Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (780) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3025724 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 03, 2019
Odunayaw:
Shot down by AA rounds it was designed to withstand or there is something else at play

Main body and rotor can withstand hit to an extent

But coaxial tail rotors at the rear any damage to it or the transmission boom ie the long tail , helicopter has no option but to descent fast otherwise the whole helicopter will go into a uncontrollable spin to the ground.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2019
nemesis8u:

But coaxial rotors at the rear any damage to it or the transmission boom ie the long tail , helicopter has no option but to descent fast otherwise the whole helicopter will go into a uncontrollable spin to the ground.

Hmm, sad news too early
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 11:11am On Jan 03, 2019
nemesis8u:

But coaxial rotors at the rear any damage to it or the transmission boom ie the long tail , helicopter has no option but to descent fast otherwise the whole helicopter will go into a uncontrollable spin to the ground.

That's the worst nightmare of any helicopter Pilot (Loss of tail rotor), chances of coming out of such crash is extremely low. Infact I've not heard of a situation where a pilot regained control of a helicopter after the tail rotor fails/breaks off.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2019
Stephandeswardt:
This ISWAP faction is a bit too tactical, not to be getting outside help........to me, the army brass is a bit laid back, like the soldiers are expendable puns.....i also think, the army brass needs to stop the idea of mass production, and put more emphasis on the quality of each soldier passing out......
Personally, I think a B.Sc. or HND(at worst OND) should be prerequisite for recruitment into the military. A large proportion of the Nigerian armed forces is made up of uneducated or under-educated people. Recruitment is skewed to favour some sections of the country, how then can we expect a professional body?.

I agree with you, quality should be a priority. Only a person who has passed through the semi-regimented process that the Nigerian educational system provides(Primary, Secondary and Tertiary) will be able to easily retain military training and discipline.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 11:31am On Jan 03, 2019
Odunayaw:
Shot down by AA rounds it was designed to withstand or there is something else at play

I hope not manpads
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 11:32am On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

That's the worst nightmare of any helicopter Pilot (Loss of tail rotor), chances of coming out of such crash is extremely low. Infact I've not heard of a situation where a pilot regained control of a helicopter after the tail rotor fails/breaks off.

Same demise of usa black hawks....in somalia
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:32am On Jan 03, 2019
EVarn:
Personally, I think a B.Sc. or HND(at worst OND) should be prerequisite for recruitment into the military. A large proportion of the Nigerian armed forces is made up of uneducated or under-educated people. Recruitment is skewed to favour some sections of the country, how then can we expect a professional body?.

I agree with you, quality should be a priority. Only a person who has passed through the semi-regimented process that the Nigerian educational system provides(Primary, Secondary and Tertiary) will be able to easily retain military training and discipline.
If our public schools (where most people pass through) were up to scratch I see no reason why any SSCE holder shouldn't be Able to grasp military training (and that's not saying our soldiers don't)

That said, education is not the problem. In the SA Bush war they had a battalion made of predominantly bushmen (31 Bn) and I doubt there has risen any COIN effective unit as them on the continent

I don't know if its the training approach or caliber of instructors but I know there's no where in Top armies that a grunt needs more than his high school certificate to get in the military

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 11:34am On Jan 03, 2019
Stephandeswardt:

I hope not manpads
If these thugs had manpads the A-jets would have been falling all year long

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 11:34am On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

Lie.....unless it is the co-axial choppees built by russia.....once the tail rotor is gone, you are spinning down to earth
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2019
Odunayaw:
If these thugs had manpads the A-jets would have been falling all year long

A-jet might not be effective like mi35m
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 11:47am On Jan 03, 2019
Stephandeswardt:

Lie.....unless it is the co-axial choppees built by russia.....once the tail rotor is gone, you are spinning down to earth
Isn't that what he said? Read his post again, slowly.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 11:53am On Jan 03, 2019
Odunayaw:
If our public schools (where most people pass through) were up to scratch I see no reason why any SSCE holder shouldn't be Able to grasp military training (and that's not saying our soldiers don't)

That said, education is not the problem. In the SA Bush war they had a battalion made of predominantly bushmen (31 Bn) and I doubt there has risen any COIN effective unit as them on the continent

I don't know if its the training approach or caliber of instructors but I know there's no where in Top armies that a grunt needs more than his high school certificate to get in the military
You do have a point. But then again, you'd be surprised how many of our men don't even have that ordinary SSCE.

