Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money (22204 Views)

Oil To Fund 27% Of N7.3tr 2017 Budget - Daily Trust / If You Lose The Election, Accept Defeat – Jonathan Tells Tanzanian Politicians / May 29 Handover Date Sacrosanct, Jonathan Tells US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by crownprince102: 8:11am On Apr 19, 2015
josh21:
So It is GEj that caused it right?
No, It was Abacha or Babangida.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by crownprince102: 8:25am On Apr 19, 2015
xandy84:
Am a beneficiary of free education from elementary to tertiary education but good things does not come cheap. I school in Unilag and also had the opportunity to visit Chicago state university, University of Illinois at Chicago and i can tell the different. Free education does come with sub standard and low quality of education. America is the most prosperous country in the world and her citizen pays for tertiary education.
As long as we want free education, we should also expect low quality cos tertiary education does not come cheap. My opinion.

Thanks, I perfectly understand your point from A to Z but I guess you know the standard of living in United State is higher than that of Nigeria.

The minimum income of an average American is incomparable with a Nigerian. The exchange rate explain it all.

Nigerian workers minimum wages is 18,000/month. That's $90 a month, even in Zimbabwe, as callous Mugabe is, workers earn a minimum of $300.

Petrol is sold for N100, cost of food and living is generally high. A man earn $90 and he has 3 children. A federal university in Nigeria today pays $500 excluding other necessary fees. How will this man survive this?

$500 and student still pay, yet the standard is not something to write about. You will understand properly if you know the standard of universities like Cape Town university, University of Johanesburg, University of Cairo. Even Kenyan university now ranks higher than ours.

Do we really have a solid future?
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by crownprince102: 8:30am On Apr 19, 2015
nedupel:
Na illlitrate buhari go help u?
Wet in he know about school?
What was a man with doctorate degree with no thesis able to do?

He only downgraded its standard. Ask GEJ himself if he ever went on 2 week strike during his university days but you went on 6 month and you still want him to continue. Are you with your right senses?

Stupidity is when you stay idle for 6 month at home and yet the aim wasn't achieve and you shout "GEJ till 2019".
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 19, 2015
nedupel:
its only an irresponsible man like you that blames your failure on the government.
Responsible men move on no matter the challenges
They
Make the environment conducive for them self
Grow up!

What is this one saying? You just proved to me that you are daft. Do you have electricity in your house. Bet you have a Gen set. Do you have water in your house provided by the govt. Bet you have a borehole or well you get water from. What is the rate of unemployment in this country. Are things meant to be like this? No. After all we pay our taxes. What are the taxes used for? There are so many countries worldwide who do not have as much resources as we have,England for eg, who depend on taxes alone. Power, water and a whole lot more have been and are bring provided for their inhabitants. And you cone here and spew rubbish. Abeg park well.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by holatin(m): 9:35am On Apr 19, 2015
geeluck1:

He's best in almost all aforementioned if u'r sensible enough and have been following his policies in agric, economy, insurgence etc
abeg back the mentioned with links asap
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by ohzee(f): 10:19am On Apr 19, 2015
emy77:

Mister, u are very wrong!!! TETFUND has nothing to do with that. It is meant for infrastructural development across federal universities in Nigeria.

This is so not true. I have colleagues who are currently undergoing PhD programs in UK universities FULLY sponsored by TETFUND. I also know some in the process of getting theirs. They sign a bond to come back after their studies. I am also aware that there is enough funding for research now. For institutional based research, you can access up to 2 million naira. For national research the ceiling is 20 million. In the past, lecturers complained of lack of funding for research. Now, the money is here, unfortunately many do not have bright ideas because our educational system from primary school does not encourage creative thinking. It is always cram and cram and pass exams.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by mceze(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2015
Flets:
Sometimes I ask what Buhari intends to do differently.

Even in the proposed fight against corruption, all we hear are jails, prosecution and punitive measures which cannot eliminate corruption in itself. So much noise, hype and propaganda. Without strengthening our institutions and putting in systems to check sharp practices like GEJ was doing ..... corruption will continue unabated across board

It might take some time for the average Nigerian to discern but very sensible minds understand already that we lost GEJ ....... he didn't lose.
U are a big foooool 4 making that last statement..Jonathan is inept,clueless,weak and corrupt
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by babeface3: 10:39am On Apr 19, 2015
TETFUND has gone the way of other moneys. It has been seen as opportunity for academics to achieve like their politician counterparts.

Research is swept under the carpet and done peripherally and the rest of the money pocketed. You cant blame the academics because they earn peanuts as salary.

Have you wondered when a lecturer is building a good house and driving posh cars and you think its just handouts and stuffs.

If the proper things are not done, we shall continue to cry wolf cos there cant be peace without justice.

Look at the professors presenting election results and you will start weeping. These are no mere professor but Ivory Tower heads and egg heads.

