Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga (54763 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / Caption This Photo Of Fashola And Tinubu Staring At The Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 11, 2015
geoworldedu:

did the Oba come to your shops to proclaim that? you guys went to the OBA's palace to disturb his peace and he laid a 'Lagoon curse' on you.
look at how an average yoruba man thinks, and ppl say dz ppl are Ok...

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by uzolexis(f): 9:53am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

Sir am sorry to say but you are the biased one here. You should see I stated clearly , my issue with the article. The oba's action have come and go and without doubt he has cleared the air. That aside.

But for a lady coming to spew lies about how her people were murthered for a wrong reason of which will all know ain't true is condemnable. And as such I believe to the bottom of my heart I am not biased but have treated this issue the right way

So u actually believe that Igbos were murdered 4 d right reason in the 60s Have u rewritten history?
I expected a more objective analysis 4rm u cos I fflw ur post n admire ur sense of reason, but ur comment on this article was just low n i'm dissapointed.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 9:54am On Apr 11, 2015
superstar1:

Who are the igbos? Nobody in the scheme of things. Lost in their bid to retain their ruling-by-proxy president. Wish your states and your people are naturally accommodating to others. Alas, you are the direct synonym of UNACCOMMODATING.

Of course ONE NIGERIA and RIP Biafra forever and ever. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
we are nobody and yet your oba is throwing tantrums for our vote like a nursery school kid, tell me another lie grin

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by zeongeon: 9:59am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:
I think I will start by trying to be Anthropomorphic, as it will bet express my heading.
Its really sad when insanity realizes that he has a mental disorder then he is as good as cured. The moment a people come to terms with their complex problem which often place them at loggerheads with their host communities the better for them.

I seem not to fathom how a tribe claim to have suffered humiliations and deprivation from other ethnic nationalities. This allegation should be consider very weighty even though it was not substantiated. Nonetheless, this aggrieved ethnic nationality needs to ask herself what is about it that could be responsible for the purported hostile acts of other ethnic nationalities toward it.

One problem I have with Chimanda is all her articles tends to quote Chinua Achebe, even when its evident chinua actions are wrong. The sane mistake she made, about his book "there was a country". Now she is trying to say that the Igbo's were murdered in early 1960's for political reasons? Who started the war? Was it the Nigerian Arny or The late Ojukwu ? I see Chimabda is biased. And she is just a staunt re-echoer of Chinua Achebe's belief.

I liked the fact that she related the massacre of the Ibos in different parts of the country before the civil war. However what I do like to ask her is this,

1. chimanda was there nothing that led to the massacre?

You can't deny that the tendency to dominate in another man's land which is being exhibited now by taking the Oba to court is what led to such. Tell me when you come back from court if the people of Lagos will still have a good relationship with the Ibos.

Chimanda while trying to play a neutral ground at the surface, is been biased deep down. I am sorry to say but if Chimanda spent her time writing this, she wasted that time. As this just further lowered NY respect for her as an internationally recognised writer. Novel is her thing not politics.

Just imagine how shez is spreading lies about 1960s massacre. Posterity Judge you.

BUT u agree that tribalism is a poison that is killing Nigeria and why so much hate and bitterness against the ibos this election period So ibos can't vote for whom they like again and must b subjected to vote some other tribes choice...isn't it democracy again??..when ibos voted fashola and where hailing fashola why didn't they say ibo wants to claim right and dictate what happens in the land..some pple are just selfish..its not a curse ooh but with d way APC has been turned into a tribal party nigeria won't GO FORWARD..

KILL TRIBALISM!!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Mcleo007(m): 9:59am On Apr 11, 2015
ControlX:
Cc Seun Lalastica
ikenna351 afam4eva
Pls do the needful.

***modified***
Hahaha... at last i made fp just 6days to my birthday. [jumps and punches the air with my right hand]
Oooh.. Thank you, Jesus.

I dedicate this fp and ftc to my sweetest mum for all her efforts towards my personal success. Cheers mum.
Meanwhile special thanks to lalastica, seun, ikenna351 and afam4eva and all nairalanders...
Better things are coming.

Now to the topic....
I think what binds many tribes in Nigeria is a common hatred for the Igbos. This hatred i believe is hinged on the purported dominance of Igbos. What is it about Igbo dominance? Here is what a fellow nairalander has to say...

