Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,487 members, 7,812,511 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala (32997 Views)

2016 Internally Generated Revenue By Geopolitical Region / Kachikwu Sign Joint Venture Deal Wit Shell,Chevron To Increase FG Revenue By $2B / Photo: No Government Can Fix Nigeria In 4years - Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by shegerun: 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
What a clown! This woman had six years under President Jonathan as a super minister and she did not implement these measures to boost our revenue. Instead,she superintendent over the depletion of our foreign reserve. Madam,take a hike.

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
Why is this lady trying to stay relevant? These suggestions she made, has she previously applied it and did it yield results?

Can she like disappear into oblivion! Come may, Buhari isn't gonna give her any position, so her cheap attempt to be relevant ain't working! We see through the bull crap!
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by ddeola: 12:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
Okonjo Iweala has FAILED ! Buhari's govt doesn't need your advice because you failed to prove yourself in this outgoing govt.

Go back to world bank with your theories, this govt of change is a practical govt
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
Empero1:
NOI and GEJ , through their management of our common wealth and leadership attributes respectively has justified the saying that higher formal education is not a true standard to measure ones intelligence and abilities in ones choosen profession in particular and life in general .
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by EniIre001(m): 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ok9oooooooooooooool shocked[sub][/sub][img][/img][img][/img]
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by mekaboy(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
ThoniaSlim:
Why is this lady trying to stay relevant? These suggestions she made, has she previously applied it and did it yield results?

Can she like disappear into oblivion! Come may, Buhari isn't gonna give her any position, so her cheap attempt to be relevant ain't working! We see through the bull crap!

You will find out what she is saying in 3 months time.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Ndawe(f): 12:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
the struggle to remain politically relevant in GMB's administration. You were with Jona for years and na now u con dey run mouth with these unrealistic solutions. Abeg take a seat ma angry
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by bogolobango(m): 12:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
xreal:
Is she in prison yet?
grin
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Blazinraj01(f): 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
Zoharariel:
Ngozi Okonjo Iweala a.k.a 50Naira Puff-Puff - Covertly working for the Imperialists to suppress our Economy since July 2003.
Heard The more we borrow from the imperialist, the more they have a say in our economy and decision making cos they don't get it back. We will always owe them one. cry

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by ugoonuoha: 12:26pm On Apr 16, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
Op, please leave madam Ngozi alone. I believe she was only a victim of our systemic deficiencies.

She neither presided over monstrous corruption nor legislated a bloated recurrent expenditure. She could only make the most of what she had.

So please cut her some slack. I don't think she is as bad as being projected. But all the same, she should have resigned from office, instead of going down with the ship.
I liked your comment and I agree with you almost entirely, save your last point. Whenever there's a conflict of opinion/principles/convictions in Service especially political appointees, one is left with two choices - resign or tarry and make the best out of it. If NOI had resigned in protest, GEJ would easily have appointed a more pliable minister e.g Aganga/Diezani/any other politician. One could argue that by staying on, NOI ensured a more competent, experienced hand was at the helms of affairs to limit the damage done. She has alluded to this in several interviews (she detests being an arm-chair critic; she'll rather shape the process in her own little way).
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by supereagle(m): 12:27pm On Apr 16, 2015
sCun:
She has tried her best for many years, she should let someone else try.
Soludo the solution please . Nigeria will gain from him.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by PassingShot(m): 12:27pm On Apr 16, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
Op, please leave madam Ngozi alone. I believe she was only a victim of our systemic deficiencies.

She neither presided over monstrous corruption nor legislated a bloated recurrent expenditure. She could only make the most of what she had.

So please cut her some slack. I don't think she is as bad as being projected. But all the same, she should have resigned from office, instead of going down with the ship.

I have said similar thing in the past. NOI's major mistake was not resigning in the face of all the atrocities of GEJ's regime.

What honourable people do is to resign in the situation she found herself. I guessed she was enjoying the fame and the monetary rewards.

PassingShot:
A great leader whose economic/financial policies cannot have positive effects on Nigerians.

A great leader who watches on as funds are stolen under her watch and could not find the courage to speak out or resign.

A great leader indeed!