May of them have never got any publication in an international journal or have a paper presented in an international conference.

Who is talking of TETFUND, its part of the largess. We can never be ranked with other universities even in Africa let alone Europe or America.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by omohanet(m): 11:16am On Apr 19, 2015
The monies should be monitor appropriately,
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nomswag: 11:32am On Apr 19, 2015
efilefun:
you na human or goat

O NOOO WE HAVE A BIGGER FOOL HERE
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2015
fekbam:

the tetfund can not be converted to personal use...the monies are paid tru the institutions directly into the account of the beneficiaries..the beneficiaries must be studying in the country or overseas at postgraduate levels, they also sign bonds to serve the institutions on the completion of their studies.

My friend,itz the easiest fund to be diverted....You think political office holders divert monies directly to em selves¿
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by saintdipo1: 12:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
Gej has failed Nigerians;he failed to do what God assk him to do but now it is too late for him, his corrupt wives;the likes of Okonjo Iweala,allisson Madueke,patience JONA,stella Odua has caused his downfall, Oga Jona's defeat is a lesson to all,he must suffer for his carefree attitude towards the poor masses, when he was in power he was busy squandering our money with his belligerent wife;making few corrupt people around him billionaires. My question is "where are those people now?they are nowhere to be found, where is Patience Jonathan now? Her face is covered with shame due to her pride. Oga jona is now saying he provided 1.3trillion for public universities, a campaign after election.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by xandy84: 2:28pm On Apr 19, 2015
First, we neeed a structural change in Nigeria. The government should only give students loans and grants not offering free education in tertiary level. What free education does is cheat the tax payers. For example. A rich family would still attend Unilag and pay same tuition paid my minimum wage worker..
I think the solution is total privatalization of the education system while the government subsidizes and give grants to indigent students and parents who can afford their wards tuition should pay for the education recieve. Doing such will allow the sector enough money for infastructure and research development.
In advance countries, tertiary education is completely deregulated and you know the cost of education you recieving and the government gives grants which is free and loans which is repayable with little interest. Is time Nigeria government tow this part of save the education sector from going from worse to complete disaster.

crownprince102:

Thanks, I perfectly understand your point from A to Z but I guess you know the standard of living in United State is higher than that of Nigeria.

The minimum income of an average American is incomparable with a Nigerian. The exchange rate explain it all.

Nigerian workers minimum wages is 18,000/month. That's $90 a month, even in Zimbabwe, as callous Mugabe is, workers earn a minimum of $300.

Petrol is sold for N100, cost of food and living is generally high. A man earn $90 and he has 3 children. A federal university in Nigeria today pays $500 excluding other necessary fees. How will this man survive this?

$500 and student still pay, yet the standard is not something to write about. You will understand properly if you know the standard of universities like Cape Town university, University of Johanesburg, University of Cairo. Even Kenyan university now ranks higher than ours.

Do we really have a solid future?

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by nedupel(m): 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2015
parkeration:

What is this one saying? You just proved to me that you are daft. Do you have electricity in your house. Bet you have a Gen set. Do you have water in your house provided by the govt. Bet you have a borehole or well you get water from. What is the rate of unemployment in this country. Are things meant to be like this? No. After all we pay our taxes. What are the taxes used for? There are so many countries worldwide who do not have as much resources as we have,England for eg, who depend on taxes alone. Power, water and a whole lot more have been and are bring provided for their inhabitants. And you cone here and spew rubbish. Abeg park well.
I dey park well dey enjoy my self o
Dey wait how buhari wan help u.
U wen get brain.
4 years go still waka
U still dey where u dey
I dey pack my jeep wells
Dey look you
Village man.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by nedupel(m): 3:26pm On Apr 19, 2015
crownprince102:

What was a man with doctorate degree with no thesis able to do?

He only downgraded its standard. Ask GEJ himself if he ever went on 2 week strike during his university days but you went on 6 month and you still want him to continue. Are you with your right senses?

Stupidity is when you stay idle for 6 month at home and yet the aim wasn't achieve and you shout "GEJ till 2019".

hmmmm
U still dey uni
Hahahaha
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by otemanuduno: 6:07pm On Apr 19, 2015
Curiouscity:

To use for what? The truth is most Nigerians wants to be spoon fed. Go to tetfund webesite http://www.tetfund.gov.ng/index.php/projects/reconcilled-projects you will see money for capital and developmental projects lying idle. All the money for conference attendance, publication and research grants have all been collected. Do you know why? Most VC's, deans, HODs or even lecturers can attend imaginary conferences, recycle research project and get funding yearly. But the money for capital projects need evidence of execution before another one is given. There is high level of corruption in our tertiary institutions. Is it too hard to show what you used the money for last year and demand for a new one?
Everyone hears that government is not funding research in our universities, who collects all the research grants listed?

