Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,210 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

I Decided To Cook After 3years! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Decided To Cook After 3years! (6610 Views)

How To Cook Recession Rice By Heraldng / How To Cook Ewa Adalu: Corn And Beans; I Bet Some People Can Relate With This / Learn How To Cook Beans And Save The Cost Of Kerosene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:16am On Apr 14, 2015
tongue I hate cooking, but now am loving it daily. Trying new recipes are part of me now. I spend atleast $15 a day eating out which was very bad for my pay check. I woke up one morning and decided to visit the grocery store and came up with these ideas you'll see in pictures.

3 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 14, 2015
Ok

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 14, 2015
Here

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by datguru: 2:19am On Apr 14, 2015
Guy you sabi toast oo

2 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:22am On Apr 14, 2015
I also decided to make stew, so I called my sis out the phone one speaker and here is what I got. wink

1 Like

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:22am On Apr 14, 2015
Here.

1 Like

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:25am On Apr 14, 2015
Here

2 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 2:33am On Apr 14, 2015
datguru:
Guy you sabi toast oo
grin I don't have a choice. When next I make soup and poundo, I will take pictures and post it here
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Motolank: 4:48am On Apr 14, 2015
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by delishpot: 4:49am On Apr 14, 2015
Bravo ! grin
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 5:26am On Apr 14, 2015
Junk

not healthy for a black man

2 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by fromnigeria(m): 5:47am On Apr 14, 2015
Kudos!!!
But hunger go don kill perosn before ordinary spag go donn
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by uboma(m): 6:14am On Apr 14, 2015
Slimy05 the Chef. You are not doing badly as a cook. I like some of those fried chicken thigh if you care to share.
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by bigfrancis21: 6:40am On Apr 14, 2015
slimmy05:
tongue I hate cooking, but now am loving it daily. Trying new recipes are part of me now. I spend atleast $15 a day eating out which was very bad for my pay check. I woke up one morning and decided to visit the grocery store and came up with these ideas you'll see in pictures.

Good job, Slimmy05!

I cook almost every weekend here. Cooking is way cheaper than eating outside and saves you bootloads of money. As we speak I have beans + plantain, stew, fried chicken, okro soup, party jollof rice laced with sweet corn, carrots, green peas, bits of liver and chicken in my fridge. cool There is a mexican + african store nearby where I buy almost anything I need (palm oil, maggi cubes, crayfish, dry + bonga fish, peak milk, milo, garri etc) like one would do in Nigeria.

I prefer to parboil and fry my chicken, the traditional way it is done in Nigeria, than grill it in the oven (normal style here). Parboiling + frying allows you to garnish the chicken to taste but with grilling you just sprinkle condiments on the chicken and place in the oven for 60mins to 90mins, and the chicken usually does not come out as tasty as the traditional away.

Stew isn't hard to cook though. Do you cook soups yet?

4 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Good job, Slimmy05!

I cook almost every weekend here. Cooking is way cheaper than eating outside and saves you bootloads of money. As we speak I have beans + plantain, stew, fried chicken, okro soup, party jollof rice laced with sweet corn, carrots, green peas, bits of liver and chicken in my fridge. cool There is a mexican + african store nearby where I buy almost anything I need (palm oil, maggi cubes, crayfish, dry + bonga fish, peak milk, milo, garri etc) like one would do in Nigeria.

I prefer to parboil and fry my chicken, the traditional way it is done in Nigeria, than grill it in the oven (normal style here). Parboiling + frying allows you to garnish the chicken to taste but with grilling you just sprinkle condiments on the chicken and place in the oven for 60mins to 90mins, and the chicken usually does not come out as tasty as the traditional away.

Bros, kilode? Rice, beans,plantain, stew, fried chicken, okra.... kai. Quite impressive, I affirm.

2 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by AAinEqGuinea: 7:15am On Apr 14, 2015
I need to do this but I can't. I hate it. I spend about 20-25$ A day on food, but it's the "right food" though.

Take breakfast for example:
Protein and fruit smoothie for breakfast 7$, with maybe some eggs or oatmeal
I wanted to buy a juicer but it costs about 7$ worth of fruit and other ingredients to make one good smoothie!

