Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? (39176 Views)

Constitutionally What Happens When A President Is Sick. / Buhari As The Minister Of Petroleum - Constitutionally Right Or Wrong? / In Response To APC Calling A Constitutionally Setup Probe Panel Report IDIOTIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by folabayo1(f): 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
Dunno lipsrsealed
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by godofwar666(m): 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by uken73(m): 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
I think so.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
I think the Governor is more highly placed than a Minister in the Presidents Cabinet. ....
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
HonEmeritus:
Please Nairalanders, we are arguing about who is more superior constitutionally between the State Governor and a Federal Minister. Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Thank you very much for this question.
I had to ask it just yesterday due to the case of El-Rufai who won the governorship in Kaduna.
I was told that a Governor is a State's no. 1 citizen and he /she sits on FEC meetings with the President presiding.
Ministers don't have that luxury of the above etc.
By and by, governors rank higher up the food chain
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Chartey(m): 2:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
Nobody has yet quoted any portion of the constitution. Please see the topic again.

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
a minister can be party-less
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 17, 2015
constitutionally, a governor is superior to a Federal minister in terms of powerfulness of office but Nigerian law states that where there is conflict of interest between Federal law and state law , the federal law presides.

The Minister can only confer the interest of the President who appointed him but can never personally use his office to challenge the Governor.

Any Minister challenging any Governor can only do so on President's behalf via impunity but hierarchically, a Governor is highly superior to a Minister.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Blackblood247: 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2015
Governors are democratically elected while Ministers are merely selected, sorry..... appointed. The Governors have it. Gbam!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by jobsat34(m): 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
I will make this as simple as possible for u guys:

A state govnr is in charge of his state, a minister is in charge of his office that deals with every state of the federation.

A minister of education can say we shall operate a 3-4-5 system of eduction and all the state commissioners who are answerable to the state govnr must comply.

The state will work on regulations while the law will still prevail.

A Govnr seems higher than a minister because he is not answerable to a minster, but indirectly, he is.

Take for example, if the finance minister says all state accounts must be audited every month, no state govnr will refuse to comply. Their finance commissioners must submit an audit of the state to the ministry of finance. The audit must have the ascent of the state govnr so, indirectly, a state govnr answered to a minister.

Think abt it.

So, in recapitulation, a govnr cannot override a minister's order, but a minister can override a state's regulation as long as it doesn't confirm with the laws laid down thru his office.
undecided

so you mean you can resign as an "executive governor" of a state to take up "minister for special duties" appointment ba?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by omeddy: 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2015
By the constitution, the President, VP, Senate President, Speaker of the house of Rep and all 36 Governors enjoy immunity . They cannot be prosecuted while in office. However, the governors are very powerful in Nigeria because the constitution receognizes them. A minister is often nominated by a Governor to work with the president.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by anidan(m): 2:32pm On Apr 17, 2015
BekeeBuAgbara:
A minister resigns to contest for governorship election not the other way round, president controls a minister but can't control a governor.
but some ex governors re also ministers
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 17, 2015
Its like asking; Is cow-head bigger than goat-head ? The answer is YES. But goat-head has more nutritional value.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by holyokoto(m): 2:33pm On Apr 17, 2015
Yes of course
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by marketoro(m): 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2015
The Governor nominates ministers...there no way a minister can b superior to Governor

1 Like

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by holyokoto(m): 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
HonEmeritus:
Please Nairalanders, we are arguing about who is more superior constitutionally between the State Governor and a Federal Minister. Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Governor is some how more autonomous than the federal minister. Hence a Governor is more of superior to a minister (federal)
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by omeddy: 2:36pm On Apr 17, 2015
However, Ministerial appointment cannot be compared to a Governor. The President does not joke with a governor but a minister can be sacked without notice. Every minister is always loyal to the governor of his state. Governors also control huge budget and this makes them very powerful.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by kaboninc(m): 2:37pm On Apr 17, 2015
vivaciousvivi:

I had to ask it just yesterday due to the case of El-Rufai who won the governorship in Kaduna.
I was told that a Governor is a State's no. 1 citizen and he /she sits on FEC meetings with the President presiding.