My thinking is, education instills some sort of base values that serves as foundation for any sort of future training. It is easier for an educated person to grasp the concept of rules of engagement, hierarchy, and force discipline than a person who doesn't even have a SSCE certificate.

The Bush warriors you mentioned were understandably fighting for a specific objective, they were homogenous and of course, had a pre-existing form of martial training and discipline.

However I think I agree that it is the calibre of training. They just train soldiers on endurance and stamina. Archaic forms of training as if we are still in WW2. These guys hardly know how to fight in units or how to fight under duress. Weapons training is shoddy, someone posted a videos here recently where a soldier was firing at close range, and he had to fire four times before hitting his target,I mean, his mark was practically squatting in front of his barrel,yet he couldn't hit him.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 11:58am On Jan 03, 2019
Xbee007:

Isn't that what he said? Read his post again, slowly.

You should read again....co-axials do not have taill rotor
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 11:59am On Jan 03, 2019
Stephandeswardt:

What's Lie in my post maybe you can throw more light. But from an informed point of view no helicopter in the world even the ones built by Italy or US can survive a loss of the tail rotor. It all boils down to the working principle of the Main rotor and tail rotor, if you understand the POH you won't even argue abt it. So if the tail rotor is lost what other mechanism will be used to counter the torque of the main rotor?
To the best of my memory NAF does not have any coaxial chopper in her inventory.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

What's Lie in my post maybe you can throw more light. But from an informed point of view no helicopter in the world even the ones built by Italy or US can survive a loss of the tail rotor. It all boils down to the working principle of the Main rotor and tail rotor, if you understand the POH you won't even argue abt it. So if the tail rotor is lost what other mechanism will be used to counter the torque of the main rotor?

Counter rotating main rotor.....no need for tail rotor

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:03pm On Jan 03, 2019
Despite the poor working condition, our gallant Nigerian Army soldiers did very well when BokoHaram fighters attempted taking over the town of Damasak a town bordering, Diffa Region of NigerRepublic. Our troops ambushed and killed scores of BokoHaram. #VictoryIsNear

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2019
Stephandeswardt:

ugo4u is correct ,

In my post autocorrect changed axial to coaxial

helicopters with coaxial rotors don't have anti torque tail rotors . And such helicopters don't face anti torque failures.

And Nigeria does not have coaxial rotor based helicopters.

Funny thing
I , u and ugo4u r saying the same thing

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by SternProphet: 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

For now bokoharam don't have the capability/weapon to bring down an Aircraft save for AA which most atimes they don't have the requisite technical know-how to use it against an Aircraft, they usually use it for surface to surface engagements.
Most likely the crash will be as a result of poor weather or technical fault. I suspect the former, because visibility is too poor this season in the northeast.
Intelligent post.
Why did Boko Haram choose this period to attack far flung outposts I a serial manner?
Answer: Haramattan haze weather.

Same reason they were hoping the Air force would be too reluctant to launch sorties due to low visibility, they probably can shoot down planes with manual sighting AAAs. If this aircraft was shot down then a guided missile was probably used which is worrisome.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2019
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 1:14pm On Jan 03, 2019
Just sighted a powerful heavy lifter (with 4 monstrous engines!) in the sky of Abuja. Probably belonging to USAF or RAF.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 1:16pm On Jan 03, 2019
SternProphet:

Intelligent post.
Why did Boko Haram choose this period to attack far flung outposts I a serial manner?
Answer: Haramattan haze weather.

Same reason they were hoping the Air force would be too reluctant to launch sorties due to low visibility, they probably can shoot down planes with manual sighting AAAs. If this aircraft was shot down then a guided missile was probably used which is worrisome.
hmmmm!!!! I don't want to think in that direction oo, because it is a very very very fearful thing most especially to the NAF and in extension the NA.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2019
slimthugchimee2:

I didn't know I had a fellow artist here grin grin

Here are mine

Jesus!! I am truly a learner. Those are great cheesy cheesy
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 1:43pm On Jan 03, 2019
EVarn:
You do have a point. But then again, you'd be surprised how many of our men don't even have that ordinary SSCE.

My thinking is, education instills some sort of base values that serves as foundation for any sort of future training. It is easier for an educated person to grasp the concept of rules of engagement, hierarchy, and force discipline than a person who doesn't even have a SSCE certificate.

The Bush warriors you mentioned were understandably fighting for a specific objective, they were homogenous and of course, had a pre-existing form of martial training and discipline.

