Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. (3151 Views)

Resettle Us Now, Stop Sending Us Rice And Beans – Bakassi Ruler, Okon Edet / Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life / Nigerian Police Force Now Stop Traffic Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 2:03pm On Jan 29, 2009
[center]There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. [/center]

Written by Adebowale Oriku
Thursday, 29 January 2009
London transport – buses, trains – is often awash, busy really, with images and words of advertisement. Now you might be a poetry-reader to notice Poems on the Underground, and a poem-lover to bother perusing the few, often catchy, lines. But you don’t need to be a student of semiotics - signs - to notice the murals bedecking the red London buses. Often promotional adverts of newly released films, West End musicals, pictures captioned with blurbs, taglines and dates of release. The London buses were pressed into service when ‘Africa came to London’ with a menagerie of contortionists, fire-eaters, dancers, drummers and sundry performers in wildlife costume.

As a subscriber to the New Humanist and a member of the British Humanist Society, I could not but notice the words picked out in tricolour against the side of the red bus, There is probably no God. Now Stop Worrying and Enjoy Yourself. I was pleased to glimpse this legend one afternoon a couple of weeks ago in the Oxford Street, London. A chance, even serendipitous, sighting as I had not been to Oxford Street for more than year. I moved out of London almost four years ago but, even when I was living in the city, the commercial anthill that is Oxford Street had never held a draw for me. I had seen the promo picture carrying the words in a newspaper just before the advert went out, but I didn’t imagine I would run into it on the first day it came out.

As a humanist, this was like a minor epiphany, the New Year’s intellectual handsel. Weeks before, the queasier and the more restless of the evangelical wing of Christians had objected to the advert running on London buses, as it was thought by this negligible fringe that it would cause offence.

The idea was mooted by Ms Ariane Sherine, a member of the British Humanist Society. She thought there was a vacuum to be filled with such an advert. Apart from immigrant groups like Nigerians, Ghanaians et al, the number of Christians is on the wane in the United Kingdom. Broadly speaking, religion has all but been wiped off the sociogeography of the British islands and their indigenous people. Only immigrants from the middle east and the South East Asia complement the wave of African religiosity in Britain with an Islamic variant of Abrahamism.

Aside from the highly contentious fact that bishops are still allowed to sit with other unelected peers in the House of Lords, there is a fairly vocal Christian lobby in the UK. It is this sort of groupings and their counterparts in Islam, Judaism and some other religions who often defend the existence of a few ‘faith schools’ in the UK. But in spite of all this, Britain is solidly a secular country, a modern western European nation in which religion has become a historical formality. Few of the British political leaders who have any belief would dare flaunt it in the public – it is simply not an election-winner. ‘We don’t do religion,’ former Prime minister, Tony Blair, once declared via his press secretary. Tony remained a closet Christian until he left office, and even now he is still a skulking rather than spiky High-Churchman. And the incumbent, Gordon Brown, has this diversionary and rather Freudian habit of quoting his clergyman father, he would never talk about his own faith or lack of it.

There are however certain Christian noisemakers whose relevance to British life is no more worthy than that of Muslims who fierily protested at the publication of Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses or the Danish cartoon of their prophet. Such Christians had also protested at the broadcast of Jerry Springer the Opera, a parodic musical in which a Jesus-figure was infantilised, wearing nappies and so forth. The musical ran its course anyway, in spite of the Christian protesters.

These religious busybodies, in this instance curiously unsupported by their Islamic brethren, had again thought it was righteous to protest when Transport for London decided to take on the advert, There is Probably no God. The Christians, again playing martyrs, contended that the advertising campaign was offensive and derogatory to religious people, and that the advert would not meet the standards of substantiation and truthfulness.

The British Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) threw out the Christians’ case. The watchdog submitted that the British Humanist Association's campaign - There is Probably no God - did not breach the advertising code or mislead consumers. The ASA council asserted that the advert was an expression of the advertiser's view and that substantiation or lack of it had nothing to do with its message – not forgetting the word probably. The Advertising Standards Agency agrees that the content of the campaign would not gladden the hearts of many believers, but it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence.