Great point. Fear of Igbo domination as my father
would say is a sign of weakness on the part of
the fearer and lack of confidence in their ability. In
other words, for someone to dominate you in a
non physical way whether economically, socially, educationally, in any way, shape and form as long
as they are not holding you hostage physically
from succeeding but solely by intelligence in a
level playing field, then the conclusion is that
person or group of people are smarter than
you...this has been scientifically proven. So any tribe that fears Igbo domination are less smarter
than the Igbos otherwise compete with them. The
reason why Igbos do better in everything that
they do, which is often mistaken as domination is
because they are smarter than the rest of other
ethnic groups in Nigeria. When I mean "smarter" I
don't mean individually as a Hausa man can be
smarter than a yoruba, yoruba smarter than an
ijaw man an ijaw may be smarter than an Igbo,
e.t.c., however as a whole in terms of an ethnic
group, the Igbos lead the pack in Nigeria and
some tribes see it as a domination but actually it
isn't...they are just more smarter and have more
drive than others. Dr. Thomas Sowell detailed this
in his book and actually mentions Igbos as the
most successful ethnic group in Nigeria despite
the civil war set back.

If Nigeria wants to be truly great, we should not trifle with any tribe, especially the Igbos.

You delude yourself by two key points in your comment; "domination" and "smarter". In as much as the terms are relative, it does little on the part of intellectual auto critique. I'll educate you on that now. No one person or group is /can be dominant or smarter than the other. That the Igbo's largely engage in, and consequently thrives in petty trades, menial hustle, wholesale dealership and more, doesn't make them better at it than others. These are things any human can do to survive. Trade is not limited by culture, time and space.

What you don't know, doesn't hurt you, they say! Call two Igbo billionaires today, and I'll name 10 industrialists/billionaires who are Yoruba. Yoruba people dwell more on industrialisation than ventural businesses with limited employment enhancement and affluence.

I often hear people say the Igbo people largely helped to develop Lagos; that for me is an insult to the aborigens and other Yoruba's in the state. There are other ethnic groups in the state, in large numbers too; Edo, Ebira, Ijaw, Hausa. Whatever happened to these sects! That they don't rent shops in Ikeja and sell spare parts in Ladipo and Alaba make their contributions to the state any less?

Take politics for example; that the Igbo's are naively malignant in political relevance make them any less smarter than the Hausas and Yoruba's who are more elite in that light?

You see my friend, the Igbo's are not better than anybody than themselves. And the assumption of envy from the Yoruba's, and aspired domination of Lagos is such a silly thought too.

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by superstar1(m): 10:01am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

we are nobody and yet your oba is throwing tantrums for our vote like a nursery school kid, tell me another lie grin

tantrums for your votes? and your stup1d elders were busy laughing and clapping like Charlie Chaplain.

If that is the case then, you guys need a bloody revolution to change your shameless elders at the meeting, that could not utter a word, rather were clapping and shaking their heads like Agama lizard. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by BushidoBlue(m): 10:02am On Apr 11, 2015
ideykwum:
How did she get it wrong? You are the one reading this article through a tribalistic haze! How can you then see right? She rebuked the conduct of supposed leaders in a very diplomatic way! Asking Igbos to move on without any attempt to ask Akiolu to apologise is an insult! Get that simple logic into that head!

You need not explain to them. Many here on Nairaland have a massive challenge with comprehension and simple grammar.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by ikechukwu354(m): 10:03am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:
I think I will start by trying to be Anthropomorphic, as it will bet express my heading.
Its really sad when insanity realizes that he has a mental disorder then he is as good as cured. The moment a people come to terms with their complex problem which often place them at loggerheads with their host communities the better for them.

I seem not to fathom how a tribe claim to have suffered humiliations and deprivation from other ethnic nationalities. This allegation should be consider very weighty even though it was not substantiated. Nonetheless, this aggrieved ethnic nationality needs to ask herself what is about it that could be responsible for the purported hostile acts of other ethnic nationalities toward it.

One problem I have with Chimanda is all her articles tends to quote Chinua Achebe, even when its evident chinua actions are wrong. The sane mistake she made, about his book "there was a country". Now she is trying to say that the Igbo's were murdered in early 1960's for political reasons? Who started the war? Was it the Nigerian Arny or The late Ojukwu ? I see Chimabda is biased. And she is just a staunt re-echoer of Chinua Achebe's belief.