However I think I agree that it is the calibre of training. They just train soldiers on endurance and stamina. Archaic forms of training as if we are still in WW2. These guys hardly know how to fight in units or how to fight under duress. Weapons training is shoddy, someone posted a videos here recently where a soldier was firing at close range, and he had to fire four times before hitting his target,I mean, his mark was practically squatting in front of his barrel,yet he couldn't hit him.
I remember its a requirement to have a SSCE to get in the Army (but we know how bad "miracle centres" has tarnished the credibility)

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 1:57pm On Jan 03, 2019
EVarn:

I watched an encounter between Nigerian troops and Bokoharam guys uploaded on YouTube, honestly speaking it was quite embarrassing how those guys where practically shooting aimlessly and shouting "e never die, e never die" !! in the video their coordination was zero, compactness zero. if you read the comments some foreign guys where making on that video ehh!!! shame will not allow you mention they're Nigerian soldiers.
I'll try and post the link here later

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 2:11pm On Jan 03, 2019
bidexiii:
MILITARY ISSUES ARE NOT ALL COMERS AFFAIRS

1. The Nigerian Army (NA) has observed with concern the recent negative reportage and criticisms of her activities in the social and mainstream media especially as it relates to equipment and attacks on troops’ locations in Operation LAFIYA DOLE. It is further observed that some individuals and groups in and outside Nigeria have been making false claims and allegations that Boko Haram terrorists are better equipped than the Armed Forces Nigeria (AFN). Nothing can be further from the truth as the AFN have universally accepted doctrines, are better trained, equipped and well -motivated. Therefore, there is no basis for comparison between the Nigerian soldier and the Boko Haram terrorists. Whereas the Nigerian military system is voluntary and enlistment or commission are borne out of patriotism and love for the country, the terrorists on the other hand are indoctrinated and in most cases coerced to take up arms against the state and humanity.

2. These issues are further exacerbated by a section of the media, possibly at the behest of some disgruntled elements in the society. The attacks on NA troops are not as a result of superior arms or equipment, rather it is due to the use of psychological weapon which is as good as any lethal weapons. The psychological attacks have been further aggravated by some unpatriotic elements in the society that take joy and pride in propagating such falsehoods.

3. It is surprising that some Nigerians, for whatever mundane reasons, would compare a group of confused and misguided elements operating under the influence of drugs and warped ideologies to NA troops. It will be necessary to observe that unlike the NA, the terrorists live amongst the populace and used that opportunity to spread their propaganda. NA fights according to set down ROE while the BHT does not. Also, while the NA seeks to protect lives and properties, the renegades seek to destroy same.

4. Our conviction is that these negative comments about the NA are aimed at demoralizing the troops and breaking its cohesion. They are borne out of selfish, political and unpatriotic reasons with a view to bringing down the government of the day. We totally condemn and reject the insinuations that the BHT are better equipped than the NA. Rather, we are bold to say and re-affirm that NA troops are better trained, equipped and better motivated than the rag-tag BHT. Indeed, there are no basis for comparison.

5. It should be realized that the use of psychological attack on the NA is as potent as the use of arms and ammunition. Unfortunately, the psychological attacks are not being waged against the NA by the BHT alone but also by some misguided elements both within and out of the country, either under the guise of humanitarian and Human Rights concerns or low morale. Far from that, most of these false allegations were based on selfish and mostly political reasons by unpatriotic elements. Despite extant rules, these group of persons discuss highly classified military issues which they are mostly ignorant about on various media platforms. Indeed, those who should know better are the ones perpetrating these acts. The psychological effects of spreading misinformation and fake news are grievous and inimical to national security and should not be allowed to continue. Conduct prejudicial to military discipline and cowardice as being exhibited by few misguided soldiers should not be misconstrued as a failure on the part of the military or the government.

6. Military equipment and welfare are known issues in the NA, and when such problems are observed, appropriate steps are taken to remedy them. The President has provided for NA in terms of welfare and equipment. Nigerians are enjoined to note that military issues are not all comers’ affairs. The Nigerian Army will always address its challenges and will take charge of any issue without any external prompting, criticism or condemnation. We will remain responsive and professional in the discharge of our constitutional responsibilities.

7. You are please requested to disseminate this information to the public through your medium.

8. Thank you for your kind cooperation.

SANI KUKASHEKA USMAN
Brigadier General
Director Army Public Relations
3rd January 2019

I believe in this more than the words of some recent posts.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 2:15pm On Jan 03, 2019
I even wrote something similar (see below) but did not post it. Did not want it to seem in support of any government. I support Nigeria people, governments of whatever type come and go.

