Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. (742 Views)

My Kia Picanto Is Acting Up. Please Help! / Fix Your Audi Cvt Gearbox Now Available. / 2008 Honda Accord: Sparkling.. wait till you see it (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 8:50pm On Jan 24, 2009
When exactly do i need to change my auto trans fluid (A.T.F.)?
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 10:50am On Jan 25, 2009
Maybe i need to explain a little more.Every Car has a maintainance schedule especially when it comes to replacement parts or servicing.while everyone agrees that engine oil needs to be changed at intervals of between 3000 and 5000 miles,virtually all mechanics say i should touch the ATF cos might cause yawa.Any thoughts?i drive an 05 accord
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 10:53am On Jan 25, 2009
meant to say shouldn't touch
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 25, 2009
Auto tranny's also have a service schedule - typical Nigerian "mechanic" blowing wind.

When checking the level - if it has a dipstick, make sure you use a lint-free rag to wipe it, NEVER use tissue, as over time, micro fibres build up in the fluid, clogging the valves. This is one of the major causes of auto tranny failure, the other major cause being wrong fluids being used for top-ups.

And of course, "mechanics" poor advice, because they're either too lazy to do a fluid flush, or simply haven't a clue.
Your Honda Service Booklet will tell you when the auto tranny fluid should be replaced, and filters, if applicable.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 11:31am On Jan 25, 2009
Had a feeling it was going to be one of the Big 4 that would reply and would make sense.Thanks.According to my manual,its coming up to the time when i should flush and change the ATF but all i keep getting is wait till something bad happens.Dumb as it sounds,even the Honda place mechanics in Abuja said the same thing.And i wonder,if i wait till it acts up,how would the change help at that point.The Gear Box costs 180k in Abuja.Dats not funny
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by Areaboy2(m): 11:43am On Jan 25, 2009
but the good thing here is that the 05 accord is not known to be notorious with gearbox problems,

so waiting till it acts up might just be them saying "dont worry about it, nothing will happen",

but then again its always better to look thru ur manual and get a clear picture on how and when to get rid of the transmission fluid,

but i can bet you, b4 ur gearbox starts acting up (thats if u have a good driving habbit), you would have prolly made plans to change that car already,
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 11:49am On Jan 25, 2009
any suggestions as to the ATF i should use if decide to go ahead and change.Honda was kindda specific as to using their ATF but we know its impossible to find in Naija
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by Areaboy2(m): 12:01pm On Jan 25, 2009
would it really be impossible to find here in nigeria? since we have a good number of "Honda Place",

they must have the correct ATF there,
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 25, 2009
Most Japanese cars run Dexron II in their auto trannies, but please CHECK before you use any fluid in there.

It doesn't have to be a Honda brand, it could be any brand - Toyota, Nissan, Kia, BP, Shell etc - as long as it meets the specification of the original type.
The specifications are always printed clearly on the container / label.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by DennyKrane: 10:39pm On Jan 25, 2009
Called the honda place mechanic and he suggested using ATF from mobil oil.Would look at the specs.thanks
Re: Most Mechanics Seem To Think I Need To Wait Till The Gearbox Starts Acting Up. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:15pm On Jan 25, 2009
dextron II from mobile is good. check in any mobil filling station. cool

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Clean Good Honda Or Toyota Car For 300-400 / I Need Honda Accord Or Civic Urgently / Nissan Xterra_ 2004model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.