I liked the fact that she related the massacre of the Ibos in different parts of the country before the civil war. However what I do like to ask her is this,

You can't deny that the tendency to dominate in another man's land which is being exhibited now by taking the Oba to court is what led to such. Tell me when you come back from court if the people of Lagos will still have a good relationship with the Ibos.

Chimanda while trying to play a neutral ground at the surface, is been biased deep down. I am sorry to say but if Chimanda spent her time writing this, she wasted that time. As this just further lowered NY respect for her as an internationally recognised writer. Novel is her thing not politics.

Just imagine how shez is spreading lies about 1960s massacre. Posterity Judge you.

this please please please stop the rubbish... ah the oba has done wrong and people still back him up, den when dey talk of dividing the country so there will be peace u start praying against the devil plan to destroy nigeria, when we are seen as evil in our own land... they want us to die... upon the destabilization of the igbo wealth during the war, they still want us to die... Its nature that will judge u all cux the oba just made somebody unpatriotic, hatred kipping in my mind for nigeria, it was not like dat....

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by OdenigboAroli2: 10:05am On Apr 11, 2015
superstar1:

tantrums for your votes? and your stup1d elders were busy laughing and clapping like Charlie Chaplain.

If that is the case then, you guys need a bloody revolution to change your shameless elders at the meeting, that could not utter a word, rather were clapping and shaking their heads like Agama lizard. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
they were clapping and saying "yes, finally we have this stvpid oba by his balls, we are going to squeeze him till he cries" grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by zeongeon: 10:06am On Apr 11, 2015
MugabeRobert:
The ibos are now crying blue murder cos the yorubas decided to stop defending and start attacking. Well you ain't seen nothing yet, don't expect flowers in return after calling a region that accepted you a no man's land.

why is it at this time that you pple are so pissed about lagos called "no mans land"..why get pissed over nothing..is it only ibos that call lagos "no mans land"? I have heard other tribes call lagos a "no mans land"..why not pick on other tribes why the ibos..is it only the igbo tribe that lagos is accomodating?..lagos is diversified so if u are angry with the ibos u equally should b angry with the northerns, niger deltans etc.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by ekiloui(f): 10:06am On Apr 11, 2015
oluamid:

It's is enlightening because it is written from an Igbo stand point?

The tone is vengeful and utterly biased if u ask me.

And it isn't enlightening because it's not from a Yoruba stand point? That's rather hypocritical of u.

The vengeful thing is coming to read the politics section of NL and seeing your tribe insulted, degraded and mocked every single day. Now that's vengeful

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Godwin10123: 10:07am On Apr 11, 2015
rabimlomo:

But why do you igbos like roaming about? I mean, does that not mean that your own land is not conducive for you. And I don't mean just Lagos, but even my village as remote as it is. Why don't you stay in your towns, develop it, and turn them into little londons?
I'm happy u mentioned ur village. Abeg make I ask u cus rit now I pressume u re not in d village, so watin carry u come where u dey now? Hope u re.ember dat any Nigerian have d rit 2 live in any part of the country. In Abuja many yorubas live dia 2, wat re dey doing dia? Abeg ans me?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by MrT2011(m): 10:09am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

You are a devil! And you will die as one!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by eaglechild: 10:10am On Apr 11, 2015
Sanchez01:

Please don't get me wrong. When things happen and I don't feel it directly, I try to imagine myself in the "feeler's" shoes. I bear no ill will against anyone just that bigotry sickens me. I still believe the movie was never needed still.
I disagree with you.
History must never be swept under the carpet.
Half of a yellow sun was necessary.
It is a reminder for those at present and in the future that they should never tow a certain part.

Over 6 million Jews died in the holocaust and their story has been told countless times and will continue to be told no matter how bitter it is to the Jews or how it demonizes the Germans.

It is unfortunate that today an Oba is making similar statements to that the Nazi made.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by chibecanglobal(m): 10:13am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

If at all Chimamanda is gulty as you just wrote then you are equally guilty for the the same wrong doing for you have also refused to acknowledge the missteps of the Oba that prompted the writing in the first place. For you to remove a speck in another's eye? you must first get rid of that log in your own eyes.
Remain prosperous!