And it certainly did not cause an iota of offence. Before the advert was bannered on the side of the buses, discussions on blogs and newspaper columns had even proved that few people really cared whether the advert had gone the whole hog and hollered, There is no God. What had made Ms Sherine to hit upon the idea was what she considered the very haughtiness of religionists who were free to place adverts on and in most places, adverts spieling such clichés of belief and proselytization as ‘Jesus Lives,’ ‘Hell is Real.’ As well as wishing to give voice to atheists and non-believers, Ariane also wanted to provoke debate – and was there a debate!

At first, Ariane had thought it would take months for the British Humanists to raise the money to place the advert in January of this year. But within a few hours of the media broaching the issue, thousands of pounds had been raised, people came down with money enthusiastically – with religious zeal, if you will.

This had also provided another opportunity for Professor Richard Dawkins, distinguished occupier of the Chair of Public Understanding at Oxford, to weigh in heavily on religion. For decades, Dawkins has been the most eloquent and vigorous exegete of his near-namesake Charles Darwin, the propounder of the Theory of Evolution - the yearlong bicentenary of whose birth was flagged off a couple of days ago. Professor Dawkins is perhaps the most influential antireligionist living today. He does not excuse his tetchiness, his impatience with, even his ridicule of religion and its defenders and practitioners. His last book, The God Delusion, is a piece of deicidal higher criticism in which Dawkins aims a smart, swingeing cosh at God, religion and people who are religious, whom he considers delusional, and in a lot of cases, dim. Having come down with a chunk of the advert fee, the professor could also be depended upon to provide a wordbite during the debate: “This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think – and thinking is anathema to religion.”

Trust Professor Dawkins to deliver heavyhanded belabouring of religion at a wink. While it was refreshing and salutary to read, just as the words There is Probably no God might not overwhelmingly affect a long-fossilised belief in God, it hardly set me into any sort of rigorous mental callisthenics. For me, it is as likely as not that there is no God. Forget the simplexity of double negative equals positive, the crux-word here is the negative ‘no’. Probability – or probabilism in an analogous sense – is a potent word in philosophy, philology, theology, physics, mathematics and logic. The humanists knew better than to have written God is only a Probability. Now stop Worrying and Enjoy Yourself. This would have given believers in God a foothold, a ledge on which to stand and leap, headfirst, into the deep end of the murky viscid pool of God-argument, an argument no one wins easily – especially God-believers.

Of course this advertising campaign had turned the probability fallacy on its head to achieve its end. The conclusion is, just because something could not happen, it could not: Since the likelihood of God’s existence is dubious, his being is therefore dubious, if not nonexistent. Occam’s razor would cut atheists the bigger slack here. But beyond such devil’s advocacy, people in London and Britain, by and large, live their lives without the bugbear of God and his scapegoated fallen factotum, Satan, without the sanctions of religion, the elementary polestar of Wisdom Theology, they enjoy themselves without worrying about what God would think of MouthAction or cunnilingus or ‘binge-drinking’ every Friday night. Generally, manmade laws and rules have supplanted the anachronisms of the Ten Commandments and hellfire – by the way, the first Hellfire Club which had rakes, sots, philanderers as members, was established in the 18th century in England. And certainly, fear or love of God has nothing to do with the relative transparency in governance and governing in Britain. Nor was it God who taught them how to queue, how not to drop litter with sublime carefreeness.

[b]I have wondered whether such an advert campaign could be launched in our beloved country, Nigeria, I mean in the best of all possible Nigerian worlds. Oh, but I shouldn’t wonder. Aren’t we a very religious country, with a very religious people, godly folks? If the British leaders are timid enough to mumble We don’t do God, Nigerian leaders shout from the housetops about how godly they are. They call on us often to pray for the nation, some of them even take on the role of imam and deacon to lead the prayer from the plush innards of their palaces. They bid us to fast for the betterment of the country. Wasn’t our former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, a born-again Christian? Isn’t the present head of state a devoted Muslim, a Godsend? Aren’t our leaders anointed by God to lord it over us, and that we must accept them no matter what? Don’t we depend on our relationship with God to pass exams, drive cars without fuel, heal the ailing, and prosper? Aren’t we all chaste, honest, morally ramrod-straight, our leaders the paragons of honour? Don’t we fear God so much so that we only enjoy moderately, satisfied with our missionary-position mindset. Aren’t we a nation of virginal female undergraduates, of modest men whose minds are sublimated with godly cares? Don’t we all live spare, spartan lives because of our fear of God?

