whatever you call it.) smiley

How do you justify that?
Is that killing, Murder or Retzach?

Gideon Promised God that if he wins the battle, he will kill the first person that comes to meet him when he arrives home.
After winning the battle, his daughter was the first person to run up to daddy to welcome him.
Gideon slaughtered her.
Is that killing, Murder or Retzach?

God asked Abraham to kill his only son to test his faith
Would that have been killing, Murder or Retzach?

1 Like

Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 04, 2015
moderatorr1:

y aren't you trying to find fault with the part the presence of the lord came down or the Egyptian first born dying? what will moses gain from forging commandments?
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by macof(m): 10:11pm On Apr 04, 2015
shyna01:

y aren't you trying to find fault with the part the presence of the lord came down or the Egyptian first born dying? what will moses gain from forging commandments?

He would gain respect, power, wealth, control over the people
Like pastors have over their congregation with their lies

1 Like

Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by macof(m): 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2015
moderatorr1:

Moses used those people grin
Deceived them tight

The Guy went up and constructed the commandments himself for 40days
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by plaetton: 11:53pm On Apr 04, 2015
shyna01:

my 2 cents for now.
Oh mi gosh!
Did you just Say "drawings".?
shocked
Drawings by whom?
Are you referring to the iPhone pictures taken at mount Sinai, with Moses holding the tablets?

I cant stop laughing.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 10:25am On Apr 05, 2015
plaetton:

Oh mi gosh!
shocked
Drawings by whom?
Are you referring to the iPhone pictures taken at mount Sinai, with Moses holding the tablets?

I cant stop laughing.
...lol
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2015
plaetton:

Oh mi gosh!
shocked
Drawings by whom?

I cant stop laughing.
you are so ignorant that said "drawings" are made by historians who studied every fact and myth available
keep laughing at your folly.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
macof:

He would gain respect, power, wealth, control over the people
Like pastors have over their congregation with their lies
what respect, power, wealth, control did he have to lead them out of Egypt? you guys can be funny.
if cannot change something you either accept it or let it be....
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by plaetton: 10:39pm On Apr 05, 2015
shyna01:

you are so ignorant that said "drawings" are made by historians who studied every fact and myth available
keep laughing at your folly.
Lol.
Kindly put here on display, any, just one so-called drawing made by any Historian who studied whatever fact and myth you are referring to.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by macof(m): 11:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
shyna01:

what respect, power, wealth, control did he have to lead them out of Egypt? you guys can be funny.
if cannot change something you either accept it or let it be....

This Moses probably never even existed cause there's no record from Egypt about such a man

But if he did, he only sought power - smart men like him would have known the best way to control a power is to blackmail them with God..make your own rules and tell them it's from a God living on top a mountain
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 9:21am On Apr 06, 2015
macof:

This Moses probably never even existed cause there's no record from Egypt about such a man

But if he did, he only sought power - smart men like him would have known the best way to control a power is to blackmail them with God..make your own rules and tell them it's from a God living on top a mountain
its all funny
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 6:36am On Apr 08, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
Kindly put here on display, any, just one so-called drawing made by any Historian who studied whatever fact and myth you are referring to.
hmmm
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by Fari9482: 3:36am On Apr 09, 2015
There were commandments like that in Egypt. The 42 confessions. Not sure that they were new at all.
Re: [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined by moderatorr1: 8:35am On Apr 09, 2015
Fari9482:
There were commandments like that in Egypt. The 42 confessions. Not sure that they were new at all.
wow...googling it

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Muhammad's Letter About How Muslims Should Treat Christians / Angola Out-rightly BANS Islam, All Mosques To Be DESTROY / Maybe Your Destiny Has Been Exchanged.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.