Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,929 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga (4144 Views)

Aisha Buhari's Alleged Impostor Speaks Out, "Politicians Are Soiling My Name" / Why Are Majority Of Yoruba Politicians Always In Opposition? / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 3:34am On Apr 08, 2015
Before I get jumped on by the tribal voltrons...please hear me out.

I remembered the Wall Street Journal article (abi na Financial Times?) that referenced Tinubu's machavellian approach to cinching the presidency and this got me thinking.

Contrary to what many believe, I suspect that the incriminating video excerpt of Lagos' Oba threatening Igbos was leaked by APC handlers...not PDP.

Think about this: in Lagos, there are more Yoruba pvc holders than Igbo. Whether Igbos like it or not this is an irrefutable fact (as for the why...population dynamics + the power of the incumbency to ensure yoruba owned pvcs are released to the public compared with non-Yorubas).

This election is actually about shifting + securing the Yoruba vote...and nothing guarantees this more that inciting a little tribalism. What better way to do this than by using the Igbos as pawns in an exciting Igbo vs Yoruba battle?

They release something from a Yoruba figurehead to offend Igbo sensibilities, have them react with vitriol towards Yorubas and in turn, have Yorubas vote APC out of tribal retaliation. Tribalism is Nigeria's opium and Igbos and Yorubas sucked the drama out of this episode like a man who,,re guzzling on puzzy juice (xcuse my french).

Prior to the recent turn of events, I didn't believe that the Lagos elections would have a high turnout. Nigerians were still in the honeymoon phase of Buhari's election and weren't THAT interested. And there were legitimate concerns that PDP's Jimi Agbaje would give Ambode a run for his money among Yoruba voters.

This saga was the game changer that APC needed.

SMART MOVE.

Igbos fell for the bait and the Yoruba masses will fall in proper position, as planned.

I must admit that Yoruba leaders (emphasis on Yoruba LEADERS. The general population are a malleable lot and exhibit nigger.ism just like their equally dumb Igbo counterparts) are masters of political manipulation. Something that Igbo leaders sorely lack. Could it be the years of palace intrigues in the heyday of slave empires of oyo, ife, etc?

I don't see this among the hausa-fulani aristocracy and I guess this stems from the survival tactics employed by Yoruba courthands since Obas were more disposable than Emirs.

I will look to the results of this weekend's elections to confirm my suspicions.

I may be watching too many episodes of Revenge (love me some Emily Thorne vs Victoria Grayson mindgames grin....season 4 sucks though), BUT think about this.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Richhard(m): 3:44am On Apr 08, 2015
Absurd,but making sense!

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by italo: 4:16am On Apr 08, 2015
Ambode anD APC always had the upperhanD in Lagos.

If the Oba's rant does anything, it galvanizes the neutral undecided votes towards Agbaje and PDP, especially Igbos and other non-Yorubas. Also Yoruba votes are divided while Igbo votes aren't.

I think the Oba has just made the race tighter than it should have been.

Tribalism is always foolish in the end.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nokiae5: 4:23am On Apr 08, 2015
wait make i ask you one question.you feel say yoruba get pvc pass any igbo for any of these states(abia,anambra,enugu ebonyi and imo) what is your problem How you expect say igbos go get pvc pass yoruba for lagos At times we dey talk sh*t oooo

