Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Do You Practice This Culture And What Does It Really Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Practice This Culture And What Does It Really Mean? (585 Views)

Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / East African Coast | Culture And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Practice This Culture And What Does It Really Mean? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
This was however triggered today during Chelsea vs Stoke City match when Mourhino picked up a bottle of Water, opened the cork and poured some of the water on the ground first before drinking it. That act actually reminded me of what we equally do over here especially in rural areas. Before an elder takes any form of liquid products, be it palm wine, beer even water, he must first of all pour some on the ground and then drink the remaining. I dont really know what this practice means and i'm sure not only in my place i've seen this as Mourhino yet again confirmed it today. The young generation may not really know about this and believe if the elderly ones can enlightened the young onse, it'll help.

Contribute abeg.
Re: Do You Practice This Culture And What Does It Really Mean? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 04, 2015
I don't believe in it but I thibnk it means u first give the gods or potential pple dat can hurt u (aye) their share before u drink. Its a form of appeasing to them, so u don't get harnmed by drinking whatver it is ur drinking.although some pple may just do it out of habit, or they may have a silly belief attached to it.
Re: Do You Practice This Culture And What Does It Really Mean? by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 05, 2015
qbd2:
I don't believe in it but I thibnk it means u first give the gods or potential pple dat can hurt u (aye) their share before u drink. Its a form of appeasing to them, so u don't get harnmed by drinking whatver it is ur drinking.although some pple may just do it out of habit, or they may have a silly belief attached to it.

Nice one but i think it has more to do with appeasing the gods than anything else. For example, when a traditional ruler wants to carry out a kind of traditional rite, you'd see him pouring drink bit by bit on the ground while calling on all the names of the known gods in the land and each calling accompanies a drop of drink poured on the ground perhaps to invoke them. I think this is where people copy the practice with whether they really know what it means or not.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Language / . / Anti-homosexuality =/= Homophobia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.