Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! (1100 Views)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Afro-centrism: The Most Potent Form Of Self Hate. / Why The Igbos Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by bee444: 7:01pm On Apr 07, 2015
The effect of social media on politics was clearly seen at the just concluded presidential election. The world has gone digital... the availability of technological gadgets in every household made the election even more reachable.

Children as early as 3 can now operate a mobile phone, and some more intellectual ones, a laptop or PC. People of all creed, tribe and beliefs now can express theirselves with just a push of a button. Every word, sentence or expression voiced or typed over these social medias now have governmental scrutiny. Fines and custodial sentences have been handed out to people who exercised their freedom of speech by either lashing out or cursing out their targets.

Govt can only act when the community scream injustice. The govt enjoy this social construct because people can no longer think logically. Only the wise respond judiciously to alleged taunt or threat. The unwise are quick to open their mouth. Uche Jombo falls in this category.

We have three major languages in Nigeria... Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo (Igbo). And all these tribes have in one way or the other have had a fair share of what it is to be a fruitful Nigerian. But then, one out of these tribes often see itself as a minority... a prospective which is still oblivious to the rest 2 and other minority groups.

The Igbos can not and should not in any way equate itself to African-Americans. The Igbos have not in any way been subjected to segregation or were they in any form a slave within a slave colony ( even as we live in a republic). You are what you are in the world.

Even as the presidency rotation has eluded the Igbos for the past decades, they still don't get it. You're and will always be a shadow of yourself. The Biafra mentality still plays a pivotal role in the thinking of this particular tribe. Unless you let go, and embrace One-Nigeria, you will always see yourself as a easy target.

The Yorubas love the Igbos and would live peacefully with other tribes and race. But there are always scepticism about the Yorubas from the Igbos perspective...history tells us the reason why.

People are now becoming social media addicts and wouldn't allow sense of reasoning to do the work, but rather would leave it to some foreign ideas to cloud their judgements.

Too much sentivity on the Oba's comment. You can even crack a joke or call a fat person fat these days without being threatened or barricaded with hate words.

May be I'm not been realistic, but does it seem that the Oba's comment was just a final straw in what seems to be an accumulated grudge against the Yorubas?

I'm neither Igbo nor Yoruba but a true Nigerian.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by podosci(m): 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2015
We blame the Oba for saying openly what we already wish ourselves , we keep hating ourselves for the quarrels of our fathers and grandfathers
when shall we move on and starting having positive problems like how to land the first black man on the moon?
I move a motion for tribe to be removed from our national context, Only origins from the 36 states should be recognised.
Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa should be removed from national recognition.....you can still call your self Igbo or Yoruba BUT it should not be written down on any Document either on the federal or state level
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Yungwhy(m): 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2015
We really don't need all these threads

2 Likes

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Atlantian: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2015
This OP needs mental rehabilitation. Here I am in Lagos, I am NOT Igbo, yet Igbos are the major victims of attacks of the Yorubas. Most times, I am called Omo Igbo, and even when I am not. They just hate Igbos out of Jealousy. From the Governor of Lagos, Fashola to the Oba of Lagos. It just shows that the tribalism and hate is a part of the Agenda of this APC Government.

I ask the Igbos NOT to be cowards or be scared, ofcourse they are not. And I want the Yorubas to know that when people are pushed to the wall, they will react, and when they do, Lagos will be destroyed and the Igbos have a home to return to. Will the Yorubas have a new home to return to ?

This hate at higher level of leadership hierarchy have to STOP.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by dulux07(m): 7:32pm On Apr 07, 2015
Yorubas r closer to igbos than any other tribe, yorubas dont hate n jealous igbos n vice versa, wats der to jealous. Being called omo igbo, is nt an abuse, jst d normal slang it simply means ibo boy, same as the way we call hausas Abokii or malam, does not mean we hate them, wen i was in southsouth i was refer to as yoruba guy, n its no big deal. The only thing yoruba critize igbos r their troblesome attitude n thirst for money, whch does not imply to all ibos. Fashola does not hate igbos, he n okorocha r good friends, it might interest u to know that its an igbo man thatz in charge of lagos state budget, i.e commisioner for economic plannin n budget, which can never happen in ibo land
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 07, 2015
bee444:
The effect of social media on politics was clearly seen at the just concluded presidential election. The world has gone digital... the availability of technological gadgets in every household made the election even more reachable.

Children as early as 3 can now operate a mobile phone, and some more intellectual ones, a laptop or PC. People of all creed, tribe and beliefs now can express theirselves with just a push of a button. Every word, sentence or expression voiced or typed over these social medias now have governmental scrutiny. Fines and custodial sentences have been handed out to people who exercised their freedom of speech by either lashing out or cursing out their targets.

Govt can only act when the community scream injustice. The govt enjoy this social construct because people can no longer think logically. Only the wise respond judiciously to alleged taunt or threat. The unwise are quick to open their mouth. Uche Jombo falls in this category.