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by oduastates: 4:47am On Apr 08, 2015
On the pvc. It is only wishful thinking that outsider are even anywhere close to yoruba. If only 1/3 of the eligible yorubas vote for ambode, that automatically wins it.
The igbos and not the king,are on the spot here.
Let's even imagine that many yorubas are pissed off with Fashola and vote for agbaje
You can be sure that agbaje will be in bourdillon with 2 months paying homage after decamping.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by owobokiri(m): 4:50am On Apr 08, 2015
Akiolu has always been a talkative. With the benefit of hindsight, APC may gain from this but I doubt if the loquacious Oba was acting a script. He just didn't like the Eze igbo titles around him and may have been pissed too with the federal house results in igbo dominated areas. So he went off.ungaurded in the defence of his candidate. You guys from Yorubaland find it difficult to criticise the throne or even wayward elders. That is a cultural flaw you must find a way to deall with someday. Otherwise it takes no rocket science to feel Akiolus ill manners. Even before this outburst, if you have followed him closely, you would have always sensed that his mouth will get him in hot waters someday.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by temi4fash(m): 5:01am On Apr 08, 2015
owobokiri:
Akiolu has always been a talkative. With the benefit of hindsight, APC may gain from this but I doubt if the loquacious Oba was acting a script. He just didn't like the Eze igbo titles around him and may have been pissed too with the federal house results in igbo dominated areas. So he went off.ungaurded in the defence of his candidate. You guys from Yorubaland find it difficult to criticise the throne or even wayward elders. That is a cultural flaw you must find a way to deall with someday. Otherwise it takes no rocket science to feel Akiolus ill manners. Even before this outburst, if you have followed him closely, you would have always sensed that his mouth will get him in hot waters someday.

Guy... if u dont even have respect for his person. Have respect for the throne. Just as u dont criticise ur igwe from ur village. U dont have any right to come here and talk to a first grade monarch like that. I think u should careful, how you use ur tongue. ki ori ade ma lu e pa. Dont say u were not warned. The story of bode thomas should ring a bell..

13 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by owobokiri(m): 5:08am On Apr 08, 2015
temi4fash:

Guy... if u dont even have respect for his person. Have respect for the throne. Just as u dont criticise ur igwe from ur village. U dont have any right to come here and talk to a first grade monarch like that. I think u should careful, how you use ur tongue. ki ori ade ma lu e pa. Dont say u were not warned. The story of bode thomas should ring a bell..

You are not trying to threaten me, you dung beatle! Are you? You think I am you that gleefully bows before a fellow man? A dumb oba is there threatening genocide on some innocent people just because he wants to curry some favour from his candidates electoral win , intead of calling out the thugish Oba, you are admonishing me. Isi aki

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by overlord77: 5:35am On Apr 08, 2015
owobokiri:

You are not trying to threaten me, you dung beatle! Are you? You think I am you that gleefully bows before a fellow man? A dumb oba is there threatening genocide on some innocent people just because he wants to curry some favour from his candidates electoral win , intead of calling out the thugish Oba, you are admonishing me. Isi aki

Don't mind the ode, wish some of these lazy ass dudes can really threaten someone face to face. They are mere e-warriors but physically, cowards.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by hopeforcharles(m): 5:46am On Apr 08, 2015
owobokiri:

Well Spoken Bruv, One cant help but wonder what is really happening, if a So call first grade Monach could de- grade himself and make such foolishly ungaurded statemants in this 21st era of Political awarenes and choice i wonder where common sense has gone, Igbos cant be threaten or coerced to do that which is not their minds, if he the oba still thinks right or have sensible adviser and wants Igbos support, He should Appologize and withdraw his statements or be ready for a new Pdp goverment in Lagos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by ibedun: 5:55am On Apr 08, 2015
owobokiri:

Oba is worried about the Eze title? The Oba granted those titles in his domain. Why do you think the Ezes we're laughing and clapping like minus. The Oba can withdraw the title at any time, learn.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Menace2Society(m): 6:09am On Apr 08, 2015
overlord77:

Don't mind the ode, wish some of these lazy ass dudes can really threaten someone face to face. They are mere e-warriors but physically, cowards.
Chest beating experts!lol wish i could meet u one on one

