Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria (21370 Views)

Most Populous Tribe In Nigeria / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by theFilmtric: 4:02pm On Mar 11, 2021
tonychristopher:

6. Between February 16 - December 26, 2002 thousands of Igbo were killed in northern Nigeria and the root cause of the killing and riot was the implementation of Sharia law in the northern states of Nigeria . Among those killed were three Igbo Christian pastors including George Orji who was killed by beheading.

7. In November 2002, hundreds of Igbo were massacred again following controversy around the hosting of Miss World beauty contest in Nigeria

8. The APO-SIX killings occurred in June, 2005 in which the Nigeria Police Force extra-judicially killed six young Igbos (Ekene Isaac Mgbe, Ifeanyi Ozor, Chinedu Meniru, Paulinus Ogbonna, Anthony and Augustina Arebu) in Apo-Abuja. Till this day none of the police officers accused of this shockingly evil crime has been brought to justice.

9. On 18th of February 2006 in Maiduguri and in almost all the northern states of Nigeria , the Muslims protesting over the publication of the cartoon of Prophet Muhammad by a Danish newspaper killed more than 100 Igbo. The Muslims attacked Christians and burned churches in the deadliest confrontation yet in the whirlwind of Muslim anger over the drawings.

10. From March 2006 to July 2007, hundreds of Southerners were killed in almost all the northern states of Nigeria especially in Jos. The crisis was between Muslims and Christians.

11. On October 8, 2007, another religious violence again broke out in Northern Nigeria in a row over the publication of the cartoon of Prophet Muhammad by a Danish newspaper and over 100 of people were massacred, majority of them Igbos.

12. Between March 11, 2010 and September 1, 2011 over 500 Christians were massacred outside Plateau state capital, Jos. This time the killings took place in a mainly Christian village of Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau state.

13. On 24th April 2011, more than 1,000 were killed in post-election violence in Nigeria and among those killed were Obinna Okpokiri, who returned from London to serve his fatherland and was posted to Bauchi State, and Eucharia Remmy a graduate from the University of Nigeria in 2010, serving in Damaturu, Yobe State. Muslim youths launched protests in northern towns and cities after President Goodluck Jonathan, a Christian from Biafra, was declared the winner of the 16 April election, defeating northern Muslim Muhammadu Buhari, a former military ruler.

14. On June 16, 2011, a Boko haram suicide bomber drove a car bomb onto the premises of the Louis Edet House in Abuja , the headquarters of the Nigeria Police Force with a possible intention to kill Inspector-General of Police Hafiz Ringim whose convoy he followed into the compound. He was however limited by the concentration of security personnel within the entrance. The bomber and one Igbo traffic policeman were killed, though authorities said up to six people may have been killed

15. On 26 August 2011, the Islamist group, Boko Haram claimed responsibility for an attack on the United Nations building in Abuja which left over 40 people dead most of them Igbo

16. On September 25, 2011, five Igbo traders were shot dead at Madala Market, outskirts of Abuja on ThursdayNight between 7-8pm. According to the report, the gunmen stormed the Madala market and made straight to a shop believed to be that of some Igbo traders and ordered them to recite the Holy Quran which they could not do. The gunmen who were not satisfied with the development opened fire on the five people at close range leaving them dead immediately. The five casualties were later identified as John Kalu, Oliver Ezemah, Uche Nguweze, Sunday Emmanuel. The fifth casualty is yet to be identified

17. On December 25, 2011 Boko Haram claimed responsibility for Christmas Day Bomb attacks at St. Theresa's Catholic Church in Madala - near the capital Abuja - which left more than 50 Igbos dead. Mr Dike and his children were roasted alive

18. On January 5, 2012 more than 43 Igbos and other southerners were killed in Adamawa State north-eastern Nigeria . The first victims, 16 in all, were murdered on Friday night during a service at the Christ Apostolic Church , Yola, the state capital. Twenty-seven others described as mourners had been killed earlier on that day at Mubi by gunmen while they were meeting at the residence of another Igbo man who had been shot dead by Bokko Haram Islamist terrorist group a day earlier to plan for his burial

19. On January 11, 2012 Boko Haram terrorists shot dead four Igbo men who were believed to be fleeing violence-torn Maiduguri, residents said." Their car had just pulled up at a filling station outside the town to refuel when suspected Boko Haram gunmen in another car also pulled up and opened fire on the Igbos, killing them on the spot."

20. On Monday Jan 16, 2012 members of the Boko Haram terrorist group again shot dead five Southerners in their homes in Maiduguri. Three people among those shot dead have been confirmed as Igbos.

21. On 21st January 2012 at 2:55 GMT, more than 250 Southerners were killed in a series of bombings and attacks by Islamist zealots in the northern Nigerian city of Kano. The terrorist group, Boko Haram, claimed responsibility for the attacks.

