Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (6592 Views)

Knocking Sound / Rattling, Knocking Sound After Changing Oil Seal / I Noticed A Wonder Suv In 2006 V8 Volkswagen Touareg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 12:28am On Apr 06, 2015
on Friday on my way from portharcourt to benin I heard rattli g sound immediately I got to bomadi junc. in delta state so I had to pull over close to a Mech. shop who assisted me in changing d oil and filter that d oil was too light .DAT I shud manage it to benin BT wen I got to ughelli d sound increased so I had to tow it to my bros Mech. shop in benin .so he checked it and said d engine is completely bad I then told him DAT its not dropping oil he then made a call and told me DAT d engine is 140k so I told him to start dropping d engine .he then start d car and drove d car into d shop while it rattles b4 then I quarried him on y he drove d car he said no prob. on gettin to d MKT I was told DAT d last price is 600k. BT my Mech. in ph and some other persons said d engine shed 1st b opened to arcertain d damage caused b d Mech. in benin is insisting DAT there is no need for because he believes DAT its a complete write off and a belgium engine is pretty expensive so guys please wat do u advice.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:42am On Apr 06, 2015
B
noel76:
on Friday on my way from portharcourt to benin I heard rattli g sound immediately I got to bomadi junc. in delta state so I had to pull over close to a Mech. shop who assisted me in changing d oil and filter that d oil was too light .DAT I shud manage it to benin BT wen I got to ughelli d sound increased so I had to tow it to my bros Mech. shop in benin .so he checked it and said d engine is completely bad I then told him DAT its not dropping oil he then made a call and told me DAT d engine is 140k so I told him to start dropping d engine .he then start d car and drove d car into d shop while it rattles b4 then I quarried him on y he drove d car he said no prob. on gettin to d MKT I was told DAT d last price is 600k. BT my Mech. in ph and some other persons said d engine shed 1st b opened to arcertain d damage caused b d Mech. in benin is insisting DAT there is no need for because he believes DAT its a complete write off and a belgium engine is pretty expensive so guys please wat do u advice.

1. You are better off with getting a new engine

2. Your engine is not 600k

3. If you aRe not ready to fix it, tow it home.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by lonelydora: 8:41am On Apr 06, 2015
That Benin mechanic is just an Orubebe. 600k for a Pathfinder engine? Take that car to another workshop because he has shown you the RIPPING-OFF handwriting on the wall.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by sultaan(m): 7:41pm On Apr 06, 2015
There is too much missing detail in your problem you never mentioned if your check engine light was on or low oil pressure or some mechanic worked chaNged engine oil what type you use .

It could be a timing chain tensioner making noise pull the oil pan first the is your check engine light on and what did the scanner give
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 8:47pm On Apr 06, 2015
Just came back from ladipo mkt in Lagos and d least I got is 650k. The engine has been dropped and I discovered a small opening on both sides of the engine behind the ac compressors and the kick starter. Though while we were looking for rope to tow the vehicle on Friday my bro discovered part of d piston assembly don't know what's its called. The engine type is vq40de.@ gazzuz.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 8:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
My mech. In ph said he can rebuild the engine.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by majalisa(m): 9:01pm On Apr 06, 2015
noel76:
try tracking siena or cityNG,they might be able to help..goodluck
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02pm On Apr 06, 2015
noel76:
Just came back from ladipo mkt in Lagos and d least I got is 650k. The engine has been dropped and I discovered a small opening on both sides of the engine behind the ac compressors and the kick starter. Though while we were looking for rope to tow the vehicle on Friday my bro discovered part of d piston assembly don't know what's its called. The engine type is vq40de.@ gazzuz.

I'm on your case, you will get possitive response tommorow. Meanwhile, don't start a race when you are not sure how long the journey is. Now ur engine is out, if you don't fix it soon it might become a donor car for parts.

Cheaper option is to buy a head and block, it will be cheaper by almost 100k. I will search for your engine straight from the importer warhouses for a good buy.

noel76:

Don't even try it.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 06, 2015
noel76:

Your mechanic in Portharcourt can rebuild your engine?? Really??

noel76:
I discovered a small opening on both sides of the engine behind the ac compressors and the kick starter. On Friday my bro discovered part of d piston assembly don't know what's its called.

