Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,938 members, 7,810,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Growing Sesame In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Sesame In Nigeria (2559 Views)

Growing Red Corn With Photos / The Yams I Bought To Eat Have Started Growing In My Room / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Sesame In Nigeria by debeey87(m): 2:19pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hello farmers,

I have read quite a few things about sesame seeds being grown and exported in Nigeria but it seems very few farmers plant it.

My little research shows it adapts very well even on infertile soil I mean with low nutrients. Heard OLAM helps farmers in supply of seeds as well as buy after harvest.

I will appreciate inputs from farmers anywhere in the country on the following issues
1. What time of the year do you plan

2. What is the rain pattern in Ur location and during the period of planting.

3 . where do you source for seeds.

4. Any general experience with sesame seeds will be appreciated.

I plan on growing sesame seeds this year in Ilorin God willing.
Re: Growing Sesame In Nigeria by LONGFELLOW02(m): 7:24am On Apr 11, 2015
I don't think it will do well in Ilorin. Try to connect with Farmers 4rm Kogi,Nassarawa nd Benue they will be the one to explain it better to You.

They usually plant it between August-September. .

It doesn't like much water.
Re: Growing Sesame In Nigeria by dav8id(m): 7:27pm On Apr 11, 2015
@op ur location is not sweet able for sesame farming......nairaland is not the best place for you to source for this info.
...make a trip to places like katsina, benue, nasarawa, kogi, or taraba state in interact with farmers there and get the insight info...you can as well lease a land there the for ur sesame seed farming...
Re: Growing Sesame In Nigeria by debeey87(m): 8:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Thanks for the insight bro. Will do the needful.

But on a second thought, if it has to do with rain, Ilorin doesnt usually have so much rain as well exceot there are other things that need to be put into consideration though.
LONGFELLOW02:
I don't think it will do well in Ilorin. Try to connect with Farmers 4rm Kogi,Nassarawa nd Benue they will be the one to explain it better to You.

They usually plant it between August-September. .

It doesn't like much water.
Re: Growing Sesame In Nigeria by debeey87(m): 8:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
Thanks
dav8id:
@op ur location is not sweet able for sesame farming......nairaland is not the best place for you to source for this info.
...make a trip to places like katsina, benue, nasarawa, kogi, or taraba state in interact with farmers there and get the insight info...you can as well lease a land there the for ur sesame seed farming...
Re: Growing Sesame In Nigeria by EXPORTFINANCE: 7:34pm On Jan 19, 2020
We want dried raw cashew nuts 2020!....
Cash on Delivery only!....
08077881934 (whats-app)

(1) (Reply)

Goat Milk Available / Have You Ever Seen A Chicken With Four Legs? (see One) / Who Need Peanut Coating Machine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.