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by nsiazu: 12:29pm On Apr 16, 2015
She have made a very beautiful nonsense speech. It really tells you how she's trying to cover up her nermesis by saying "Buhari pls give me another chance" But is using grammer. What made Jonathan's administration to fail is because of increased fuel prize because alot of Northerners are jobless and getting fuel at that rate was problem for them. So Mrs Iweala, prepare to leave because Buhari has plans for a new minister and can't work with a woman because women loves money too much......
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by ugoonuoha: 12:30pm On Apr 16, 2015
PassingShot:

I have said similar thing in the past. NOI's major mistake was not resigning in the face of all the atrocities of GEJ's regime.

What honourable people do is to resign in the situation she found herself. I guessed she was enjoying the fame and the monetary rewards.

I respectfully disagree. Please view my earlier comment above.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
It's time to hustle for job placement in a new administration. Okonjo Iweala,please go away.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by azzima(m): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2015
Soludo said it right, this is what happens when you pick a SECRETARY from the world bank to manage Nigeria's finance instead of the Real economists. Nigerians have been scammed AGAIN!!!!
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2015
Phillfree:
1. Increase tax( in a country where the average man lives below a dollar spending per day. Madam u need alabukun)

2. Increase V.A.T from 5% to 10%.[value added tax] in a country where there is absolutely no power supply. (Again one gbogbonise for u or 2 shots of monkey tail)

3. Restructure the entire NNPC and immediately consider PETROLEUM INDUSTRIAL BILL.. (u were wit jona for six years why u no tell am Instead u claim say subsidy move from 400 million to 1,2 trillion.. na wa ooo. Nigerians de drink fuel Olodo)

4, Build institutions designed for fighting corruption. (In a country where the president goes on national tv and says 'stealing is not corruption')

Abi this woman want make them retain her?..

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/how-buharis-govt-can-boost-revenue-by-okonjo-iweala/

The likes of you is one reason we are so dependent on oil and why our economy is in such a state it is now.

1) What is wrong with expanding tax collection drive? remember what Lagos did with Alpha beta and how the IGR has shot up since then, why can't we replicate that all across the federation? Imagine a state like Anambra with all the business there generating less than 2 Billion Naira. Go to Lagos which APC governed and model state and tell me how many type of taxes people pay there.. why are you opposing this?

2) Every time we keep shouting how poor we are in this country, are we the poorest country in Africa? Lets take a look at VAT in other African countries

Bostwana = 12%
Ghana = 15%
Morroco = 20%
South Africa = 14%
Namibia = 15%
Cape Verde = 15%
Chad = 18%
Congo = 18%
Cote d'ivoire = 18%

As matter of fact, Most EU countries have VAT of more than 20%. Are these countries above richer than Nigeria? I remember how you guys protested against subsidy removal during GEJ time, but now rejoicing that Buhari will remove it. I wouldn't be surprised if you come back tomorrow and start praising Buhari for increasing the VAT and expanding TAX like you are praising Fashola.

3) PIB is one area this new Government must work hard to pass since all previous governments has failed. And NNPC need total overhaul, check out it's compatriots in other countries, they are serious investment engine of the Government.

4) Institution to fight... remember elimination of Ghost workers, the e-Wallet, IPPIS and goPRS of GEJ government should be retained, improved and other measures added.

We must move away from 70-30% revenue in favour of oil sector if we want to move forward.

http://www.pwc.co.za/en/assets/pdf/overview-of-vat-in-africa-2011.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Boss13: 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
What is the basis of increasing VAT when the tax collection process is not effectively implemented. There are leakages in FIRS and that should be closed. Customs is a cabal and the practices there are horrific. I understand that each custom officers are given target and once these targets are achieved, the extra revenue goes into their personal pockets. This is absolutely wrong. NNPC is like a drug cartel in nigeria, their secretive operations are just unbelievable. The corporation seems to operate as if it is a country to itself.

