Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria (2778 Views)

God Has Done It For Me, I Just Got A Good Job / Just Got A Pay Rise At The Office.. Hallelujah! / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by vickky(f): 8:34pm On Sep 07, 2006
i have a problem with deceiding what to do.I have bin tring to acquire a uk visa but was refuse at the point i applied

but then i was looking for a job and i didn't get one so i decieded to take the opportunity to get my masters. i

have job now and the embassy as granted my appeal.What do i do? Should i saty to continue my job or go for my masters?
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by edygirl(f): 8:38pm On Sep 07, 2006
Do both. People do it.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by Bhola(f): 1:14am On Sep 08, 2006
Sista to sista, stay put, unless, unless you absolutely have a terrible job. If you get to UK, how do you intend to pay for your tuition, accomodation, up-keep? Don't be decieved, life is not always greener on the other side.

I'll let the people in UK advice you more.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by ebubepaul(m): 8:05am On Sep 08, 2006
Men speak with carnal minds.I just want 2 tell u 2 wait upon the lORD in prayer,see yr pastor or just walk 2 a redeem christian church.He is JEHOVAH JIREH d GOD dat provideth.He is capable of sustaining u in UK.He fed his children with manna in the desert he can do d same 4 u.He knows best his desired green pasture 4 u.The lord is faithful.My brother this is d goodness of GOD upon yr life hope u ve danced b4 him and his children in thanksgiving and praise.God will show forth mightily in yr favour,in JESUS NAme,ameN!
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by ebubepaul(m): 8:11am On Sep 08, 2006
Men speak with carnal minds.I just want 2 tell u 2 wait upon the lORD in prayer,see yr pastor or just walk 2 a redeem christian church.He is JEHOVAH JIREH d GOD dat provideth.He is capable of sustaining u in UK.He fed his children with manna in the desert he can do d same 4 u.He knows best his desired green pasture 4 u.The lord is faithful.My brother this is d goodness of GOD upon yr life hope u ve danced b4 him and his children in thanksgiving and praise.God will show forth mightily in yr favour,in JESUS NAme,ameN!
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by ebubepaul(m): 8:15am On Sep 08, 2006
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by tharwoche: 8:50am On Sep 08, 2006
hello dear.dont be so confused,the more u say u are the more u will.so,start first by saying u are not confuse and that u know what to do in every situation though thats if u are a christian,then follow your heart,i tell u,u will be suprised at the end.cheers
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by Hardware(m): 8:54am On Sep 08, 2006
PAUL' BUT Y posting a reply several times, 
b  careful.

O girl, my own advice for u is to pray had so that u shouldn't lose d too places. Nothing prayer can't do. thanks

[b]Haradware 4 u[/b]
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by HH(m): 9:57am On Sep 08, 2006
have u realized that career in Nigeria now requires international certifications? my dear, if you have a means to finance your studies or your strong enough to work and school, RUN AWAY and return after your studies and i bet you, you will have better chances of getting even a better job here.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by itismd(m): 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2006
as they have been saying, PRAY and follow ur heart
my own is that its not that easy out there in uk. Its a good one, going out to get ur international certification, the question here is will you come back. u will end up staying believing that life is better there because of the better living standards. but u can't just make money there and enjoy it unlike here in Nigeria.
another thing is that we will miss u . another brain to develop their own courty.
Wel follow ur heart
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by MyPeace(f): 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2006
My dear my advice is leave the job, go there and get ur masters, i know of frnds without helpers over there doing their masters, definately u hv to work really hard to make both ends meet, in term of ur upkeep and ur education, but at last u will definately simile even if u come back to naija to continue ur career.

Abeg how much do u earn sef, that u no wan go to UK, when everybody will run for such offer? its ur opportunity, dont let it slip. God will surely see u thru.

Alternatively, if ur are HIGHLY PAID, u can stay put and do ur masters here.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by Osnon07(m): 2:10pm On Sep 08, 2006
well,i will advise you 2 seek the face of GOD as to what offer to take.To be frank with you going overseas may not guarantee your happiness and well being.I will advise you to pray about it. GOD BLESS !!!
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by saintchux(m): 2:24pm On Sep 08, 2006
Bhola:

Sista to sista, stay put, unless, unless you absolutely have a terrible job. If you get to UK, how do you intend to pay for your tuition, accomodation, up-keep? Don't be decieved, life is not always greener on the other side.

