Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development (1792 Views)

European Parliament Votes To End Visa Free Travel For US Citizens / 5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas / What Are The Importance Of Tourism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 12:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
If you have traveled heavily, you have probably tried to convey the extent of your travels by condensing it down to a single number. It might be the number of countries you’ve visited or the number of states or provinces in your country you have been to.
Answering the question “how many countries have you been to?” is not as straight forwards as it may appear. While many places are obvious, the definition can sometimes be slippery and broader than you might think.

The Importance of Travel for Personal Development are below

- Without Travel, You Can’t Really Know The Place You’re From

If you’ve not been fortunate to travel, this may sound a little strange. How can travel help me know the place I’m from? That’s the question I asked a few years ago when I was told this would be the case. The reply I got was: ‘you’ll see’. Well, now I see.
I’ve realised that we all – to a certain degree - take things for granted. Some of the things include food, electricity, transport, heating and safety. Going to a country where these basics are not always available is a real eye opener.

- Travel Helps Us Let Go of False Beliefs

A ‘belief’ is something we consider as ‘true’. To me, for something to be ‘true’ means it’s a reflection of reality.
Then the question is: how can we be sure if something is a reflection of reality?
Simple: personal experience

If you take a moment to think about the things you believe about, let’s say, Japan. The fact is that unless you’ve been to Japan, all of your beliefs were formed through what you’ve heard from a person, or a form of media. You can’t be sure if what you hear is true, nor can you be sure that you’ll hold the same opinion as your sources.

- Travel Helps Us Know Ourselves Better

I travelled to Spain last summer with the intention of improving my Spanish. I expected to learn a lot about the language, but to my surprise, I learnt more about myself. Most people live life caught up in a routine, and this can make it difficult to find time for reflection.
As an individual dedicated to becoming the best version of myself, it’s essential for me to step back to look at myself so that I can evaluate my strengths and weaknesses.

Although it’s not the only answer, (or the cheapest) again, travel can help.

- Learning New Cultures

Travel is so important you will discover the new things. You will meet the people of the different culture. It's called the sharing of the culture and it will help in the broaden your mind and vision.

- Food

One of the most advantage of travelling more is the discovery of new cuisine.If you like the food you will ask the Chef. hey how you made this thing? then you will ask the recipe of that amazing Item. This thing is definitely gonna help in your menu. Without travelling this looks quite Impossible.

- Refresh Yourself

You don't get bored from the daily life ? Sometimes you think that's the limit you can't take anymore. if you are getting this kind of felling you need to take a break. Refresh your mind. Go somewhere you don't know. You will regain your energy by this. Leave your cellphone at home. Just take your camera and start to discover new things.

- Face Your Fear

Face the fear. You afraid from water, go for river rafting, go for underwater diving. You afraid from Heights Do bungee Jumping , Sky dive. Giant Swing. Try any of this . you will see the thing like Fear is doesn't exist in your world. I was afraid from height. when all of my friends decided to do bungee. I agreed when they called me for the jump. One of the crew member pushed me. 8 seconds in air. That 8 seconds killed the my fear. Best 8 seconds of my life.

- Memories

Travelling will help you make some beautiful memories. Showing your grandchildren some old photograph brings out the memory of the place which make it look as if it just happened yesterday.

- Waste Some Money

Yeah you read it right. Waste some money. Go to the palaces which you have dream about . You are planing to buy car with big cost. leave it buy a car with less cost. invest this money on travelling. learn new things, learn new languages,fall in love with yourself, don't wait in your life do it now. Complete your crazy dreams. Nobody is gonna ask you after 30 years what car you had in the past, how much money you have invested in the daughter's ,son's wedding. The only thing you will have after 30 years is memories. So waste some money on travelling.

I have been to 8 countries and still counting.I enjoy nature and photography die.

How many countries have you been to?
If you haven't traveled outside of Nigeria, how many states have been to?