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by zeongeon: 10:13am On Apr 11, 2015
MugabeRobert:
The Oba has spoken and this voice are in clear terms. If you can't take it, just move back to your village and stop causing nuisance.

Finally, am proud someone is standing up against these arrogant and loudmouthed bullies.

Ibos have been bullying u with success..u too can also be successful just work hard, be adventurous and courageous to go beyond borders..while d igbo youth is serving and learning business under a master for like 6 to 7 years ur pple spend there time as thugs and touts collecting money forcefully and thriving on the hard work of drivers and market pple..u don't expect touts to b as successful as boyz who have go through discipline learning a trade..Life gives u what u put in it.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by superstar1(m): 10:18am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

they were clapping and saying "yes, finally we have this stvpid oba by his balls, we are going to squeeze him till he cries" grin

funny you.

Definitely, that must have been said in Mandarin version of Igbo. Your useless elders at the meeting are a replica of leaders elected in your states.

No wonder all of you keep trooping of your region like ants, searching for greener pastures in other parts of the country. Depriving your land of more manpower required for the development of your regions in shambles already, making your land more desolate, reducing the life expectancy of your region, reducing investment flow to your region and increasing the economic activities of other regions.

Can't you see you are doomed? No wonder Lagos is Iboman's LONDON, NEW YORK and PARIS. You can only stay there, it can never be yours. Get over it.

Elect good leaders and not jesters. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by MrT2011(m): 10:18am On Apr 11, 2015
MugabeRobert:
The ibos are now crying blue murder cos the yorubas decided to stop defending and start attacking. Well you ain't seen nothing yet, don't expect flowers in return after calling a region that accepted you a no man's land.

grin cheesy

Lagos is a no mans land!
Do your worst! Or better still, go perish in the lagoon as your tout oba had cursed disgrace you!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by lynn360: 10:18am On Apr 11, 2015
Your kabiyesi asked for the insult, why in heaven sake should one be grateful for residing in a particular region still in the spheres of Nigeria. Imagine if an igbo traditional ruler made such a disregarding statement about d yorubas, of course hell will let lose. Pls let's be reasonable for once, stop the unnecessary bias thinking it won't help us as a nation...
MugabeRobert:

Are you minding the ungrateful parasites? We gave peace and they paid us back with constant abuse of our traditional values. Can they try half of what they are doing in southwest in the north? Heck, can they insult Emir of Kano the way they did to Kabiyesi?

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by zeongeon: 10:19am On Apr 11, 2015
MugabeRobert:

Are you minding the ungrateful parasites? We gave peace and they paid us back with constant abuse of our traditional values. Can they try half of what they are doing in southwest in the north? Heck, can they insult Emir of Kano the way they did to Kabiyesi?

Emir of kano respects himself at least..even in the bible a king who is not wise or doesn't respect himself will be given to ridicule.

At this age and time when pple are enlightened and educated that's when ur oba thought it wise to make such comments..Pple will speak up against him and strip him off his royal garment and honour with terrible words..even dog will bite u if u don't respect urself regardless of ur status.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by 99100(m): 10:19am On Apr 11, 2015
ControlX:
A few days ago, the Oba of Lagos threatened Igbo leaders. If they did not vote for his governorship candidate in Lagos, he said, they would be thrown into the lagoon. His entire speech was a flagrant performance of disregard. His words said, in effect: I think so little of you that I don’t have to cajole you but will just threaten you and, by the way, your safety in Lagos is not assured, it is negotiable.
There have been condemnations of the Oba’s words. Sadly, many of the condemnations from non-Igbo people have come with the ugly impatience of expressions like ‘move on,’ and ‘don’t be over-emotional’ and ‘calm down.’ These take away the power, even the sincerity, of the condemnations. It is highhanded and offensive to tell an aggrieved person how to feel, or how quickly to forgive, just as an apology becomes a non-apology when it comes with ‘now get over it.’
Other condemnations of the Oba’s words have been couched in dismissive or diminishing language such as ‘The Oba can’t really do anything, he isn’t actually going to kill anyone. He was joking. He was just being a loudmouth.’