We have three major languages in Nigeria... Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo (Igbo). And all these tribes have in one way or the other have had a fair share of what it is to be a fruitful Nigerian. But then, one out of these tribes often see itself as a minority... a prospective which is still oblivious to the rest 2 and other minority groups.

The Igbos can not and should not in any way equate itself to African-Americans. The Igbos have not in any way been subjected to segregation or were they in any form a slave within a slave colony ( even as we live in a republic). You are what you are in the world.

Even as the presidency rotation has eluded the Igbos for the past decades, they still don't get it. You're and will always be a shadow of yourself. The Biafra mentality still plays a pivotal role in the thinking of this particular tribe. Unless you let go, and embrace One-Nigeria, you will always see yourself as a easy target.

The Yorubas love the Igbos and would live peacefully with other tribes and race. But there are always scepticism about the Yorubas from the Igbos perspective...history tells us the reason why.

People are now becoming social media addicts and wouldn't allow sense of reasoning to do the work, but rather would leave it to some foreign ideas to cloud their judgements.

Too much sentivity on the Oba's comment. You can even crack a joke or call a fat person fat these days without being threatened or barricaded with hate words.

May be I'm not been realistic, but does it seem that the Oba's comment was just a final straw in what seems to be an accumulated grudge against the Yorubas?

if u are neither of the two then I don't know just shut up.

1 Like

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by lomprico(m): 8:16pm On Apr 07, 2015
Atlantian:
This OP needs mental rehabilitation. Here I am in Lagos, I am NOT Igbo, yet Igbos are the major victims of attacks of the Yorubas. Most times, I am called Omo Igbo, and even when I am not. They just hate Igbos out of Jealousy. From the Governor of Lagos, Fashola to the Oba of Lagos. It just shows that the tribalism and hate is a part of the Agenda of this APC Government.

I ask the Igbos NOT to be cowards or be scared, ofcourse they are not. And I want the Yorubas to know that when people are pushed to the wall, they will react, and when they do, Lagos will be destroyed and the Igbos have a home to return to. Will the Yorubas have a new home to return to ?

God will definitely bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by lomprico(m): 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2015
dulux07:
Yorubas r closer to igbos than any other tribe, yorubas dont hate n jealous igbos n vice versa, wats der to jealous. Being called omo igbo, is nt an abuse, jst d normal slang it simply means ibo boy, same as the way we call hausas Abokii or malam, does not mean we hate them, wen i was in southsouth i was refer to as yoruba guy, n its no big deal. The only thing yoruba critize igbos r their troblesome attitude n thirst for money, whch does not imply to all ibos. Fashola does not hate igbos, he n okorocha r good friends, it might interest u to know that its an igbo man thatz in charge of lagos state budget, i.e commisioner for economic plannin n budget, which can never happen in ibo land
You hate money abi! Ur oba just shat with his mouth because of d constant egunje he receives from apc politifcians. Igbos are not troublesome because I have never heard any igbo leader in d east threatening any yuropeen for any reason at all.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by absoluteSuccess: 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2015
Atlantian:

Gbam, destroy Lagos and take Igbos to a safety. Yoruba having new home shouldn't be your pain, just destroy Lagos and become 'Igbo Joshua'. In time, Igbo will love your people the way they always love others. grin shame you dont have root.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by lomprico(m): 8:26pm On Apr 07, 2015
bee444:

Dont deny ur tribe ore. Omo yoruba ni o

1 Like

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Atlantian: 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Gbam, destroy Lagos and take Igbos to a save habour. Yoruba having a new home should not be your headache, just destroy Lagos and become 'Igbo Joshua'. In time, Igbo will love your people the same way they always love every other people. grin
Oba Lil Wayne is calling for Genocide, but he forgets that anyone can fire an AK. And when you do, everyone will run. No Yoruba will wait for a bullet to recognize him as 'landlord'. Just know if Lagos boils and is destroyed, there is no home for the yorubas of Lagos, and there will be no more 21st towns for you, all that will be, shall resemble Ibadan, Oshogbo, Okokomaiko, Ogbomosho and the Igbos will have their sophisticated NNwei, Onitsha, Umuahia, Enugu, Owerri, Aba etc. Keep magnifying the hate speech. Even the Oba Lil Wayne cant withdstand skirmishes. Be warned.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by bee444: 8:44pm On Apr 07, 2015
Atlantian:

You're just part of the problem. Give me evidence or instances when Igbos get attacked by the Yorubas. You are inciting hatred. Like I said in the post, Igbos are not the real victims here, but often make it to seem so.

Yorubas are liberal. Every tribe call one another names ( a norm accepted by every Nigerians). Lagos can not be destroyed by touts like you and neither is anyone bothered by your comments.

Nigeria can not be held ransom, and does not owe anyone or group a special favour. The quciker the Igbos embrace Nigeria as one nation, the better for everyone.

Ranting over social media cannot eradicate the deep hatred that's been perpectuated by our forefathers against one another.

