Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,895 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 (4661 Views)

5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying Your Car From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by senola1: 9:57am On Apr 06, 2015
Hello Fellow Nairalanders,happy easter to you all.

I have been in a fix of recent trying to purchase an 08/09 Toyota Camry. While most of the clean ones out there in the market comes with Push to Start button, Formica wood grain interior and leather seat options to mention but a few,the option of it being a V6 engine makes me think twice because i have friends who have used same in times past and advised me not to buy a camry V6 coz of known transmission failures.

So am thinking of considering the I4 engine even though i have always wanted a V6 engine coz of the solid power and performance it comes with.

Kindly advise me pls.

thanks
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by senola1: 11:56am On Apr 06, 2015
ok seems all the car gurus are out on easter break grin grin
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Rubis(m): 9:37pm On Apr 06, 2015
Aside the fact that V6 consumes more fuel, I see nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by nurey(m): 9:57pm On Apr 06, 2015
Stay away from the 2007 model of that camry but 08 to 12 V6, my guy go for it, I will advice you to stay away from push button to start except your windows are made of tempered bullet proof windows.

Why? The thief only needs to remove the small glass, unlock the door, seat comfortably, push the button and drive home his new christmas gift. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by oNj(m): 11:54pm On Apr 06, 2015
nurey:
Stay away from the 2007 model of that camry but 08 to 12 V6, my guy go for it, I will advice you to stay away from push button to start except your windows are made of tempered bullet proof windows.

Why? The thief only needs to remove the small glass, unlock the door, seat comfortably, push the button and drive home his new christmas gift..Lol

Push to Start tech doesn't work that way.
I use one myself and can confidently tell you that the car won't start without the (sensor)remote being inside the car.
In fact, should the remote be moved away from the car after it's started, the engine will go off about 5mins afterwards.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by senola1: 6:04pm On Apr 11, 2015
Thanks to all those who posted. My concerns are actually centered on the transmission failures people complained with the V6 models.
What do you advice
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Nixon55(m): 8:15am On Apr 12, 2015
senola1:
Thanks to all those who posted. My concerns are actually centered on the transmission failures people complained with the V6 models.
What do you advice
Car maintenance and longevity is a function of the owner. I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6 that was bought three years ago and the transmission has not failed nor had any issues. The transmission is enclosed in that you can't top up any transmission fluid. If you have to change the transmission fluid, it has to be done by an expert or at a competent dealership.
We need to understand that there 2001 cars out there that are still in good condition while there are 2010 cars that their owners have so abused that it is now a nightmare. So it is to a large extent how thorough you are.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by senola1: 10:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hello All,

Thanks for the contributions thus far. Over to our abled
Siena
Olanshi
Gazzuz
Lomaxbien
Calculux and others
Whats your advice on the 07/08 camry xle v6
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Kashif(m): 8:02am On May 01, 2015
A known issue with the early U660E transmission is cold flares (gear disengaging momentarily before re-engaging). This is caused by the TCM algorithm. A trick around it to drive in D3 in the morning until the engine is warm, as it prevents an upshift to gears 4 and higher. A TCM flash usually corrects this but in very few instances, it does not.

09 models are almost bullet proof.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Kingsteve(m): 12:08pm On May 01, 2015
nurey:

Why? The thief only needs to remove the small glass, unlock the door, seat comfortably, push the button and drive home his new christmas gift. Lol

I laugh...ignorance!
Most times, it's better not to speak, if you aren't too sure of what you're about to say.
In contrast to what you just posted, push to start is safer than key. Lol
Do more research on push to start.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by starlingbawa(m): 2:27pm On May 02, 2015
Kingsteve:

I laugh...ignorance!
Most times, it's better not to speak, if you aren't too sure of what you're about to say.
In contrast to what you just posted, push to start is safer than key. Lol
Do more research on push to start.

As far as I'm concerned, you have also not made any meaningful contribution. You have accused him of being ignorant 'BUT YOU FAILED' to enlighten him too and to a large extent others reading these comments.

I think it would have been better if you had elaborated on the KEY reasons why the push to start is safer/better off. Sincerely, I'd love to know too just so I'd be better informed.

It's all about broadening our knowledge and learning from each other on this platform.

It works best that way and I'm sure you'd agree?

Cheers!

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Kingsteve(m): 2:53pm On May 02, 2015
starlingbawa:

As far as I'm concerned, you have also not made any meaningful contribution. You have accused him of being ignorant 'BUT YOU FAILED' to enlighten him too and to a large extent others reading these comments.

I think it would have been better if you had elaborated on the KEY reasons why the push to start is safer/better off. Sincerely, I'd love to know too just so I'd be better informed.

It's all about broadening our knowledge and learning from each other on this platform.

It works best that way and I'm sure you'd agree?

Cheers!

