Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,199 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice (6060 Views)

Rethinking South East Political Stand 2019 / The South South And The Niger Delta People's Thread / Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 18, 2015
This thread is in response to the thread copied from ThisDay titled
"APC Zones Senate Presidency To N'central, Speaker To N'east"
https://www.nairaland.com/2263098/apc-zones-senate-presidency-ncentral

According to the article, the positions of Senate President, Deputy Senate President, Speaker Federal House of Representative and Deputy Speaker of the House has been zoned to the North Central, South West, North East and South South respectively by the incoming APC administration. Several posters made comments that bothers on the "loss" of the South East and South South regions for not aligning with the APC.

Any Regional Value With Those Positions?
What value or benefit is associated with the positions of Senate President and House of Representatives Speaker?

Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe was the Senate President in 1960. When he was elected "President", he was replaced with late Dennis Osadebay from Delta State. Osadebe remained in the saddle between 1960 and 1963. Osadebe was succeeded by late Orizu Nwafor, who held the position between 1963 and 1966. In the second republic, the position was occupied by Chief Joseph Wayas from Cross river state. Wayas held it between 1979 to 1983. His tenure was truncated by Buhari's military coup.

Since the return of democracy in 1999, the office has been occupied by FIVE Senators from the South East region. They are Evan Enwerem (1999), Dr Chuba Okadigbo (1999–2000), Anyim Pius Anyim (2000–2003), Adolphus Wabara (2003–2005) and Ken Nnamani (2005–2007)

Similarly, the South East has produced two Speakers of the House of Representative- Jaja Wachuku(1959-1960) and Edwin Ume-Ezeoke (1979–1983).

Did the positions of Senate President and Speaker of the House attract project to the two zones? How has the positions helped in actualising the regional agenda of the SE and SS despite producing occupants in the past?

APC and Political (and Emotional) Blackmail
The All Progressive Congress and their supporters have consistently launched emotional and political blackmail against the SS and SE regions to coerce them into aligning with the party(APC). The aim of this blackmail is simply to achieve a one-party state. It is not about ideology or development but solely on partisanship. Few days after Buhari was declared President-elect, Rochas Okorocha threw punch at the Igbos. He called his "own" people "myopic" and small brain. In his own word...

“Gentlemen, the truth is that one of them(referring to Ngige and Izunazo) should have been Senate President of Nigeria. But our people, in their myopic thinking, in the smallness of their brain could not see the light and today this act of theirs has denied Ndigbo the Senate President, this act has denied Ndigbo the Speaker of the Federal House. I weep, I weep that this kind of thing can be allowed to happen here.”

The Hypocrisy of The APC:
In 2011 the then Speaker of the House Dimeji Bankole lost his re-election bid. The PDP zoned the position to the South West, with Mrs Mulikat Adeola-Akande as the preferred choice. The APC(Then ACN) instructed their members to liase with Tambawal group to ensure Tambawal, a Sokoto man emerges Speaker. Majority of then ACN(APC) Reps as at then were Yorubas just like Mulikat. If the position is so influential and important to the growth of the Yoruba nation why then did Yorubas in the ACN kicked against Mulikat in 2011? Is this not hypocrisy?

Nothing Lost and Nothing To Lose:
Considering that the positions of SP and Speaker only benefit the occupant and his family, the SS and SE did not lose anything in their new role as opposition. On the flip side, it will build the desired political awareness and catalyse sophistication in the established political players in two zones. The people of South South and South East must be resolute in their position of being in opposition and consolidate on their socio-political alliance if they are to achieve anything within the Nigeria state. Defecting or regretting will mean maintaining the status quo of inequality, marginalisation and playing second fiddle in the incoming political dispensation.

Conclusion
The APC and their supporters should channel their energy and resources to fulfilling their campaign promises. They should desist from this inglorious path of blackmail and respect the will of the people. The SS and SE have chosen to remain with the PDP, APC should live with it.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 12:31pm On Apr 18, 2015
Bros, it's time to stop crying. It's almost a month.

38 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 12:33pm On Apr 18, 2015
The SS and SE have chosen to remain with the PDP, APC should live with it.
But why are the Abians crying that they don't want Ochendo?? Is Ochendo not PDP or is Abia not a SE state?? grin grin
Bunch of hopeless hypocrites!

