Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? (5200 Views)

Photos Of Air Force Helicopters Providing Cover Over Abuja-Kaduna Highway / Why Do Most Nigerians Equate Igbo Trade Domination To Political Dominance? / If Nigeria Is Broke, Why Does Government Live Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 11:12pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
Hmmm
coldroom
imported fish
price is uniform
can be passed on to consumers
not talking about this kind of business

more along the lines of textile,food processing etc
heavy industry
not importation dependent biz
hey I would like to chat about cold room biz on whatsapp 07031133998
lol....its not a coldroom for imported fish.......foodprocessing is more like it
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 11:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
lol....its not a coldroom for imported fish.......foodprocessing is more like it
what kinda food process
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 11:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
what kinda food process
It's a dairy product(sorry im coding things...there's a reason for that)
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 11:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
It's a dairy product(sorry im coding things...there's a reason for that)
no wahala o think i hv idea what ur saying.but do we produce enough milk for dairy industry
i heard we're even importing beef cows sef
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by dafuturis(m): 12:14am On Apr 10, 2015
Op, I want to know what you ate before writing this article.

Rat pepper soup or were you just sprayed insecticide?
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:47am On Apr 10, 2015
dafuturis:
Op, I want to know what you ate before writing this article.

Rat pepper soup or were you just sprayed insecticide?

sorry, the article is not meant for rat enthusiasts
look for the bushmeat section in Nairaland, you'll find company there

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by emiye(m): 12:43pm On Apr 10, 2015
anonimi:

That is why SENSIBLE countries impose stiff tariff regimes to discourage imports thus enhancing the national competitive environment to grow the industries, innovation, revenue and employment.
China, India, South Korea etc did it.

Any individual/society who cannot SACRIFICE meaningfully cannot develop.
QED!!!

Abi na where the cheap imports want lead us to
I av no problem with imposing stiffer tariff regimes, but I have a problem with putting the cart before the horse. if you get in to your house to meet your house flooded due to a running tap you left open by a fault of yours, common sense tells me before you start draining and mopping the water, you put off the tap. only a fool will be mopping the water, while the tap is still left open.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by emiye(m): 12:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
esere826:

now you're almost sounding like a pleasant and sensible fellow wink
keep it up and you'd be dinning with diplomats not riffraffs (except u like our brand of politics)

But the punishment for your previous misyarn is that I won't tackle this post for now. maybe another time tongue
. I have no doubt ur understanding is naive, and u will do well not to try and front grasp of d situation at hand. Nigeria is filled with many of people who think big and very fanciful ideas are solutions to our many problems. I am an advocate of common sense solutions which does not necessary come from PhD holders with multiple degrees.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by An0nimus: 1:11am On Apr 20, 2015
frontpage?

cc: ishilove
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Gbawe: 1:50am On Apr 20, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Perhaps simpler is better. Your attempt to discredit a generally held belief by smuggling into the discourse a far-fetched premise of cost of running 'flexible' power is intellectually dishonest. Why would 'inflexible' power be more expensive per unit of scale? It is an economic aberration!

The question we should answer is, 'would fixing power create more employment given the status quo?' Well, the answer is 'yes'!

Nobody is saying the use of a resource like power could not be optimised with better policies, so what exactly is the point you are making!

Projecting a veneer of sophistication with esoteric economic assumptions is practically useless! People on the streets are much smarter than your condescending attitude suggests.

