Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? (1516 Views)

Abeokuta Ranked Fourth Worst City To Live In Africa / Tourism: Ikogosi Warm Springs Ekiti (new Pics/video) / Tourism In Nigeria - Top 30 Exciting Destinations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by SexyChic05(f): 10:16am On Apr 13, 2015
Travel Africa Story has launched its online portal in two leading African countries, South Africa and Nigeria.

Given the rich culture and tradition of these countries, Travel Africa Story aims to sell the tourism, travel adventures, culture, food and destination potential of South Africa and Nigeria to the rest of the world.

I believe there should be a portal online that should address travel issues and also showcase the beauty of African tourism.

Let me know what you think should be improved in the tourism sector in Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Gambia and other African countries.

Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 13, 2015
Do we know abt it in Nigeria? But it's a good idea to help the country if we can work on the tourism industry.. I will be encouraged o and be impress to be part of the team to work in these sector
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by DuchessLily(f): 10:40am On Apr 13, 2015
adeekiti:
Do we know abt it in Nigeria? But it's a good idea to help the country if we can work on the tourism industry.. I will be encouraged o and be impress to be part of the team to work in these sector

Same here. I love tourism

And Nigeria is really blessed and endowed with Tourist attractionss.

Our security system has to be taken good care of b4 tourism in naija will improve
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 13, 2015
DuchessLily:

Same here. I love tourism

And Nigeria is really blessed and endowed with Tourist attractionss.

Our security system has to be taken good care of b4 tourism in naija will improve
security issues shouldn't be a problem cause it will never make tourism be acknowledged in Nigeria, let's set a target fr this, expand and educate people on this , then once te government show more interest in tourism them even the security issues will be tackled but the problem is that, we don't want to start anything and it won't solve the issues of dis country, we keep shouting security and yet nothing is done so far but let government invest and u will see how they will protect it since their money is involve
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by eleganteunice: 10:49am On Apr 13, 2015
I think the tourism industry is a trillion dollar industry that is yet untapped in Africa.
Questions to Ask Yourself
When you are looking for your true passion because you seek happiness in your life or that there is a gap you need to fill there are many questions you need to ask yourself.
By carefully answering these questions will help you understand more about yourself and possibly what might be holding yourself back from being happy and pursuing your passions. Here are many questions you should ask yourself. You might want to get out a notepad to answer these questions or just make a mental note.
Continue reading @ [url]euniceamede.com[/url]

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by worry357: 11:01am On Apr 13, 2015
There will NEVER be a serious tourist industry in Africa untill there is a stable political and security situation.
There are many people willing to pay large sums of money to visit historic African sites.
They do not visit because of terrorist groups killing and kidnapping.
If it is not islamist groups then it is local bandits or area boys.
There is no interest in visiting places where people do not feel safe, so they stay away.
Also the health problems and dirty food is not acceptable to modern people.
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by DuchessLily(f): 11:06am On Apr 13, 2015
adeekiti:
security issues shouldn't be a problem cause it will never make tourism be acknowledged in Nigeria, let's set a target fr this, expand and educate people on this , then once te government show more interest in tourism them even the security issues will be tackled but the problem is that, we don't want to start anything and it won't solve the issues of dis country, we keep shouting security and yet nothing is done so far but let government invest and u will see how they will protect it since their money is involve

Nobody from other rich country would want to come to naija just for tourism, without knowing first dat he or she would be safe... So security is very important still, dats why we talk abt it.

We have so many govt tourism programmes dat are on but can't thrive cos of security and our govt dnt seem to care much
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 13, 2015
DuchessLily:

Nobody from other rich country would want to come to naija just for tourism, without knowing first dat he or she would be safe... So security is very important still, dats why we talk abt it.

We have so many govt tourism programmes dat are on but can't thrive cos of security and our govt dnt seem to care much
ma
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by Curiouscity(m): 8:57pm On Apr 13, 2015
Aside foreigners, we Nigerians can develop the tourism industry. When last did you visit any beach, any water fall, mountains etc. There are so many sites in Nigeria, but we take it for granted. We don't visit them or even appreciate them. How would a foreigner come to visit? I wish we ourselves should start appreciating God's given gifts to us.

The security threat is very real!! Laziness and greed have turned most youths into criminals. Any stranger they see in their area is harassed and exploited if not kidnapped.
Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by 19naia(m): 3:51am On Apr 14, 2015
The first thing to do when you are looking to have guest enter your house, is to open the gate and stand aside to let them enter..

