Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

17 Awesome Words You May Not Know - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (56410 Views)

9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter (2) (3) (4)

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Chazzyboy: 9:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
U know me?
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 05, 2015
I opened this thread and tried to pronounce the words but on a second thought, I declined. I'll just look at the words instead.

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Wisdomlinus(m): 10:36pm On Apr 05, 2015
Wow I love them .. I'll start using the simple ones right away
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by kkash: 10:41pm On Apr 05, 2015
1st tym i hrd d wrd palindrome ws in big bang theory
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by davimiles(m): 11:42pm On Apr 05, 2015
SmartFaces:
I knew "Aglet" before now. I used to call it lace bone until my Elder brother came back for his off shore rest and corrected me.

But op you try shaa... Where you go Scrape all those words from? If you grow, you go sabi something.
...Who asked about your brother.. girls can ridiculous

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by davimiles(m): 11:42pm On Apr 05, 2015
SmartFaces:
I knew "Aglet" before now. I used to call it lace bone until my Elder brother came back for his off shore rest and corrected me.

But op you try shaa... Where you go Scrape all those words from? If you grow, you go sabi something.
...Who asked about your brother.. girls can be ridiculous

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Tobiustobius: 12:01am On Apr 06, 2015
That Phineas and Ferb song burned AGLET into my brain...

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Benice007(m): 2:10am On Apr 06, 2015
Na wa for foreign language.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Vincad: 6:41am On Apr 06, 2015
I also learnt the word "aglet" from Phineas and Ferb and I love that song, it's really catchy. "A-G-L-E-T don't forget it,we're gonna tie the world together."

Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Bdemmy(m): 7:54am On Apr 06, 2015
how to become Patrick Obahiagbhon in 5mins
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by CertifiedFreak(m): 8:41am On Apr 06, 2015
Learnt something for the first time in a very long while.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by OKNkanu(m): 8:58am On Apr 06, 2015
Ghoxt:

Pronounce this! undecided
..... Na wa o!...... English is cruel.....
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by gogis(m): 9:17am On Apr 06, 2015
ahsekeena:
Awesome!

I'm gonna Bookmark this page...would love to learn some of these words
I just bookmarked the page. I am sanguine you ll find those words useful, just like me.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:20am On Apr 06, 2015
sauceny:
Op nobody in Nigeria uses any of these words,not even Wole Soyinka ...
honorable Patrick Obiahagon(whatever the name) I'm sure uses more than these words...
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by GodblessNig247(m): 10:14am On Apr 06, 2015
tohpahz:

Maybe grin

sorry mean no harm
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by 4lorunsho(m): 1:09pm On Apr 06, 2015
@ op the problem with this words is do you make use of it monthly or weekly .
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by andrea9000: 1:13pm On Apr 06, 2015
Cholls:
mybrotherwhoneverchopnogettimeforyourgibrish.

Longest word ever check the grave.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy i don tire to laugh
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by ceejayxy(m): 1:34pm On Apr 06, 2015
tohpahz:
I know all shocked
...chai!!u can lieee
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by ZINSOU(m): 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2015
i like Barm
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by DOD1: 2:15pm On Apr 06, 2015
quicyvictor:
Petrichor - You know that smell after the first rains (especially after a long day summer)? That smell is called petrichor. Petri means relating to rocks and chor means the blood of the Gods

Schadenfreude - It’s the pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. No matter how pure-hearted you are you know you have had the feeling of schadenfreude.

Dysania – Dysania is state of having a hard time waking up and getting out of bed in the morning. So the feeling you have every single morning.

Numinous - An adjective which means filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence. Anything you think is possessed or even blessed by God is numinous.

Palindrome – A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. Like Lion oil or the word poop. Though it isn’t an official word Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes which is itself a palindrome.

Semordnilap – Semordnilaps (also called Heteropalindromes or Anadromes) are words which, when reversed, are still valid words but not the same as the original word. Examples you ask?
Diaper-Repaid
Live – Evil
Desserts – stressed
Palindromes – Semordnilap (That really ingenious if you ask me.

Mamihlapinatapai – This word has actually won a world record for “most succinct word”. It is also one of the hardest words to translate. It allegedly refers to “a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other will offer something that they both desire but are unwilling to suggest or offer themselves.” I guess an example will be two kids who have a crush on each other and want to be in a relationship but doesn’t know the other person likes him/her

Aglet – I learned this word from a fantastic show called Phineas and Ferb(excellent cartoon) They had a song about it. Aglet refers to that plastic thing at the end of your shoe lace. Phineas and Ferb song

Acatalepsy – It means “incomprehensibility of things”. The Pyrrhonians(group of skeptic philosophers) who attempted to show that humans can never know anything for a fact. But really, can you know something as a fact without actually assuming anything?

Zugzwang – It’s a situation where you have to do something but it would be better for you if you didn’t do anything. It is generally associated with chess where you would rather pass than play a move.(You can’t pass in chess.)

Barm – It’s the foam or froth you see on beer or wine. Next time someone says “Don’t give me any froth,” while he pours you a cold one tell him what it’s really called

Floccinaucinihilipilification – The action or habit of estimating something as worthless. This word is the longest unchallenged nontechnical word. The chemical word for titin is longest word (debated) , it is 189,819 letters long.

Contronym – A contronym is a when a word has two meanings and they are opposites of each other. Ofcourse, you want examples.

Left- remaining, departed.
How may cookies do you have left?
None,he left with the cookies.

Rent – buy use of, sell use of
He was looking to rent he room out for some extra cash.
She got wanted to rent a room for a few days.

Variety – one type, many types
Alphonso is a variety of mangoes.
The store has a variety of mangoes

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – The fear of long words. Yeah, I know. English is a cruel language.

Phobophobia – The fear of developing a fear. Probably the most ironic word in English language.

Hierophilia – Hierophilia refers to sexual urges, preferences or fantasies involving sacred or religious objects. I swear some people act like they have this.

Emetophilia – Emetophilia is deriving sexual pleasure from vomit. There are different instances, several of which are:
1) Hearing someone vomit
2) Seeing someone vomit
3) Being vomited on
4) Vomiting on someone else
5) Vomiting alone
Emetophilia is not only about being vomited on. It can also just be sights and sounds

http://askusque.com/2015/02/17-awesome-words-may-know/
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by DeeRhymes(m): 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2015
GREAT check on the longest word in the world
Gonna hold on to this
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Bowaley17(m): 3:38pm On Apr 07, 2015
Nice one OP
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by SmartFaces(f): 11:23am On Apr 08, 2015
davimiles:
...Who asked about your brother.. girls can be ridiculous

Ahhhh! you be tatafoo! wetin concern you concern my brother? Laughing out very very loud. see trouble oh...

When you small eh, i sure sey you get plenty trouble for body.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by UssyFreeesh(m): 1:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
Nice
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by Babe2sure(f): 5:35am On Apr 25, 2015
Nice one OP
I knew four of those words.

Palindrome words are often asked in quizzes.
I knew aglet from phineas and ferb.
I knew Dysania and contronyms too.
Re: 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know by funkyjms: 5:42am On May 20, 2015

A Nairalander Visits The World's Coolest Library In China, Shares Her Experience / Chinedu John: 19-Year-Old Who Sued JAMB For N1 Billion Over Result Arrested / Aregbesola Commissions Ilesa Government High School, Osun State (Photos)