I'll let the people in UK advice you more.

Life is not easy anywhere, even here it is still not easy. If you can sponsor yourself, please don't waste time. Go and get your masters there. Here what is valued is certificate and not what you can do, that is why some university is more university than others and some graduates more graduate than others. Polytechnics graduates are not recognised as graduates, very soon state universities will join.

I know that when you come back with your masters. your masters will be more regonised than the masters here. I am seeking for admission in Uk for my masters too.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by candylips(m): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2006
it is much better for u to get ur msc in the uk because by the time u have the degree u will be able to get a better job if u decide to go back to nigeria
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by dammy0405(f): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2006
I also think it will be much more better for u to get your masters in the uk cos u'll really stand a better chance of getting a very good job if u decide to come back to Nigeria. Just continue to pray to God sha,Im sure He knows wat's good for us.Cheers
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:18pm On Sep 21, 2006
I'd say it's better to stay with the job. You can travel out later, right? Nigeria is developing, expanding.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by alinco2(f): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2006
give me one and take one.
one nigeria, peace !
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by candylips(m): 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2006
who told you nigeria is getting better and expanding. stop giving people false hope or advice .

like i said you are better of in the long run going for a masters. You would be more exposed to the ideal ways of doing thinsg which you can easily adapt if you ever wanna come back to nigeria and besides if you do come back to nigeria you would be an hotcake
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by forgiven(m): 3:46pm On Sep 23, 2006
depends on the course you are going for. if it is a course that is in high demand, like MBA, reservoir engr, oil and gas, NT security ect then u can sacrifice everyother thing and go for it. ur mates now will be your boys when you come back, even if you decide to continue with th e company you are with now.
but if you are going for a course like "let my people go" - food tech, detergent analysis, botany, etc as in u r going to Uk just because u want an out from 9ja, think it twice. UK's not an easy place. life's much better in 9ja. i am speaking from experience
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by johnharry2: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2006
Congrat, pls dont be confuse. Pray for God direction. But if i'm to be in ur shoe, i'll go for the master.
How did you win the appeal? Pls infor me all the step & how long it took them to grant u the visa, because i also appeal & i haven't heard from them.
Pls u can mail via: johnharry2@hotmail.com
I wish u the best.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by johnharry2: 12:29pm On Sep 25, 2006
Congrat, pls dont be confuse. Pray for God direction. But if i'm to be in ur shoe, i'll go for the master.
How did you win the appeal? Pls infor me all the step & how long it took them to grant u the visa, because i also appeal & i haven't heard from them.
I wish u the best.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by johnharry2: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2006
I wish u the best.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by omofineboy(m): 7:02am On Sep 27, 2006
if you have the funding go for your masters it will pay you at the end, but if not retain your job here and get a nigerian university master form. But if I were you I will go for my masters and face the challenges ok.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by jimmyj: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2006
[/color][color=#000099][color=#000099][/color]
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by jimmyj: 6:28pm On Sep 30, 2006
Please i need guard lines on how to process this uk visa please help me out pleaseeeeeee
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by okwanuzo3(f): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2006
i'm studying in the uk and i know if you have your tuition fees available then you don't have much of a problem because you can work 20hrs a week during term time and any amount of hrs during your vacation. you can actually sustain yourself, pay rent and bills.
however if you're going to struggle with tuition costs, and the job u have in nigeria's well paying, stay back and work a while in nigeria, because you mayn't be able to save for that.
once you've been granted a visa, it's easier to get another if you have good reason for not going when it was first issued.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by yahoo2(m): 10:45pm On Oct 01, 2006
My man , I honestly think you should go for your masters if you have the money for the tuition. When you are through with it you will be a hot cake in Nigeria here. I intend to do the same man. Enjoy.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 1:31pm On Oct 02, 2006
Seun:

I'd say it's better to stay with the job. You can travel out later, right? Nigeria is developing, expanding.

