Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

17 Awesome Words You May Not Know - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (56411 Views)

9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by countsparrow: 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2015
Rokiatu-nation

When u find two or more people with bubble but.t in a settlement
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
foxxynik:

What's d girl on ur d.p doing?.... Just curious!

Shez cutting firewood
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by kinibigdeal(m): 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
tosag:
The only one I knew is "schadenfreude". The rest are like latin to me.

1 Like

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 05, 2015
ahsekeena:

Shez cutting firewood
Pardon me naïve thinking.... I should've known!....
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by santuse: 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2015
quicyvictor:
Petrichor - You know that smell after the first rains (especially after a long day summer)? That smell is called petrichor. Petri means relating to rocks and chor means the blood of the Gods

Schadenfreude - It’s the pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. No matter how pure-hearted you are you know you have had the feeling of schadenfreude.

Dysania – Dysania is state of having a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning. So the feeling you have every single morning.

Numinous - An adjective which means filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence. Anything you think is possessed or even blessed by God is numinous.

Palindrome – A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. Like Lion oil or the word poop. Though it isn’t an official word Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes which is itself a palindrome.

Semordnilap – Semordnilaps (also called Heteropalindromes or Anadromes) are words which, when reversed, are still valid words but not the same as the original word. Examples you ask?
Diaper-Repaid
Live – Evil
Desserts – stressed
Palindromes – Semordnilap (That really ingenious if you ask me.

Mamihlapinatapai – This word has actually won a world record for “most succinct word”. It is also one of the hardest words to translate. It allegedly refers to “a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to suggest or offer themselves.” I guess an example will be two kids who have a crush on each other and want to be in a relationship but doesn’t know the other person likes him/her

Aglet – I learned this word from a fantastic show called Phineas and Ferb(excellent cartoon) They had a song about it. Aglet refers to that plastic thing at the end of your shoe lace. Phineas and Ferb song

Acatalepsy – It means “incomprehensibility of things”. The Pyrrhonians(group of skeptic philosophers) who attempted to show that humans can never know anything for a fact. But really, can you know something as a fact without actually assuming anything?

Zugzwang – It’s a situation where you have to do something but it would be better for you if you didn’t do anything. It is generally associated with chess where you would rather pass than play a move.(You can’t pass in chess.)

Barm – It’s the foam or froth you see on beer or wine. Next time someone says “Don’t give me any froth,” while he pours you a cold one tell him what it’s really called

Floccinaucinihilipilification – The action or habit of estimating something as worthless. This word is the longest unchallenged nontechnical word. The chemical word for titin is longest word (debated) , it is 189,819 letters long.

Contronym – A contronym is a when a word has two meanings and they are opposites of each other. Ofcourse, you want examples.

Left- remaining, departed.
How may cookies do you have left?
None,he left with the cookies.

Rent – buy use of, sell use of
He was looking to rent he room out for some extra cash.
She got wanted to rent a room for a few days.

Variety – one type, many types
Alphonso is a variety of mangoes.
The store has a variety of mangoes

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – The fear of long words. Yeah, I know. English is a cruel language.

Phobophobia – The fear of developing a fear. Probably the most ironic word in English language.

Hierophilia – Hierophilia refers to sexual urges, preferences or fantasies involving sacred or religious objects. I swear some people act like they have this.

Emetophilia – Emetophilia is deriving sexual pleasure from vomit. There are different instances, several of which are:
1) Hearing someone vomit
2) Seeing someone vomit
3) Being vomited on
4) Vomiting on someone else
5) Vomiting alone
Emetophilia is not only about being vomited on. It can also just be sights and sounds

http://askusque.com/2015/02/17-awesome-words-may-know/

Nice one op
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 05, 2015
foxxynik:

Pardon me naïve thinking.... I should've known!....

Cos u don't have ur glasses on
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Smytter(m): 5:23pm On Apr 05, 2015
tohpahz:
I know all shocked
ehn ehn!
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Octaves(m): 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2015
Even abroad, who uses them?
sauceny:
Op nobody in Nigeria uses any of these words,not even Wole Soyinka ...
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by fidzy(m): 5:27pm On Apr 05, 2015
sauceny:

U sure? Patrick nko? He is a Nigerian u know
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by akigbemaru: 5:29pm On Apr 05, 2015
Nice best 17 weird words in English
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by An2elect2(f): 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2015
Cholls:
mybrotherwhoneverchopnogettimeforyourgibrish.

Longest word ever check the grave.

i think i prefer this one.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2015
ahsekeena:

Cos u don't have ur glasses on
Perhaps, I needed to put my glasses on....perhaps, I needed to look critically!..... Are u...the firewood girl?
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by TrishaP(f): 5:45pm On Apr 05, 2015
Phineas and Ferb is where I first heard that word aglet. You are completely right. Love that animation like cray.

1 Like

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by otigbagba: 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
quicyvictor:
Petrichor - You know that smell after the first rains (especially after a long day summer)? That smell is called petrichor. Petri means relating to rocks and chor means the blood of the Gods

Schadenfreude - It’s the pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. No matter how pure-hearted you are you know you have had the feeling of schadenfreude.

Dysania – Dysania is state of having a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning. So the feeling you have every single morning.

Numinous - An adjective which means filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence. Anything you think is possessed or even blessed by God is numinous.

Palindrome – A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. Like Lion oil or the word poop. Though it isn’t an official word Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes which is itself a palindrome.

