Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble (75488 Views)

Contempt: Diamond Bank, Shell Directors In Trouble / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / CBN Introduces New Policy On Dormant Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by eluquenson(m): 9:47am On Aug 05, 2015
That is ECOBANK, i have a current account with UBA, for over 3 months now, no debit was posted in the account.
So guys it doesn't apply to all bank.

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 05, 2015
Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by jmoore(m): 9:49am On Aug 05, 2015
Nonsense banking system.
I have a dormant UBA savings account, if I hear say I owe them ehh na thunder go fire them.

3 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by dspeaker(m): 9:50am On Aug 05, 2015
Eco Bank I hail una.

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Gozychuks(m): 9:52am On Aug 05, 2015
Monthly sms charges of most banks are becoming bizzare

3 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by lionphil(m): 9:52am On Aug 05, 2015
steppin:
@Op,
That's for a current account not savings.
If you leave a current account dormant, there are bound to be charges in some banks.

See u, I opened an account of #1000 with Keystone bank...at first it increased to 1005 naira...now, it has gone down to about. #986 and it keeps reducing, I need to go and close that account ASAP to avoid stories that touch.

4 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 05, 2015
I currently have a current account with ecobank but it's now dormant, but they keep deducting every month ending, now the account is on a negative side. i never knew having such an account could backfire. op, thanks for sharing...

3 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by damiloladuke: 9:55am On Aug 05, 2015
lol

CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY FUNNY SECRET DIARY
Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by dspeaker(m): 9:56am On Aug 05, 2015
When it comes to banks in Nigeria GT bank is fairly ok, Skyebank is cool, But Eco Bank seems to be the worst.

5 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by LastProphet: 9:57am On Aug 05, 2015
Tokotaya:
If you have a dormant bank account in Nigeria, you could be on CBN’s debtors’ list. Let me recast that, if you have a dormant account in Ecobank, you may already be a debtor, without knowing it. Your name may have been listed as having bad credit on the Credit Risk Management Bureau (CRMB)’s database with CBN. It’s not a demarketing attempt. It is purely my experience that others can learn from.

I had a current account in Ecobank around 2011. My ex-employer moved our salaries there based on a nice presentation made by the Branch Manager of the Bank at the time. However, the promises made were not met, so the salary account was moved elsewhere and we all thought it ended there.

More than three years later, I had left the company and was processing a loan with another bank. Near the completion of the deal, they called to tell me I was owing Ecobank. I was advised to sort it out with them before any progress could be made. I didn’t take any loan. The account didn’t have an overdraft facility. It was a basic current account from which you could never withdraw above your available balance at any point in time. How could I owe on the account?

I called their customer care and the lady insisted I must have taken a loan. I insisted I did not, and tried to convince her to look into the account to see what could have happened. She rudely cut the call!

I made a series of other calls and was linked to their Oke Afa, Isolo Branch where the account resided and was able to establish that it was my dormant account there that ran into negative. Ecobank made some routine charges on the account and when they depleted what was there, they made negative deduction of N119 and the negative started accumulating interest that had amounted to about N2,500 by late last year when I applied for a loan.

What manner of a bank would make deductions from a dormant account? I went to the bank and confronted them. An official explained that an account going dormant does not mean that charges could not be made on it. He said a man can be sleeping, but his bodily functions work nonetheless.

I paid off the money and obtained a letter of Non-indebtedness and took it to my new bank before they could process my loan. The great worry: what if I had not applied for a loan at another bank? How would I have known? Many decades later, may be as a pensioner, one may now apply for something and they will tell you there’s a debt of a couple of millions of naira you need to clear.

I’ve commenced the process of closing the account with Ecobank. Other dormant accounts I have are going too, even though some of the other banks are arguing that their own processes are different from Ecobank’s. They argue that typically, your dormant account holds the last balance there till you reactivate it. One said if at all any customer’s account goes into red, his bank had a standard procedure to call up the customer by phone to alert him. No one called me from Ecobank.

How much was N119 that Ecobank would go ahead to list me as having a non-performing loan instead of calling me to clear it. The totality of my experience with Ecobank has been horrible to say the least. To even collect the Letter of Non-Indebtedness was a war. It took nearly 3 weeks of constant harassment to get it ready and on the day I was to pick it up, I spent three and a half hours in their banking hall.
So folks, check up on all your current dormant accounts, especially those with Ecobank.

Thank you sir, i got so many listed around, u have saved me a great deal.

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by spikesC(m): 9:58am On Aug 05, 2015
Dormant current accounts accumulate interest, at least for firstbank, so it makes sense for charges to be applied
Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Bjergtrolde: 9:58am On Aug 05, 2015
Any one with an experiene with Stanbic bank, negative or positive to share?
Thanking you in advance.