yes stay and do your job for a while then tell them you want to got for your masters

except you have a way to finance your studies in the U.K
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by princezino(m): 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2006
Congrats sis- I have a li'l story for you,
About a year ago I was also privileged to be at a similar crossroad, Circa Mar '05, I took the PTDF overseas scholarship test and succeeded. I was to do an MSc in Pet Engineering at Imperial college UK, all expenses paid by fgn. However, (all the atiku/etb/PTDF gist u fellas are hearing now is true o!!) things took a different twist. After we were invited to Abuja for the awards ceremony, the parastatal now said only 50 people would be sponsored, the rest of us were to wait till further notice (the award letters weren't given to us, can u believe!!). Fellas, the dissapointment is better imagined (after your name has been splashed in the dailies, and everyone-including your present boss knows!)
Well, I crept back to Lag, applied and started my annual leave, a few days later, a major oil producing multinational (I had been doing the recruitment runs even b4 the PTDF saga) invited me for medicals! less than a month later I was offered an experienced position (Field Engineering). I accepted gladly putting the PTDF case behind me. However a few months latter, after the fgn shakeup in parastatal heads, the new guys contacted us all and re-offered us the scholarships.
So came the crux: a fully paid Pet Eng MSc at Imperial (my dream & struggle since undergrad eng'g days); or continue my career here (I am yet to complete my mandatory 1 year probation mind u, ) I prayed; consulted (esp with students/people who are currently studying or working inthe UK); but it wasn't easy. After putting a lot of things into consideration (my age, viz a vis career paths) I have since busted the school offer. It still haunts me that I had to make a choice between these two ends, If only fgn/PTDF had allowed them to come 1 year apart, (lol)
So, Weigh things carefully, consult wisely, aim severally and once you shoot at your choice dont look back,
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by Bhola(f): 6:42pm On Oct 02, 2006
Prince, thanks for sharing your experience. Though, I will do otherwise. I mean, we are talking about Imperial College here, all expenses paid and ish. Yeah, age does not have anything to do with knowledge and education. I know in Nigeria, we have to put age and stuff on the CV. Believe me, acquiring a degree, any degree from Imperial College, will surely put your name on the right map.

I am sure, you are enjoying your work with Shell/Chevron.

Once again, if you don't have a way to pay for your tuition, please stay behind. Work and save your money, then you can go to UK and get your degree.
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by ejirobet: 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2006
just listen to what ur heart tells u and pray to God for direction God bless u
Re: Just Got A UK Visa And A Job In Nigeria by ell77(f): 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2006
I agree with alot of people on this site. I am currently studying in the UK. To best advise you we would need more information. What are the tuition fees? Do you have somewhere to stay? Is it a part-time or full-time masters? And I know this may be a stupid question but is it a student visa or an ordinary one? Does the visa permit you to work?

English degrees 'apparently' hold a lot of weight all over the world, so it would be a great opportunity if it is all expenses paid with accomodation and living expenses provided. But if not, you could blow it by coming too soon. Make sure you have enough a Masters degree can be anything from £3000 to £30,000 per year (N750,000 to N7.5million). Living expenses for the average person here has to be atleast £6000 per year but on average is probably £10-12,000 (N2.5million to N3 million). So assuming you have about 10 million Naira for a one year course if tuition fee £30,000 or 4 million Naira if tuition fee is £3000 then I say come running you may be able to tell your employer to wait for you while you further your education. They may spit at you or more likely (if you have faith) be impressed and flattered that you would still choose them as your top choice even after advancing yourself academically and have a 'provisonal' job waiting for you on return. Whatever the situation, research, hardwork and preparation is the key. If you can work in England that may be an option for a £3000p.a. tuition fee (pay in installments if they agree, and most uni's do), but just know it will be very hard. The very jobs you would not consider in Naija could be the jobs you find urself 'begging' for here even though you are by far overqualified - cleaning, nightwatchman (security guard), cleaning peoples bodies, street cleaner etc. Good luck if you prepare well as well as praying and having faith in your hardwork, your God and your convictions you could stand to gain alot! Hope that helps.

(1) (Reply)

First Bank Interview Shortlist / Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas / Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.