Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,360 members, 7,860,965 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:58 PM

Response To The Oba Of Lagos Lagoon Invitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Response To The Oba Of Lagos Lagoon Invitation (339 Views)

Buhari Visits Eheneden Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin (Photos) / I Want To Die In The Lagoon Shirts Now Trending In Lagos / Caption This Photo Of Fashola And Tinubu Staring At The Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Response To The Oba Of Lagos Lagoon Invitation by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 08, 2015
It has been quite a scandal: the Oba of Lagos lagoon invitation to Igbos. I had to wait until I saw the video so as to better understand the context in which it was spoken. I respect traditional institutions but I believe the Oba erred in his declaration. There is freedom of political association for all Nigerian citizens and certainly not every indigenous Lagosian have actually benefited from APC 16years rule. He should have been less partisan like the Ijebu monarch who told President Jonathan that kings don't campaign for a particular party. The Oba forgot it's the ordinary citizens who form large percentage of the voting population.

It's not a wrong argument to say Lagos is home for all. Without the Igbos, Hausas and all the other tribes, Lagos would never have reached it's position as New York of Nigeria today. Infact virtually every tribe in Nigeria is represented in Lagos (over 200tribes). I expect tolerance to be a highly sought virtue especially among the indigenous Yorubas. Some supporters of the Oba have been arguing that the Igbos are dominating the metropolis taking the shine from them Yorubas. I think that argument is unnecessary. You can't blame the Igbos for being industrious.

However I did agree on the claim that Igbos are easily accepted in other places but they themselves don't give such room to other tribes in Iboland. This is very bad and really inimical to national unity. They should learn to also accept other tribes to do business and thrive in their communities in the South-east. They should stop frustrating efforts of other tribes to integrate with them in the East. It's really sad development but an obvious reality. Igbos have multiple businesses and are self-made in many towns and cities in all parts of Nigeria. They should reciprocate same hospitality to other tribes in their domain. Charity begins at home.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ambode Certain For Victory As He Takes Early Lead In Lagos State / Ribadu Concedes Defeat To Apc’s Bindow In Adamawa / Nigerians Expect A Lot From You, Obasanjo Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.