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 08, 2015
Please you people should stop making so much noise about this Tinubu. That election was that way because the man in power wasn't willing to throw this country into chaos. You think if it was any other person that bihari will win? Please snap out of that trance. I don't see any tactics that is of the ordinary from APC. The greatest breakthrough is their opponent was not really keen on clinching the power.
Bros just the videos of all those small boys is enough for Jonathan to upturn the whole thing and cancel the election.
Let Tinubu repeat that his prowess in this gubernatorial elections.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 08, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Well Spoken Bruv, One cant help but wonder what is really happening, if a So call first grade Monach could de- grade himself and make such foolishly ungaurded statemants in this 21st era of Political awarenes and choice i wonder where common sense has gone, Igbos cant be threaten or coerced to do that which is not their minds, if he the oba still thinks right or have sensible adviser and wants Igbos support, He should Appologize and withdraw his statements or be ready for a new Pdp goverment in Lagos.
Let it be APGA founded by ur banished Ojukwu and nt PDP govt.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by hopeforcharles(m): 7:33am On Apr 08, 2015
Blastfinito:
Let it be APGA founded by ur banished Ojukwu and nt PDP govt.
what should i reply you? Well it seems u need another banning. I dnt have time to reply u. But i got this to say Ojukwu is one of the greatest Igbo man who live and his Ideas grows more till it will be impossible to subdue or silenced with that said you Ofe nma guys need be scared.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by dunkem21(m): 7:41am On Apr 08, 2015
You are right, bro. But this time, they shot themselves in the scrotum cheesy

Yorubas are intelligent and some will hinge on the bloc votes from the SE, add their support to PDP, and Agbaje will be home and dry .and they will make it look like the Igbos did it.

..Over intelligence is not good. grin
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 08, 2015
hopeforcharles:

what should i reply you? Well it seems u need another banning. I dnt have time to reply u. But i got this to say Ojukwu is one of the greatest Igbo man who live and his Ideas grows more till it will be impossible to subdue or silenced with that said you Ofe nma guys need be scared.
Osu, are u sure ur people wil let u marry a free woman frm ur tribe, cos it's like only unmarried osu slaves don remain?
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by hopeforcharles(m): 8:41am On Apr 08, 2015
Blastfinito:
Osu, are u sure ur people wil let u marry a free woman frm ur tribe, cos it's like only unmarried osu slaves don remain?
Trading words like market woman is beneath me, lol. It will be like ghost mode 2 u guys when ur Apc loses then from that time on u and ur obas will watch their slitering tounges. Cowards.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 08, 2015
We all know that,you think straight and not Flat.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by temi4fash(m): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2015
owobokiri:

I didn't want to dignify ur post with a response but in order to have a clear conscience and clear things. I would reply ur post.

Look before he became king he was a normal man like u and me but d dai he got coronated as an oba he became a representative of the gods in land and whatever he says become law. Dont belittle the office of the oba. he is more powerful than u think. just as u have oba of benin and the likes who u can disobey and talk to anyhow so is the same as him. he might make statements that are wrong but its not in ur place to tell him that. in yoruba land they believe the elderly dont lie. it does not mean it's right but its a believe system and it has been dere since your father was born. Now if u feel ur mind carry am go to his palace and let him curse u and sure even if Jesus would save u, u would suffer first. dont forget Bible say give unto ceasar what belong to ceasar and to God wat is to God.

So I implore you as u go about making statement at the front of ur screen type with courtesy.

Enjoy ur day bro and be rest assured u wont get a reply from me again.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Dannyset(m): 12:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
This assertion is very wrong in the sense that, APC can never use religious or tribal tool to ask for vote, especially when ur talking about Lagos. Yes, the number of Igbos with PVC can't be equal to the indigenes with PVC, but who told u all the Yorubas want to vote Ambode?
What u said up there is not even in the picture. Only one out of ur many words is correct and I won't want to point it out because I know of it somehow. That being said, Ambode was going to win, the race just got tighter. We are still winning it. For the fact that one thief called Ubah is even campaigning for Agbaje has killed the Chemist.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by stigman(m): 12:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
temi4fash:

That is the problem with ur people, suffering and smilling

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by alpontif(m): 5:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
temi4fash:

I didn't want to dignify ur post with a response but in order to have a clear conscience and clear things. I would reply ur post.