Or – the basest yet – ‘we are all prejudiced.’ It is dishonest to respond to a specific act of prejudice by ignoring that act and instead stressing the generic and the general. It is similar to responding to a specific crime by saying ‘we are all capable of crime.’ Indeed we are. But responses such as these are diversionary tactics. They dismiss the specific act, diminish its importance, and ultimately aim at silencing the legitimate fears of people.

We are indeed all prejudiced, but that is not an appropriate response to an issue this serious. The Oba is not an ordinary citizen. He is a traditional ruler in a part of a country where traditional rulers command considerable influence – the reluctance on the part of many to directly chastise the Oba speaks to his power. The Oba’s words matter. He is not a singular voice; he represents traditional authority. The Oba’s words matter because they are enough to incite violence in a political setting already fraught with uncertainty. The Oba’s words matter even more in the event that Ambode loses the governorship election, because it would then be easy to scapegoat Igbo people and hold them punishable.

Nigerians who consider themselves enlightened might dismiss the Oba’s words as illogical. But the scapegoating of groups – which has a long history all over the world – has never been about logic. The Oba’s words matter because they bring worrying echoes of the early 1960s in Nigeria, when Igbo people were scapegoated for political reasons. Chinua Achebe, when he finally accepted that Lagos, the city he called home, was unsafe for him because he was Igbo, saw crowds at the motor park taunting Igbo people as they boarded buses: ‘Go, Igbo, go so that garri will be cheaper in Lagos!’
Of course Igbo people were not responsible for the cost of garri. But they were perceived as people who were responsible for a coup and who were ‘taking over’ and who, consequently, could be held responsible for everything bad.

Any group of people would understandably be troubled by a threat such as the Oba’s, but the Igbo, because of their history in Nigeria, have been particularly troubled. And it is a recent history. There are people alive today who were publicly attacked in cosmopolitan Lagos in the 1960s because they were Igbo. Even people who were merely light-skinned were at risk of violence in Lagos markets, because to be light-skinned was to be mistaken for Igbo.

Almost every Nigerian ethnic group has a grouse of some sort with the Nigerian state. The Nigerian state has, by turns, been violent, unfair, neglectful, of different parts of the country. Almost every ethnic group has derogatory stereotypes attached to it by other ethnic groups.

But it is disingenuous to suggest that the experience of every ethnic group has been the same. Anti-Igbo violence began under the British colonial government, with complex roots and manifestations. But the end result is a certain psychic difference in the relationship of Igbo people to the Nigerian state. To be Igbo in Nigeria is constantly to be suspect; your national patriotism is never taken as the norm, you are continually expected to prove it.

All groups are conditioned by their specific histories. Perhaps another ethnic group would have reacted with less concern to the Oba’s threat, because that ethnic group would not be conditioned by a history of being targets of violence, as the Igbo have been.

Many responses to the Oba’s threat have mentioned the ‘welcoming’ nature of Lagos, and have made comparisons between Lagos and southeastern towns like Onitsha. It is valid to debate the ethnic diversity of different parts of Nigeria, to compare, for example, Ibadan and Enugu, Ado-Ekiti and Aba, and to debate who moves where, and who feels comfortable living where and why that is. But it is odd to pretend that Lagos is like any other city in Nigeria. It is not. The political history of Lagos and its development as the first national capital set it apart. Lagos is Nigeria’s metropolis. There are ethnic Igbo people whose entire lives have been spent in Lagos, who have little or no ties to the southeast, who speak Yoruba better than Igbo. Should they, too, be reminded to be ‘grateful’ each time an election draws near?

No law-abiding Nigerian should be expected to show gratitude for living peacefully in any part of Nigeria. Landlords in Lagos should not, as still happens too often, be able to refuse to rent their property to Igbo people.

The Oba’s words were disturbing, but its context is even more disturbing:

The anti-Igbo rhetoric that has been part of the political discourse since the presidential election results. Accusatory and derogatory language – using words like ‘brainwashed,’ ‘tribalistic voting’ – has been used to describe President Jonathan’s overwhelming win in the southeast. All democracies have regions that vote in large numbers for one side, and even though parts of Northern Nigeria showed voting patterns similar to the Southeast, the opprobrium has been reserved for the Southeast.

But the rhetoric is about more than mere voting. It is really about citizenship. To be so entitled as to question the legitimacy of a people’s choice in a democratic election is not only a sign of disrespect but is also a questioning of the full citizenship of those people.

