Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. (3089 Views)

Our Children Are Turning Into Prostitutes, We Are Suffering, Tell PMB -Lagosian / I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu / We Yorubas Must Stop Claiming To All Be Lagosian, Let's Develop Our States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 12:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
Lagos as it is known was the former capital of Nigeria and as such a lot were invested in making it what it is by the federal government,using the commonwealth of Nigeria and largerly revenues from the Niger-Delta states.These states includes Delta,Rivers,Cross-Rivers,Bayelsa,Akwa-Ibom,Edo,Abia,Imo,Ondo.
However,the capital statue has long been shifted to Abuja but yet many Nigerians still see it as home and home it is.Back to the topic,who is a Lagosian.A Lagosian,is any Nigerian who is born or lives in Lagos,pays his taxes as at when due,has a meaningful source of income,obeys constituted authorities and contributes to the development of Lagos,regardless of what part of Nigeria he or she is from.
Then this brings to mind the question,who is a true indigene of Lagos, in 'Nigerian context'?In Nigerian context an indigene of Lagos is not a man who was born in Lagos but a man whose father is originally a native of that area,whose origin can be traced to Lagos or as its called in local parlance,'a son of the soil'.So going by this description,you will find out that most people that shout on top of their voices claiming Lagos,are not even from Lagos.
For example,Bola Tinubu a former governor of Lagos is from Iragbiji in Osun State,Akin Ambode presently contesting for Lagos state governorship is from Ilaje in Ondo State.This clearly means that both are not indigenes of Lagos,just like most other people in Lagos eg Hausas,Igbos,Urhobos,Fulanis etc
A true indigene of lagos is the PDP contestant Jimi Agbaje who is from Ikorodu in Lagos state and this explains why he seems to be more popular with the common man in the street and most indigenous Lagosians.
In many quarters,there is call for a true indigene of Lagos to rule Lagos state as it is obtainable in other states.
God Bless Nigeria.
Lagosians must vote wisely
A true indigene deserves to govern Lagos this time around.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2015
So ambode is not even from lagos, so is his godfather.
Bastards!!!

#team JK

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Olaolufred(m): 1:13pm On Apr 10, 2015
[size=14pt]CALABAR- BEING THE FIRST CAPITAL OF NIGERIAN STATE,

CAN ALSO BE CALLED A NO-MAN'S-LAND.

SINCE SOME NIGERIA'S WEALTH MUST HAVE BEEN SPENT THEN IN DEVELOPING IT.

I BELIEVE THE LOGIC MUST BE FAIR TO ALL.
[/size]

10 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Olaolufred(m): 1:16pm On Apr 10, 2015
Dharniel:
So ambode is not even from lagos, so is his godfather.
Bastards!!!

#team JK

Calling someone a bastard is just an opinion.
It really does not mean that the one who made such assertion is not one.

3 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by dealslip(f): 1:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
Lagos' real name is Eko. Lagos is the name given by the Portugese merchants. I think it means water. The natives of Lagos are Aworis who can also be found in the Yewa region of Ogun State, Eguns of Badagry which spreads into areas like Benin Republic and Togo, and Ijebus in Ikorodu and Epe which also spreads into Ogun state. Eyo, Oro, Igunuko are the traditional masquredes of Lagos. Its proximity to water is what makes it a commercial nerve centre even before the almagamation exercise. Portugese merchants have been trading in the city as far back as 16 century just like Chinese. And Indians are doing. The fact that they coin a name for it for their own convenience does not change the fact that it is another mans land. It has Obas and Baale in all the strong towns from Isolo to Mushin to Ojo to Badagry to Ikorodu to Apapa to Ajah and they are all Yorubas. A Lagosian is born and bred in Lagos. Omo Eko is an indigene. The adage Eko oni Baje o has a real meaning. Lagos with its heritage is been destroyed daily by people who don't even understand the city other than the treasures they can get from it. I am married to an Agarawu man in Isale Eko. My children are indigenes of Lagos. I know better what it means when people say you are from a no man's land.

