Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES (848 Views)

Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) / Jude Okonkwo Accepted Into All Ivy League School / Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 05, 2015
[size=14pt]Meet the student accepted into all eight Ivy League schools[/size]

By Taylor Vecsey and Natalie O'Neill April 5, 2015 | 1:43am

HAROLD EKEH WITH ALL 8 ACCEPTANCE LETTERS

A Nassau County whiz kid was accepted into all eight Ivy League schools — a year after another Long Island teen hit the rare academic jackpot.
Elmont Memorial HS senior Harold Ekeh boasts a grade-point average of 100.5 percent, an SAT score of 2270 and was a semifinalist for the national Intel Science Talent Search.

“My parents’ hard work and my hard work finally paid off,” Ekeh, 17, told The Post.

Ekeh now has his pick of the nation’s elite institutions of higher learning: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth and the University of Pennsylvania — none of which accept more than 14 percent of applicants.

He’s leaning toward Yale, where Kwasi Enin, 18, the son of Ghanaian immigrants from Mastic Beach, LI, who completed the Ivy sweep last year, now attends.

Ekeh moved to New York from Nigeria at age 8 and wowed admissions officers with an essay about the challenges he braved while “coming to America,” he said.

“My parents left comfortable lives in Nigeria for their kids to have opportunities. So I take advantage of every single opportunity that has been afforded to me,” said Ekeh, who hopes to become a neurosurgeon.

“It was very difficult to adjust . . . I spoke English but with a very heavy accent. It was like, ‘What is this kid saying?’ ” he continued.
In his free time he does what most other teens his age don’t do — toiling over biochemistry experiments. His grandma’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis — and his own inspiration to find a cure for the degenerative brain disease — fueled his passion for science, he said.

The hardworking student, a salutatorian who also plays the drums, mentors and volunteers for a social-justice campaign, credited his parents, Paul and Roselin — former clerks at a Target store in Queens — for challenging him to study and do his best, “no matter how hard times got,” he said.

“No matter how many times they would get knocked down, they were always positive, he said.
“Anybody who sees my story can say, ‘If he can do it, I can do it.’ I’m just a kid who had a real strong support system.”
Ekeh was accepted into the other five schools he applied to: MIT, NYU, Johns Hopkins University, Stony Brook University and Vanderbilt University.

“Never would I have expected to get into all 13 schools. I just wanted to increase my chances of getting into one of them,” he said.
He took his amazing accomplishments in stride. When he learned he’d been admitted to all of the country’s best schools last Tuesday, he celebrated by going to Bible study — and then to Chipotle.

“I don’t see it as an accomplishment for me. I see it as an accomplishment for my community. I hope it inspires the younger generation, not just in Elmont, but overall,” he said.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/05/meet-the-student-accepted-into-all-eight-ivy-league-schools/
Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 05, 2015
Front page, pls. Let's celebrate this kid!
Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Sessyjee(m): 12:00am On Apr 06, 2015
Wow! The boy is a whiz kid.. Nigerians are naturally gifted just dat the system over there in yankee gives room to groom the talents..
Fp pls.
cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by jplay(m): 1:17am On Apr 06, 2015
Impressive.

(1) (Reply)

Ambrose ALLI University (AAU) School Of Nursing Form For 2015/2016 Session Is On / Opinion: Top Tech Gurus In Nigeria / Exam Malpractice At Its Peak. Badd Guy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.