What does it mean to be a Nigerian citizen?
When Igbo people are urged to be ‘grateful’ for being in Lagos, do they somehow have less of a right as citizens to live where they live? Every Nigerian should be able to live in any part of Nigeria. The only expectation for a Nigerian citizen living in any part of Nigeria is to be law-abiding. Not to be ‘grateful.’ Not to be expected to pay back some sort of unspoken favour by toeing a particular political line. Nigerian citizens can vote for whomever they choose, and should never be expected to justify or apologize for their choice.
Only by feeling a collective sense of ownership of Nigeria can we start to forge a nation. A nation is an idea. Nigeria is still in progress. To make this a nation, we must collectively agree on what citizenship means: all Nigerians must matter equally.

Source:
www.olisa.tv/2015/04/10/chimamanda-adichieoba-lagos/
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by JUHABACH: 10:20am On Apr 11, 2015
treasuremi1:
For how long do we want this to continue!!! What is happening? Okay, the oba said it and he is regretting ever saying it., but can't we move on?
when exactly did the oba express this so-called 'regret'?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by XBLadez: 10:21am On Apr 11, 2015
Crueldeed:

After your father kick the bucket.
Mumuni, it's your type that hides behind cheap tecno fones and type rubbish online. When it gets to violence, u lock urself up in ur one-room apartment. Thunder baptize ur family, iddiot!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by kingjohnny(m): 10:23am On Apr 11, 2015
It is a pity that in our setting monarchs are not groomed well before attaining to kingship and politics has always been the vital thing that determines who attains the throne

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by HANDSOMETOKS: 10:24am On Apr 11, 2015
ControlX:
Cc Seun Lalastica
ikenna351 afam4eva
Pls do the needful.

***modified***
Hahaha... at last i made fp just 6days to my birthday. [jumps and punches the air with my right hand]
Oooh.. Thank you, Jesus.

I dedicate this fp and ftc to my sweetest mum for all her efforts towards my personal success. Cheers mum.
Meanwhile special thanks to lalastica, seun, ikenna351 and afam4eva and all nairalanders...
Better things are coming.

Now to the topic....
I think what binds many tribes in Nigeria is a common hatred for the Igbos. This hatred i believe is hinged on the purported dominance of Igbos. What is it about Igbo dominance? Here is what a fellow nairalander has to say...

Great point. Fear of Igbo domination as my father
would say is a sign of weakness on the part of
the fearer and lack of confidence in their ability. In
other words, for someone to dominate you in a
non physical way whether economically, socially, educationally, in any way, shape and form as long
as they are not holding you hostage physically
from succeeding but solely by intelligence in a
level playing field, then the conclusion is that
person or group of people are smarter than
you...this has been scientifically proven. So any tribe that fears Igbo domination are less smarter
than the Igbos otherwise compete with them. The
reason why Igbos do better in everything that
they do, which is often mistaken as domination is
because they are smarter than the rest of other
ethnic groups in Nigeria. When I mean "smarter" I
don't mean individually as a Hausa man can be
smarter than a yoruba, yoruba smarter than an
ijaw man an ijaw may be smarter than an Igbo,
e.t.c., however as a whole in terms of an ethnic
group, the Igbos lead the pack in Nigeria and
some tribes see it as a domination but actually it
isn't...they are just more smarter and have more
drive than others. Dr. Thomas Sowell detailed this
in his book and actually mentions Igbos as the
most successful ethnic group in Nigeria despite
the civil war set back.

If Nigeria wants to be truly great, we should not trifle with any tribe, especially the Igbos.

Having read what that ugly mofo wrote and your own write up, its now clear that Igbos' stupidity has no limit.

Go around the world, developed countries: US/UK and try this Igbos stupidity there and wait to see what English League guys will do to you.

Developed countries still maintain what I called bonafide citizens and immigrant citizens till date. No matter how long you have lived or your great great grandfathers have lived in US and UK, you are still recognised as Immigrants. So what is she talking about?