Please review the bold part.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by jamillion: 2:38pm On Apr 17, 2015
In nigeria, they operate three ties of gov. Which are; federal,state and local government, each of this ties ar superior over the other but can not by the influence of his power oppress his subject due to the law that govern them. Federal ministries can't Be compared to state governors cos the Both ar on different ties of government, minister can not use his/her power over governors likewise governor over ministers.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by lonelydora: 2:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
HonEmeritus:

Same argument we had in the office 2 days ago.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by jobsat34(m): 2:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
BekeeBuAgbara:
A minister resigns to contest for governorship election not the other way round, president controls a minister but can't control a governor.

HonEmeritus:

I disagree with your submission. Was Ibrahim Shekarau, the current Minister of Education, not a former Governor in Kano?

lets view it from this direction.. will you resign as a Governor just because the president want to appoint you as a minister that can be fired even 3 days after appointment?..

i will even rate the legislators higher than a minister.. cos they can get a minister sacked. a minister is submissive to them one way or the other through various committee overseeing his basic job responsibility...
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
omeddy:
By the constitution, the President, VP, Senate President, Speaker of the house of Rep and all 36 Governors enjoy immunity . They cannot be prosecuted while in office. However, the governors are very powerful in Nigeria because the constitution receognizes them. A minister is often nominated by a Governor to work with the president.

I gladly wait the day that useless immunity clause will be expunged from the Constitution!

A governor is superior to a Minister!
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by delonz(m): 2:40pm On Apr 17, 2015
Minister is a political apoimtment position, while the governor is elected, a monster could be fired by the president at any point in time, but it's not possible to fire a governor like that, in the governor is more superior.
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 17, 2015
vivaciousvivi:

I beg to differ
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by ddippset(m): 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2015
Your question says 'superior', so the answer is YES, A MINISTER IS SUPERIOR TO A GOVERNOR. A governor is more powerful than a minister though because he is directly in charge of millions of people in his state. But a minister is in charge of a parastatal. A minister is just like a president, all duties of ministers are actually presidential duties. It's like a president dividing his duties into 36 parts: someone to handle defence, information, works, finance, etc. In a school boy's sense, the president is like the headboy, the ministers are like the school prefect, and the governors are Like the class monitors. Of course this class monitor has lots of 'powers' or take the military for instance, lower ranking soldiers like colonels and lt colonels were made governors while generals were made ministers. The minister is definitely superior to the governor.

4 Likes

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by Intendy: 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2015
HonEmeritus:
A governor is more superior.
1)A minister was appointed while a governor was elected
2)a minister can be sacked at anytime of the day while a governor can only be removed by impeachment or court of law or death
3)a minister is equivalent to a state commissioner at the federal level
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by capitolarena(m): 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2015
BiHung:
I know Wike is the one asking this question
very funny

3 Likes

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by gabicon: 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2015
A minister is a political appointee elected by the president to help him service the people, while a govonor is democratically elected by the people of the people and for the people. A govonors influence is miles away from that of a minister, governors even nominate ministers from their zones.

1 Like

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by chiedu7: 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2015
poppincash:
just look at what these dumb people are discussing. unschooled brats all of them

why the insults?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by ogaofficer(m): 2:42pm On Apr 17, 2015
All i know is that the Minister is in charge of the Federal duties while the state governor has dominion over his state alone. In conclusion the minister can do and undo anything in the state as long as it is a fedral goverment issue. Sorry my point is not supported constitionall y as stated in the ops topic. Tankz
Re: Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? by capitolarena(m): 2:43pm On Apr 17, 2015
Governor is superior....The governor sends a nominee from the state to the president who is appointed as minister...das all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady And Baby In IDP Camp Vs Lady Rescued From Boko Haram In Sambisa Forest / Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN / Feyi Fawehinmi: I’m Sorry If I Convinced Anyone To Vote For This Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.