We need new set of ideals. A new Nigeria void of tribe or region. A common goal to salvage Nigeria from its current self.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by absoluteSuccess: 8:49pm On Apr 07, 2015
Atlantian:
Oba Lil Wayne is calling for Genocide, but he forgets that anyone can fire an AK. And when you do, everyone will run. No Yoruba will wait for a bullet to recognize him as 'landlord'. Just know if Lagos boils and is destroyed, there is no home for the yorubas of Lagos, and there will be no more 21st towns for you, all that will be, shall resemble Ibadan, Oshogbo, Okokomaiko, Ogbomosho and the Igbos will have their sophisticated NNwei, Onitsha, Umuahia, Enugu, Owerri, Aba etc . Keep magnifying the hate speech. Even the Oba Lil Wayne cant withdstand skirmishes. Be warned.
What will your own people have then? They will become 'self offered' Igbo slaves. Now that you have had another 'opium' to justify your tireless need to hear wrong words to go berseck and engage Yoruba, you are weak if you fail to do the worst that you are capable of to Yoruba or Lil Wayne. Do your worst, don't warn anybody here.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Atlantian: 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2015
bee444:

You're just part of the problem. Give me evidence or instances when Igbos get attacked by the Yorubas. You are inciting hatred. Like I said in the post, Igbos are not the real victims here, but often make it to seem so.

Yorubas are liberal. Every tribe call one another names ( a norm accepted by every Nigerians). Lagos can not be destroyed by touts like you and neither is anyone bothered by your comments.

Nigeria can not be held ransom, and does not owe anyone or group a special favour. The quciker the Igbos embrace Nigeria as one nation, the better for everyone.

Ranting over social media cannot eradicate the deep hatred that's been perpectuated by our forefathers against one another.

We need new set of ideals. A new Nigeria void of tribe or region. A common goal to salvage Nigeria from its current self.
One Nation ? And Fashola deports while Lil wayne Akiola threatens death ? You and your leaders are hypocrites.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by lomprico(m): 9:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
U
bee444:

You just watched ur oba verbally attack n threaten the igbos. What proof r u seeking again?

1 Like

Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by absoluteSuccess: 9:02pm On Apr 07, 2015
Atlantian:
One Nation ? And Fashola deports while Lil wayne Akiola threatens death ? You and your leaders are hypocrites.
Go and read America declaration of independence, create a bolton tea party and pull out of the country. You lack ability to be independent if you cannot surmont this man-made obstacle to freedom. Try till you make it or hate if it fails. No one deny you of anything, go for what you want.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by absoluteSuccess: 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2015
lomprico:
U
You just watched ur oba verbally attack n threaten the igbos. What proof r u seeking again?
If his alleged outburst is condemned by Yoruba leaders in strong terms and the man disown the statement, be magnanimous to let go, or have you been rehearsing confrontations since forever?
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by bee444: 9:26pm On Apr 07, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
If his alleged outburst is condemned by Yoruba leaders in strong terms and the man disown the statement, be magnanimous to let go, or have you been rehearsing confrontations since forever?

My post suggested your opinion sir. Oba's choice of words were too insensitive and too detestable a joke. However, there has been personal attack on the part of some bitter Igbos whose grudge against the Obas tribe just up by 110%.

We should all trade softly and come in terms that our neighbours are still Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos. Lets not start what our forefathers couldn't finish, but instead channel those strength into rebuilding this nation once and for all.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by bee444: 9:37pm On Apr 07, 2015
lomprico:
U

This just sum everything up. Whose Oba? He is the Oba of Lagos, not the Oba of Yoruba. Lagos is a multi-diverse city and the Oba is a leader of everyone that residence there.

You should learn how to live peacefully with everyone. Everyone has got an opinion,and we shouldn't be miopic or opinionated about other people's comment. We argue either to agree or disagree but not to label.

The Oba is one person. His opinion has been voiced but his message rejected by everyone, including his tribe's men and those closer to him.
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by absoluteSuccess: 9:51pm On Apr 07, 2015
bee444:

My post suggested your opinion sir. Oba's choice of words were too insensitive and too detestable a joke. However, there has been personal attack on the part of some bitter Igbos whose grudge against the Obas tribe just up by 110%.

We should all trade softly and come in terms that our neighbours are still Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos. Lets not start what our forefathers couldn't finish, but instead channel those strength into rebuilding this nation once and for all.
That's the kind of joke you make and loose appetite the very moment it's quoted. We should not get carried away by the power we weid in communal settings. Sometimes we do goofed. Have you ever been heard, against your wish?
Re: Are The Igbos Too Sensitive Or A Shadow Of Self? Opinion! by Surd2121(m): 11:30pm On Apr 09, 2015
Op is making sense

(1) (Reply)

See The Oracle I Saw Around Agege Today / Igbo, The Most Brilliant African Race- U.S Academic Report / When Esama Of Benin, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion Disrespected Oba Of Benin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.