22. On 16 March 2012, Mr John Nubrim was visibly traumatized after fleeing the north-eastern town of Maiduguri following attacks by the terrorist group, Boko Haram. According to him, "Only God knows how I escaped from that Maiduguri. They bomb over there." "They burned my shed. All my property, all my things, are there," said the young electronics trader, before letting out a short scream. "My parents, my brother and one of my sons died there."

23. On February 3, 2012, men of the terrorist group, Boko Haram, struck early in the morning in Ajaokuta, Kogi State, killing four southerners. A police station and a first generation bank were burnt by the group. In another incident, at least six Igbo were killed in Maiduguri by the same Boko Haram.

24. On August 8, 2012, Boko Haram terrorists attacked a church in Okene, Kogi State with guns killing so many Igbos. On the same day, an IED was discovered in another church in Lokoja, Kogi state which exploded and killed more than 20 Igbo.

25. On Monday 19th March 2013, the whole world woke up to the sad news about the explosion of five luxurious buses by Boko Haram at Sabo-Ngari area in Kano State Nigeria, killing over 250 southerners and maiming several others, mostly Igbos.

26. On Friday May 24, 2013 at about 7:30pm. Kano Police Command Public Relations Officer, ASP Magaji Majiya confirmed to 247ureports.com that unknown gunmen believed to be Boko Haram terrorist group struck the Kurna Asabe area of Kano and shot dead two Igbo business men- a Vulcanizer and an Electronics dealer. Both victims hailed from Nsukka, Enugu State and were identified as Ibe Ugwuanyi, 30 (Vulcanizer) and Eke Osita Joseph, an Electronics dealer, 35.

27. A dark cloud of mourning enveloped the Ezihe-Umueze kindred in Uga community, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, as the people awaited the return of their kinsman, Mr Nnamdi Ezebuala whose three children were killed in the latest Boko Haram bombing incident that occurred on July 29, 2013 in Sabongari, Kano. This very man eventually died from wounds he sustained from the bombs which killed his three children. They were all buried the same day; four of them.

28. On September 2, 2013 gunmen on the rampage swept through three states of Borno, Kaduna and Plateau in Northern Nigeria killing more than 50 Biafrans.

29. On September 3, 2013 more than five Christians were forced from their vehicle in Jos and executed in a ditch in the latest attack by Boko Haram terrorist group. It was reported that these five individuals were executed by the terrorist group after declaring themselves followers of Jesus Christ.

30. Abuja, Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32pm EDT (Reuters) - At least seven southerners were killed by the terrorist group Boko Haram in the capital Abuja .

31. On 28th September 2013, Boko Haram terrorists bombed three banks and killed 4 in Kaduna . Heavily armed Boko Haram terrorist members bombed three commercial banks in Saminaka, headquarters of Lere local government area of Kaduna State and four lives were lost in the attack.

32. Early in 2013, hundreds of people of Igbo extraction were physically deported from Lagos by the Lagos State Governor and dumped at the Niger Bridge-head in Onitsha for no justifiable reason. Which country in the history of the world has ever deported its citizens from one part of the country to another? The only instance that comes to mind is the transportation of Jews by the German SSS to death chambers during the Second World War. The Indigenous People of Biafra has determined that only in the Sovereign State of Biafra will they really be safe and assured of their basic inalienable human rights. Of course, there are those we cannot omit stating in clearer terms:

1. December 18th-20th 1980_ Kano , Kano State_ Islamic Revivalists (Maitatsine group) attacked Christians and burnt churches; over 4,000 Christians were killed and their properties worth millions of naira lost.

2. October 25th-30th 1982_ Kaduna, Kaduna State_ another Maitatsine riot; over 50 Christians estimated dead.

3. October 30th 1982_Kano, Kano State ( Sabon Gari Municipality )_2 Churches burnt to ashes, 6 more destroyed.

4. December 26th-29th 1982_Maiduguri, Borno State, Maitatsine riot: over 100 Christians lost their lives and properties destroyed.
lol cheesy

theFilmtricsay
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by MufasaLion: 9:53pm On Mar 11, 2021
lilflipnerd:
Am a Yoruba Boy, I prefer Igbo girls anyday anytime.. my chioma, Ifeoma, Amaka Chai... All my Crush and future crushes are Igbo

Igbo girls are exceptionally awesome
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 4:52pm On Mar 14, 2021
Thread like this don't promote peace

We are in the 21st century

We southerners dearly loved the Igbo's because they are our brothers.

Please remove this hate thing from your mind

Travel and explore
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 2:31am On Mar 15, 2021
tonychristopher

With this kind of your tribal mentality, Nigeria will never progress.

A person like you can not give unconditional love
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 2:57am On Mar 15, 2021
Chibuhealth

This is my first time coming into this section of nairaland and you have already made me to hate this culture section of nairaland and I wol not come here again. I think you should travel and explore because you look like a person who has never left igboland.

I cannot marry a girl like you because you still have me me me Igbo mentality.

I am a warri born and warri is a diverse society. I was once surrounded by many Igbo girls who were born in warri and I notice the difference.