Did you know that Nigeria is among many African countries that require a tedious visa application process that takes time, money and dealing with offputting consulate personnel...And more so than any serious tourism oriented nation.. Nigerian visa policy is almost borderline of absolute deterance to tourists...

All the countries that take tourism seriously, have a visa waiver or visa on arrival policy that allows people from europe , america, australia and middle east to just fly in with no prior approval and be stamped in gratuitously... Of course the host countries reserve the right to inspect the tourist to validate that the tourist have the money to spend during their stay... Places like Thailand and Peru are so flooded with tourist, that money is just raining for any national there who invest in tourist services... Thailand is so full of tourist that it is like a plague for them already..

As Usual ,Nigeria is talking and no sensible action.. Not even the basic sense to simply open the gate and stand aside to let tourist in.. CHANGE TOURIST VISA POLICY to allow visa waivered entry to Nigeria even if with a fee of $25 or less... Many nations have no fees while others charge a $15 exit fee and some up to $35... At the very least, some difficult nations dont require the expensive task of going in person to the nearest consulate... Nigerian consulate visit can cost hotel fees, transport fees and that added to the $130 plus for the actual visa.. So if the consulate appointment is not fumbked by the consulate and rescheduled, it can cost many people over $500 just to get the visa in hand and then add the cost to fly to Nigeria and stay... The majority of tourist will be pressed to spend $500 and all that time and effort just to visit a place already carrying a bad reputation.. So they carry their money to Thailand or Peru or elsewhere with more allure...
Nigeria is over priced in the blind rush for chop and chop, they dont realize they are asking so much for so little offered in comparison to well developed tourist nations..

Also, most tourist friendly nations allow only specific nationals visa waived entry, and its of course the nations where people easily have disposable income to travel.. Countries like Canada, USA, European Union, Japanese, australians, and others...

Even with Nigerias Bad reputation, you will be surprised how many tourist will show up any way if the entry process is free of all the trouble and burdens.. Many are looking for an unbeaten path and even the excitement of surviving places that their fellow nationals warn them to stay clear of... They love to go back and have a good story of "entering the mouth of the beast " and returning to tell the tale... Adventure is what tourism is about for most tourists, and many want their adventure to be a risk...
Once the brave few come and return, they wil spread the word and woo others to try it... Many popular tourist nations have tourist being killed and kidnapped and still more tourist come although their numbers decrease until good reputation is proven in time..

Open the gate and they will enter... As of now Nigeria has a closed door policy and you must first apply to even knock before even showing up at the door, and then must go for the face to face interview after paying a good sum and waiting a good while and enduring rude and often incompetent service...
South-Africa has an Open door policy already in place for Americans and europeans and SA benefits by it...

Me? I will never go into any business where my customer must ask permission to enter and then pay to ask that permission and then travel far and incur hotel and travel cost just to find out if the customer is granted permission or not.. And only then they can come and enter my place which already has reputation of not being worth the trip when compared to many other options? Why bother with nigeria when Thailand is so much more exotic and no need ask or pay to enter??

OPEN D GATE AND STEP ASIDE..GOOD THINGS WILL COME AND ENTER...

Trust me, i have been to 17 countries already and 15 of them as a tourist with no need to get a visa prior to entry... I met so many americans and europeans and australians and Japanese and more.. They were travelling in philippines even when it had a reputation as kidnap capital of the world with muslim terrorist before the time of boko haram... Nicaragua with its reputation of being war torn and full of bandits and thugs... Mexico with its reputation of the deadliest drug cartels... Honduras with the title of the worlds Murder capital...
The avid tourist knows that even the worst places have safe zones.. Also when these tourist nations start recieving tourist, they start to guide and protect their tourist by steering them away from area boy territory, terrorist regions and the places of bad reputation... Eventually those who service tourist with honor, they will grow their enterprise and seed a new reputation and encourage others to be more hospitable and the stream of tourism will make even street hustling easier for the average Nigerian..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by SexyChic05(f): 2:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
Lovely idea.. This is key

19naia:
The first thing to do when you are looking to have guest enter your house, is to open the gate and stand aside to let them enter..

