Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,396 members, 7,812,164 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice (7752 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri) / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by manck2: 10:51pm On Apr 12, 2015
Itsekiri is yoruba. It is a dialet like ilaje
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 12, 2015
Tell that to my Itsekiri friends. Nonsense
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by crownprince102: 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2015
The first time I heard an Itsekiri man speak, I was partially understand Itsekiri language. It quite related to Yoruba. Igala, Edo are also related

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by manck2: 2:28am On Apr 13, 2015
Which your itsekiri friend is that. You have no itsekiri friend. If your friend is itsekiri if. He will tell you hé is yoruba. Have you ever seen an itsekiri before who does not under stand yoruba. No.
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by tit(f): 2:30am On Apr 13, 2015
One day yyebo will claim they are yoruba.
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by manck2: 2:34am On Apr 13, 2015

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by manck2: 2:36am On Apr 13, 2015
You ask any yoruba to listen to this video. They will tell they understand what they say

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by OneNaira6: 2:45am On Apr 13, 2015
I'm from delta state, grew up among iteskiri. The only people that believe iteskiri are Yoruba are Yoruba. The only place where you hear iteskiri are yoruba or iteskiri claiming yoruba are usually on this forum or una SW media. Iteskiri people actually get offended when you call them yoruba incase una didn't know.
Remember during the last confab, how you yoruba claimed using your media that the Itsekiri asked for SW to represent them in the confab. When they were discluded from delta reps due to una lies, recall how they threw temper tantrum requesting to be included and informed everyone they never made the request Yoloba tried to sell. Out of shame, una used your media once more to try and claim the lady that was fighting for the inclusion of itsekiri in delta reps went to Ibadan declared how she and her ppl are yoruba. Shamefully, that same woman was having a rally in warri, delta state the same day she was supposedly in ibadan according to yoruba media.
Go on youtube, there was actually an iteskiri girl that did that Nigerian tag thing. If she hasn't deleted her video like most nigerian tag participants, watch her video. I remember exactly what she said when asked what was her tribe, she said and quote "I'm actually not from the three big tribes in Nigeria. I'm Itsekiri. We are located in delta state."

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by yuio33: 3:11am On Apr 13, 2015
L
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by ademusiwa7: 3:13am On Apr 13, 2015
[size=28pt]The flag of independent country of the kingdom of the kingdomWestern Nigeria[/size]

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Funjosh(m): 7:15am On Apr 13, 2015
A lot still to be learned.
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 13, 2015
Hey guy don't mislead people here. I am Itsekiri myself and we Itsekiri are from the same Yoruba stock.

Itsekiri, speaks the old traditional Ijebu dialect. If you have time you can read this to know more about Itsekiri and see the similarities between Yoruba and Itsekiri language. http://ngr.ng/itsekiri-enlightenment/

OneNaira6:
I'm from delta state, grew up among iteskiri. The only people that believe iteskiri are Yoruba are Yoruba. The only place where you hear iteskiri are yoruba or iteskiri claiming yoruba are usually on this forum or una SW media. Iteskiri people actually get offended when you call them yoruba incase una didn't know.
Remember during the last confab, how you yoruba claimed using your media that the Itsekiri asked for SW to represent them in the confab. When they were discluded from delta reps due to una lies, recall how they threw temper tantrum requesting to be included and informed everyone they never made the request Yoloba tried to sell. Out of shame, una used your media once more to try and claim the lady that was fighting for the inclusion of itsekiri in delta reps went to Ibadan declared how she and her ppl are yoruba. Shamefully, that same woman was having a rally in warri, delta state the same day she was supposedly in ibadan according to yoruba media.
Go on youtube, there was actually an iteskiri girl that did that Nigerian tag thing. If she hasn't deleted her video like most nigerian tag participants, watch her video. I remember exactly what she said when asked what was her tribe, she said and quote "I'm actually not from the three big tribes in Nigeria. I'm Itsekiri. We are located in delta state."

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by OneNaira6: 9:08am On Apr 13, 2015
Adrian007:
Hey guy don't mislead people here. I am Itsekiri myself and we Itsekiri are from the same Yoruba stock.

Itsekiri, speaks the old traditional Ijebu dialect. If you have time you can read this to know more about Itsekiri and see the similarities between Yoruba and Itsekiri language. http://ngr.ng/itsekiri-enlightenment/

Like i said only on NL and yoruba media do you hear an iteskiri claiming yoruba. There's No doubt in my mind that you are yoruba from SW. Continue claiming iteskiri online, I really don't care cause it won't change how they identify themselves in delta aka real life. Anyway Good luck. Adios.

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by scholes0(m): 12:20pm On Apr 13, 2015
OneNaira6:

Like i said only on NL and yoruba media do you hear an iteskiri claiming yoruba. There's No doubt in my mind that you are yoruba from SW. Continue claiming iteskiri online, I really don't care cause it won't change how they identify themselves in delta aka real life. Anyway Good luck. Adios.