Your engine has thrown a rod, and smashed holes in your cylinder block (likely due to the fact your "mechanic" drove it some distance with blown conrod bearings). And some guy says he can rebuild it? What's he going to do about the holes in the block - seal them with black gum?? angry

2 Likes

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2015
Siena:

Your engine has thrown a rod, and smashed holes in your cylinder block (likely due to the fact your "mechanic" drove it some distance with blown conrod bearings). And some guy says he can rebuild it? What's he going to do about the holes in the block - seal them with black gum ?? angry
grin
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I'm on your case, you will get possitive response tommorow. Meanwhile, don't start a race when you are not sure how long the journey is. Now ur engine is out, if you don't fix it soon it might become a donor car for parts.

Cheaper option is to buy a head and top, it will be cheaper by almost 100k. I will search for your engine straight from the importer warhouses for a good buy.

Don't even try it.

Is this an error?
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 06, 2015
Siena:

Your engine has thrown a rod, and smashed holes in your cylinder block (likely due to the fact your "mechanic" drove it some distance with blown conrod bearings). And some guy says he can rebuild it? What's he going to do about the holes in the block - seal them with black gum?? angry

I stand behind my astute Bros in his diagnosis.

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:19pm On Apr 06, 2015
CityNG:

Is this an error?

Complete engine without the accessories.

Head and block I mean grin

Tanks
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
Siena:

grin
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 10:53pm On Apr 06, 2015
@ Siena my Mech said he can cast d opening below the engine block or possibly get a replacement for it .note the engine still starts wen u turn d ignition.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 11:19pm On Apr 06, 2015
D part dat fell. Froim d engine @ ughelli delta state b4 d vehicle was towed to benin.

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 11:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
Blown part of d engine.

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 07, 2015
noel76:
@ Siena my Mech said he can cast d opening below the engine block or possibly get a replacement for it .note the engine still starts wen u turn d ignition.

Bruh, when a conrod or conrod cap fails, the damage is extensive, there's more to it than just a hole in the crankcase.

The crank journal will be toast. The offending rod has been thrown, so of course the engine will turn, and run. If you're still keen on letting your mechanic attempt a repair, then good luck. I don't have a vested financial interest, so I have nothing to lose or gain, my advice is purely from my knowledge as an engineer.

1 Like

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by sultaan(m): 1:56am On Apr 07, 2015
I have heard of engines getting 4ked up but your engines is also toast .

You had oil leak from valve cover and other spot that caused you to drive with no oil in the car so engine got worn out who else just get a used engine and you will be fine it won't be a cheap lesson but now you know to check oil level and sludge can cause that to.

Anyone who say they can fix it is lying you will need a new engine not sure about the condition of the head but just get a used engine of same type
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 4:54am On Apr 07, 2015
@sultaan, d engine was serviced few days b4 embarking on d journey and d oil u c around d valve cover surfaced after I replaced d rings about 2yrs + ago. D cost of getting a used engine is pretty on d high side and one can not really know d condition too. D least price I got was 620k in benin and I tot I cud get it cheaper in ladipo though I only saw 2 ppl who has d engine because of d easter monday holiday.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 5:12am On Apr 07, 2015
@ siena is it possible dat d conrod cap was not properly attached to d conrod d last tyme d rings were replaced? And couple of months b4 now there was dis gradual rattling sound dat was coming out of engine 2 diff. Mech. Cud not really address d issue they just brush it aside as if it doesn't matter. And I'm always very observant wen I'm driving in terms of d dash board indicator oil guage was very normal. And now d mechs here are saying d oil pump is d culprit because it failed bt there was no sign from d dash board indicator.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 5:34am On Apr 07, 2015
We repaired cracked engine blocks over here, so it's not necessarily a death kneel.

The big question is should you do that and especially in Nigeria.

But yes you can repair a cracked engine block.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59am On Apr 07, 2015
(Engine shiped from japan)I can supply your comlete engine for 550k

Stripped with out accessories for 470k.