Nigerians (Nigerians?) on social media bear some responsibility. Nigerian soldiers apparently have significant access to social media. The approach of Nigerians to politics, which is ugly and unpatriotic, informed the message sent to soldiers. These messages were overtly in favour of soldiers wellbeing but covertly against soldiers and indirectly anti Nigeria. The architects of these messages where and are individuals so morally bankrupts, they place political interest above the lives of millions of Nigerians, the Nation itself let alone the soldiers. The effect of the fake care that these Nigeria social media proponents professed for the soldiers and which was really intended to undermine the army in order to cause havoc in the nation just so that they could blame this eventuality on the government they are against, resulted in soldiers imbued with senses of entitlement anathema to the very nature of soldering. Soldiers became both mollycoddled and entitled, manifesting itself in soldiers subconsciously influenced by thoughts that they could never be wrong, no matter if they are soft, cowardly, unpatriotic, poor and so on because they could never be at fault since Nigeria the nation, under the governorship of whomever social media were against, would always be to blame, carry the can.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EricBloodAxe: 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

I watched an encounter between Nigerian troops and Bokoharam guys uploaded on YouTube, honestly speaking it was quite embarrassing how those guys where practically shooting aimlessly and shouting "e never die, e never die" !! in the video their coordination was zero, compactness zero. if you read the comments some foreign guys where making on that video ehh!!! shame will not allow you mention they're Nigerian soldiers.

Lol. Old video and yeah the Nigerian army just lacked coordination as seen from their clustering together in the same place while shooting to their wasting bullets with no direct aiming. Really embarrassing grin

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthqsrhXc9s
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 2:31pm On Jan 03, 2019
EricBloodAxe:

Lol. Old video and yeah the Nigerian army just lacked coordination as seen from their clustering together in the same place while shooting to their wasting bullets with no direct aiming. Really embarrassing grin

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthqsrhXc9s
We really need to invest in training of our soldiers members of SBS, AFSF, 72MSF etc don't have two heads, it is just like Abba Kyari that is almost seen as a demi-cop, believe you me the police force have very intelligent officers that can do the same or even better than Kyari the difference is just that the police gives Kyari and his team the latest equipment/gadget to their job. We should invest in quality training, I still believe we have the resources to 'mass produce" quality personnel with the right equipment we just have to flip the books right from NDA and Depot because even if you give ill-trained soldiers AK-1000 it will still fall into the hands of BHT. A weapon is as good as its handler.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 2:43pm On Jan 03, 2019
And yet, leadership within the army bares significant responsibility for failing to mitigate the negative effects of social media content on soldiers moral at their command. There ought be pep talks and snap meetings held for soldiers even at the warfront. Discouraging the reliance on Opia (Isoko word for magic) over training ought be part of such motivational talks.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 3:03pm On Jan 03, 2019
Odunayaw:
I remember its a requirement to have a SSCE to get in the Army (but we know how bad "miracle centres" has tarnished the credibility)
It is not just miracle centres alone sef, what about the "big men" in the military, who just "work" all of their acquaintances into the military, both qualified and unqualified. You see a lot of our hausa brothers who didn't even attend primary school, wielding rifles at army checkpoints. Of course, it cuts across tribes, but it's majorly from one section due to their population in the armed forces.

Anyway, I think for Nigeria, and with the current failed state of our educational system, SSCE isn't even suitable for the military anymore.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 3:16pm On Jan 03, 2019
EVarn:
It is not just miracle centres alone sef, what about the "big men" in the military, who just "work" all of their acquaintances into the military, both qualified and unqualified. You see a lot of our hausa brothers who didn't even attend primary school, wielding rifles at army checkpoints. Of course, it cuts across tribes, but it's majorly from one section due to their population in the armed forces.

Anyway, I think for Nigeria, and with the current failed state of our educational system, SSCE isn't even suitable for the military anymore.
grin It's okay

All will make sense when we are truly tired
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 3:20pm On Jan 03, 2019
ugo4u:

I think I have watched that video. They were clustered against a deep wedge along the roadside and some were trying to shoot across the road, while others were shooting in the opposite direction. I think the BH guys had them surrounded. One was even almost lying on his back while shooting, even the guy who was filming sef angry he was supposed to be engaging the attackers too. "That one don die?", "E never die, e never die!" angry angry . Disgrace.

(1) (2) (3) ... (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: abbati19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.