We indeed do God, we overdo God, hyper-do him, we’ve almost done God to death. [/b]

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/there-is-probably-no-god.-now-stop-worrying-and-enjoy-your.html
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Jan 29, 2009
The Last thing we need in that country is anti-religion campaign of any sort. We have seen how deep religion goes when it comes to political decision making in that country ( even though it is more religion manufactured by our leaders), we don't even want to try such until we get a more stable country that is able to handle differing opinions on the topic of religion.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by JJYOU: 2:14pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

[center]There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself.     [/center]

Written by Adebowale Oriku    
Thursday, 29 January 2009
London transport – buses, trains – is often awash, busy really, with images and words of advertisement. Now you might be a poetry-reader to notice Poems on the Underground, and a poem-lover to bother perusing the few, often catchy, lines. But you don’t need to be a student of semiotics - signs - to notice the murals bedecking the red London buses. Often promotional adverts of newly released films, West End musicals, pictures captioned with blurbs, taglines and dates of release. The London buses were pressed into service when ‘Africa came to London’ with a menagerie of contortionists, fire-eaters, dancers, drummers and sundry performers in wildlife costume.

As a subscriber to the New Humanist and a member of the British Humanist Society, I could not but notice the words picked out in tricolour against the side of the red bus, There is probably no God. Now Stop Worrying and Enjoy Yourself. I was pleased to glimpse this legend one afternoon a couple of weeks ago in the Oxford Street, London. A chance, even serendipitous, sighting as I had not been to Oxford Street for more than year. I moved out of London almost four years ago but, even when I was living in the city, the commercial anthill that is Oxford Street had never held a draw for me. I had seen the promo picture carrying the words in a newspaper just before the advert went out, but I didn’t imagine I would run into it on the first day it came out.

As a humanist, this was like a minor epiphany, the New Year’s intellectual handsel.  Weeks before, the queasier and the more restless of the evangelical wing of Christians had objected to the advert running on London buses, as it was thought by this negligible fringe that it would cause offence.

The idea was mooted by Ms Ariane Sherine, a member of the British Humanist Society. She thought there was a vacuum to be filled with such an advert. Apart from immigrant groups like Nigerians, Ghanaians et al, the number of Christians is on the wane in the United Kingdom. Broadly speaking, religion has all but been wiped off the sociogeography of the British islands and their indigenous people. Only immigrants from the middle east and the South East Asia complement the wave of African religiosity in Britain with an Islamic variant of Abrahamism.

Aside from the highly contentious fact that bishops are still allowed to sit with other unelected peers in the House of Lords, there is a fairly vocal Christian lobby in the UK. It is this sort of groupings and their counterparts in Islam, Judaism and some other religions who often defend the existence of a few ‘faith schools’ in the UK. But in spite of all this, Britain is solidly a secular country, a modern western European nation in which religion has become a historical formality. Few of the British political leaders who have any belief would dare flaunt it in the public – it is simply not an election-winner. ‘We don’t do religion,’ former Prime minister, Tony Blair, once declared via his press secretary. Tony remained a closet Christian until he left office, and even now he is still a skulking rather than spiky High-Churchman. And the incumbent, Gordon Brown, has this diversionary and rather Freudian habit of quoting his clergyman father, he would never talk about his own faith or lack of it.

There are however certain Christian noisemakers whose relevance to British life is no more worthy than that of Muslims who fierily protested at the publication of Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses or the Danish cartoon of their prophet. Such Christians had also protested at the broadcast of Jerry Springer the Opera, a parodic musical in which a Jesus-figure was infantilised, wearing nappies and so forth. The musical ran its course anyway, in spite of the Christian protesters.