5 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
Olaolufred:

Calling someone a bastard is just an opinion.
It really does not mean that the one who made such assertion is not one.

No, i'm not. Me saying "bastards" doesn't mean i meant it literally.
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Olaolufred(m): 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2015
Dharniel:

No, i'm not. Me saying "bastards" doesn't mean i meant it literally.

Good to note your good disposition.
However, it is of no use saying what you don't mean.
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 10, 2015
Olaolufred:

Good to note your good disposition.
However, it is of no use saying what you don't mean.

you should translate it in the context, then you would have a perfect idea of what i mean...
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by eazisky(m): 1:33pm On Apr 10, 2015
OP, u dont need to tell ur tribe b4 i knw y u are bias, u said things u dnt even knw, things u are nt sure of, who told u lagos was developed with south-south oil money? Has oil being discovered in south-south at dat time when lagos FTC? Its a pity when u claim lagos is ur city while enugu, anambra, abia, imo etc are villages, can a sane man come to ur village and claim it is a no man's land and as a result of jealousy, u want to destroy it, why are the streets, cities of lagos named after yoruba great ppl and slangs? y nt in igbo? y cnt u develope ur own state and leave lagos alone? mr. MARIO!!!

5 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2015
dealslip:
Lagos' real name is Eko. Lagos is the name given by the Portugese merchants. I think it means water. The natives of Lagos are Aworis who can also be found in the Yewa region of Ogun State, Eguns of Badagry which spreads into areas like Benin Republic and Togo, and Ijebus in Ikorodu and Epe which also spreads into Ogun state. Eyo, Oro, Igunuko are the traditional
masquredes of Lagos.
So by your logic,since indigenous Igbos are found in some part of rivers state and some part of Delta,it is right for me to govern Rivers or Delta,since i happen to be an Igbo from Anambra state....Tinubu is not from Lagos neither is Ambode from Lagos,no justification whatever!stop making silly excuses for them.

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 1:48pm On Apr 10, 2015
eazisky:
OP, u dont need to tell ur tribe b4 i knw y u are bias, u said things u dnt even knw, things u are nt sure of, who told u lagos was developed with south-south oil money?
the last time i checked oil drilling started in the late 1950's and more the reason why Nigeria never wanted the old Eastern Nigerian to break away during the Biafra war.Lagos was still the capital of Nigeria till the late 1980s when Gen.IBB moved it to Abuja.The only thing Cocoa did for the Yorubas was the free education Awolowo gave in his days.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by dealslip(f): 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

So by your logic,since indigenous Igbos are found in some part of rivers state and some part of Delta,it is right for me to govern Rivers or Delta,since i happen to be an Igbo from Anambra state....Tinubu is not from Lagos neither is Ambode from Lagos,no justification whatever!stop making silly excuses for them.

Your points are not articulate. I gave some information in my post and there are no conflicts. There are Ijaws in Bayelsa state and Delta State and it is true. If you can trace your village and LGA in PH why can't you govern Rivers. Chibuike sounds Igbo to me. Ebele is definately Ibo. Tinubu's mother is from Osun. As a staff of Abibat Mogaji, she was impregnated by one of the Tinubu patriachs and was a well guarded secret because of the status of the Patriach. Stop looking for non existing holes in the history of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by eazisky(m): 1:53pm On Apr 10, 2015
U'r still nt sure of what u are saying, have u forgotten that there was a certain time when that cocoa and groundnut was the main source of Nigeria income as a result of xportation? mr. Mario

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by MugabeRobert: 1:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

the last time i checked oil drilling started in the late 1950's and more the reason why Nigeria never wanted the old Eastern Nigerian to break away during the Biafra war.Lagos was still the capital of Nigeria till the late 1980s when Gen.IBB moved it to Abuja.The only thing Cocoa did for the Yorubas was the free education Awolowo gave in his days.