Ochendo till 2023
Ochendo my role model!! grin

34 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 18, 2015
MrIncrediible:

But why are the Abians crying that they don't want Ochendo?? Is Ochendo not PDP or is Abia not a SE state?? grin grin
Bunch of hopeless hypocrites!

Ochendo till 2023
Ochendo my role model!! grin
Abians are divided between PDP and APGA. Same with Anambra. PDP and APGA may be rivals when it comes to local politics, but are allies as long as National politics is concerned.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 12:39pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:
Abians are divided between PDP and APGA. Same with Anambra. PDP and APGA may be rivals when it comes to local politics, but are allies as long as National politics is concerned.
Makes no difference, what is good for the National Level should also be good for the State level. The Abians in particular should embrace PDP and stop complaining.

Ochendo my Hero! Up Ochendo!

27 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 18, 2015
MrIncrediible:

Makes no difference, what is good for the National Level should also be good for the State level. The Abians in particular should embrace PDP and stop complaining.

Ochendo my Hero! Up Ochendo!
Allow the Abians to their choice. Is that so hard to grasp?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 12:47pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:
Allow the Abians to their choice. Is that so hard to grasp?
I think it's you who should allow Abians to their choice instead of forcing them into your "SS and SE is for PDP" assertion.

Ochendo my hero!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 18, 2015
MrIncrediible:

I think it's you who should allow Abians to their choice instead of forcing them into your "SS and SE is for PDP" assertion.

Ochendo my hero!
I can see that you are troilling... tongue

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by vivalavida(m): 12:52pm On Apr 18, 2015
Let them keep the positions. If only those positions will wipe out the level of poverty in the north,reduce the almajiris there and also remove the high number of agberos in uniform chasing buses with canes in hand in the south west.
We dont need those positions. We are unapologetic for our political leanings.
And we are better off than u lotz.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Rich4god(m): 12:53pm On Apr 18, 2015
This is democracy, every body should have a right to vote for any party or candidate....

I don't knw why the SE are been bashed for voting PDP... What about the northern state where PDP won, will you call that tribalism or what....

Other region voted for their choice... Dem say na good citizenship.... SE voted, e turn tribalism.... The double standard in this country is too much.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Ib0t0t0deysmell: 12:54pm On Apr 18, 2015
PDP MUST WIN IN ABIA STATE

T. A ORJI MY HERO

OCHENDO FOR LIFE

9 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 12:57pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:
I can see that you are troilling... tongue
I'm not trolling. I just dey tell you how the thing be.
If you look at the trend, released press statements since Jonathan was shamelessly flushed out as well as threads that graced this section, it was obvious the SE and SS people were even crying and disturbing everyone. APC is not disturbing SS or SE, it's SS and SE that should in turn settle down and plan their new status as the opposition instead of looking for cheap relevance everywhere.

25 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by saintneo(m): 12:58pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:

The Hypocrisy of The APC:
In 2011 the then Speaker of the House Dimeji
Bankole lost his re-election bid. The PDP zoned
the position to the South West, with Mrs
Mulikat Adeola-Akande as the preferred choice.
The APC(Then ACN) instructed their members
to liase with Tambawal group to ensure
Tambawal, a Sokoto man emerges Speaker.
Majority of then ACN(APC) Reps as at then
were Yorubas just like Mulikat. If the position
is so influential and important to the growth of
the Yoruba nation why then did Yorubas in the
ACN kicked against Mulikat in 2011? Is this not
hypocrisy?

Can we say that ACN rejection of the post of Speaker affirmed their interest in creating a super opposition? Probably, it was silly to reject the position but it also prevented the encroachment of PDP in the southwest. If Mulikat became speaker possibly ACN could have had some reps/senators crossover to PDP.

2 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 18, 2015
This country can never see development until we jettison this politics of geography and quota system . @op is right, political positions in Nigeria are for the benefits of family and friends primarily.