Kindest regards

Best response here for the pompous yet highly ignorant OP. I could only shake my head reading the imbelic argument of him and other empty barrels delivered with condescending pretentions to erudition whereas all they have succeeded to do is show that the only thing more pathetic than an ignorant person is an ignorant person who thinks his obviously limited useful knowledge and cretinous grasp of issues imakes his non-argument intellectually superior to the contribution of others. Nigerians are prone to doing this and it is frankly annoying. Predictable behaviour from citizens of a nation where many are obsessed with pretending to be what they are not. Very common then to find ignoramuses coming here to indulge their 'Professor' fantasy while hosting fhe temerity to speak down at others whose intellect is about a millenia ahead of theirs.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by AhmedMustapha(m): 5:57am On Apr 20, 2015
esere826:

Op I disagree with your belief that the government providing stable electricity to the citizenry will not go a long way to solving the problem of unemployment in the country
1. When such a time comes and with a sincere government in place, the cost of running generators or other alternative sources will be in no way cheaper than the bills you will be charged by the distribution companies. With meters in place your charges will be commensurate with the actual amount of power used.
2. Looking critically at the Manufacturing sector, stable electricity will go a long way in reducing the cost of production enabling more hands to be employed in the process. You may argue that the high cost of production involved with the inconstancy of power doesn't change anything as all you need to do is raise prices then profit is made. Remember if the cost of manufacturing an automobile is N300 in the country as a result of the erratic power supply leading to high cost of production but the same product goes for N250 when imported from China, we can both guess where consumers will likely purchase the product from.
You may say government should stiffen import laws to discourage import of the said product but you forget that government requires revenue for smooth running and any progressive government will encourage exports to raise foreign exchange thereby boosting the economy, how can the said manufacturing company in Nigeria export and make profits when it's counterparts in China offer the same product at lower cost. This disparity occasioned by the unstable nature of power in the country will shut the Nigerian company out of business leading to loss of jobs and other negatives. I'm expecting your reply but there is no truth in your assertion that the stability of power in the country will have little or no effect on the rate of unemployment
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 11:34am On Apr 20, 2015
AhmedMustapha:

Op I disagree with your belief that the government providing stable electricity to the citizenry will not go a long way to solving the problem of unemployment in the country
1. When such a time comes and with a sincere government in place, the cost of running generators or other alternative sources will be in no way cheaper than the bills you will be charged by the distribution companies. With meters in place your charges will be commensurate with the actual amount of power used.
2. Looking critically at the Manufacturing sector, stable electricity will go a long way in reducing the cost of production enabling more hands to be employed in the process. You may argue that the high cost of production involved with the inconstancy of power doesn't change anything as all you need to do is raise prices then profit is made. Remember if the cost of manufacturing an automobile is N300 in the country as a result of the erratic power supply leading to high cost of production but the same product goes for N250 when imported from China, we can both guess where consumers will likely purchase the product from.
You may say government should stiffen import laws to discourage import of the said product but you forget that government requires revenue for smooth running and any progressive government will encourage exports to raise foreign exchange thereby boosting the economy, how can the said manufacturing company in Nigeria export and make profits when it's counterparts in China offer the same product at lower cost. This disparity occasioned by the unstable nature of power in the country will shut the Nigerian company out of business leading to loss of jobs and other negatives. I'm expecting your reply but there is no truth in your assertion that the stability of power in the country will have little or no effect on the rate of unemployment

Interestingly, at first glance, I think I agree with everything you wrote
You reasoning is very sound.

The original post is meant to promote elucidated discuss like you've provided on factors that can link job creation to power consumption and other policies
and to dispel the common misconception that 24hr electricity automatically equates to job creation on the scale that Nigeria would need
It's almost designed like common entrance exams that tests for verbal and logical reasoning aptitude.

All Hakim's I've met are tall does not mean that every tall person is called Hakim

cheesy I've had a laugh reviewing some of the comments made here
some subtly seem to be more concerned in mentally simplifying the discuss to me being anti APC, or anti tribe, or anti-common man
OR me feeling like a smart fellow grin
and their reaction to their inabilities is to reach out for their local and international dictionaries and look for all insults they can muster
But I digress

Kudos to you, but at this point, I believe you must be smiling to yourself now and thinking actually esere826 did not say that
"the stability of power in the country will have little or no effect on the rate of unemployment"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Releases Face Of Soldier Used By APC To Rig Election In Ogoni,Rivers(photos) / Man Sentenced To Death For Farting In Mosque / The Origin Of The Name, BIAFRA.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.