These religious busybodies, in this instance curiously unsupported by their Islamic brethren, had again thought it was righteous to protest when Transport for London decided to take on the advert, There is Probably no God. The Christians, again playing martyrs, contended that the advertising campaign was offensive and derogatory to religious people, and that the advert would not meet the standards of substantiation and truthfulness.

The British Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) threw out the Christians’ case. The watchdog submitted that the British Humanist Association's campaign - There is Probably no God - did not breach the advertising code or mislead consumers. The ASA council asserted that the advert was an expression of the advertiser's view and that substantiation or lack of it had nothing to do with its message – not forgetting the word probably. The Advertising Standards Agency agrees that the content of the campaign would not gladden the hearts of many believers, but it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence.

And it certainly did not cause an iota of offence. Before the advert was bannered on the side of the buses, discussions on blogs and newspaper columns had even proved that few people really cared whether the advert had gone the whole hog and hollered, There is no God. What had made Ms Sherine to hit upon the idea was what she considered the very haughtiness of religionists who were free to place adverts on and in most places, adverts spieling such clichés of belief and proselytization as ‘Jesus Lives,’ ‘Hell is Real.’  As well as wishing to give voice to atheists and non-believers, Ariane also wanted to provoke debate – and was there a debate!

At first, Ariane had thought it would take months for the British Humanists to raise the money to place the advert in January of this year. But within a few hours of the media broaching the issue, thousands of pounds had been raised, people came down with money enthusiastically – with religious zeal, if you will.

This had also provided another opportunity for Professor Richard Dawkins, distinguished occupier of the Chair of Public Understanding at Oxford, to weigh in heavily on religion. For decades, Dawkins has been the most eloquent and vigorous exegete of his near-namesake Charles Darwin, the propounder of the Theory of Evolution - the yearlong bicentenary of whose birth was flagged off a couple of days ago. Professor Dawkins is perhaps the most influential antireligionist living today. He does not excuse his tetchiness, his impatience with, even his ridicule of religion and its defenders and practitioners. His last book, The God Delusion, is a piece of deicidal higher criticism in which Dawkins aims a smart, swingeing cosh at God, religion and people who are religious, whom he considers delusional, and in a lot of cases, dim. Having come down with a chunk of the advert fee, the professor could also be depended upon to provide a wordbite during the debate: “This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think – and thinking is anathema to religion.”

Trust Professor Dawkins to deliver heavyhanded belabouring of religion at a wink. While it was refreshing and salutary to read, just as the words There is Probably no God might not overwhelmingly affect a long-fossilised belief in God, it hardly set me into any sort of rigorous mental callisthenics. For me, it is as likely as not that there is no God. Forget the simplexity of double negative equals positive, the crux-word here is the negative ‘no’. Probability – or probabilism in an analogous sense – is a potent word in philosophy, philology, theology, physics, mathematics and logic. The humanists knew better than to have written God is only a Probability. Now stop Worrying and Enjoy Yourself. This would have given believers in God a foothold, a ledge on which to stand and leap, headfirst, into the deep end of the murky viscid pool of God-argument, an argument no one wins easily – especially God-believers.

Of course this advertising campaign had turned the probability fallacy on its head to achieve its end. The conclusion is, just because something could not happen, it could not: Since the likelihood of God’s existence is dubious, his being is therefore dubious, if not nonexistent. Occam’s razor would cut atheists the bigger slack here. But beyond such devil’s advocacy, people in London and Britain, by and large, live their lives without the bugbear of God and his scapegoated fallen factotum, Satan, without the sanctions of religion, the elementary polestar of Wisdom Theology, they enjoy themselves without worrying about what God would think of MouthAction or cunnilingus or ‘binge-drinking’ every Friday night. Generally, manmade laws and rules have supplanted the anachronisms of the Ten Commandments and hellfire – by the way, the first Hellfire Club which had rakes, sots, philanderers as members, was established in the 18th century in England. And certainly, fear or love of God has nothing to do with the relative transparency in governance and governing in Britain. Nor was it God who taught them how to queue, how not to drop litter with sublime carefreeness.  