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 05, 2015
OMG!! I have an Ecobank account I have not used in years!!!!!! I think it's even negative cos they keep sending me sms of deduction!! Chai!!
Na shiga uku! angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by mu2sa2: 10:00am On Aug 05, 2015
I have my main account and two others with different banks that are "dormant". l keep the two "dormant" accounts on life support by occasionally transferring 2k via mobile money and withdrawing my money using atm. This way those accounts can never go completely dormant or run into debit.

5 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Miranda11: 10:04am On Aug 05, 2015
The accounts are dormant because they don't allow us to close the accounts. I tried closing an account with former mainstreet bank but they gave me all kinds of excuses why I can't close the account saying that the process is too long and tedious that it's better to leave it as it is, now they have transferred the acct to Skye bank!

5 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Oketwin(m): 10:05am On Aug 05, 2015
Ecobank is jst one funny bank even savings they would still deduct monthly charges as if say na person send dem to buy gbese from Oceanic bank poo

5 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by dblaisepascal(m): 10:06am On Aug 05, 2015
Tokotaya:
If you have a dormant bank account in Nigeria, you could be on CBN’s debtors’ list. Let me recast that, if you have a dormant account in Ecobank, you may already be a debtor, without knowing it. Your name may have been listed as having bad credit on the Credit Risk Management Bureau (CRMB)’s database with CBN. It’s not a demarketing attempt. It is purely my experience that others can learn from.

I had a current account in Ecobank around 2011. My ex-employer moved our salaries there based on a nice presentation made by the Branch Manager of the Bank at the time. However, the promises made were not met, so the salary account was moved elsewhere and we all thought it ended there.

More than three years later, I had left the company and was processing a loan with another bank. Near the completion of the deal, they called to tell me I was owing Ecobank. I was advised to sort it out with them before any progress could be made. I didn’t take any loan. The account didn’t have an overdraft facility. It was a basic current account from which you could never withdraw above your available balance at any point in time. How could I owe on the account?

I called their customer care and the lady insisted I must have taken a loan. I insisted I did not, and tried to convince her to look into the account to see what could have happened. She rudely cut the call!

I made a series of other calls and was linked to their Oke Afa, Isolo Branch where the account resided and was able to establish that it was my dormant account there that ran into negative. Ecobank made some routine charges on the account and when they depleted what was there, they made negative deduction of N119 and the negative started accumulating interest that had amounted to about N2,500 by late last year when I applied for a loan.

What manner of a bank would make deductions from a dormant account? I went to the bank and confronted them. An official explained that an account going dormant does not mean that charges could not be made on it. He said a man can be sleeping, but his bodily functions work nonetheless.

I paid off the money and obtained a letter of Non-indebtedness and took it to my new bank before they could process my loan. The great worry: what if I had not applied for a loan at another bank? How would I have known? Many decades later, may be as a pensioner, one may now apply for something and they will tell you there’s a debt of a couple of millions of naira you need to clear.

I’ve commenced the process of closing the account with Ecobank. Other dormant accounts I have are going too, even though some of the other banks are arguing that their own processes are different from Ecobank’s. They argue that typically, your dormant account holds the last balance there till you reactivate it. One said if at all any customer’s account goes into red, his bank had a standard procedure to call up the customer by phone to alert him. No one called me from Ecobank.

How much was N119 that Ecobank would go ahead to list me as having a non-performing loan instead of calling me to clear it. The totality of my experience with Ecobank has been horrible to say the least. To even collect the Letter of Non-Indebtedness was a war. It took nearly 3 weeks of constant harassment to get it ready and on the day I was to pick it up, I spent three and a half hours in their banking hall.
So folks, check up on all your current dormant accounts, especially those with Ecobank.
THANKS for the info. i have a dormant account with bank phb which i stopped operating over 10yrs now... naa waa ooo, hope they wont call million when i check it out... CHISUS

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:06am On Aug 05, 2015
Tokotaya please would the same apply to a bank that technically no longer a exists?
I have a dormant account with Bank PHB from a car loan which I have since paid off since 2012.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Abdullahiaag(m): 10:08am On Aug 05, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] [s] weeeeeee heeeee whooo ooo.....!! ! I had oceanic bank account and eco bank account so when oceanic turns eco I now have two ✌ eco dormant accounts shocked lipsrsealed im Closing them on Monday.

