Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? (974 Views)

Buhari Visits Eheneden Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin (Photos) / Militants Threaten To Attack Niger-Delta Governors / Caption This Photo Of Fashola And Tinubu Staring At The Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by danieljune(m): 2:51pm On Apr 12, 2015
Finally, the day of the Gubernatorial elections are here. A day when the Oba of Lagos said the Igbos in Lagos would drown in the lagoos if they didn't vote for his personally handpicked candidate, Ambode Akinwunmi.
The culture of using position in society to sway votes is new to a lot of Nigerians who despite past antecedents, believed ion used to voting from their own hearts.
A threat like this to people of a certain ethnic group could be seen as a reflection of tribalism to say the least.
As much as it really shouldn't hold sway on who the Igbos vote for, the question is, Should the Oba of Lagos have threatened them?
Lets find out what people have to say about this.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by excellentmomma(f): 2:52pm On Apr 12, 2015
No, he shouldn't have. The outburst was too emotional, I'm sure if he knew the video would go viral like that, he wuda toned down his speech. Forget all the defense, under closed doors he would have apologized to someone, just one person, maybe his most beloved wife or son. Lolz! "My dear, u know dats not me....., I was just angry...., you know these Omo Igbos can push someone to get hbp, na dem cause am...., I'm sorry". Hahahaha. 'cos the oba looks like a lover boi.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by jantofubu(m): 2:57pm On Apr 12, 2015
utterly wrong
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by raumdeuter: 3:02pm On Apr 12, 2015
It was very right

Oba is the custodian of lagos tradition and when some visitors are hell bent on going against the tradition he needs to read them the riot act

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 12, 2015
Are we still on this?

The Oba made a terrible blunder which he has been condemned for. I'm sure he has taken those words back, let's leave the senile oba and move to something constructive please.

Not like any igbo has been drowned In d lagoon, abeg give d Man a break biko! angry

2 Likes

Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by MalcoImX: 3:11pm On Apr 12, 2015
The reference to the lagoon swallowing all those working against the interest of Lagos is a cultural thing. It shouldn't be taken literally as somebody trying to deny others life. The Obas and people of Lagos have used and will continue to use the phrase. So, why is it an issue when the Oba reminded the Igbos of the cultural ethos and metaphors of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Rose2014: 3:13pm On Apr 12, 2015
raumdeuter:
It was very right

Oba is the custodian of lagos tradition and when some visitors are hell bent on going against the tradition he needs to read them the riot act

Chai if this is how u truly feel then Buhari should be fast with this 5k per month cos u really need it before frustration kills u
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Rose2014: 3:15pm On Apr 12, 2015
MalcoImX:
The reference to the lagoon swallowing all those working against the interest of Lagos is a cultural thing. It shouldn't be taken literally as somebody trying to deny others life. The Obas and people of Lagos have used and will continue to use the phrase. So, why is it an issue when the Oba reminded the Igbos of the cultural ethos and metaphors of Lagos.
Maybe you need to watch the video again cheesy
Oba wasn't referencing anything o
He even swore to Allah sef while threatening Lagoon genocide embarassed

Metaphor ko, comic relief ni cheesy cheesy
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 12, 2015
Ofcourse it wasn't right! duh!
If he felt igbos were going against the rules n regulations of Lagos, there are better ways to caution them instead of threatening them!
What kind of a leader is he Mtchewww
yeye dey smell.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by rebranded(m): 3:28pm On Apr 12, 2015
Issue is gone and forgotten!

Thread closed!
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by dunkem21(m): 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2015
angry

Rose2014:

grin

1 Like

Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by MalcoImX: 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2015
Rose2014:

The Sovereign may here and there use a little whip to keep people in line. But largely it was a cordial gathering with laughs and even singing.
|
Honestly, we always fall by literally translating what shouldn't have been. You know the Buhari's, 'Dogs and baboons soaked in blood' is still viewed by many to mean to shed blood, while in all sincerity it only means "a hotly contested race."

If we don't understand other people's tradition and ways, it's better to ask them. My inability to understand, for example, the Igbo personality always makes me to have an open space, though I may argue insistingly, in the hope that the other view may be seen.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by quickly: 3:38pm On Apr 12, 2015
if i say 2 u go and hug transformer if your really foolish will u go and hug transformer.

E ma soro ju ejo
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Rose2014: 3:43pm On Apr 12, 2015
MalcoImX:
The Sovereign may here and there use a little whip to keep people in line. But largely it was a cordial gathering with laughs and even singing.
|
Honestly, we always fall by literally translating what shouldn't have been. You know the Buhari's, 'Dogs and baboons soaked in blood' is still viewed by many to mean to shed blood, while in all sincerity it only means "a hotly contested race."

If we don't understand other people's tradition and ways, it's better to ask them. My inability to understand, for example, the Igbo personality always makes me to have an open space, though I may argue insistingly, in the hope that the other view may be seen.
U made some good points. On my part, I have elders in my family so I understand idioms and proverbs when used however when an Oba(from a supposed sacred throne) swears to Allah, licks his finger n raises it, while threatening genocide, his stance is no longer proverbial
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by LFJ: 3:54pm On Apr 12, 2015
Oba was very wrong, very very wrong, and many people condemned him. But Igbo people are going too far by distrepecting and attacking the Oba. Igbos need to understand that Oba of Lagos is the head of the community that host them and for that alone he deserves their respect.

Yoruba people will not allow foreigners to come and disrespect their Obas; if Igbo can equally understand that no matter how giant or successful in a foreign land, you cannot be greater than the owner of the land.

1 Like

Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by MalcoImX: 4:00pm On Apr 12, 2015
Rose2014:

U made some good points. On my part, I have elders in my family so I understand idioms and proverbs when used however when an Oba(from a supposed sacred throne) swears to Allah, licks his finger n raises it, while threatening genocide, his stance is no longer proverbial

And you believed in this age that there's an Oba whose office is regulated under the constitution that can herd people and push them into a water. Better believe it, the lagoon is a cultural reference applicable to anybody (not just Igbo) seen to be working against the interest of Eko.

Do you believe this view also? The general belief in the north was that nobody hated them like Ojukwu, but it's on record that he had a child with a northern woman, and even left an inheritance for the child.

Life is discovery. We "may" all be wrong, you know.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Dominionng(m): 4:00pm On Apr 12, 2015
I presume an apology should be in order. Plain and simple! Comic, frustration or pride to justify those words even make it worse.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by WisdomFlakes: 4:04pm On Apr 12, 2015
rebranded:
Issue is gone and forgotten!

Thread closed!

No o. Trust militant igbos to overflog it till it backfires, even after most Yorubas had condemned the Oba's speech. Heck, a lot of Yorubas like myself don't honestly give a f.uc.k right now if they still feel pained. If they really wanna show they are still angry they should pack up and relocate to the SE, afterall they are so "great" a people that they can "make it" there too, or they can willingly jump into the lagoon at this point for all I care. Whiny lil' bit.ches.
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Nnemuka(f): 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2015
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Babalegba(m): 4:15pm On Apr 12, 2015
Oba was wrong but ibos are troublemakers
Re: Was It Right For The Oba Of Lagos To Threaten The Igbos? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 12, 2015
Oba ba Lori gbogbo nnkan,so he is right.

(1) (Reply)

Message To All South Africans!!! (7mins Video) / Memos To GMB: No 2 - Revenue / BREAKING: Jonathan's Aide, Orubebe Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.