Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars (24453 Views)

Myth About Electric & Hybrid Cars: Are They Really For Nigeria? / 5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by AutoJoshNG: 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2017
Hybrids are awesome ,the opportunity of having not to waste much money on fuel is a great advantage .But in the engineering world we have a saying “No machine is hundred percent efficient “.And I also have a belief , no matter how awesome a machine is ,there would be some down sides .So what are the disadvantages of hybrids ?,lets find out .

1.INITIAL COST PRICE
Well, this is not a subject of debate , hybrids cost more .Some prices can make you drain your account .So if you are thinking of getting a hybrid , consider the cost.

2. RUNNING COST
From maintenance to replacements,the running cost of hybrid cars is neck breaking.The last I heard the batteries go for nothing less than 300,000 Naira .

3.POSSIBLE ELECTROCUTION
Because the batteries have high voltages ,there could be electrocution most likely when an accident occurs.

4.FLOOD LIMITATIONS
Because of a high concentration of electrical gadgetry , it’s very dangerous driving in a flood .Especially because of the battery .Infact the flood can render the vehicle useless,as I stated earlier ,it has more electrical and electronic components than regular cars ,the water from the flood could cause a short or bridge in the electrical circuits causing a total or partial damage.

5.LESS ENGINE POWER
Because of the small gas engine with and electric side to compensate for it .Most ,though not all hybrid cars , have less engine power compared to regular cars .So if you are looking for speed and acceleration and massive Horse Powers , hybrids are not for you.

Have a point or two to add ?,or do you disagree with any of my points ?.Keep the comments rolling in.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/5-disadvantages-of-hybrid-cars/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by winetapper: 12:32pm On Jan 20, 2017
I believe it has some good advantages too for it to be in the market.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by salamibigi(m): 12:56pm On Jan 20, 2017
Baba I partially disagree with the last three

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Ricmayak1: 6:14am On Jan 22, 2017
Me too
salamibigi:
Baba I partially disagree with the last three
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 22, 2017
k
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Ayodejioak(m): 6:56am On Jan 22, 2017
Team Tesla angry

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 22, 2017
What people fail to realize is that by changing your old car to a Hybrid you are contributing more for global warming and pollution, The factories that manufacture these cars aren't clean, Okay, your fancy Hybrid runs on Electricity yeah? Where does that electricity come from? And is it clean?

Case in point, don't buy a car until your current completely breaks down.

kabrud:

What's this one saying? Incomplete combustion of fuel causes carbon emissions which is environmental pollution. How does a system running on a battery cause global warming and pollution? As for where the electricity comes from, where do u think the energy for continuous charging of the car battery comes from? Go and find out the job of the alternator of a car.

Typical ignorant Dunce, who's talking about Car components, buying electric or hybrid cars simply switch your energy consumption from gas to electricity...The electric charging stations of hybrids are usually run by power plants that consume non Renewable products like coal, natural gas in Third
World countries, so hybrids are virtually useless for saving energy there, infact studies have shown if all cars are replaced with hybrids, it will reduce pollution by a very negligent amount.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Btruth: 7:03am On Jan 22, 2017
If good money dey, why not?
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by heykims(m): 7:08am On Jan 22, 2017
Pls Abeg o
What is hybrid car?
Is it d same as auto car?
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Frederick2017: 7:09am On Jan 22, 2017
I don't even like hybrid cars ...Just here to read comments
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by JackBizzle: 7:11am On Jan 22, 2017
Seun, Lalasticalala,

We should be fighting against fake news asper rule 8.

Number ,2,3,4 are all false or debatable

2) The only time a hybrid costs more is if there is a problem with the hybrid system or battery. The batter usually has 8-10 years warranty. Other than that, a hybrid costs the same to maintain. Also note that with a hybrid, you save a lot on fuel and also, your brake bads last longer in a hybrid due to regenerative braking system.

3) Electrocution- it would be like saying that an electric iron is a at a disadvantage from a coal iron because of electrocution. You will only be shocked if you are stoopid enough to shove your wet hand into the car's components while it is running.

4) Floods are also dangerous to normal cars.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Gidobaba(m): 7:11am On Jan 22, 2017
We learn every day
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by stuffs4me(m): 7:18am On Jan 22, 2017
OP, your points 2, 3 and 4 are totally wrong and misleading.

Regarding point 2. Hybrids cars don't have high running costs. On the other hand, most have much less running costs than regular cars. This even the biggest selling point of hybrid cars is that you spend far less on fuel when you are driving a hybrid car.

Regarding point 3. Hybrid cars have well insulated electrical systems and the risks of electrocution is very low. I would also like to remind you that regular cars have batteries in them too. How many times have you heard that the battery on the regular car electrocuted someone.

Regarding point 3. Flood is not good for any car be it hybrid or regular. Last time I checked water getting into engines don't make engines work more efficiently.

In conclusion, I think this issue is basically a matter of what one like as there is no perfect design of any type of vehicle on this earth. Every car, be it regular or hybrid has its owne imperfections.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kabrud: 7:40am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:
What people fail to realize is that by changing your old car to a Hybrid you are contributing more for global warming and pollution, The factories that manufacture these cars aren't clean, Okay, your fancy Hybrid runs on Electricity yeah? Where does that electricity come from? And is it clean?

What's this one saying? Incomplete combustion of fuel causes carbon emissions which is environmental pollution. How does a system running on a battery cause global warming and pollution? As for where the electricity comes from, where do u think the energy for continuous charging of the car battery comes from? Go and find out the job of the alternator of a car.

9 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Donbiddy(m): 7:41am On Jan 22, 2017
And here I am, thinking of buying an Hybrid Camry. Let me read well and see if I need to think twice.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Clefcentfelix(m): 7:41am On Jan 22, 2017
Is it feasible to use an hybrid TTR in Nigeria without much wahala? Pls I'd love to know
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Donbiddy(m): 7:42am On Jan 22, 2017
kabrud:

He seems not to understand jackshit about cars.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by leofab(f): 7:48am On Jan 22, 2017
I need one
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:

Haba bros! oya wait let me educate u...the electricity comes from any electric source the car pass for road abi u no hear? wait first , you know which one be hybrid abi? Na Indonesia dey make am. the country Yamaha Jammeha was just exiled from....cheers.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by lonelydora: 8:00am On Jan 22, 2017
Op, hybrid battery is about 700k when dollar was around 250 naira

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Automobile Plant In South South Nigeria Close To Completion / The Evolution Of Bugatti – Which Do You Like Most? (photos) / A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.