Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,548 members, 7,861,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:21 PM

Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe (719 Views)

Hilda Ibifuro-Harrison Is Ondo's Police Commissioner (photos) / Was Kimo, Rivers Police Commissioner Sleeping During A Security Meeting? Photo / Mimiko Received N2 Billion To Rig Elections, Former Commissioner Alleges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by earTHMama: 9:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
Student sues police commissioner, alleges N500,000 bribe

A student, Dare Olaiya, has dragged the Commissioner of Police, Osun State Command, before an Ile-Ife High Court for allegedly demanding a bribe of N500, 000 from him in order to set him free from an alleged murder charge.

According to an affidavit in support filed on behalf of Olaiya by an Osogbo-based law firm, Atirene Wilson Chambers, the applicant claimed that he did not commit any murder.

He, however, alleged that he was implicated by the police after he refused to part with the money.

A woman was said to have been allegedly murdered in Ife area of Osun State last December during a robbery.

A friend of Olaiya, Adeboye Oluwaseun, who is the first accused person, was also charged for partaking in the robbery that led to the murder.

The police reportedly swooped in on the friends and acquaintances of Oluwaseun, among whom is Olaiya, who was arrested inside a church in Ile-Ife at a service held during the week on December 4, 2008.

The affidavit said a minor, during police interrogation, had absolved Olaiya of complicity in the robbery and murder by saying that he did not see Olaiya at the scene of the robbery.

The affidavit reads in part, "That on the day in question, the said Adeboye Oluwaseun had visited the house of the applicant (Olaiya) and when informed that the applicant had gone to the church, he decided to join him there.

"Adeboye Olawaseun was arrested on his way to the church and when asked where he was going to, he said that he was going to join the applicant in the church.

"The police in their usual fashion of trying to arrest as many people as possible, came to the church, held up the entire congregation with guns, notwithstanding the fact that it was only the applicant that was known to the said Adeboye Oluwaseun."

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/27/408.html
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Jan 27, 2009
Now this is a real human being who knows his right. There is hope !!
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Now this is a real human being who knows his right. There is hope !!

One real human being out of over 140 million human beings? I wish to draw some hope from wherever or whoever inspires your hope.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
For this to happen in Nigeria, it is a big deal. I mean we hear of such things taken place in other countries but in Nigeria? there is definitely hope and only God knows how soon before we start reading more news of people refusing to pay bribe to the police or at the post office or any government office in the hundreds, and maybe in the thousands. lol . Me I dey watch the trend down there to see if time done reach make person come back come stand up against all these corrupt people we get for government and leadership all over the country. The last thing all man want be say make im reach naija, waka sey im dey go confront one leader or politician, make the people take stab am for back as soon as im turn to face the person im wan confront.

If there is anything I am most afraid of when it comes to Nigeria, it is the people, not the government.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by earTHMama: 10:38pm On Jan 27, 2009
For this to happen in Nigeria, it is a big deal. I mean we hear of such things taken place in other countries but in Nigeria? there is definitely hope and only God knows how soon before we start reading more news of people refusing to pay bribe to the police or at the post office or any government office in the hundreds, and maybe in the thousands. lol . Me I dey watch the trend down there to see if time done reach make person come back come stand up against all these corrupt people we get for government and leadership all over the country. The last thing all man want be say make im reach naija, waka sey im dey go confront one leader or politician, make the people take stab am for back as soon as im turn to face the person im wan confront.

If there is anything I am most afraid of when it comes to Nigeria, it is the people, not the government.
Spot on.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

For  this to happen in Nigeria, it is a big deal. I mean we hear of such things taken place in other countries but in Nigeria? there is definitely hope and only God knows how soon before we start reading more news of people refusing to pay bribe to the police or at the post office or any government office in the hundreds, and maybe in the thousands. lol . Me I dey watch the trend down there to see if time done reach make person come back come stand up against all these corrupt people we get for government and leadership all over the country. The last thing all man want be say make im reach naija, waka sey im dey go confront one leader or politician, make the people take stab am for back as soon as im turn to face the person im wan confront.

You are right, but i wont be surprised if some "naysayers"/most nigerians label the young man an enemy of progress.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by earTHMama: 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2009
You are right, but i wont be surprised if some "naysayers"/most nigerians label the young man an enemy of progress.
Nobody is labeling him anything. He is a hero and from Osun state for that matter.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2009
earTHMama:

Nobody is labeling him anything. He is a hero and from Osun state for that matter.

Wait until i_laugh and co come across this news.
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by mustafar1: 10:46pm On Jan 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Kobo, i'll email you chunky soup for that single statement. i was in naija last month and anytime i opened my mouth. i hear, "o ro wipe NY ni o wa abi" my response is, wat is good for John Doe is gooder for John Bull.

simple Egun, if i get into my Voltron mode and decide to make something my business. would i get some back up when its obvious its for our own good or would i be thrown under the bus and appoint one of them to back the bus up over me a few times?
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Jan 27, 2009
must_a_far:

Kobo, i'll email you chunky soup for that single statement. i was in naija last month and anytime i opened my mouth. i hear, "o ro wipe NY ni o wa abi" my response is, wat is good for John Doe is gooder for John Bull.

simple Egun, if i get into my Voltron mode and decide to make something my business. would i get some back up when its obvious its for our own good or would they throw me under the bus and appoint one of them to back the bus up over me a few times?

I vote the later . . . .roflmao!! It has been done to me, twice for that matter. That is why I would rather wait this time around before it turns out to be my last. .  . roflmao!!!

These ones wey dey here they tell you say you no suppose talk because you no dey for ground to see am as they expect you to. Wait till you enter naija, na dem go try make sure you no get rest at all sey you come back. ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Student Sues Police Commissioner, Alleges N500,000 Bribe by earTHMama: 10:54pm On Jan 27, 2009
Wait until i_laugh and co come across this news.
Why should I care about what that igbo slowpoke has to say?

(1) (Reply)

Quick Smart Project. / What Is Next For Agagu? Should He Go To Jail Or Left Alone? / World Election-Vote For The Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.