7 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Ib0t0t0deysmell: 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2015
vivalavida:
Let them keep the positions. If only those positions will wipe out the level of poverty in the north,reduce the almajiris there and also remove the high number of agberos in uniform chasing buses with canes in hand in the south west.
We dont need those positions. We are unapologetic for our political leanings.
And we are better off than u lotz.
. And is that the reason why your Heebo brothers were blaming the Yorubas because Jonathan's PDP government refused to build you a seaport?

https://www.nairaland.com/2261584/yoruba-plot-kill-ibaka-deep

15 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2015
Rich4god:
This is democracy, every body should have a right to vote for any party or candidate....
I don't knw why the SE are been bashed for voting PDP... What about the northern state where PDP won, will you call that tribalism or what....
Other region voted for their choice... Dem say na good citizenship.... SE voted, e turn tribalism.... The double standard in this country is too much.
This has been the modus operandi of the APC. The party does not understand freedom of choice and right to choose. The PDP never abused the far north for voting for Presidential candidate CPC in 2011. Nobody told the SW how they have "lost out politically" for voting ACN in their respective States elections in 2011. In fact, when the ACN leaders kicked against Mulikat their kinswoman to favor Tambawal, a Sokoto man, nobody blasted them for shutting themselves out of "prominence". Why can't APC and their supporters learn to be "democratic"?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by vivalavida(m): 1:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
Ib0t0t0deysmell:
. And is that the reason why your Heebo borthers were blaming the Yorubas because Jonathan's PDP government refused to build you a seaport?

https://www.nairaland.com/2261584/yoruba-plot-kill-ibaka-deep

Biko,it is not every tom dick and harry that quotes me. So Bleep outta ma sight

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by kennyalao: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2015
MrIncrediible:
Bros, it's time to stop crying. It's almost a month.
Rather APC should stop crying on behalf of SE that have chosen its polical alliance as it deems fit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by ChinemeOkpan: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2015
Another baseless submission from Nairaland's Chief Pseudo Analyst

Grow up!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2015
saintneo:

Can we say that ACN rejection of the post of Speaker affirmed their interest in creating a super opposition? Probably, it was silly to reject the position but it also prevented the encroachment of PDP in the southwest. If Mulikat became speaker possibly ACN could have had some reps/senators crossover to PDP.
I disagree with your last sentence. The position of Speaker carries no "real" weight politically. Dimeji Bankole was Speaker between 2007 and 2011, it never prevented him to lose woefully in his re-election bid neither did it prevent ACN(APC) from taking over the SW in 2011. David Mark has been Senate President since 2007, it never stopped APC from gaining upper hand in Benue State(winning 2 Senate and Governor seats).

3 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by MrIncrediible(m): 1:08pm On Apr 18, 2015
kennyalao:

Rather APC should stop crying on behalf of SE that have chosen its polical alliance as it deems fit
Bros are you in this country?? TO be sincere, since Jonathan's defeat, the SS and SE have been crying more.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by dinachi(m): 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2015
@barcanista, I think you should leave the south east out of your imaginary coalition with south south. It is time to do stock taking and I believe that my people having realized the deception and hollowness of the supposed coalition will realign themselves to be relevant in national politics. Ndigbo supported Jonathan overwhelmingly, let us see how you nigerdelta will support Igbos as we move on. And please stop trying to degrade and patronize Igbos by pretending that Senate Presidency and Speakership means nothing. Nothing can be farther from the truth! Seeing that Igbos lost these positions due to blind support for the disappointing Jonathan, can you please stop rubbing salt into injury and allow Igbos to mourn their loss of these positions quietly.#peace

25 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 18, 2015
dinachi:
@barcanista, I think you should leave the south east out of your imaginary coalition with south south. It is time to do stock taking and I believe that my people having realized the deception and hollowness of the supposed coalition will realign themselves to be relevant in national politics. Ndigbo supported Jonathan overwhelmingly, let us see how you nigerdelta will support Igbos as we move on. And please stop trying to degrade and patronize Igbos by pretending that Senate Presidency and Speakership means nothing. Nothing can be farther from the truth! Seeing that Igbos lost these positions due to blind support for the disappointing Jonathan, can you please stop rubbing salt into injury and allow Igbos to mourn their loss of these positions quietly.#peace
I'd have taken you serious but seeing that you are an APC suopporter, I expect nothing less. You should rather tell us what influence or benefit a region get for producing Senate President and House Speaker.

8 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by PassingShot(m): 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
Learn to understand that ACN is not exactly the same as APC even though the former is an integral part ofthe later. Whatever ACN did wrongly cannot be ascribed to APC.

Secondly, the position of senate president should come with a lot of influence if the occupier of that office is not selfish but pursue an ambition of his zone.