Another self hating, deluded igbo loon on the prowl. Why don't you start by googling Lagos of 1920s?

Why the fixation on Lagos? Are you idiots not of even ashame of yourselves? Keep fooling yourself.

3 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by eazisky(m): 1:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
eazisky:
U'r still nt sure of what u are saying, have u forgotten that there was a certain time when that cocoa and groundnut was the main source of Nigeria income as a result of xportation? mr. Mario
AustineE1:

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by MugabeRobert: 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
dealslip:

Your points are not articulate. I gave some information in my post and there are no conflicts. There are Ijaws in Bayelsa state and Delta State and it is true. If you can trace your village and LGA in PH why can't you govern Rivers. Chibuike sounds Igbo to me. Ebele is definately Ibo. Tinubu's mother is from Osun. As a staff of Abibat Mogaji, she was impregnated by one of the Tinubu patriachs and was a well guarded secret because of the status of the Patriach. Stop looking for non existing holes in the history of Lagos.

They are all foolish and will surely repeat their past.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 2:09pm On Apr 10, 2015
eazisky:
and your history teacher didnt tell you that palm kernel and coal from the East were key sources of income in Nigeria back then,or is this another case of selective amnesia.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by dealslip(f): 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2015
MugabeRobert:

They are all foolish and will surely repeat their past.

I really do not understand what he is after. Since he insists on believing a lie, there is not much I can do to help him. Even illiterates that crossed the river niger for the first time 2 years dey follow claim Lagos. Despite my hometown been just 45 mins away from Lagos. I can't claim Lagos except by marriage. Why would anyone claim Lagos when you know the way to your village during Xmas.

3 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by eazisky(m): 2:14pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

and your history teacher didnt tell that palm kernel and coal were key sources of income in Nigeria then,or is this another case of selective amnesia.

Oh! so u knw? then u are suffering from an ailment called ignorance, for saying lagos was developed with south-south oil money, get ur fact right b4 posting mr. Mario!!

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 2:17pm On Apr 10, 2015
MugabeRobert:

Another self hating, deluded igbo loon on the prowl. Why don't you start by googling Lagos of 1920s?

Why the fixation on Lagos? Are you idiots not of even ashame of yourselves? Keep fooling yourself.
am not surprise you recoursed to insult as a way out but in my culture men are known by their ability to ignore insult...unlike you,even your leaders always use insult as a weapon eg Oba Akiolu,FFK,Tinubu and a host of others.Learn to accomodate opposing ideas.
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AgentMS: 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
Olaolufred:

[/size]

Lokoja was the first, Calabar was the 2nd, Lagos 3rd and Abuja 4th.

No body has a problem with Lagos being called a no man's land, provided all the mentioned cities are also declared so officially.

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by voxpopp: 2:21pm On Apr 10, 2015
Olaolufred:

[/size]

Me I sha know without Ibos, Lagos will not develop. Look at the important fields of interest they are well known for.

Prostitution, selling of fake video game discs, fake cds and dvds, fake drugs, peddling of hard drugs, piracy, selling of gala on the highway, selling of okrika clothing items, selling fake vehicle spare parts, importing substandard china goods, importing and exporting aba made clones etc.

This activities are very vital to the economical success of Lagos.

We cannot do without them grin

They are very vital to us grin . Pls oba Akiolu, don't kill them for us. We also love their girls with their flat bald heads, moustache, yam legs, and hairy limbs grin

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by zimoni(f): 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2015
This fixation on Lagos is getting out of hands.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AgentMS: 2:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
Was anybody invited to come to Lagos, be it the British, FGN or Ibos?

You all came to see the aquatic splendour and your were fixated.

The British have found their way back to UK and FGN to Abuja. Any sad Ibo over Lagos being a yorubaland, can also head back to land of gully erosion where they came from.