Did you know that Nigeria is among many African countries that require a tedious visa application process that takes time, money and dealing with offputting consulate personnel...And more so than any serious tourism oriented nation.. Nigerian visa policy is almost borderline of absolute deterance to tourists...

All the countries that take tourism seriously, have a visa waiver or visa on arrival policy that allows people from europe , america, australia and middle east to just fly in with no prior approval and be stamped in gratuitously... Of course the host countries reserve the right to inspect the tourist to validate that the tourist have the money to spend during their stay... Places like Thailand and Peru are so flooded with tourist, that money is just raining for any national there who invest in tourist services... Thailand is so full of tourist that it is like a plague for them already..

As Usual ,Nigeria is talking and no sensible action.. Not even the basic sense to simply open the gate and stand aside to let tourist in.. CHANGE TOURIST VISA POLICY to allow visa waivered entry to Nigeria even if with a fee of $25 or less... Many nations have no fees while others charge a $15 exit fee and some up to $35... At the very least, some difficult nations dont require the expensive task of going in person to the nearest consulate... Nigerian consulate visit can cost hotel fees, transport fees and that added to the $130 plus for the actual visa.. So if the consulate appointment is not fumbked by the consulate and rescheduled, it can cost many people over $500 just to get the visa in hand and then add the cost to fly to Nigeria and stay... The majority of tourist will be pressed to spend $500 and all that time and effort just to visit a place already carrying a bad reputation.. So they carry their money to Thailand or Peru or elsewhere with more allure...
Nigeria is over priced in the blind rush for chop and chop, they dont realize they are asking so much for so little offered in comparison to well developed tourist nations..

Also, most tourist friendly nations allow only specific nationals visa waived entry, and its of course the nations where people easily have disposable income to travel.. Countries like Canada, USA, European Union, Japanese, australians, and others...

Even with Nigerias Bad reputation, you will be surprised how many tourist will show up any way if the entry process is free of all the trouble and burdens.. Many are looking for an unbeaten path and even the excitement of surviving places that their fellow nationals warn them to stay clear of... They love to go back and have a good story of "entering the mouth of the beast " and returning to tell the tale... Adventure is what tourism is about for most tourists, and many want their adventure to be a risk...
Once the brave few come and return, they wil spread the word and woo others to try it... Many popular tourist nations have tourist being killed and kidnapped and still more tourist come although their numbers decrease until good reputation is proven in time..

Open the gate and they will enter... As of now Nigeria has a closed door policy and you must first apply to even knock before even showing up at the door, and then must go for the face to face interview after paying a good sum and waiting a good while and enduring rude and often incompetent service...
South-Africa has an Open door policy already in place for Americans and europeans and SA benefits by it...

Me? I will never go into any business where my customer must ask permission to enter and then pay to ask that permission and then travel far and incur hotel and travel cost just to find out if the customer is granted permission or not.. And only then they can come and enter my place which already has reputation of not being worth the trip when compared to many other options? Why bother with nigeria when Thailand is so much more exotic and no need ask or pay to enter??

Trust me, i have been to 17 countries already and 15 of them as a tourist with no need to get a visa prior to entry... I met so many americans and europeans and australians and Japanese and more.. They were travelling in philippines even when it had a reputation as kidnap capital of the world with muslim terrorist before the time of boko haram... Nicaragua with its reputation of being war torn and full of bandits and thugs... Mexico with its reputation of the deadliest drug cartels... Honduras with the title of the worlds Murder capital...
The avid tourist knows that even the worst places have safe zones.. Also when these tourist nations start recieving tourist, they start to guide and protect their tourist by steering them away from area boy territory, terrorist regions and the places of bad reputation... Eventually those who service tourist with honor, they will grow their enterprise and seed a new reputation and encourage others to be more hospitable and the stream of tourism will make even street hustling easier for the average Nigerian..

Re: What Do You Think About Tourism In Africa? by edema77: 5:11pm On Apr 20, 2015
Nigeria is a tourist haven.. Lagos as well is equally enthralling for visitor....check out these tips for exploring Lagos - http://welcomecentrehotels.com/?p=60 or see http://welcomecentrehotels.com/?p=46

(1) (Reply)

Plane Makes Emergency Landing After 2 Female Flight Attendants Started Fighting! / Graphic Of The Train That Claim Lives In Cameroon. (viewers Discretion) / My 6months Multi UK Visa, What Do I Do With It??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.