Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,686 members, 7,827,536 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions (2980 Views)

11 Intelligence Killing Foods You Need To Avoid / Six Foods To Avoid Before You Meet Your Woman In Bed / The Best Food To Eat At Night To Avoid Bad Dreams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by imoh81(m): 11:29pm On Sep 05, 2006
Using a knife, cut a cone out of the bottom of the onion (where the roots come out). The diameter of this cone should be about a third of the diameter of the onion, and about 1/3 deep. Take this piece and throw it away (don't put it down the disposal!). This piece contains the part/gland that makes baby Jesus and everyone else in the room cry when you're chopping it up. Once you've gotten that piece out, chop off the top, peel, and slice the onion.

Been doing it for years, and it works like a charm. You know your cone is too small if it doesn't work, because you've cut into that teargas grenade.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Seun(m): 11:39pm On Sep 05, 2006
Thanks for sharing this tip. Happy tear-free onion cutting!
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by iice(f): 2:16pm On Sep 06, 2006
I do the don't inhale while cutting grin but thanks for this tip, il try it
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by EmemJU(f): 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2006
If this works, I owe u a plate of delicious 'edikang-ikong' with poundedyam.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by dominobaby(f): 7:47pm On Sep 08, 2006
Wow. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Bhola(f): 10:04pm On Sep 08, 2006
Placing the onion in water also helps. Putting the end of match sticks in your mouth, also helps. The chemical on the tip of matches captures the "teary fume" from the onion.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Oracle(m): 4:53am On Sep 09, 2006
I think the whole part of the Onions make you cry.
i mean what is in the bottom of the onion that is not in the whole bulb

Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Bisiriyu: 8:56am On Sep 12, 2006
I'll try it. I normally put my face away when i'm slicing such.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Oracle(m): 8:59am On Sep 12, 2006
Don't you think itz better to cover your face?
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by hayprof(m): 3:32pm On Sep 12, 2006
Been doing it for years, and it works like a charm
Tanx for sharin' after those years grin grin grin

Placing the onion in water also helps. Putting the end of match sticks in your mouth, also helps. The chemical on the tip of matches captures the "teary fume" from the onion.

Intresting to hear. cool wink

@all will try i out, undecided
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by yebarbie(f): 3:46pm On Dec 20, 2006
Thanks for the tip I will try it. I hope it works. I also read it somewhere that if you chew on gum it will prevent the watery eyes.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by onyx79(m): 4:36pm On Dec 20, 2006
how to avoid crying when chopping onions? simple- dont use any. grin
just kidding. am going to try out the gum chewing stunt. really hate chopping onions. what am i saying? i hate cooking! grin
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Seun(m): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2006
Has anyone tried it yet?
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by OgaMadam(f): 5:21am On Jan 03, 2007
I dont know about anyone but this sounds like a maths class.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by lizzy(f): 7:19pm On Jan 04, 2007
lemme give u an hiust use an ONION CHOPPER instead!
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by chiomiski(f): 10:46pm On Jan 05, 2007
but u no wat, u will still cry no matter the distance u took.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by mukina2: 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2007
this one no solution . .you will always cry . .
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by eslynera(f): 11:49pm On Jan 10, 2007
well it really bores me when i cry during cutting onions. undecided
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by CrazyMan(m): 11:10am On Jan 11, 2007
Hmm i'll try it anyway
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by olatseun(f): 12:02pm On Jan 23, 2007
that suggestion is not a bad one, infact very good but here is another, put a pinchof salt into your mouth and sustain it while u do the chopping,it works too.this is whati have been using and i willtry this too. wink
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by mekoyo(m): 3:35pm On Feb 11, 2007
Nice skills. I'll give it a try
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by OpeLovely(f): 3:47am On Feb 15, 2007
That's a nice tip. Usually, what i do is to peel the onion (outer layer) and then cut it inside a bowl of water. This has been working for me for years so i will try this new one.

N:B-I heard that when onions makes one cry, it sort-of cleanses the eye and is actually good.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Shentz(f): 10:52pm On Feb 17, 2007
Ya learn something new every day!
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by omogenaija(f): 2:44am On Mar 14, 2007
@ topic i've tried the water method and it works smiley
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by spoilt(f): 7:02pm On Mar 15, 2007
will try it. cutting onions is such a bitch.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by rowlandwhy: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2007
Have any body tried this yet??
Pls tell us
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by sunjongs(m): 4:54pm On Aug 10, 2007
onion is onion no mater what[size=8pt][/size]
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Boondoggle(m): 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2007
Tried the cone style, it worked like magic! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks poster, I can now add more onions to my recipies grin grin grin

'll try the salt and also the submarine methods for backup . ,

Shalom cool
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by rowlandwhy: 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2007
Boondoggle:

Tried the cone style, it worked like magic! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks poster, I can now add more onions to my recipies grin grin grin

'll try the salt and also the submarine methods for backup . ,

Shalom cool
thanks for sharing,
pls throw more light on how u performed the magic.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Boondoggle(m): 8:01pm On Aug 13, 2007
Using a knife, cut a cone out of the bottom of the onion (where the roots come out). The diameter of this cone should be about a third of the diameter of the onion, and about 1/3 deep. Take this piece and throw it away (don't put it down the disposal!). This piece contains the part/gland that makes baby Jesus and everyone else in the room cry when you're chopping it up. Once you've gotten that piece out, chop off the top, peel, and slice the onion.

Been doing it for years, and it works like a charm. You know your cone is too small if it doesn't work, because you've cut into that teargas grenade.

Cheers! grin grin grin

Shalom cool
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by chibzy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2007
I wanted trying this out befor posting my reply but i couldn't help it anyway. Thanks for all the tips. My own be say i dey try prove say i be man for the onion and when i cry, i dey console myself say e dey clear eye
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by MP007(m): 7:07am On Aug 18, 2007
dont avoid it , its good for the eye, who posted this shit

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beans Cake:what Is It Called In Your Tribe? / Removing Maggie From My Meal / Coconut Rice With Onion Veg Melon Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.