Look before he became king he was a normal man like u and me but d dai he got coronated as an oba he became a representative of the gods in land and whatever he says become law. Dont belittle the office of the oba. he is more powerful than u think. just as u have oba of benin and the likes who u can disobey and talk to anyhow so is the same as him. he might make statements that are wrong but its not in ur place to tell him that. in yoruba land they believe the elderly dont lie. it does not mean it's right but its a believe system and it has been dere since your father was born. Now if u feel ur mind carry am go to his palace and let him curse u and sure even if Jesus would save u, u would suffer first. dont forget Bible say give unto ceasar what belong to ceasar and to God wat is to God.

So I implore you as u go about making statement at the front of ur screen type with courtesy.

Enjoy ur day bro and be rest assured u wont get a reply from me again.

Hello, I agree with some of your views,but disagree with the major part. OBAs can be criticised, insulted, even disgraced and shamed in Yorubaland..It is part of our culture. Let me give you proofs.

I am a Yoruba guy, born,bred, brought up in the hinterland..and I know a lot of our culture and history learning at the feet of elders and sagacious grandparents. There is a yoruba proverb tha says ''O ku die ki a gbe ewi de akesan, Ni oba Ajaani terigbaso''..that is, it remained just a bit for us to bring the insultative poem to akesan market, then Ajaani the king Died. Ajaani was an Alaafin in the old oyo Empire, a very Incompetent one at that, minstrels were composing insulting songs and poems about him and singing it over Yorubaland, it was just when they entered Oyo, which is the capital, and about to enter the akesan market in the capital in order to continue with the songs, that was when a report wasbrought that the king has died. The proverb is used to illustrate that nobody is above insultive correction once you misbehave, ''agab ti o ba le kehun soro, o maa ketan sare''

Obas can be corrected by anybody, if they misbehave in Yorubaland.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Duru1(m): 5:17pm On Apr 09, 2015
totima:
Before I get jumped on by the tribal voltrons...please hear me out.

I remembered the Wall Street Journal article (abi na Financial Times?) that referenced Tinubu's machavellian approach to cinching the presidency and this got me thinking.

Contrary to what many believe, I suspect that the incriminating video excerpt of Lagos' Oba threatening Igbos was leaked by APC handlers...not PDP.

Think about this: in Lagos, there are more Yoruba pvc holders than Igbo. Whether Igbos like it or not this is an irrefutable fact (as for the why...population dynamics + the power of the incumbency to ensure yoruba owned pvcs are released to the public compared with non-Yorubas).

This election is actually about shifting + securing the Yoruba vote...and nothing guarantees this more that inciting a little tribalism. What better way to do this than by using the Igbos as pawns in an exciting Igbo vs Yoruba battle?

They release something from a Yoruba figurehead to offend Igbo sensibilities, have them react with vitriol towards Yorubas and in turn, have Yorubas vote APC out of tribal retaliation. Tribalism is Nigeria's opium and Igbos and Yorubas sucked the drama out of this episode like a man who,,re guzzling on puzzy juice (xcuse my french).

Prior to the recent turn of events, I didn't believe that the Lagos elections would have a high turnout. Nigerians were still in the honeymoon phase of Buhari's election and weren't THAT interested. And there were legitimate concerns that PDP's Jimi Agbaje would give Ambode a run for his money among Yoruba voters.

This saga was the game changer that APC needed.

SMART MOVE.

Igbos fell for the bait and the Yoruba masses will fall in proper position, as planned.

I must admit that Yoruba leaders (emphasis on Yoruba LEADERS. The general population are a malleable lot and exhibit nigger.ism just like their equally dumb Igbo counterparts) are masters of political manipulation. Something that Igbo leaders sorely lack. Could it be the years of palace intrigues in the heyday of slave empires of oyo, ife, etc?

I don't see this among the hausa-fulani aristocracy and I guess this stems from the survival tactics employed by Yoruba courthands since Obas were more disposable than Emirs.

I will look to the results of this weekend's elections to confirm my suspicions.

I may be watching too many episodes of Revenge (love me some Emily Thorne vs Victoria Grayson mindgames grin....season 4 sucks though), BUT think about this.

