Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up (888 Views)

Biafria: Igbo Lawyer Rubbishes Nnamdi Kanu, Exposes His Scam / Wife In Kitchen Remarks: Buhari Only Joking – Aide / "Buhari Was Joking About Aisha Belonging To His Kitchen Comment" - Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by justjify(m): 11:14am On Apr 10, 2015
A Lagos-based lawyer and industrialist, Mr Chukwudi Atueyi, who was one of those who participated in the meeting between Igbo leaders and Oba of Lagos state, Rilwan Akiolu has explained what really happened.

Speaking to Vanguard, Chukwudi said the Oba was only joking when he made the threat to Igbos living in Lagos.
Oba Akiolu’s statement has generated a lot of controversies. He had threatened Igbo residents in the mega city to vote Akinwumi Ambode, All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the upcoming governorship elections this Saturday or risk being thrown in the Lagos lagoon.

According to him, none of the persons present at the meeting took offense when the Oba made the statement as it was not directed at the whole Igbos in Lagos but jocularly to his Igbo friends that visited him.
He said: “cAll the Eze Ndi Igbo honorary in Lagos went to pay HRM solidarity visit on Sunday and I was fortunate to be among those present at the said meeting. What the Oba said was fully and simply directed to only the Igbos present at the meeting who his majesty considers to be very close to him and should understand him well enough.

“You know when one talks to his very close friends and subjects, he tends to be very free with them, so he was being very free with those present at the meeting and wanted us to realize how serious and close he takes us and our votes, because he cannot imagine us giving him our words only to turn back and do the very opposite.
“He did not force us to the meeting, we were the ones that went to him on solidarity visit, so it would be very evil of us to only go and deceive him there. He only jokingly (at least as it appeared to me then) warned the people present at the meeting who he considers his own people.
“He was only addressing the Igbos with him present there whom he considers his own people and he simply observed his culture which we all quite understood and this explains why there was applause and laughter at the end of his speech. We were expected to, thereafter, talk to our people in civilized manner to convince them and canvass for their votes if we truly believe we are capable of doing so.

He explained that though the Oba appeared serious, those present at the meeting understood he was joking and that is why they applauded him and made fun of it there.
“So I suspect serious politics at play here. I wouldn’t know who recorded the speech and decided to play politics with it. It is most unfair to his majesty to be portrayed in this manner and I think I owe it as a duty to speak up before things get out of hand.’’
Oba Akiolu’s threat to the Igbos in Lagos has been a hot topic of discussion. Some Nigerians have lashed out at him, others have defended him and some others have begged for forgiveness on his behalf.
Some of the Igbos in Lagos in reaction to the Oba’s recent threat, have promised not to vote for Ambode in the forthcoming Saturday election, daring Akiolu to go ahead with his threat.
Yoruba monarchs have begged Igbo residents in Lagos to forgive Oba Akiolu.

Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by DaBullIT(m): 11:16am On Apr 10, 2015
Thank you for Emphasizing that, I hope people in PDP using this incident as their propaganda will catch a clue

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by kodded(m): 11:19am On Apr 10, 2015
Some igbo men can sell their birthright for money ...... Smh
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by bamidele029: 11:20am On Apr 10, 2015
Can you guys see, people should always be slow to anger , instead try and find out the truth. Anyway the thrush has come out now
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by megawax8: 11:21am On Apr 10, 2015
This at least makes sense

But sir, why did you not speak up since
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by Klasique911(m): 11:22am On Apr 10, 2015
LMAO

Oba now turns COMEDIAN
The gods are soaking his whip in kerosene grin
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by fr3do(m): 11:24am On Apr 10, 2015
grin
Oba, this your joke expensive.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by justjify(m): 11:26am On Apr 10, 2015
Klasique911:
LMAO

Oba now turns COMEDIAN
The gods are soaking his whip in kerosene grin

cheesy guy you must be an errand boy for the gods grin
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by Iype(m): 11:35am On Apr 10, 2015
Just here to read comments
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by Basildvalour(m): 11:45am On Apr 10, 2015
Mtcheeew! Joking Monarch grin
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by xmich(m): 12:05pm On Apr 10, 2015
I hear you sir,
As far as an concern threat is threat whether it was made jokingly or seriously,
Ebe a n' ama njakiri ka eziokwu n' abuta ihe.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Was Only Joking: Igbo Lawyer Opens Up by littlemistress: 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2015
am I the only one that thinks this is a form of last-minute effort to salvage the situation?
why is the lawyer just coming out to say something?

as long as I'm concerned, this is a mere plot to save the oba's face. be it as it may, the oba was wrong to have threatened his 'visitors'.

nobody has monopoly of everything.

(1) (Reply)

Why Has Ezekwezili Not Denounce Time Magazine's List Of 100 Influential Persons / Rossiki : How To Fight Christians And Their Doctrines In Nigeria ! / APC Approaching PDP Senior Members With Phantom Promises, Threats; PDP Alleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.