The only reason why I didn't elaborate more on the subject matter, was because another poster had already addressed the issue, however, for the sake of clarity, I will discuss more on why push to start is more secured than key.
Before most push to start cars start, the key fob must be with the person operating the vehicle.
It could be in the person's pocket, or anywhere in the vehicle.
So basically, without the presence of the key fob, the car wouldn't start.
Not only that, there's a procedure for starting vehicles with push to start button.
The brake and push to start button must be pressed down simultaneously before the Engine roars to live, so as you can see, it's not just about pressing the push to start button to start the vehicle.
One can spend the entire day trying to start such vehicles, even with the key fob, if the person doesn't have an idea of how to start such vehicles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by starlingbawa(m): 3:11pm On May 02, 2015
Kingsteve:

The only reason why I didn't elaborate more on the subject matter, was because another poster had already addressed the issue, however, for the sake of clarity, I will discuss more on why push to start is more secured than key.
Before most push to start cars start, the key fob must be with the person operating the vehicle.
It could be in the person's pocket, or anywhere in the vehicle.
So basically, without the presence of the key fob, the car wouldn't start.
Not only that, there's a procedure for starting vehicles with push to start button.
The brake and push to start button must be pressed down simultaneously before the Engine roars to live, so as you can see, it's not just about pressing the push to start button to start the vehicle.
One can spend the entire day trying to start such vehicles, even with the key fob, if the person doesn't have an idea of how to start such vehicles.

Thanks a lot lad grin

That should do.

Have a great day...

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by chuka5000(m): 3:57pm On May 02, 2015
There's nuffin berra than the v6 model.
The only worry u gat is fuel consumption.
But funny on highways its almost the same consumption with an i4 if u are not hitting the pedal hard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by senola1: 7:06pm On May 02, 2015
Okay......more more more.....
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by bravolad(m): 8:17pm On May 02, 2015
There's nothing wrong with the transmission of the 07/08 & 09 Camry. The only problem I see is when owners use wrong ATF, they are not likely to use them for a long time before the transmissions begin to fail. Wrong choice of this fluid and not changing the fluid when it's due account for the majority of the failures.

Concerning a V6 engine, it is durable better and offers a better performance & driver experience. Depending on your financial in flow, fuel consumption is negligible to the over all drive experience.

Most Nigerians have poor maintenance culture hence, the level of transmission failure. More so, people are unrealistic about V6 fuel consumption. Buy what you will enjoy not what others want.

Goodluck with your choice.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by Kashif(m): 2:46pm On May 05, 2015
bravolad:
There's nothing wrong with the transmission of the 07/08 & 09 Camry. The only problem I see is when owners use wrong ATF, they are not likely to use them for a long time before the transmissions begin to fail. Wrong choice of this fluid and not changing the fluid when it's due account for the majority of the failures.

Concerning a V6 engine, it is durable better and offers a better performance & driver experience. Depending on your financial in flow, fuel consumption is negligible to the over all drive experience.

Most Nigerians have poor maintenance culture hence, the level of transmission failure. More so, people are unrealistic about V6 fuel consumption. Buy what you will enjoy not what others want.

Goodluck with your choice.

There is a defect in early U660E that the Camry v6 2007 on are fitted with. You may delay its manifestation considerably if you are not a power thirsty driver. You will remember this transmission was introduced in 2007, and in as much as Toyota did all they could to give owners a powerful engine-to-wheel connector, it came out with an unforeseen. I have learned to stay away from automobiles with pilot drive trains and technology, and this car falls well within this category.

In my earlier post, I mentioned that a TCM flash corrects this, but in some instances, it does not sad When a flash does not correct it, you will have to replace it (with another defective unit). There is a bearing in the unit that was not designed to spin, but immense torque tends to flex the transmission case and frees the bearing! The result is massive aluminium dust getting into valve body assembly, and we can imagine the effect.

If your unit so malfunctions, it needs to be torn down, and cleaned up. It is a rugged transmission, but its case is a letdown.

Shalom.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying 07/08/09 Camry V6 by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57am On May 06, 2015
Kashif:

There is a defect in early U660E that the Camry v6 2007 on are fitted with. You may delay its manifestation considerably if you are not a power thirsty driver. You will remember this transmission was introduced in 2007, and in as much as Toyota did all they could to give owners a powerful engine-to-wheel connector, it came out with an unforeseen. I have learned to stay away from automobiles with pilot drive trains and technology, and this car falls well within this category.

In my earlier post, I mentioned that a TCM flash corrects this, but in some instances, it does not sad When a flash does not correct it, you will have to replace it (with another defective unit). There is a bearing in the unit that was not designed to spin, but immense torque tends to flex the transmission case and frees the bearing! The result is massive aluminium dust getting into valve body assembly, and we can imagine the effect.

If your unit so malfunctions, it needs to be torn down, and cleaned up. It is a rugged transmission, but its case is a letdown.

Shalom.

Thanks for this info! Will be woking on one this weekend at least I know what to look out for.

(1) (Reply)

Road Trip, Abuja - Tafawa Balewa(bauchi) - Wukari(taraba) - Makurdi - Abuja / Is Range Rover Sports 2010-2013 A Reliable Car To Own Or Should I Avoid It? / We Fix Your Sturborn And Problematic Vehicles Easily In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.