Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso (6664 Views)

Learning To Breed Dogs For Starters. / Help With A Getting A Friend's Caucasian Dog To Breed. / Info on Boerweiler and how to breed dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 9:00am On Apr 18, 2015
I am planning to get a white female lhasaapso this month end,but my worry is that I do not have much information about the dog,i mean its food ,medication and the rest .pls I need your help
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by knyte(m): 2:26pm On Apr 18, 2015
mystery1979:
I am planning to get a white female lhasaapso this month end,but my worry is that I do not have much information about the dog,i mean its food ,medication and the rest .pls I need your help

Ever owned a dog?
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by arcbay(m): 1:12pm On Apr 19, 2015
Hi there, lhasa apsos are a very delicate breed, you need a whole lot of enlightenment on the breed before u go get one... Low cost of feeding though as they don't eat as much as the heavy breeds. You need to be careful on the choice of vet too, cos as u know most drug administration are advised on body size and weight, any slight overdose might lead to lipsrsealed

You need to go learn how to groom a lhasa pup too, else ur pup will end up with a mass of tangled hairs...

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 12:43pm On Apr 20, 2015
no
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 12:51pm On Apr 20, 2015
I do not have any knowledge this breed of dog but I love it and wants to own one this month end,i will love it if any one with enough knowledge that is willing to help cos I do not like making mistake that can be avoided.
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 10:16am On May 08, 2015
ok
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by blasiangurl85(f): 1:10pm On May 08, 2015
Hello, I have owned lhasa's for many years so I can say that I at least have some knowledge on caring for them. First of all you really need to consider the cost of caring for such a delicate breed. I think someone already mentioned getting a good vet is number 1. Because they have to be weighed before administering some certain drugs. Also grooming is essential especially because the weather here is hot and they are hairy dogs, you might need to consider grooming them often. I personally never really had my dogs hair long because of how hot the weather can be. So you will need to consider either grooming them yourself or taking them to the vet to be groomed. In terms of feeding it could be a bit cheap because they don't eat so much but they have to be fed often. It really pains me when I see some lhasa apso dogs that have matted fur and clearly not been taken care of well. If you know you don't really have the time to dedicate to this breed. Please consider getting something else that might not be too demanding

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 1:58pm On May 08, 2015
Ireli apriciate ur advice,i go to work and come back by fivend my wife comes even late,my dota hav bin distubin me abt dog nd I promise to get her Lhasa since it can be kept inside the house.are u saying it is not possible since every one comes back late?
blasiangurl85:
Hello, I have owned lhasa's for many years so I can say that I at least have some knowledge on caring for them. First of all you really need to consider the cost of caring for such a delicate breed. I think someone already mentioned getting a good vet is number 1. Because they have to be weighed before administering some certain drugs. Also grooming is essential especially because the weather here is hot and they are hairy dogs, you might need to consider grooming them often. I personally never really had my dogs hair long because of how hot the weather can be. So you will need to consider either grooming them yourself or taking them to the vet to be groomed. In terms of feeding it could be a bit cheap because they don't eat so much but they have to be fed often. It really pains me when I see some lhasa apso dogs that have matted fur and clearly not been taken care of well. If you know you don't really have the time to dedicate to this breed. Please consider getting something else that might not be too demanding
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by blasiangurl85(f): 2:25pm On May 08, 2015
If you are getting a puppy, you need to feed it 3-4 times a day. You also have to dedicate time to house break the puppy so it doesn't pee and poo everywhere. Feeding it dry food can solve the feeding problem as you can just put food out in the morning so the pup can eat whenever it's hungry till someone gets home. Have you thought about getting a samoyed, they are cute and small and don't require as much grooming attention as a lhasa apso but still need extra attention though
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 3:17pm On May 08, 2015
blasiangurl85:
If you are getting a puppy, you need to feed it 3-4 times a day. You also have to dedicate time to house break the puppy so it doesn't pee and poo everywhere. Feeding it dry food can solve the feeding problem as you can just put food out in the morning so the pup can eat whenever it's hungry till someone gets home. Have you thought about getting a samoyed, they are cute and small and don't require as much grooming attention as a lhasa apso but still need extra attention though
I prefer Lhasa because of low cost in feeding it,wht do u think?
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by sweetpet(m): 4:32pm On May 08, 2015
Ya.. I curently av a 4mnth fawn color female 4sale add on whtsap 4 info 08163958866
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by blasiangurl85(f): 6:09pm On May 08, 2015
mystery1979:
I prefer Lhasa because of low cost in feeding it,wht do u think?
Feeding requirements would be similar for both dogs as they are both small. just consider the pros and cons of having a lhasa apso especially the grooming part of it. And they are also known to get eye infections and even blindness when proper care isn't taken to grooming the eye area. I always kept my dogs hair low because I knew the risk. I've attached a pic of how low I groomed him

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by coolsegun2002: 6:56pm On May 08, 2015
mystery1979:
I got my self one about a year ago...white with a little shade of black..very wonderful breed..doesn't eat much.? I don't think so...I think I spoilt mine with chicken..don't mind me, shoprite is stone throw away from my place..I get cheap chiken nd chicken bones..dexter can eat a whole chicken if u give him the chance..but the usual dog food .. Or indomie..he doesn't eat those much...the hard part is the trainning nd grooming...I basically don't allow mine go out cos of ticks..but still it got infested one time a friend came over with his GSD...damn!! Ticks are hard to control on lhasa...I had to shave the whole hair..looked like rat for one month...mine likes rice nd stew with chicken..or indomie with stew nd chicken,,..or just chiken nd bones..all in all..u shuldnt have a problem if u are dog lover..the love for dogs will keep u going when d ishh comes

