Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,017 members, 7,828,578 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions (2981 Views)

11 Intelligence Killing Foods You Need To Avoid / Six Foods To Avoid Before You Meet Your Woman In Bed / The Best Food To Eat At Night To Avoid Bad Dreams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Gamba(f): 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
Medically onions is very good for the sight, especially when u are cutting it and water is comng out from ur eyes dats when its more effectve but sha no be small thing o ! angry
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Jezgirl(f): 11:27pm On Nov 10, 2007
To me personally, i do not support the idea of d poster, generally, no matter what u u do 2 d onions will still make u cry 4 sure.
When you slice through an onion, you break open a number of onion cells. Some of these cells have enzymes inside of them, and when they are sliced open, the enzymes escape. The enzymes then decompose some of the other substances that have escaped from sliced cells. Some of these substances, amino acid sulfoxides, form sulfenic acids, which then quickly rearrange themselves into a volatile gas.

The gas reaches your eyes and reacts with the water that keeps them moist. This changes the chemical's form again, producing, among other things, a mild sulfuric acid, which irritates the eyes. The nerve endings in your eyes are very sensitive and so they pick up on this irritation (this is why our eyes sting when we slice onions). The brain reacts by telling your tear ducts to produce more water, to dilute the irritating acid so the eyes are protected. Your other reaction is probably to rub your eyes, but this will actually make the irritation a lot worse, of course, if you have onion juices all over your hands.
So let's cut d whole crap bout cuttin off some part of d onions or soaking dem in water. { NA LIE}.

kiss
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Jezgirl(f): 11:29pm On Nov 10, 2007
D best way 2 solve d problem is peeling the onion and then chilling it in the refrigerator before you slice it will minimize the release of gas somewhat, because the change in temperature alters the compounds in the onion. Cooking an onion before you slice it will work also, for the same reason. Another easy solution is to cut the onion under water or run the tap over it as you slice. cheesy
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Ladytemi(f): 4:13am On Nov 11, 2007
Putting the onion in the fridge for 10-15 mins also works great.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Bblak(f): 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2007
I'll put it to test.Thanks
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by mariejane(f): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2007
interesting! but y should u try to do that when it sort of cleanses the eyes? i will try it though cos its embarassing when ur mascara runs just because u r trying to chop onions. wink
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Jezgirl(f): 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ ,mariejane, lol, y don't u try n buy waterproof mascara if u don't want ur mascara 2 be runnin wink
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by Tammyo: 2:54am On Nov 24, 2007
thanks guys,will sure try out all these suggestions.whenever i slice onions, i'm unable to shut my eyes for 30mins!so i nevergo near onions before i sleep.
Re: How To Avoid Crying When Chopping Onions by janedoe(f): 1:48pm On Jan 06, 2008
Yep the fridge thing works and you could also pour some lemon juice on the onions

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beans Cake:what Is It Called In Your Tribe? / Imported Cereal For Your Babies / Coconut Rice With Onion Veg Melon Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.