[b]I have wondered whether such an advert campaign could be launched in our beloved country, Nigeria, I mean in the best of all possible Nigerian worlds. Oh, but I shouldn’t wonder. Aren’t we a very religious country, with a very religious people, godly folks? If the British leaders are timid enough to mumble We don’t do God, Nigerian leaders shout from the housetops about how godly they are. They call on us often to pray for the nation, some of them even take on the role of imam and deacon to lead the prayer from the plush innards of their palaces. They bid us to fast for the betterment of the country. Wasn’t our former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, a born-again Christian? Isn’t the present head of state a devoted Muslim, a Godsend? Aren’t our leaders anointed by God to lord it over us, and that we must accept them no matter what? Don’t we depend on our relationship with God to pass exams, drive cars without fuel, heal the ailing, and prosper? Aren’t we all chaste, honest, morally ramrod-straight, our leaders the paragons of honour? Don’t we fear God so much so that we only enjoy moderately, satisfied with our missionary-position mindset. Aren’t we a nation of virginal female undergraduates, of modest men whose minds are sublimated with godly cares? Don’t we all live spare, spartan lives because of our fear of God?

We indeed do God, we overdo God, hyper-do him, we’ve almost done God to death.  [/b]

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/there-is-probably-no-god.-now-stop-worrying-and-enjoy-your.html
nigerians dont do God we do religion and using God. God is not our problem. iwe are generally not Gody ( behaving like God ). being religious and using God as most naija people do is one thing living the Godly life is what nigerians dont do.
Godliness and contentment the bible say is great gain.
nigerians have it as using God for great gain is religion.

how do you put God on trial for the nigerian mind set
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Jakumo(m): 2:35pm On Jan 29, 2009
Boss, you have created such uncertainty and mental anguish in my mind that I was forced to wake up my shrink in the dead of night for some emergency counselling. Here is a partial list of the many Gods that I worship.

1. The God of Thunder ( Sango )
2. The God of Iron ( Ogun )
3. The God of Rivers ( Oya )
4. The God of Sex ( Hugh Hefner )
5. The God of Money ( Late, Great Sanni Abacha )
6. The God of Inactivity ( President Yar Adua )
7. The God of Silicone ( Pamela Anderson )

Well, you get the idea. Now, before my nervous breakdown becomes official and my lawyers get involved , which particular God are you claiming does not exist ?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by JJYOU: 3:08pm On Jan 29, 2009
why you dey ask simple question? that is too much for clever minds like boss
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 3:39pm On Jan 29, 2009
lol @ Jakumo and JJYOU

B.O.S.S.:

[b]They bid us to fast for the betterment of the country. Wasn’t our former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, a born-again Christian? Isn’t the present head of state a devoted Muslim, a Godsend? Aren’t our leaders anointed by God to lord it over us, and that we must accept them no matter what? Don’t we depend on our relationship with God to pass exams, drive cars without fuel, heal the ailing, and prosper? Aren’t we all chaste, honest, morally ramrod-straight, our leaders the paragons of honour? Don’t we fear God so much so that we only enjoy moderately, satisfied with our missionary-position mindset.

I'm talking of the Christian and Muslim God. The moment our leaders admit that they have really mixed a great deal of delusion with the being and originality of God,

Its time we deal with each other with open-mindedness and concentrated originality. I think what the writer is tying to get at is the difference of approach of how we look at God in Nigeria as compared to the western world.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 3:47pm On Jan 29, 2009
of course, different people or societies look at God differently; i see nothing wrong with this state of mind, it is part of life. the most important thing is seeing God as the king of king. if we all pray to the same God at the end of the day, it's ok. just remember that in God's eyes we are all equal.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 3:51pm On Jan 29, 2009
people would intend to swindle you, and they would say,"Jo ni to ri olorun"
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 3:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
on the judgement day, do not be surprised to see saddam hussein/ osama in heaven while some of us chill on the other side. don't be stupid, God is God and he sees us (good or bad) as equal regardless of how we pray or approach him.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

on the judgement day, do not be surprised to see saddam hussein/ osama in heaven while some of us chill on the other side. don't be stupid, God is God and he sees us (good or bad) as equal regardless of how we pray or approach him.