Lastly, APC has not engaged in any political or emotional blackmail. That they cannot zone the senate presidency to SE/SS is understandable and they have not asked anyone from these zones to decamp in order to make him the senate president.

Get over the election loss and play your opposition role well.

21 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 18, 2015
this nijiryan poopoo sef .

always hating s s / s e .

stick to your lasgidi and lagoon .

leave s s / s e alone we are foreigners in lagos in Nigeria .

s s / s e power arise .

2 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:

my bros i'm here . i'm with you .

you have me here as a shield bros . i'm giving you all my like's brother .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 18, 2015
PassingShot:
Learn to understand that ACN is not exactly the same as APC even though the former is an integral part ofthe later. Whatever ACN did wrongly cannot be ascribed to APC.

Secondly, the position of senate president should come with a lot of influence if the occupier of that office is not selfish but pursue an ambition of his zone.

Lastly, APC has not engaged in any political or emotional blackmail. That they cannot zone the senate presidency to SE/SS is understandable and they have not asked anyone from these zones to decamp in order to make him the senate president.

Get over the election loss and play your opposition role well.
1. You can't dissociate ACN from APC(No matter how hard you try).

2. This is a typical example of Emotional blackmail
“Gentlemen, the truth is that one of them(referring to Ngige and Izunazo) should have been Senate President of Nigeria. But our people, in their myopic thinking, in the smallness of their brain could not see the light and today this act of theirs has denied Ndigbo the Senate President, this act has denied Ndigbo the Speaker of the Federal House. I weep, I weep that this kind of thing can be allowed to happen here.”-Rochas Okorocha, April 4, 2015.

And should I show you another?

3. What "real" influence is attached to the office?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2015
What is APC offering the three Representatives from Imo State?

If one of them doesn't emerge as the Speaker, then Rochas has been duped.

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by giantstrides(m): 1:40pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:
This has been the modus operandi of the APC. The party does not understand freedom of choice and right to choose. The PDP never abused the far north for voting for Presidential candidate CPC in 2011. Nobody told the SW how they have "lost out politically" for voting ACN in their respective States elections in 2011. In fact, when the ACN leaders kicked against Mulikat their kinswoman to favor Tambawal, a Sokoto man, nobody blasted them for shutting themselves out of "prominence". Why can't APC and their supporters learn to be "democratic"?

But the reality on ground is that the South East put all their eggs in one basket, we don't need the APC to tell us that. A Lot of us raised alarm about it before the election, even yourself included, but we were not paid heed. So let the SE/SS leaders sit down and plan for 2019, the SW did it after 2011 and it led to the formation of APC.

4 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by pazienza(m): 1:44pm On Apr 18, 2015
dinachi:

And what is your solution? We should continue crying over spilled milk rather that start forming alliances that will help us in the future?

Are you blind to see that anything that benefits the SS benefits the SE too? Ikot ekpene. and Uyo are closer to Abia than to Delta, Bayelsa or Edo, anything sited there will benefit the Igbo man more than the Urhobos who live far away.

Abraka is closer to Asaba than to Cross River, anything sited there will Benefit Ndiigbo more than the Efiks.

Portharcourt is closer to Aba than to Bini city, anything sited there will Benefit Ndiigbo more than even those in Yenegoa.

As you can see, SS/SE alliance is the right way to go. None of us can stop that alliance, we can decide to wallow in past induced grievances or sit up and look more at the future.

SE support of GEJ was the right move, reverse the hands of time, even with the benefit of hindsight, Ndiigbo will still support GEJ, with more numbers to counter balance the 2 million plus deficit that caused GEJ defeat. SE can never regret our support for GEJ, make no mistake about that.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by help3852: 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2015
barcanista:
Pdp is not doing well in those states. Lets face reality. This is why ACN won most states in SW

3 Likes

Re: In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
I see nothing new in this thread, though I expected better from the op. It's the same rehashed discourse of regional hate and emptiness resulting from GEJ's loss at the polls.

The elections are over! It's time for nation building! It's time we buried regional hatred!

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CNN To Rotimi Amaechi,you Are Nigeria's Most Corrupt Politician / Ipob Goes Violent, Clash With Hausa Community In Rivers State, 4 Killed (photos) / Hon Victor Ngumah Receives Royalty Young Political Personality Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.