Are ibos the only ones in Lagos. Don't we have Hausas, Edos, itshekiris, anang, efik, fulani, gwari, nupe, bariba, tiv, igala etc in the same Lagos.

If they are not trouble makers and finders, why their fixation on Lagos? Do we even know anybody called Igbo in SW till 1930? No.

Has Lagos been thriving before the arrival of the first igboman in Lagos? Capital YES.

Did they made appreciable contribution towards what Lagos is today. A definite and capital YES.

Were they the only one? Capital NO

End of Discussion.

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 2:36pm On Apr 10, 2015
dealslip:

I really do not understand what he is after. Since he insists on believing a lie, there is not much I can do to help him. Even illiterates that crossed the river niger for the first time 2 years dey follow claim Lagos. Despite my hometown been just 45 mins away from Lagos. I can't claim Lagos except by marriage. Why would anyone claim Lagos when you know the way to your village during Xmas.
Mr 'olowole proffessor'as its always common with your people to claim more educated even when the facts are glaring,it is interesting that you know you cant claim Lagos but yet you are defending known thiefs like Tinubu who claim to be more Lagos than true Lagos indigenes.....the serial looter Tinubu is from Iragbiji in OSUN state,Akin Ambode is from llaje ONDO state period,i dont know why you are moulding a mountain out of this simply fact.TRUTH IS CONSTANT.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2015
voxpopp:

Me I sha know without Ibos, Lagos will not develop. Look at the important fields of interest they are well known for.

Prostitution, selling of fake video game discs, fake cds and dvds, fake drugs, peddling of hard drugs, piracy, selling of gala on the highway, selling of okrika clothing items, selling fake vehicle spare parts, importing substandard china goods, importing and exporting aba made clones etc.

This activities are very vital to the economical success of Lagos.

We cannot do without them grin

They are very vital to us grin . Pls oba Akiolu, don't kill them for us. We also love their girls with their flat bald heads, moustache, yam legs, and hairy limbs grin
...and you forgot to add to your list that they own they houses you live in...hahaha be mindful of quit notice from your landlord.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AgentMS: 2:43pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

Mr 'olowole proffessor'as its always common with your people to claim more educated even when the facts are glaring,it is interesting that you know you cant claim Lagos but yet you are defending known thiefs like Tinubu who claim to be more Lagos than true Lagos indigenes.....the serial looter Tinubu is from Iragbiji in OSUN state,Akin Ambode is from llaje ONDO state period,i dont know why you are moulding a mountain out of this simply fact.TRUTH IS CONSTANT.

They can even be from Ajaokuta, it is immaterial. Nigeria is a map drawn by Lord Lugard.

Before Nigeria, we do not have the artificial created state dividing us. We were all yoruba with

1. Same progenitor -- Oduduwa

2. Political HQ -- Oyo

2. Spiritual HQ -- Ile ife.

3. Military Garrison -- Ibadan

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AgentMS: 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

...and you forgot to add to your list that they own they houses you live in...hahaha be mindful of quit notice from your landlord.

Emeka iyke comes to mind.
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by dealslip(f): 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
[/b][b]
AustineE1:

If you marry a Yoruba woman as an Ibo man will your offsprings claim your wifes state of Origin? Because you are to blinded by hate and tribalism, you have refused to seperate facts from the truth. I have been Tinubu's no 1 critic on NL because of corruption but I can not change his heritage and lineage to spite him. You are throwing every stone and brick in sight just to win a non existent arguement. I am happy you admitted there are true indigenes of Lagos as against the no mans Land tag I have been seeing around