There are Pakistanians who were born and bred in India but for the fact their fathers are from Pakistan have to leave when separation came. However, you have option of denouncing your father side to where you are born. The same fate befell people from south Sudan who were born and bred in the North capital city called Khartoum(just like Lagos) but they have to join their ancestors when separation came. What a biased opinion? Am I surprised? Capital NO.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by zeongeon: 10:26am On Apr 11, 2015
Alcatraz001:
When you ibos get tired of ranting and whining then you wwould sto and face your illegal businesses both in Nigeria and abroad.

The ibos are a conqquered people and they should deal with it!

Next!
Ur the one with a conquered mind because u have refused to educate ur mind..The world has gone so far and there are no conquered pple again..for every one has d freedom to achieve and become who he or she wants too..While u deceive ur self the ibos are conquered pple they are busy being successful.

Free ur mind from d chains of tribalism and hate.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Truth234(m): 10:29am On Apr 11, 2015
OdenigboAroli2:

can you mention just one tribe or one name of any man that has ever attempted to contest elections in the east. The igbos started trying to win in Yorubaland since the days of Zik. You need to travel small.

They were not contesting or even living there because it wasn't conducive and your people were hostile to them. Even Justus Esiri, Dr Sid's father put it right, Yorubaland is the only place you can own a land as an Igbo and feel welcome. You can contest and have all this privileges because your host respect you, I have not seen that from you. You should be the one to travel small, the world is bigger than America and Nigeria.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Tibins(m): 10:31am On Apr 11, 2015
ekiloui:
***MODIFIED***

A rather enlightening post...here's a reply I gave to someone who was promoting tribal inequality..I hope it gives some insights too.

Meanwhile...while we say calm down and move on, if Agbaje wins then we shall see the effects of the Obas words today. And mind you, if violence starts because of those words all in Lagos will be affected. Let's pray for a peaceful election

Na Wao! Lagos in Nigeria is like New York in US (America-commercial hub). Oba's words is like compelling the Chinese, Russians, Indians, etc to vote for the democrats in US.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by Godwin10123: 10:32am On Apr 11, 2015
Since dis Oba saga started,I'm surprised wit the kind of hatred dat suddenly springs up abt the igbos. Is it dat dis hatred has been on or wat?It makes me bleed and believe dat we re far far divided as a nation. All dis talk of 'one Nigeria' one nation' 'one love' one pple' re just fallacy. Every tribe is just waiting for who will shot d '1st gun'. If we re not ready to live as one den dia is no point pretending.

Anyway Arsenal will by playing FA cup 2day, let's support dem all the way, no mata ur tribe. Click like if u no want asenal 2 go trophyless dis season grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga by DeeMain(m): 10:35am On Apr 11, 2015
Ymodulus:

Sir am sorry to say but you are the biased one here. You should see I stated clearly , my issue with the article. The oba's action have come and go and without doubt he has cleared the air. That aside.

But for a lady coming to spew lies about how her people were murthered for a wrong reason of which will all know ain't true is condemnable. And as such I believe to the bottom of my heart I am not biased but have treated this issue the right way

She's spewing lies about how her ppl were murdered?

SMH.

Few people in d army (4 Igbos and a Yoruba) plots a coup which fails, killing prominent men from other tribes while failing to kill an Igbo and the whole Igbo is made to pay for a failed army coup? The Igbo Head of State, Nigeria's number 1 citizen was murdered in the counter coup and that wasn't enough revenge. An entire generation of Igbo army officers is wiped out and it was still not enough. Then the final straw, over 100,000 innocent women, children and men are slaughtered in cold blood in the ensuing pogrom with the government of the day looking the other way while telling the world he could not guarantee Igbo safety. And u are saying they were murderd for the right reason?

What the original coupists did was evil but why visit d sins of coup plotters on their tribe? Do coup plotters announce in village squares about their intended coups and wait for concurrence from the people before they strike?

Why haven't Nigeria visited the entire north with a pogrom for Boko Haram and for the many religious riots and killings of years gone by? Why aren't we killing all the northerners because of Boko Haram?

Instead of Nigeria to find ways to heal that wound and pacify a wronged ppl, many were justifying it, till this day. Today, we are back to square one - a deeply wounded, traumatized and divided nation.

Educate yourself about that war or shut up please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Who's The Worst Head Of State In Nigerian History? / Goodluck Jonathan Celebrates Atiku's Victory With PDP Stalwarts (Photos) / Tinubu Defeats Atiku, Obi In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.