I guess the essence of loudmouth is incredibly inherent among the Yoruba. For 16 years past, PDP which is supported by Ndiigbo has celebrated the death of four political parties from Yoruba land and there was no time the issue of shrewdness surfaced. Simply because APC, a composition of Islamic and tribal parties in Nigeria won a rigged out presidential election and silly boneheaded comment from consummate fraud called Oba of Lagos, smartness of Yoruba ethnicity shone like a lone northern star.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Ikengawo: 5:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
Lol Jimi Agbaje is igbo? Which Igbo is contesting? Yoruba eh. Chie
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Code213: 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2015
Richhard:
Absurd,but making sense!

smiley It makes a lot of sense. It may not have been pre-planned, but the ripple effect will encourage Yorubas to vote against 'Agbaje' to prove a point to Igbos that Lagos is Yorubaland. As a matter of fact, the Igbo votes will split more now than it was in the presidential elections. Some businessmen do not want any trouble in Lagos o! They will prefer Ambode wins to let peace reign. Whether Ambode or Agbaje, it doesn't really change much to them.

italo:
Ambode anD APC always had the upperhanD in Lagos.
If the Oba's rant does anything, it galvanizes the neutral undecided votes towards Agbaje and PDP, especially Igbos and other non-Yorubas. Also Yoruba votes are divided while Igbo votes aren't.
I think the Oba has just made the race tighter than it should have been.
Tribalism is always foolish in the end.

Are you adding Hausas to that your 'Non-Yoruba' equation? Sorry o!! Those guys only recognize one acronym -APC. I wish Agbaje was the APC aspirant, but since he isn't, all i can wish him is 'goodluck'.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by dealslip(f): 12:31pm On Apr 11, 2015
While you are at each others throat please read fromt he linkbelow

https://www.nairaland.com/302365/fayemiwo-ibb-killed-abiola-abacha/1
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by jimi4us: 12:33pm On Apr 11, 2015

Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 4:42am On Apr 12, 2015
So from all indications I WAS right.

It looks like APC has found a winning formula for elections outside the SE. Good one!

Simply play on the typical Nigerian hatred for Igbos plus Igbos post-war instinct for self preservation, throw in key words of tribalism and watch the nigg.ers fight! grin

My theory isn't full-proof, so we'll have to wait until the next election season to vet me.

Until next time. wink
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by ElekeNtioba: 5:32am On Apr 12, 2015
Very absurd reasoning. Buhari didnt need any of that win. If APC wins this election it would be around d same margin as d presidential election.

If actually APC did it, then they made a huge gamble dat could backfire in d long run. Oba's gaffe has made many apolitical Igbos to start taking interest in Lagos politics. This could lead to a rise in pvc collected by Igbos by the next election and u know what dat means.
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by ElekeNtioba: 5:35am On Apr 12, 2015
totima:
So from all indications I WAS right.

It looks like APC has found a winning formula for elections outside the SE. Good one!

Simply play on the typical Nigerian hatred for Igbos plus Igbos post-war instinct for self preservation, throw in key words of tribalism and watch the nigg.ers fight! grin

My theory isn't full-proof, so we'll have to wait until the next election season to vet me.

Until next time. wink

where did u leave ur brain??
Re: Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 12, 2015
jcmaiah:
Please you people should stop making so much noise about this Tinubu. That election was that way because the man in power wasn't willing to throw this country into chaos. You think if it was any other person that bihari will win? Please snap out of that trance. I don't see any tactics that is of the ordinary from APC. The greatest breakthrough is their opponent was not really keen on clinching the power.
Bros just the videos of all those small boys is enough for Jonathan to upturn the whole thing and cancel the election.
Let Tinubu repeat that his prowess in this gubernatorial elections.
He should have tried not to concede! If the place nah im papa birthright we go know. Is either he leaves peacefully or forced out. The Gbagbo angle can be replayed in naija.

(1) (2) (Reply)

25000 PDP Members In RIVERS State Defect To APC. / Wounded Sheikh Zakzaky's Picture after His Arrest by the NA / If Northern Nigeria Is A Country Of Its Own Without The West And S/East?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.