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 9:31am On May 09, 2015
coolsegun2002:

I got my self one about a year ago...white with a little shade of black..very wonderful breed..doesn't eat much.? I don't think so...I think I spoilt mine with chicken..don't mind me, shoprite is stone throw away from my place..I get cheap chiken nd chicken bones..dexter can eat a whole chicken if u give him the chance..but the usual dog food .. Or indomie..he doesn't eat those much...the hard part is the trainning nd grooming...I basically don't allow mine go out cos of ticks..but still it got infested one time a friend came over with his GSD...damn!! Ticks are hard to control on lhasa...I had to shave the whole hair..looked like rat for one month...mine likes rice nd stew with chicken..or indomie with stew nd chicken,,..or just chiken nd bones..all in all..u shuldnt have a problem if u are dog lover..the love for dogs will keep u going when d ishh comes
I wud hav gotn one last month but decided to wait and inquire from experience dude and people who have lhasa,my prolem is that
1,i had Lhasa is not compatable with children and I have two kids
2,it is not good to keep dem alone for longer period,i,my wife and kids goes out and returns somtims by 6pm
3,can I do d grooming myself?
4,i learnt that it takes patience from d owner for it it obey instructions,since I wont be around always,will it respond to obedience training because I will only hav that time on Saturdays and sundays
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by coolsegun2002: 11:02am On May 09, 2015
mystery1979:
I wud hav gotn one last month but decided to wait and inquire from experience dude and people who have lhasa,my prolem is that
1,i had Lhasa is not compatable with children and I have two kids
2,it is not good to keep dem alone for longer period,i,my wife and kids goes out and returns somtims by 6pm
3,can I do d grooming myself?
4,i learnt that it takes patience from d owner for it it obey instructions,since I wont be around always,will it respond to obedience training because I will only hav that time on Saturdays and sundays

I'm not a dog expert..but I'll answer u based on my own dog owner experience..
1)Lhasas are the playful bred I've ever seen..the like to show off..standing on their two hind legs for up to 8-10 seconds..ther are not violent , they are very great with kids..
2)Unless u wanna travel I dontunderstand what u mean by too long..if going out in the mmorning nd cming back home from workin d evening is the issue..bone story I work in a bank..nd I have a lhasa nd caucasian sherperd..u'll be fine..its not a rott dat can attack u cos it hasn't eaten for a couple of hrs..
3)If ucan afford paying for proffesional touch,by all means do...but I do mine myself..I got a scissors or clipper..

4)Yeah !!!paitience is key with any breed...but I think their playfulness makes every command u give dem wheather hand movement or voice comand seem like u playing with dem..so dey keep jumping nd showing off by standing on their 2 hind legs....me I introduced koboko when dexter likes to pee nd poo every where

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by mystery1979: 11:31am On May 09, 2015
coolsegun2002:

I'm not a dog expert..but I'll answer u based on my own dog owner experience..
1)Lhasas are the playful bred I've ever seen..the like to show off..standing on their two hind legs for up to 8-10 seconds..ther are not violent , they are very great with kids..
2)Unless u wanna travel I dontunderstand what u mean by too long..if going out in the mmorning nd cming back home from workin d evening is the issue..bone story I work in a bank..nd I have a lhasa nd caucasian sherperd..u'll be fine..its not a rott dat can attack u cos it hasn't eaten for a couple of hrs..
3)If ucan afford paying for proffesional touch,by all means do...but I do mine myself..I got a scissors or clipper..

4)Yeah !!!paitience is key with any breed...but I think their playfulness makes every command u give dem wheather hand movement or voice comand seem like u playing with dem..so dey keep jumping nd showing off by standing on their 2 hind legs....me I introduced koboko when dexter likes to pee nd poo every where
bros tanks for ur concern but I am getting confused the more,i got to know from the net that Lhasa are not good with kids,they shouldn't be left alone and so on.how much does grooming cost and how many times will it be groomed a year?
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by coolsegun2002: 2:06pm On May 09, 2015
mystery1979:
bros tanks for ur concern but I am getting confused the more,i got to know from the net that Lhasa are not good with kids,they shouldn't be left alone and so on.how much does grooming cost and how many times will it be groomed a year?

Internet is a bunch of information loaded by people with their own views nd experience ..how can a dog not mor dan 2 feet,playful like hell,not violent,not be good for kids..a 3-4 year old can handle a lhasa....I play catch nd throw with my lhasa when I come home..nd I leave him in the house..he's not destructive like the cauc..dat one eats anything including metal....the grooming are usually done by vets...they have various style ..they can help u ponytail ur dog if its a female..mostly 5k to 7k..nd I think the frequency depends on u or when the coat starts getting bushy

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by barcaboi(m): 12:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
blasiangurl85:
which shampoo do u use to make their haor whiter
Re: What Does It Take To Breed Lhasa Apso by barcaboi(m): 12:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
blasiangurl85:
which shampoo do u use to make their hair whiter.

(1) (Reply)

8 Weeks German Shepherds Puppies, For Sale (pics) , LAGOS. / Erator Of Household(ddr,dog WITH HAMMER HEAD) / Must SeeĀ»this Giant Snake Swallowed A Primary 6 Girl At Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.