Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,407 members, 7,853,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 01:55 AM

Five Drawbacks To Avoid For Job Hunting Success - Part 1 - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Five Drawbacks To Avoid For Job Hunting Success - Part 1 (477 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Drawbacks To Avoid For Job Hunting Success - Part 1 by Wumivic(m): 4:52pm On Apr 10, 2015
If you are unemployed, underemployed, or unhappily employed, avoiding these five drawbacks will increase your job hunting success. I’m going to mention two today…

1. DON’T BE CARELESS ABOUT YOUR CAREER. Take charge of managing your career instead of leaving it to your supervisor and the company’s human resources department. While harsh, it is an economic reality that they consider you as a resource to be used in providing goods or services to the marketplace. If there is a way to get things done more efficiently without you, or if your employer encounters adverse economic conditions, or just decides to make some organizational changes, the company’s interests will necessarily be served rather than yours. The days of relying on an employer to satisfy job needs, let alone career needs, have long since passed. People can no longer count on beginning and ending a career 40 or 50 years later with retirement from the same company. Career entitlement no longer exists, even in federal employment, and it is now up to you to actively manage you career.

2. DON’T SHORTCHANGE YOURSELF. Often people think “What could I possibly do? I’ll never be able to find the kind of job I want. I’m stuck here forever.” This sort of reasoning is just not correct and can easily become a self-fulfilling prescription for failure. There are no career “Changes,” just career transitions! For example, let’s look at a school teacher who wants to do something else outside the field of education. A teacher really has a lot to offer in the job marketplace: teachers like to work with and help others; they are educated and experienced in solving problems; they are good trainers and motivators; and they are good communicators accustomed to speaking in front of groups, as well as one-on-one. Now, let’s transfer these sorts of skills and see what happens. An expanding and always important career field is that of customer service. It’s not easy to keep customers today, so there are lots of organizations out there interested in customer service-oriented people; that is, people who can communicate intelligently and like to work with others and be helpful. Other target areas might include customer service supervision or training where skills like group presentations, motivating, and problem-solving are essential. Too many people don’t give themselves enough credit for the skills they have. They seem to have tunnel vision about themselves and focus on only one thing; what they have done in the past. In truth, most people really do have transferable skills valuable to the marketplace.

Do you want to know the secret of getting your dream job in 90 days? Visit http://mydreamjobin90days..com/ for more details

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Computer Instructor Needed For Immediate Employment / Writers Needed For Immediate Employment! / JOB VACANCY – Head, Information Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.