Must the government do everything for us? Or put it differently, who are the government? Is it not me, U, our dad, mum, uncles, friends that are working in all these places? We are just too hard to please. Give the whiteman such an opportunity, U see what he uses it for.

Guy are u a staff of TETFUND? This one wey u just dey post their link up and down. All these TETFUND thing no concern me, na make them create employment be my own. If dem no wan access TETFUND make dem use the money construct industries for graduates nah! Abi na crime day make people dey employed?
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by otemanuduno: 6:16pm On Apr 19, 2015
xandy84:
First, we neeed a structural change in Nigeria. The government should only give students loans and grants not offering free education in tertiary level. What free education does is cheat the tax payers. For example. A rich family would still attend Unilag and pay same tuition paid my minimum wage worker..
I think the solution is total privatalization of the education system while the government subsidizes and give grants to indigent students and parents who can afford their wards tuition should pay for the education recieve. Doing such will allow the sector enough money for infastructure and research development.
In advance countries, tertiary education is completely deregulated and you know the cost of education you recieving and the government gives grants which is free and loans which is repayable with little interest. Is time Nigeria government tow this part of save the education sector from going from worse to complete disaster.

Privatisation of Education would be the worst thing that has ever happened to Nigeria. How many people can afford to send his children to the available private universities we have where they pay 2.5million per session? This will eventually leave 90% of Nigerian students as drop outs while 90% of the incoming ones would not bother going to the university.

You talked about subsidizing for the indigent ones. That is not possible because 90% of Nigerian students are indigent students and the govt, who haven't been able to offer scholarships to 1% of them, will surely not be able to cater for 90%. Also, anything government is a slow process that may take years to obtain what you should access within months. Those who did IT ten years back are still not paid their 'chicken change' of #15,000.

This country is blessed with 'MULTIPLE PROBLEMS'

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by nortcentrallord(m): 10:34pm On Apr 19, 2015
Ibime:

More reason you need Buhari. Was War Against Indisciplined not implemented to teach you unruly citizens how to behave? Sometimes when a goat is stubborn, you have to flog him . . . which is exactly what Buharis soldiers did. . . flog the goats amongst us till they learn how to behave like civilised people. cheesy

Yaa, very true but don't forget "goat flogging" isn't legal in democracy and just a remindal, this is 21st century. Nigerians are more enlightened even though most are in the negative way.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Zaikon(m): 1:50pm On Apr 20, 2015
straight2point:

You don't sound educated, you would not have commented like this if you are educated....the truth is that, this shows that this man has a genuine intention for this country to be transformed...and not fighting for his selfish interest. learn to read between the lines and don't allow religion or politics to becloud your sense of judgement and reasoning.
c ur life... Get it right bro my comment isnt sentimental but if its real he hav dat in mind he wnt follow d so cal bad pipo arround him. And plz learn not to be insultiv in makin corrections/comments.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Curiouscity(m): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2015
otemanuduno:

Guy are u a staff of TETFUND? This one wey u just dey post their link up and down. All these TETFUND thing no concern me, na make them create employment be my own. If dem no wan access TETFUND make dem use the money construct industries for graduates nah! Abi na crime day make people dey employed?

lol. Guy, I am not a staff of TETfund, nor am I a beneficiary. But we must hold our leaders accountable, from our immediate constituencies such as schools. Not everything we must blame the government(i.e president and governors).
Now talking about industries. By now you should know that any government has no business in building an industry. Any industry built and managed by any government will collapse within yrs. They can have a stake or large share in a company and allow it run like a 'crown cooperation'. Eg of such should be our PHCN. How do you create employments? If a serious researcher gets a research grant, he can hire a research assistants and other staff. Is this not employment? If a vc uses the allocated amount to build hostels, libraries, new and functional labs, is it not Nigerians that will do the construction? who will be employed to maintain and oversee the running of those places? The government can only create a conducive environment for industrialization which they have failed greatly. But we have a big role to play.
Another thing is we Nigerians especially the youths must start to embrace Nigerian brands. What industries will employ when we don't patronize made in Nigeria products? Nigerians wants to turn 'onyigbo' overnight without making the sacrifices that those guys made in their countries.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by manutdadex(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2015
otemanuduno:

Have u ever taken time to ask yourself if Bill gate comes from a poor background? Also, if bill gate has no source of finance initially, he wouldn't have been great. What bill gate invented required a starting capital and it's the starting capital I am talking about here oga Ade.
bill gates started from scratxh , he sold diskettes for s start, so bro stat wit that change! don't wait for the government there are abt 20 million people like u wit ideas waiting for the government!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo Adds Adeyinka Asekun To Ambassadorial Nominee List / Yoruba Leaders Adopt Atiku For 2019 Presidency / Nnamdi Kanu Can Be Extradited To Nigeria - Junaid Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.