2 Likes

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by Lanretoye(m): 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:
Lagos as it is known was the former capital of Nigeria and as such a lot were invested in making it what it is by the federal government,using the commonwealth of Nigeria and largerly revenues from the Niger-Delta states.These states includes Delta,Rivers,Cross-Rivers,Bayelsa,Akwa-Ibom,Edo,Abia,Imo,Ondo.
However,the capital statue has long been shifted to Abuja but yet many Nigerians still see it as home and home it is.Back to the topic,who is a Lagosian.A Lagosian,is any Nigerian who is born or lives in Lagos,pays his taxes as at when due,has a meaningful source of income,obeys constituted authorities and contributes to the development of Lagos,regardless of what part of Nigeria he or she is from.
Then this brings to mind the question,who is a true indigene of Lagos, in 'Nigerian context'?In Nigerian context an indigene of Lagos is not a man who was born in Lagos but a man whose father is originally a native of that area,whose origin can be traced to Lagos or as its called in local parlance,'a son of the soil'.So going by this description,you will find out that most people that shout on top of their voices claiming Lagos,are not even from Lagos.
For example,Bola Tinubu a former governor of Lagos is from Iragbiji in Osun State,Akin Ambode presently contesting for Lagos state governorship is from Ilaje in Ondo State.This clearly means that both are not indigenes of Lagos,just like most other people in Lagos eg Hausas,Igbos,Urhobos,Fulanis etc
A true indigene of lagos is the PDP contestant Jimi Agbaje who is from Ikorodu in Lagos state and this explains why he seems to be more popular with the common man in the street and most indigenous Lagosians.
In many quarters,there is call for a true indigene of Lagos to rule Lagos state as it is obtainable in other states.
God Bless Nigeria.
Lagosians must vote wisely
A true indigene deserves to govern Lagos this time around.

Must you base every part of your life on senseless propaganda?,you were making points until you deranged your post with your Jk ishh...
Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AustineE1: 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2015
AgentMS:
Was anybody invited to come to Lagos, be it the British, FGN or Ibos?

You all came to see the aquatic splendour and your were fixated.

The British have found their way back to UK and FGN to Abuja. Any sad Ibo over Lagos being a yorubaland, can also head back to land of gully erosion where there came from.

Are ibos the only ones in Lagos. Don't we have Hausas, Edos, itshekiris, anang, efik, fulani, gwari, nupe, bariba, tiv, igala etc in the same Lagos.

If they are not trouble makers and finders, why their fixation on Lagos? Do we even know anybody called Igbo in SW till 1930? No.

Has Lagos been thriving before the arrival of the first igboman in Lagos? Capital YES.

Did they made appreciable contribution towards what Lagos is today. A definite and capital YES.

Were they the only one? Capital NO

End of Discussion.
on a lighter note,do you think that if Igbos decides to leave Lagos and a meeting of cessation of ties was called by UN and Yorubas asked to pay Igbos back money for their investments and other landed properties,do you think that a whole life time,generation to generation, will be enough for the entire yoruba race to refund igbos back?the answer is No!
This then will mean that Yorubas will perpetually be in constant servitude to Igbos.

1 Like

Re: WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. by AgentMS: 2:55pm On Apr 10, 2015
AustineE1:

on a lighter note,do you think that if Igbos decides to leave Lagos and a meeting of cessation of ties was called by UN and Yorubas asked to pay Igbos back money for their investments and other landed properties,do you think that a whole life time,generation to generation, will be enough for the entire yoruba race to refund igbos back?the answer is No!
This then will mean that Yorubas will perpetually be in constant servitude to Igbos.

You have an over estimated view of yourselves.

If you say you guys make most noise Nd brag over little things, fine I will agree.

Saying you have more investments without facts and figures to show is nothing but a make-me-happy story you to tell to yourselves to make you feel good.

If Igbos leave Lagos today, that is when you will realise how inconsequential and insignificant they are within this Lagos. Have you forgotten that Lagos is the capital of West Africa.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

*** Check Out The Most Beautiful First Lady In The World *** / If Jonathan And Buhari Stand In A Free And Fair Election TODAY Who Will Win? / The New Salary Structure Of The Nigeria Police Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.