Itsekiri don't actually call themselves Yoruba, they have a distinct identity, that developed in relative isolation from other Yoruba tribes....
However, they are very well aware that they are a Yoruba offshoot. Do you know for example that the British colonialists in Nigeria pre-Independence classifies Warri as a Yoruba Kingdom? it was called "Yoruba state of Warri" under the designation of cultural areas of Nigeria. It's Capital was Ode Ishekiri/Ode Iwerre. If the Mid-Western state hadn't been carved out of the Western region, itsekiris would be calling themselves Yoruba today, like the Owos, Ondos, Ijebus, Ilajes and Ikales who speak the same Yoruba dialect as them.

Ask yourself if Ayo Oritsejafo, Omawumi and Oritsefemi could As well be Yoruba... if your answer is yes, then the rest is story ....
Their names like Eyituoyo (Eyitayo), Temisan, Abidemi, Ariyo, Modokpe, Oritsebemigho (Oluwabamiwo), Eyiwumi, Eyimofe or Mofe, (What I want), Mayomi/Yomi, Mejebi, Omademi, Omadeli, Sholaye, Eyinmisan, Ukubeyinje, Omagbemi, Sheyi Et.c are all purely Yoruba .......

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by manck2: 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2015
Itsekiri is not ijebu... Itsekiri sound close to ondo state

Where did you get that from.. It is the many lies by Awolowo (osibanjo father inalw.) he was into many 419 like osibanjo

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by scholes0(m): 11:10am On Apr 14, 2015
Ijebu and Ondo state local dialects fall in the same cluster of Yoruba. If you have heard people from Ogun waterside and people from Ilaje speak, there is virtually no difference. And that is where the Itsekiri came from.
Itsekiri isn't even a language. It is a Yoruba dialect. Just listen to this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3oCO09-pQY

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by scholes0(m): 1:01pm On Apr 14, 2015
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Nobody: 1:05am On Apr 15, 2015
tit:
One day yyebo will claim they are yoruba.
keep dreaming
Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Tseks1: 2:27am On Jul 08, 2016
I realise this post is old, but I must add... OneNaira6 is correct about the itsekiri people. We do not identify as Yoruba we identify as Itsekiri.
For whomever the guy saying he is Itsekiri and Yoruba, Itsekiri is my actual surname!
Those of us born outside of Africa in Europe and born in Delta state do not say we are Yoruba nor do we accept this.
We also do not speak the same dialect as nobody. There is no dialect to our language.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by aribisala0(m): 8:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
A more correct claim is that Itsekiri and Yoruba are both different branches of the same tree

More accurately there was no language called Yoruba before Precolonial times e.g Ijebu or Ekiti would NEVER calll themselves Yoruba

That term was usually reserved for Oyo. These were alll different kingdoms on their ownhence the description of Oyo as an empire.

I suspect that the Oyo or northern Yorubas are a different stock from the Yorubas who inhabited the riverine areas originally and many were driven out hundreds of years ago by arrivalls from Ife.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice by Ilaje1: 11:11pm On Nov 16, 2017
Tseks1:
I realise this post is old, but I must add... OneNaira6 is correct about the itsekiri people. We do not identify as Yoruba we identify as Itsekiri.
For whomever the guy saying he is Itsekiri and Yoruba, Itsekiri is my actual surname!
Those of us born outside of Africa in Europe and born in Delta state do not say we are Yoruba nor do we accept this.
We also do not speak the same dialect as nobody. There is no dialect to our language.

You don't like to be called Yoruba because of your hatred for the Yorubas. However, you lang is a Yoruba dialect, very very similar to the Ilaje. Both Ilaje and Itsekiri will great ero wuro, ero oghan etc for good morning, after noon etc. Although, we the younger generation (50 downward) has been influenced by main Yoruba language like sayina An kaaro for good morning.

Omawunmi cld be either Ilaje or itsekiri; Jose pronounced "jor-se" with e as in eja can be either Itsekiri or Ilaje; orisabinone while itsekiri will use oritse. In fact I met an Itsekiri man before, he was speaking itsekiri and I replied in Ilaje. We both understood each other because the languages are more of the same with litte or minimal difference. Omasola and omatsola. Enough of my preamble.

Been born in Delta state has no meaning because delta is not an ethnic group. It's just a name given to a state after combining the people from different ethnic group. While Urogbo and Ijaws are distinct, Itsekiri is not. Was ur state not under Bendel before? Does that make you a benin man? Some part of ilaje is in Ogun state, which pple some refers to as Ijebu water side (not like there are no Ijebu in that area); does that make the Ilajes Ijebu?

While Ilaje and Itsekiri are very similar, Owo and Ijebu(apart from their singing intonation) are similar to Ilaje and Itsekiri.

An itsekiri man that understand Itsekiri will understand Ilaje and Yoruba. All these Itsekiri language is not related to anything is politically motivated. The earlier u stopped deceiving yourself the better for you.

26 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Ijaw Proverbs / Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers / Seadog Confraternity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.