An Igbo warri girl has this diverse mindset and generally accept and marry from all
An Igbo girl born in the east still has Igbo mentality and not diverse

I know an Igbo lady who came from the east. She plainly told me that she will never marry an Igbo man because she seen the difference. She dated men from the south and notice the difference

Please travel and explore to change your Igbo mindset
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 18, 2021
Lostchild:
Thread like this don't promote peace

We are in the 21st century

We southerners dearly loved the Igbo's because they are our brothers.

Please remove this hate thing from your mind

Travel and explore

thank you! i lived in yorubaland for most of my life as an igbo man and i loved every second of it, we should all learn to appreciate our neigbours cultures and make peace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by MYZOLE: 7:09pm On Mar 18, 2021
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Casham: 8:56am On Mar 19, 2021
I don't believe this. I believe The Hausa is the most hated in Nigeria. Simply because the Hausa language and culture (which is more Semitic) is different from most other languages and cultures in the country (which are Twi/Kwa). I am not Hausa. The Igbos are hardworking. Yes! But they are very loud also. They love extravagance and been superfluous. No tribe is better than any other in Nigeria. I am not saying this to be modest. I have done my studies and I know. I can't write an epistle here to explain that.

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Chibuhealth(f): 6:20am On Apr 02, 2021
Lostchild:
Chibuhealth

This is my first time coming into this section of nairaland and you have already made me to hate this culture section of nairaland and I wol not come here again. I think you should travel and explore because you look like a person who has never left igboland.

I cannot marry a girl like you because you still have me me me Igbo mentality.

I am a warri born and warri is a diverse society. I was once surrounded by many Igbo girls who were born in warri and I notice the difference.

An Igbo warri girl has this diverse mindset and generally accept and marry from all
An Igbo girl born in the east still has Igbo mentality and not diverse

I know an Igbo lady who came from the east. She plainly told me that she will never marry an Igbo man because she seen the difference. She dated men from the south and notice the difference

Please travel and explore to change your Igbo mindset
you are not just okay
Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2021
Chibuhealth:
you are not just okay

Tribalistic people like you is what is making Nigeria a backward nation

I think girls/ladies like you have ugly mentallity

I Puke over you

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2021
MYZOLE
Many Nigerians families are still suffering because of the worship of Idols

At this modern era why are you still promoting idolatry? Dont you see why Nigeria is a backward nation?

Tibalism, Traditions, idol worship has killed the destiny your country Nigeria

Stop promoting tribalism and idolatry

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Gamesmart: 7:59pm On May 20, 2021
Chibuhealth:
When it comes to adaptation, Igbos are the number one tribe, they don't easily give up.they are very clever and hardworking tribe. When it comes to business, Igbos have the humility guiding business than Yorubas who will shout on you and chase you out from his or her shop whenever you didn't meet up with the actual price of his goods. Yorubas and Hausa are mixture of Muslims and Christians but 99% Igbos are Christians, this is one of the main reason why they are being hated by most especially Yorubas and Hausas. According to Chinua Achebe
“I have written in my small book entitled The Trouble with Nigeria that Nigerians will probably achieve consensus on no other matter than their common resentment of the Igbo,” he wrote under the heading, A History of Ethnic Tension and Resentment. He traced the origin of “the national resentment of the Igbo” to its culture that “gave the Igbo man an unquestioned advantage over his compatriots in securing credentials for advancement in Nigerian colonial society.”
He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change, individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.”
He therefore described the Igbo, who are predominantly Catholic, as “fearing no god or man, was “custom-made to grasp the opportunities, such as they were, of the white man’s dispensations. And the Igbo did so with both hands.”
He delved into history with his claim, asserting that the Igbo overcame the earlier Yoruba advantage within two decades earlier in the twentieth century.
“Although the Yoruba had a huge historical and geographical head start, the Igbo wiped out their handicap in one fantastic burst of energy in the twenty years between 1930 and 1950.”
He narrated the earlier advantage of Yoruba as contingent on their location on the coastline, but once the missionaries crossed the Niger, the Igbo took advantage of the opportunity and overtook the Yoruba.
‘The increase was so exponential in such a short time that within three short decades the Igbos had closed the gap and quickly moved ahead as the group with the highest literacy rate, the highest standard of living, and the greatest of citizens with postsecondary education in Nigeria,” he contended.
He said Nigerian leadership should have taken advantage of the gbo talent and this failure was partly responsible for the failure of the Nigerian state, explaining further that competitive individualism and the adventurous spirit of the Igbo was a boon Nigerian leaders failed to recognize and harness for modernization.
“Nigeria’s pathetic attempt to crush these idiosyncrasies rather than celebrate them is one of the fundamental reasons the country has not developed as it should and has emerged as a laughingstock,” he claimed.

When you delude yourself about the cause of a problem, you will never solve the problem.

This is thrash!

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 23, 2021
What do the Igbos call this wooden carving?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / Aminu Ado Bayero: ‘My Appointment Not Meant To Spite Emir Sanusi’ / What Are The Tribes Igbo Have Defeated In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.