Ngozi, permit me to call you that, it is only when you have effectively put these institutions to use and they are efficient in their duties, then you can think of increasing government revenue by increasing taxes. Madam, you should know that by increasing VAT, the prices of goods and services would skyrocket and that would create another problem - inflation and also electorate apathy.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Fourwinds: 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
Dis woman is EVIL. I don't just like her face again. What happened to d increase in fuel in 2012. I know she was part of d team dat advice GEJ to carry out d mission. Ok, d CABALS dat stole subsidy funds what has happened to dem. Very Stu..pid thing. Always looking for ways of pushing d load on d masses. Y didnt she tax deirselves dat have fives cars and above. What about d like of Deizani Madueke. Wicked people
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
One more bad advise before vacating the seat.thank God for change, see what we would have gone through.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by PassingShot(m): 12:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
ugoonuoha:

I respectfully disagree. Please view my earlier comment above.

ugoonuoha:

I liked your comment and I agree with you almost entirely, save your last point. Whenever there's a conflict of opinion/principles/convictions in Service especially political appointees, one is left with two choices - resign or tarry and make the best out of it. If NOI had resigned in protest, GEJ would easily have appointed a more pliable minister e.g Aganga/Diezani/any other politician. One could argue that by staying on, NOI ensured a more competent, experienced hand was at the helms of affairs to limit the damage done. She has alluded to this in several interviews (she detests being an arm-chair critic; she'll rather shape the process in her own little way).

The issue is, in what way has her staying on made us become better?

Why stay on when you're hardly able to make any meaningful impact?

Do you know that she has lost a lot of respect and honour by staying on with GEJ's regime which is known to be a failure generally?

Do you know that Barth Nnaji who resigned for some personal reasons (which we know had to do with how the government was handling the power sector privatization) still has his honor and respect intact?. Same can surely not be said of NOI.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by CashVessel(m): 12:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
I wonder why there's so much animosity in the air... Must the hatred you have for GEJ be visited on this woman who chose to serve her country well, even though not to your satisfaction? When she served with OBJ, she wasn't called names, how come she's now the devil and the thief and everything that's not good? Madam Ngozi is a technocrat, and as is her speciality, she gives advice on issues of economic importance, if you don't like her advice give a better one, or better still keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
So what stopped her from giving same advices to jonathan. Ma'am, keep you redundant advices to yourself.... Executive thief.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by 9jatatafo(m): 12:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
With her gele wey be like cap and her swell up cheek like person wey dey chop pofpof dey there dey advise person. She nor dey there when Uncle Jona and PDP deplete the ECA? Lubbish.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by stchinedu: 12:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
xreal:
Is she in prison yet?
You read my mind....
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by juman(m): 12:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
mulante:
I suspect that the APC government is going to introduce inheritance taxation in Nigeria. It's a good move with onerous implications for the tax payer. One could lose up to 40% or 60% of his inheritance depending on how benevolent or malevolent the lawmakers decide to be.

Inheritance tax is not possible in nigeria.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by dandoki: 12:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
GEJ gave this woman a blank cheque to operate the economy and she ran it aground. Now she is in Wshinghton enuciating policies she could not practicalize in the over five years she was in complete control of the Nigerian economy. Perhaps her thinking is that if she spoke from the citadel of the World Bank she would suceed in getting the in-coming administration so mesmerised that they would renew her appointment. Ngozi Wahala its better you realise finally that your own done finish for Naija. You better remain in Washinghton for the rest of your gaulible life. The only person you could ever hope to mesmerise is Jonathan from whom God hs already rescued us. You better stay where you are, when we need you to account for all your misdeeds we shall send for you. I know Obama would not hestitate to ship you back.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by logica(m): 12:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
LMAO
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by juman(m): 12:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
Thank God nigerians went with change.

Enough of pdp.

The way pdp runs the country if they run it for another 20 years, the country would still remain static.

Sai change.
Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Fourwinds: 12:53pm On Apr 16, 2015
ThoniaSlim:

Buhari need to declare d state of d nation's account before he begins. Because d way dis woman is talking seems d account is almost blank. Just imagine d borrowing dey have been embarking since whereas CABALS were busy stealing thru subsidy, NNPC, NPA, Custom Service, so many

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari's Government Can Boost Revenue BY Okonjo Iweala by Adelivinggreat(m): 12:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
Madam save your grammar for the anti-corruption agencies. GMB will not consider you in his cabinet if that's what you are lobbying for. Days of stealing is not corruption is OVER

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Was Never Kidnapped - Sahara Reporters / Update On Zamfara State Governorship Results / Rivers PDP Rivals Exchange Blows In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.