Semordnilap – Semordnilaps (also called Heteropalindromes or Anadromes) are words which, when reversed, are still valid words but not the same as the original word. Examples you ask?
Diaper-Repaid
Live – Evil
Desserts – stressed

Mamihlapinatapai – This word has actually won a world record for “most succinct word”. It is also one of the hardest words to translate. It allegedly refers to “a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to suggest or offer themselves.” I guess an example will be two kids who have a crush on each other and want to be in a relationship but doesn’t know the other person likes him/her

Aglet – I learned this word from a fantastic show called Phineas and Ferb(excellent cartoon) They had a song about it. Aglet refers to that plastic thing at the end of your shoe lace. Phineas and Ferb song

Acatalepsy – It means “incomprehensibility of things”. The Pyrrhonians(group of skeptic philosophers) who attempted to show that humans can never know anything for a fact. But really, can you know something as a fact without actually assuming anything?

Zugzwang – It’s a situation where you have to do something but it would be better for you if you didn’t do anything. It is generally associated with chess where you would rather pass than play a move.(You can’t pass in chess.)

Barm – It’s the foam or froth you see on beer or wine. Next time someone says “Don’t give me any froth,” while he pours you a cold one tell him what it’s really called

Floccinaucinihilipilification – The action or habit of estimating something as worthless. This word is the longest unchallenged nontechnical word. The chemical word for titin is longest word (debated) , it is 189,819 letters long.

Contronym – A contronym is a when a word has two meanings and they are opposites of each other. Ofcourse, you want examples.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – The fear of long words. Yeah, I know. English is a cruel language.

Phobophobia – The fear of developing a fear. Probably the most ironic word in English language.

Hierophilia – Hierophilia refers to sexual urges, preferences or fantasies involving sacred or religious objects. I swear some people act like they have this.

Emetophilia – Emetophilia is deriving sexual pleasure from vomit. There are different instances, several of which are:
1) Hearing someone vomit
2) Seeing someone vomit
3) Being vomited on
5) Vomiting alone
Emetophilia is not only about being vomited on. It can also just be sights and sounds

http://askusque.com/2015/02/17-awesome-words-may-know/
...what of orubebeism
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by SEYIOKE: 5:50pm On Apr 05, 2015
[quote author=quicyvictor post=32375013]Petrichor - You know that smell after the first rains (especially after a long day summer)? That smell is called petrichor. Petri means relating to rocks and chor means the blood of the Gods

Diaper-Repaid
Live – Evil
Desserts – stressed

1) Hearing someone vomit
2) Seeing someone vomit
3) Being vomited on
5) Vomiting alone

Some of d words soUnds like 'speaking in tongues'
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Dargreen(m): 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
sauceny:
and prof patrick obahiagbon
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by teadrake(m): 6:15pm On Apr 05, 2015
let me add the new discovered word now in the English dictionary: "orubebe"
(noun): The process of trying to disrupt a smooth running process, especially through a fraudulent and dishonest means";
( verb ): "to make an attempt to disrupt a gathering/smooth running process..." :
E.g.
Noun: The birthday party resulted in an orubebe before the police intervened.
Verb: Every time Chelsea is winning Manchester United, they always want to orubebe the match.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by nerdfrost(m): 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2015
Well I knew wat phobophobia was before now!! I know most phobias and philias!! But OP u try sha
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by nerdfrost(m): 6:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
Octaves:
Even abroad, who uses them?
. Well I use those phobia words most of the time!!
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Dennybouy: 7:02pm On Apr 05, 2015
tola9ja:

patrick obahiagbon

Fallaciloquence...Patrick Obahiagbon.. grin.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by phaya(f): 7:23pm On Apr 05, 2015
Really cool
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by folba(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2015
Emetophilia and Aglet are the only familiar words others are new additions to my vocabulary.....Good one@Op more grease to your finger joints+ more data to ur device
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Chamber10(m): 7:43pm On Apr 05, 2015
New words added to my vocab.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by monsterprick(m): 7:45pm On Apr 05, 2015
justi4jesu:

Not only in Nigeria cheesy
English wicked o!!! my tongue tip almost got bitten between my teeth... its not academically useful even if your lecturer is w Soyinka or p obaiagbon...
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by AKMoney1(m): 8:00pm On Apr 05, 2015
Say wetin happen? undecided

Count me out Abeg grin
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by lonelydora: 8:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
The only thing I understand here is Aglet.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by thundersx(m): 8:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
tohpahz:
I know all shocked
grin do u ave a Phd
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Alfred234(m): 8:42pm On Apr 05, 2015
Emetophilia is crazy mhen! but am not surprised sha when I googled sexuality I discovered some people are even sexually attracted to feces like W.T.F feces? I give up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Tinyemeka(m): 8:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
I'd always known about the words Numinous and Palindromes e.g. Madam, racecar.

I never knew there was a name for that smell of rain (petrichor) smiley

And I used to think that ability to smell rain was a physiologic variation, like tongue rolling. Abi isn't it?

Doctors in the house...
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Tinyemeka(m): 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
Alfred234:
Emetophilia is crazy mhen! but am not surprised sha when I googled sexuality I discovered some people are even sexually attracted to feces like W.T.F feces? I give up.

Coprophilia grin

It may even be a mental disorder sef. Just that the subjects haven't yet started going about naked.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Infoay: 9:09pm On Apr 05, 2015
Interesting...
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Ghoxt: 9:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
Pronounce this! undecided
quicyvictor:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

American University Of Nigeria's New Hostel In Pictures / A Nairalander Visits The World's Coolest Library In China, Shares Her Experience / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.