Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,649 members, 7,958,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:23 AM

Oshiomhole Suspends Council Chairman Over Financial Recklessness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Suspends Council Chairman Over Financial Recklessness (586 Views)

Oshiomhole Suspends Edo Traditional Ruler For One Year / EFCC To Arrest Ex INEC Chairman Over Oil Baron Bribe / Bayelsa PDP Suspends Chairman Over Diezani’s N40m Gift (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Suspends Council Chairman Over Financial Recklessness by MRLINGTON(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2015
Chairman of Owan West Local Government Area of Edo State, Mr. Godwin Aigbodion, has been suspended for two months over allegations of financial mismanagement and other related administrative irregularities.

A Commission of Enquiry has also been inaugurated to investigate mismanagement of the council fund.

Announcing the suspension at a meeting with members of the local government executive council and councilors on Wednesday at Government House, Benin City, Edo State, Governor Oshiomhole said the Vice Chairman of Owan West Local Government Area, Reginald Okuns, would be on saddle while the panel probes Aigbodion.

National Mirror correspondent reliably gathered that Aigbodion spends the council funds without the input or approval of his other executive members or legislators of the council.

Speaking at the meeting, Oshiomhole said: “We have tried in the past to call the chairman to have a good working relationship with his executive. We have now decided to set up a committee of enquiry to investigate these allegations, both financial and non-financial, within the provisions of the appropriate legislations of the Local Government Law.

“I have decided to exercise the powers vested in me to suspend the chairman during this period for the committee to investigate all t allegations and submit the report to me.

“So, with immediate effect, the chairman is suspended and a committee of enquiry is set up. In line with the rules, the vice chairman will act as chairman of the local government area. I direct the suspended chairman to stay away from the premises of the local government. When the committee is ready to sit, the committee will invite you and you will have ample opportunity to defend yourself against all the allegations.

“For now, we all have an issue at hand subject to the findings of the committee. So, I called you here as chairman, vice chairman and some of the councilors, I advise you to desist from doing things that will lead to violence or in any way lead to destruction. If anybody does anything that leads to rioting or protests or anything that would disrupt the peace of the community, the person will be exposing himself because the full weight of the law will be brought to bear.”
Re: Oshiomhole Suspends Council Chairman Over Financial Recklessness by Sandydayz(f): 10:05am On Apr 16, 2015
Na so!!!
Re: Oshiomhole Suspends Council Chairman Over Financial Recklessness by PassingShot(m): 10:10am On Apr 16, 2015
Very good one by the comrade governor

(1) (Reply)

NCC, NBC Failed Nigerians. / Buhari Expresses Delight At The Rescue Of Captured Girls And Women / Obasanjo Submits Report On How To Run Nigeria To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.