Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? (1616 Views)

Any Ideas On How To Become A Distributor Of Nestle Products? / Nylon Making Business. Any Ideas? / Cold-room Business: Any Ideas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by olalekan1(m): 6:59pm On Jan 28, 2009
Hello House,
  IS anybody here who have one two experiences in LIvestock Farming. The main aspect I am talking about is the Rearing of chicken. PLs is you have anyone who knows about the business, kindly get in touch, its very urgent,  What does it take in terms of material things and the procedure it will take. Thank as you post your comment.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by obamamate: 8:46pm On Jan 28, 2009
search for " tropical poultry" in google for search
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by Seun(m): 1:22pm On Jan 30, 2009
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by Thadude(m): 9:05pm On Feb 01, 2009
I have some experience. I invested in poultry in 2001 tho!, i was on and off the country i was able to monitor it wit my bro. I did it in lagos. At the time i started with 1000 birds (layers), it was a good venture. Alot has to the with the day old, if they are from healthy bird u will smile to the bank, if not u will cry.
1.First advise make sure u own the property, in my case it was our personal property, if not the owner of the property will get jealous when u start smiling to the bank, or when buyers queen up to get ur product.
2. Ensure u have an expandable space as they grow older expansion will reduce stress.
3. Visit a poultry to have an over view.
4. Plan for your profits as well as losses.
5. Make arrangement to manually produce and mix the feeds, it will be cost effective compared to buying already made and help u save alot.
6. Better if u're mobile to move the produce.
7. Never sell on credit, even tho!, even if ur best customer who is always cashing u for yrs comes with an excuse.
8. if u're going to buy the bird buy with guarrantee so that if the birds starts dieing due to the breed ur stock will be reinbursed or funds refunded. Honest firms will oblige u.
9. Have it in mind that feeding of the birds is where the fustration comes from so be well prepared ahead so u dont go begging for money to feed them.
10. Cockrels are actually better to start off with if u re not sure of ur funds. Cos u can manover cockrel and even feed them with red oil mix with their feed to boost their weight towards sales seasons.
11. No manuvering on layers they can make u loose money if they are angry with u by not laying for some few days even after u feed them, so u might wanna pet them very well and give them stress free drug regularly.
12. Serious prayer.
13. Read and study on paper or online before u begin.
14. Keep inventory of day to dat activities.
I stoped it cos, our famous customer bought large quantities of eggs on credit  and we never saw him again till date, tht actually killed the spirit in me coupled with my not being around to monitor things myself.
I have all the details not based on text book, but on practical to day to day experience also feed formulars and medicals including injection timings etc.

If u're are interested and in lagos i will send u a number to contact my bro.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by olalekan1(m): 10:48am On Feb 02, 2009
Thank you so much Tha_dude for your advice, infact u are 100% right, i have been searching online and i got some tips which corresponded with what you just said. I am very grateful and pls send me ur the number i will not hesitate to contact ur brother and at the same time I am in Lagos.

Thanks so much I wish u well in all your endeavours.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by Thadude(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2009
@Olalekan1,
Thanks for ur comments. its a sweet bitter business depending on the way u handle it.
Some left over informations.
Plan for waste management well. The bird waste are usually bought by farmers, u have to make arrangement well before time. Back then we sold at N100 per sac with a quantity of up to 30 sacs at times, Waste management is good to prevent infections by tiny insect that arent visible to the eyes and keep the place well ventilated. Once u inform the farmers they will always come to the poultry with a truck to pick them, but it is ur duty to sac them ready. There is work to do, so ensure u employ atleast a hand when the bird is 2weeks old because u must keep to a specific feeding cycle at a specific time 3-5mins lateness can make ur birds punish u if they are layers by deciding not to lay for 2-3days for which u would be feeding them and loosing thousand of income u would have made from egg sales. You arent immune from sickness cos it can be very toxic in there. ensure u have face mask and safety glass to help during inhaling and prevent sawdust particles from entering ur eyes or that of ur workers, especially when d bird flip their wings and take vitamins after the day's job advice ur workers to do same. You should also plan for sanitation say every 6 weeks u must clear, scrub and detoxicfy the place with disinfectant. Ensure there are no holes to the enviroment and most of all watch out for flying birds so that they dont infect ur ground birds, they can do this by dropping their left over feeds from the air for ur birds, it personally happened to me cos, sometime u have to take the birds out for exercise. The total enviroment of the poultry must be cage tight with poultry net and always work ur way thro to see if there is any brokage cause by lizards or leakage if there is u must fix it immediately, observe the environmental temperature, and provide the birds with ice or block water at noon, lol that will help reduce the heat tht goes into their body, u might wanna insulate the inner roof of the poultry with cartoons that will help reduce heat from the zinc. Learn the body language of the birds as fast as u can, yes, they have body and sound languages, u can do this by constant observation. Apply the quarantine and kill principle. which mean if u observed a sick bird isolate the bird by seperation and render medication if u arent satisfied kill the bird immediately. Its better to loose one than loose all. If it gets better let it remain under quarantine for a while before u sell if old enough to be sold. Plan ur marketing well ahead of time, your neighbours, restaurants and hotels around will be very much interested so dont wait, ur marketing should begin when they are at least 3weeks/month old. Remember the faster u sell the easier burden of feeding becomes, because the major battle will be between ur profit and the burden of feeding.

My bro's number is 07026390848 Name: Merrytime
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by olalekan1(m): 9:06am On Feb 03, 2009
@Tha_dude
Thank you so much, I will keep to the advice and I will call your brother as well. Thank you so much and I will keep you updated when I start. But whih hatchery do you know I can buy the bird from, I mean a trusted one here in Lagos. I dont want rare chicks I want to start from a month hold chick, I think that one will be a little bit bigger than just a week old chick. Thank you very much, am very grateful.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by Thadude(m): 10:52pm On Feb 03, 2009
I cant remember the names of farms where we bought it back then its been almost 9yrs now, we bought our first day old in ogun state not sure if it was OBJ farms or not, right now there are so many farms in lagos. U might not be able to secure refund/replacement guarantee on a month old, because of wht they might have spent on feeding but try to strike any sort of leverage deal! also, better start with cockrel to enable u learn as u go. Consider the time of the year before purchasing, your target should be easter or christmas for maximum profitability, my bro has records of everything, including hatchery farms. Some of them will tell u the birds have been vacinated against diseases dont take their words seriously as u already know Nigeria is the capital of cut-corners or as we use to say back in school wuruwuru to the answer, lol, let them put it on pen,paper and sign, so u can hold their neck if it turn out to be false there is alot of paperwork. Dont be carried away by their advice and niceness u have a duty to protect your investment. No pen and paper agreement no deal, they should be able to back their words if it isnt solely for marketing purpose.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by olalekan1(m): 9:00am On Feb 04, 2009
ok, I understood every wprds u ve spoken. I will call your brother on anything I want to ask, I will even call him Today. Thank you so much and God will bless you so much.
Re: Any Ideas On Rearing Of Chickens? by Magz(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2009
Thank you for this. Very informative.

(1) (Reply)

Dollar2dollars Members,lets Meet / Oil Haulage Business Proposal Needed / Do U Want To Start A Bulksms Business But Don't Have Enough Funds?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.