1 Like

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02am On Apr 07, 2015
There's a second option of replacing just block 320k
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 12:59pm On Apr 07, 2015
@ gazzuzz wats d price of vx56de engine and will it fit in. I just entered ph now.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
noel76:
@ gazzuzz wats d price of vx56de engine and will it fit in. I just entered ph now.

What is your exact engine model?

I recommend you buy exactly what you removed.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 07, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
There's a second option of replacing just block 320k

Ttue, that's another option, but...

...It depends on what caused the conrod to fail. If low oil pressure played a part, then there will be cylinder head, and / or camshaft(s) damage. When oil pressure drops, the cams suffer first, as they are furthest from the oil pump. Even if they look okay, I would not advice the head and cams are reused. A short engine assembly is still not that cheap, we don't want the thread starter to have cause to open another disaster thread, or revisit this one.

Another issue is the average Nigerian mechanic's penchant for getting the timing between the camshaft and crankshaft wrong, with catastrophic results, even on a simple I4 SOHC 8V engine. Consider the same approach with a V6 2 x DOHC 24V motor.

One thing I've always wondered - how many Nigerian mechanics use a torque wrench, or even know the factory torque settings of the cylinder head bolts, crank and connecting rod bearing cap bolts? That cap that came loose and smashed holes in the block is a major cause for concern.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 5:42am On Apr 08, 2015
This is the pic I took of the engine. My mech said dat d conrod was starved of oil hence d burnt part of d conrod attached to the crankshaft he said the crankshaft shud b replaced with another one (standard). The block shud also b replaced or can b welded. And replace one of d conrod.

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 5:43am On Apr 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

What is your exact engine model?

I recommend you buy exactly what you removed.

VQ40DE
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 5:53am On Apr 08, 2015
Siena:

Ttue, that's another option, but...

...It depends on what caused the conrod to fail. If low oil pressure played a part, then there will be cylinder head, and / or camshaft(s) damage. When oil pressure drops, the cams suffer first, as they are furthest from the oil pump. Even if they look okay, I would not advice the head and cams are reused. A short engine assembly is still not that cheap, we don't want the thread starter to have cause to open another disaster thread, or revisit this one.

Another issue is the average Nigerian mechanic's penchant for getting the timing between the camshaft and crankshaft wrong, with catastrophic results, even on a simple I4 SOHC 8V engine. Consider the same approach with a V6 2 x DOHC 24V motor.

One thing I've always wondered - how many Nigerian mechanics use a torque wrench, or even know the factory torque settings of the cylinder head bolts, crank and connecting rod bearing cap bolts? That cap that came loose and smashed holes in the block is a major cause for concern.

Is it possible dat wrong torque setting of d conrod bearing cap bolt cud b responsible for this or sludge in d engine because I saw little amount of oil sludge wen d bottom plate was opened.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 08, 2015
I would strongly advice you source a complete replacement engine.

There are simply too many pitfalls in your chosen route. And as for welding a cast aluminium block, not a good idea. I have seen the odd engine block welded, but only if the hole or crack was caused from the OUTSIDE. With a conrod exiting the block, there is the risk of metal fatigue or hairline cracks, which would most likely require an X-ray to make them visible.

Still, it's your call, I know I would not feel comfortable driving a vehicle that has had such a repair. You were lucky this time, oil on a hot exhaust manifold, well you know the rest.

1 Like

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Inception(m): 2:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
Siena:
I would strongly advice you source a complete replacement engine.

There are simply too many pitfalls in your chosen route. And as for welding a cast aluminium block, not a good idea. I have seen the odd engine block welded, but only if the hole or crack was caused from the OUTSIDE. With a conrod exiting the block, there is the risk of metal fatigue or hairline cracks, which would most likely require an X-ray to make them visible.

Still, it's your call, I know I would not feel comfortable driving a vehicle that has had such a repair. You were lucky this time, oil on a hot exhaust manifold, well you know the rest.

[size=50pt]SIENA U TOO MUCH ABEG[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nissan Primera P11-144 CVT Not Selecting Properly Codes P0325 and P1777 / Error Code: P0741 (corolla '07) / Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.