Aren't you concerned of God's judgement on you especially when you close on eye at Yar 'Adua (Obj and co) and open the other at Ribadu?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

lol @ Jakumo and JJYOU

I'm talking of the Christian and Muslim God. The moment our leaders admit that they have really mixed a great deal of delusion with the being and originality of God,

Its time we deal with each other with open-mindedness and concentrated originality. I think what the writer is tying to get at is the difference of approach of how we look at God in Nigeria as compared to the western world.

I doubt we will ever actually get those leaders of ours to admit anything of the sort. And dealing with each other with open-mindedness, you serious? Look around you here on nairaland to get answer on if that would be possible with these. Lol

My take is what the country needs is more doses on how religion realy ought to be applied. This, to me is the only way to get this wicked religion out of our bloods. The problem does not end at the top; it is deep in the veins of most Nigerians, that is why we rank as the most religious people ( not leaders) but also the most corrupt as well, in addition to being one of the poorest in the area of human rights. What we need is re-training in what it means to be religious and how we can apply it for good and gain even more for self and for community.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 4:03pm On Jan 29, 2009
Aren't you concerned of God's judgement on you especially when you close on eye at Yar 'Adua (Obj and co) and open the other at Ribadu?
darling boss: ribadu happens to be the king of judging others, therefore it is only right, legal, civilized and sensible to expose his ass and educate his blind supporters.
ribadu must go down.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

darling boss: ribadu happens to be the king of judging others, therefore it is only right, legal, civilized and sensible to expose his ass and educate his blind supporters.
ribadu must go down.

cre, na wa for u. so na the one and single reason wey u wan take make sure say ribadu no bake him cake and fry it too be this. no wonder, presy yardy cant do anything wrong in ur eye. at least he was governator for 8 years, no impeachment, no action, no rift with his house of assembly. he must be the next best thing to happen to nigeria after agege bread.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

What does the above mean?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 4:16pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre, na wa for u. so na the one and single reason wey u wan take make sure say ribadu no bake him cake and fry it too be this. no wonder, presy yardy cant do anything wrong in ur eye. at least he was governator for 8 years, no impeachment, no action, no rift with his house of assembly. he must be the next best thing to happen to nigeria after agege bread
you're wrong, i've never stated that yaradua was a perfect president.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 4:18pm On Jan 29, 2009
but u have blamed his inaction on baba iyabo. if i would be allowed to use some of ur words here. you said he had been busy cleaning up the mess baba iyabo left, thus his inaction and all that.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 4:22pm On Jan 29, 2009
i can not remember making that statement, but this statement is not far from the truth. don't you think? should i list the names of obasojo's close associates that have been arrested lately? i honestly think that obasojo is partially responsible for some of our problems in nigeria today. don't you think?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by zomby(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2009
I will list them for you.
Aborisade (twice)
Bode George
Fani kayode (twice)
Ibori
Ribadu (pending)
El-Rufai (pending)
More to come.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by spikedcylinder: 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2009
Try telling those extremist Christians/Muslims that there is no God. In an almost lawless country like Nigeria, you'll be clubbed to death on the spot.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 4:27pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

i can not remember making that statement, but this statement is not far from the truth. don't you think? should i list the names of obasojo's close associates that have been arrested lately? i honestly think that obasojo is partially responsible for some of our problems in nigeria today. don't you think?

That's the only truth you've honestly managed to squeeze out from your keyboard in a while now, only that you didn't include Yar 'Adua and all other Nigerian politicians and pastors (oh plus Ribadu).
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by MrCrackles(m): 4:28pm On Jan 29, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 4:28pm On Jan 29, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Try telling those extremist Christians/Muslims that there is no God. In an almost lawless country like Nigeria, you'll be clubbed to death on the spot.