5 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Mariojane(f): 10:10am On Aug 05, 2015
tweetobyte:

But he's saying the truth.
do you know if he wants to open an account there?
Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by adorable29(f): 10:10am On Aug 05, 2015
stelaar:
I stopped running a Diamond Bank Saving account (High interest deposit account aka HIDA) for over two years, got to the bank this Year only to be informed that going below N5000 attracts a monthly charge of 150 and as such I owe the Bank N150 X 28 Months.

Account was on Negatived as such as soon as Money got in, N4200 was deducted with the speed of light.
Funny enough Available Balance shows what's left and my Book balance still shows my deposit plus the N4200

Are you serious? How come they didn't send you an alert to that effect so you know what move to make. This people are silent fraudsters!
Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Unityp: 10:15am On Aug 05, 2015
steppin:
@Op,
That's for a current account not savings.
If you leave a current account dormant, there are bound to be charges in some banks.
Bro i have a savings account with them and i have not been using it 4 about 4 months now.I left about N1200 and it`s already N650 as i`m talking to u.Ekobank simply needs to be cautioned by CBN.My union bank acct have been dormant 4 over 4 years and the 1k i left behind is now N2300(cos they still alert me quarterly)

8 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Leon2036(m): 10:15am On Aug 05, 2015
Hehe! Nah wah oh!! Thanks a lot brother! Ecobank ooh! I dey come

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Trunaijian: 10:17am On Aug 05, 2015
Omo! I dey close my UBA account sharply. I stopped using like over ten years ago and I still get sms from them.

4 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Cool: 10:18am On Aug 05, 2015
Truflame:
The best bank in Nigeria is GTbank. Make thorough inquiries before transacting with other banks. They can really frustrate the living daylight in you

GTBank - don't even go there!
* If you have not tried anything beyond routine cash transactions with GTBank, you may be deceived.
* Until you have scrutinized your account statements over the last 3 years and do not see unexplainable debits, please say nothing. I mean amounts that most people will tend to overlook like N10, N12 etc with narratives that seem to be written in a foreign language.
* When you get to a GTBank customer service desk and you are treated warmly, not like a bother - then speak.
* When GTBank makes an error on your account and offers you an apology, please speak.

GTBank - a dying glory.

8 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by Aitee1: 10:19am On Aug 05, 2015
noxide:
I've made up my mind to close my Ecobank account. They've become crap since the merger with Oceanic bank

Been humiliated several times at their bank, most recent was when I went to pick up my ATM card. The CC officer refused to give me because of irregular signature. She even refused to accept my BVN number!

I told her if my signature is irregular, but the profile on my BVN matches the account, why not use the biometrics of the BVN to grant me access to the account. The officer was on zombie mode and kept insisting my signature was irregular.

Won't bore you with details; at the end of the day I spent 2hrs+, felt humiliated and left without my ATM card. angry I'm truly disappointed with Ecobank!

Exactly what transpired btw me and their cc 2yrs ago, they are on my black book already, my plan is to sue them, I left the account dormant with 5000 in it anyday I'm ready they must pay me 5000 multiplied by 5000.

Ecobank should be rated the worst bank!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by nwadiuko1(m): 10:19am On Aug 05, 2015
I have 2 dormant accounts with. Afri bank and phb. But I have almost 73k in phb and 21k in afri........anyday they say am owing dem na to swear for dem

1 Like

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by ladygudhead(f): 10:20am On Aug 05, 2015
stelaar:
I stopped running a Diamond Bank Saving account (High interest deposit account aka HIDA) for over two years, got to the bank this Year only to be informed that going below N5000 attracts a monthly charge of 150 and as such I owe the Bank N150 X 28 Months.

Account was on Negatived as such as soon as Money got in, N4200 was deducted with the speed of light.
Funny enough Available Balance shows what's left and my Book balance still shows my deposit plus the N4200

na waoo!
funny enough they will never explain all these properly to you when you are about opening the account.

4 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by jomoh: 10:22am On Aug 05, 2015
Tokotaya:

Instead of going through that process, you could simply have written to them and demand for a reply in and harmless manner and when they reply with letter of non performing loan, your lawyer takes it up as an evidence.

2 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by ladygudhead(f): 10:23am On Aug 05, 2015
Aitee1:

Exactly what transpired btw me and their cc 2yrs ago, they are on my black book already, my plan is to sue them, I left the account dormant with 5000 in it anyday I'm ready they must pay 5000 multiplied by 5000.

Ecobank should be rated the worst bank!!!
supported !!!

4 Likes

Re: Your Dormant Bank Account Could Put You In Trouble by sim37(m): 10:24am On Aug 05, 2015
I left #2000 in eco bank n now I ve #700 as my bal

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Make Money Using Spells / How The Current MMM Will Likely End - As a Scam / How I Started A Soap Making Business From Scratch (pictures And Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.