Then there's prep and clean up
(Yea, I quantify the time it takes to prep and clean up afterwards)

somehow eating out (but eating right) makes more financial sense to me

Maybe these are end-times things happening to me, and I wish I could be more like OP
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by krystal101(f): 8:00am On Apr 14, 2015
End time things ko...ldtmb

AAinEqGuinea:
I need to do this but I can't. I hate it. I spend about 20-25$ A day on food, but it's the "right food" though.

I wanted to buy a juicer but it costs about 7$ worth of fruit and other ingredients to make one good smoothie!

Maybe these are end-times things happening to me, and I wish I could be more like OP
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Sweetyie(f): 8:08am On Apr 14, 2015
Guy, keep my own esp that chicken
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 14, 2015
wait, slimmy u mean u cooked all dis.? Waoh. Abeg dont eat alone, mi must join u o.
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetyie:
Sure I will.
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 14, 2015
Savvyij:
wait, slimmy u mean u cooked all dis.? Waoh. Abeg dont eat alone, mi must join u o.
I just had to stop eating junks getting me fat up and my clothes are suffering plus I had to use the gym.

I spend a lot eating out. I really do not know how to cook cos while in Naija, I've never done any major cooking apart from boiling rice, make pap or oat meal and egg sauce.

So, now, I cook for the week and eat without even spending more than $80 a month. grin I am still learning how to shop for food, I spend too much time at the grocery store cos I don't know what to buy.

1 Like

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 14, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

well, I got a blender free, all I need do is get the fruits myself. You save more and eat healthy when you start cooking.

2 Likes

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 14, 2015
krystal101:
End time things ko...ldtmb

grin Its better he start cooking to eat healthy.

1 Like

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Good job, Slimmy05!

I've only tried t once but it wasn't so good, more like experimenting. But I already go my groceries done, the African market here is very expensive. He is the only person around my city, but I get to pay with cash so I don't pay tax.
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by anonimi: 1:21pm On Apr 14, 2015
slimmy05:
I just had to stop eating junks getting me fat up and my clothes are suffering plus I had to use the gym.

I spend a lot eating out. I really do not know how to cook cos while in Naija, I've never done any major cooking apart from boiling rice, make pap or oat meal and egg sauce.

So, now, I cook for the week and eat without even spending more than $80 a month. grin I am still learning how to shop for food, I spend too much time at the grocery store cos I don't know what to buy.

Congrats for the big, bold step. I wish you plenty of courage and good luck as you IMPROVE your cooking steadily grin

1 Like

Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Qualer: 2:10pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetyie:

I would love to see you cooking in that dress!!! tongue
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 14, 2015
Qualer:

Bad guy grin
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Qualer: 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2015
slimmy05:
Bad guy grin

that is the pesperobeoftheanthonyobe!!!
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Sweetyie(f): 5:29pm On Apr 14, 2015
Qualer:

lol, u had to view myprofile?
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 14, 2015
Guy,you try o
Me likey
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by chinnelle(f): 10:25pm On Apr 14, 2015
Chai ! see meat
Re: I Decided To Cook After 3years! by sunnshyn(f): 10:55pm On Apr 14, 2015
Kudos OP!

I'm happy when I see people who eat home cooked meals...

It's cheaper and healthier...one can control what goes into one's system this way e.g Sodium.

Tips on clean up:

I see your stove is a mess, it can be discouraging I know. So try this.

- Get a plastic(nylon) close to you and dispose all wrappers( seasoning cubes, chicken wraps, foil paper et al) immediately. Do not pile up and say : when I get done I'll clean up.

- Again, when cooking, e.g rice that bubble and spills, keep a napkin close by to always wipe the side of the stove(burner) intermittently..

- Return all used utensils back to their respective places immediately after use. E.g - knifes - into its holder or cabinet, bowl - back to its position, etc

- Wash-up as you cook. E.g - while stew is on the stove getting ready, wash up used utensils and all, dry and return back to their positions.

- keep a mop within reach. As soon as you spill water on the floor, clean immediately.

By the time food is ready, kitchen is tidy too.

Cheers!!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name Something Your Craving ? / Do You Hate Or Love Locust Beans? / Why You Need To Start Cooking With Okazi Leaves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.