Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,548 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts (822 Views)

I’m Not In Hiding, Saraki Says / Here Is A List Of Those Who Will Go Into Hiding After Buhari's Victory / Shehu Sani Goes Into Hiding After Babakura Fugu's Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts by cre8tivity(f): 2:45pm On Jan 29, 2009
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200901292223681
Ribadu in hiding after assassination attempts — Lawyers

Published: Thursday, 29 Jan 2009

Lawyers to the former Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Wednesday told the Code of Conduct Tribunal that the ex-police officer was in hiding because of assassination attempts on his life.

According to the lead lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, “Presently, my client is still taking care of his life, after his demotion and dismissal. His car was shot at and nothing was done to protect him, so he had decided to go underground.

“He will only appear if this tribunal will guarantee his safety.”

But the tribunal Chairman, Justice Constance Momoh, said that Ribadu must first appear before he could raise any objection to the jurisdiction of the tribunal.

She said that the tribunal had in the past ruled on similar applications by holding that it had powers to try former public officers.

She said, “That is our position, and we are not ready to hold otherwise. But the accused must appear first before we can take your objection.”

The tribunal threatened to issue a warrant for the arrest of the former EFCC chairman if he failed to appear before it to explain why he failed to declare his assets while in office.

Momoh issued the threat when she was told that Ribadu was not in court to plead to the charges against him.

She consequently adjourned the case to March 9 to give Ribadu another opportunity to appear and plead to the charges against him.

Falana had told the tribunal that his client would challenge the jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him.

He said that the offences under the Code of Conduct Act were meant only for serving public officers, arguing that since Ribadu had been dismissed from service, the Act no longer applied to him.

Meanwhile, the tribunal has discharged and acquitted the Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Mr. Timi Alaibe.

Also discharged and acquitted was the former chairman of the commission, Ambassador Sam Edem.

The tribunal held that since they had complied with the requirements of assets declaration, the Code of Conduct Bureau ought not to have charged them.

Momoh advised the bureau not to bring innocent citizens who had not violated the law.

She said, “We are not here to persecute anybody. Therefore, the bureau should do its investigation thoroughly before charging anyone before this tribunal.”

She held that Alaibe and Edem were wrongly charged.

Ribadu was charged for breach of Code of Conduct for his alleged failure to declare his assets when he assumed office as the chairman of the EFCC in April 2003 until he left.
Re: Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts by cre8tivity(f): 2:45pm On Jan 29, 2009
lol
my brothers and sisters, please tell me this is a joke, a big one.
Re: Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts by cre8tivity(f): 2:52pm On Jan 29, 2009
cre8tivity (f)   Re: Ribadu, Others Face Conduct Tribunal Jan. 28  Posted on: January 22, 2009, 07:26 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ribadu doesn't have 2 heads, he's a nigerian just like any one of us. let him go and defend himself and his careless operations during his time as efcc chairman. this is the only way we could accurately put together his good deeds. let's wait and see what he's going to come up with before jan 28 or on jan 28. ribadu as a bush-boy, i predict that he would be too busy studying political science at university of lagos, therefore, ribadu once again would avoid showing up on jan28.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-222715.0.html
Re: Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts by zomby(m): 4:12pm On Jan 29, 2009
It is not about Ribadu any more. His followers or pin-heads supporters need to be rounded up naked and set on fire. I think Nigerians are simply stupid fools and this will remain so for a very long time.
Ribadu just like others are taking us for a ride and the best we could do as fools is to praise him. nigerians make me sick.
Re: Breaking News: Ribadu In Hiding After Assassination Attempts by BigB11(m): 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2009
My friends and enemies, please access this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102438.0.html and take your time to carefully study all our comments. Who is fooling who would become clearer to everyone of us.

(1) (Reply)

Youths: A Future Without Hope? / At Last Iroko Has Won! / Awo’s Centenary: Honour For An Undying Philosopher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.