But don't you think the earlier we separate the God-factor from our personal affairs, the better?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

i can not remember making that statement, but this statement is not far from the truth. don't you think? should i list the names of obasojo's close associates that have been arrested lately?

i could help you refresh ur memory by digging it out but it would take too long a time.

i honestly think that obasojo is partially responsible for some of our problems in nigeria today. don't you think?

and you think yardy's inaction is not fanning and fueling its flame?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 4:35pm On Jan 29, 2009
That's the only truth you've honestly managed to squeeze out from your keyboard in a while now, only that you didn't include Yar 'Adua and all other Nigerian politicians and pastors (oh plus Ribadu).  

sweet boss, very very sad to know where your mind is at, i thought you were on my side. i guess, i was wrong.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Jan 29, 2009
As one who believes and knows personally that there is a God, I don’t think telling people there is no God is a solution to the problem for anyone. The reason why religion is the way it is in Nigeria is simply because we continue to live in a semi-lawless society that allows people perpetrate all these evils and get away with it simply by invoking the name of God. That is just the problem we have in that country. Religion is not the problem, the lack of effective enforcement of societal laws is.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
i could help you refresh ur memory by digging it out but it would take too long a time.

please start digging, i'm sure you can do it, you have a strong back
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 4:41pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity:

sweet boss, very very sad to know where your mind is at, i thought you were on my side. i guess, i was wrong.

Darling, I’m on your side. The difference between us is that I want more people probed and arrested and even probably jailed for life while you’re just a bit more liberal.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by debosky(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2009
Boss, you have created such uncertainty and mental anguish in my mind that I was forced to wake up my shrink in the dead of night for some emergency counselling. Here is a partial list of the many Gods that I worship.

1. The God of Thunder ( Sango )
2. The God of Iron ( Ogun )
3. The God of Rivers ( Oya )
4. The God of Sex ( Hugh Hefner )
5. The God of Money ( Late, Great Sanni Abacha )
6. The God of Inactivity ( President Yar Adua )
7. The God of Silicone ( Pamela Anderson )

Well, you get the idea. Now, before my nervous breakdown becomes official and my lawyers get involved , which particular God are you claiming does not exist ?
shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 4:45pm On Jan 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

As one who believes and knows personally that there is a God,

Personal is the word that catches my mind there.

That’s what I mean and that’s what I think the author is trying to get at. You’ve never used your religion to convince people as to why our political ways are in shambles but rather you argue by the presentation of facts. That’s exactly what would save Nigeria. Keep the religion personal and pure and open politics should be allowed to run it’s course for the sake of the masses.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by meexteriox(m): 4:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
It were better to have no opinion of God at all, than such an opinion as is unworthy of him.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 5:01pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Personal is the word that catches my mind there.

That’s what I mean and that’s what I think the author is trying to get at. You’ve never used your religion to convince people as to why our political ways are in shambles but rather you argue by the presentation of facts. That’s exactly what would save Nigeria. Keep the religion personal and pure and open politics should be allowed to run it’s course for the sake of the masses.

BOSS how we go take explain this ur talk to people? me i understand but i can only stick up for myself. i PERSONALLY grin think we cover up our attrocities with the name of God. Could it be the, Blame-it-on-the-guy-who-isnt -around syndrome?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 5:05pm On Jan 29, 2009
must_a_far:

BOSS how we go take explain this ur talk to people? me i understand but i can only stick up for myself. i PERSONALLY grin think we cover up our attrocities with the name of God. Could it be the, Blame-it-on-the-guy-who-isnt -around syndrome?

EXACTLY. You know, the "I'll leave it all to God to judge" syndrome, that's the Nigerian problem. OBJ, IBB, Abacha all swindled Nigeria yet, we leave them to God to judge.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Go To Channel Tv Now! - evidence of rigging being revealed / My Administration Will Not Spare Criminals - GEJ / 2015 Election: Gov Chime-backed Candidate Loses In Enugu USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.