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by samuelkingz(m): 1:41pm On Apr 08, 2015
real talk sir....i love to go d world round and am making plans towards dat..although still a student...FTC...yepee ;Dreal talk sir....i love to go d world round and am making plans towards dat..although still a student...FTC...yepee
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
samuelkingz:
real talk sir....i love to go d world round and am making plans towards dat..although still a student...FTC...yepee ;Dreal talk sir....i love to go d world round and am making plans towards dat..although still a student...FTC...yepee

Have you been outside Nigeria before or outside your state of origin? if yes, how many?
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by samuelkingz(m): 9:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
outside nigeria,no...but planning a trip to ghana by d year end...within nigeria yes...frm anambra state but i hav been to enugu,ogun state,benin city,akwa ibom,ibadan,and abuja...dese re jst d few cities i hav visited....any travel advise for me..?and lest i forget..am born and bred in lagos.
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by ttmacoy: 4:30am On Apr 09, 2015
Nice points. It's important to be open minded when travelling to experience the points you made.

I see many Nigerians who travel for economic reasons try to stick to the Nigerian way and things and miss the opportunity to experience new ways which can help shape you and develop you.

Example is not trying new foods and always looking for Nigerian restaurants wherever you go

Anyway lovely points and enjoy your travelling. I am an ardent traveller myself and always make a point of trying things locally like food and culture.
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by maryapple: 6:33am On Apr 09, 2015
We often feel lost and useless. However, travelling saturates our soul. Life is ‘hard thing’ where ‘the strongest people will survive’! But I think that it gives us the stimulus to develop ourselves further! We ‘cannot afford this luxury’ to sit without work or complain of this life! Yes, we have many difficulties, but it’s the essence of our life! We must be in a whirl, in a different way, we’ll lose the purport of life! I also found optimum taxi alternative for me - this site http://kiwitaxi.com/Turkey/Antalya+Airport where everyone can use service of this company, as I! I assure you that, exactly here, we’ll find the full equivalence of perfect service and democratic prices! Recommend everybody! =)
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 09, 2015
I like this write up so much...
But the waste some money just makes me feel bad cry
I will imagine it to be spend so money @ least it will encourage me
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 9:03am On Apr 09, 2015
favoured234:
I like this write up so much...
But the waste some money just makes me feel bad cry
I will imagine it to be spend so money @ least it will encourage me

Why buying expensive car when you can at the same time afford moderate car?
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 09, 2015
helinues:

Why buying expensive car when you can at the same time afford moderate car?

What I meant is spend some money and not waste some money...
Since travelling seems a better option than buying an expensive car then we should see the expensive car as waste some money and travelling as spend some money
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 9:41am On Apr 09, 2015
favoured234:

What I meant is spend some money and not waste some money...
Since travelling seems a better option than buying an expensive car then we should see the expensive car as waste some money and travelling as spend some money

Waste money means sacrifice your money to learn more about this world by travel outside your world.
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 09, 2015
helinues:

Waste money means sacrifice your money to learn more about this world by travel outside your world.

Waste means to squander, reckless spending.... If it is spent on something very important like travelling to learn then it should not be called waste.. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 9:49am On Apr 09, 2015
favoured234:

Waste means to squander, reckless spending.... If it is spent on something very important like travelling to learn then it should not be called waste.. What do you think?

Try to understand how "waste" was used on the post..
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 09, 2015
helinues:

Try to understand how "waste" was used on the post..

Maybe its something about me but the waste just seem so inappropriate... Maybe with time I will convince myself....
You know what: maybe my brain is wired to understand things differently

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by helinues: 10:02am On Apr 09, 2015
favoured234:

Maybe its something about me but the waste just seem so inappropriate... Maybe with time I will convince myself....
You know what: maybe my brain is wired to understand things differently

If you’ve not been fortunate to travel, this may sound a little strange. How can travel help me know the place I’m from? That’s the question I asked a few years ago when I was told this would be the case. The reply I got was: ‘you’ll see’. Well, now I see.
I’ve realised that we all – to a certain degree - take things for granted. Some of the things include food, electricity, transport, heating and safety. Going to a country where these basics are not always available is a real eye opener

I guess you missed this
Re: The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 09, 2015
helinues:

I guess you missed this
I missed nothing at all. I told you my head interpret things the way it understands it

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free / Steps To Secure India Visa From Nigeria....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.