Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 (33603 Views)

Obinna Ebirim Robert Gordon University Member Of Governing Body: The Only Black / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Jude Okonkwo Accepted Into All Ivy League School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by henryanna36: 5:03pm On Aug 14, 2016
Congratulations are in order for 2016 Cornell University graduate, Iyore Olaye, who is the Ivy League school’s ONLY black female in the Chemical Engineer graduating class. Iyore took to her Facebook to pour out her heart in an essay detailing her experiences. Below is what she wrote;

“The last few months / year I haven’t felt inclined to post about the changes I was experiencing in my life. I made a promise to myself that I would embrace every moment, which meant disconnecting from social media and connecting more to life.
Three months ago I graduated from one of the best schools in the world, the greatest engineering program in the Ivy League, in one of the most rigorous majors at Cornell. There were moments of defeat and moments of victory through it all. I am thankful that I had continuous love and encouragement from friends and family who went out of their way to see me through to my success. Surrounded by my mother, father, sister, and various loved ones and friends, I graduated as the only black woman chemical engineer in the chemE class of 2016 and 1 of 6 black women in the entire engineering school. This situation reminiscent of 4 years ago when I graduated as the first black valedictorian of Winslow Township High School. It is God that allows me to continue to break barriers and smash through glass ceilings, not just to stand alone but to ensure that others may rise with me.
Now it is August and I officially reside in San Francisco working as a product engineer at Walker & Company Brands, a company that feeds my soul and challenges me to be better engineer and person each day. Needless to say that God has answered my prayers and continues to push me past my own expectations. I am unsure what he has planned for me, but if he did it before he will do it again. I guess that is the point of my post, by connecting to God and connecting to life I experience happiness and success. I wish that for all of you as well.”

Congratulations to you, young lady. And all the best, going forward. Continue to see more photos below…

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/08/nigerian-girl-iyore-olaye-is-cornell.html

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by henryanna36: 5:03pm On Aug 14, 2016

3 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by locosis007(m): 5:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
Good record

4 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by agabaI23(m): 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2016
Beauty and brains

Well done there.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by ikbnice(m): 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2016
This is the type of news soothing to the ear. #BlackIsBeautiful

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by tinkinjow: 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2016
Great achievement.
There's a difference in setting record and making history. Technically! Makes history i think ll b appropriate here.

7 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Khd95(m): 5:43pm On Aug 14, 2016
Head coordinator NCA south east zonal head quarters.....pls come and examine this specimen grin grin grin

19 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by tinnyailes(m): 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2016
Gud achievement buh serioulsly all those ladies carry big load o

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by CaptEColeJnr: 7:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
This is Beauty and Brain...
Not all these numbskulled Nigerian girls wey just fine but not brain .

11 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2016
Not much of a record undecided

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2016
LastMumu:
Not much of a record undecided

Exactly. Looks like she's not even a full Nigerian. Did you observe that she attended high school in the US? Probabaly born there sef. An American citizen! Not worth celebrating for Nigerians because she'd most likely never return to be of any use to this country!

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
sarzy:

Exactly. Looks like she's not even a full Nigerian. Did you observe that she attended high school in the US? Probabaly born there sef. An American citizen! Not worth celebrating for Nigerians because she'd most likely never return to be of any use to this country!

Not as if I'm hating or something but I was expecting to see a more inspiring record set by her.

She was the only black Female in her set in her department and that's enough to make the news? Like seriously? Na record be that? undecided

Congratulations to her though, graduating from an Ivy league school is no easy task.

Lastmumu

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 14, 2016
LastMumu:

Not as if I'm hating or something but I was expecting to see a more inspiring record set by her.

She was the only black Female in her set in her department and that's enough to make the news? Like seriously? undecided

Congratulations to her though, graduating from an Ivy league school is no easy task.

Sure. Of course she is very brilliant considering that she studied one of the world's toughest disciplines, plus she was the valedictorian in her high school. But my question is that would she be of any use to Nigeria now that we are celebrating as though she is a Nigerian?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Dandeson1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 14, 2016

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by temmypotter(m): 8:56pm On Aug 14, 2016
I just love a beautiful lady with intellect
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by martineinstein(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2016
fine benin girl wey know book

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by afo86: 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2016
Congrats.... My own daughter soon as well.....
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by MutantMetahuman: 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2016

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by henrydadon(m): 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
grin

NCAN 'reporting for duty live and direct

The name have been checked and confirmed

And I can tell u that people with that name are known for their greatness.

Signed and confirmed..over and out

NCAN CHICAGO BRANCH

8 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by NigerianSHA: 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
"American with Nigerian Heritage"

How will she find a good husband when she's making money than many of these retarded_ Black men out there.

I can't marry someone that makes more money than me because if you making $1m a year it's highly likely you will use Feminism to Cover up for your stupidity_ and arrogance.

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by dejavubobo1(m): 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2016
NCAN reporting live from ikorodu..

scanning the name for tribal identification

result not found.
are u sure she's Nigerian ?

8 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by ogawisdom(m): 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2016
N so
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Dekingmoses(m): 9:07pm On Aug 14, 2016
Khd95:
Head coordinator NCA south east zonal head quarters.....pls come and examine this specimen grin grin grin

over ..... roger d specimen is an afonja..... only the afonja can make such a great record..... do u copy that.....

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by jiinxed: 9:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
so?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by henrydadon(m): 9:10pm On Aug 14, 2016
Lemme see how this adorable beauty won't succeed in life

She now study engineering again

Hot cake of life..

Chevron will be eying her from a very nice angle

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by customstuffs: 9:11pm On Aug 14, 2016
nice one sis

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by pippimp(m): 9:11pm On Aug 14, 2016
sarzy:

Thank God. At least someone has sense. I don't know why Nigerians love associating with people who don't give two phucks about you. These guys would not be able to identify Nigeria on a map. They may have Nigerian parents or born in Nigeria but they don't consider themselves Nigerian. No one likes to be connected with a country that is rubbish.

10 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by domopps(m): 9:12pm On Aug 14, 2016
Beauty and the boops.....Oops Sorry Beauty and the brain!

Cheeeeers
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:13pm On Aug 14, 2016
Congrat to her buh leh me ask, issit tht there are no other black females in d sch ni abi dem weed dem comot undecided

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by just2okworld(f): 9:13pm On Aug 14, 2016
Beauty with brain
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by blessedvisky(m): 9:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
Yorubas right now

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Are A Genius, Answer This Question! / Kaduna Poly Admission Admission Placement Information / Man Sends An Orphan He Met During NYSC In Rivers To University (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.