Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change (845 Views)

Which Nigerian State Can Surpass Lagos In Terms Of Development In The Future? / Nike Animashaun: The Lady In The Eye Of The Storm Between Tinubu And Kachikwu. / Lagos In Darkness As Militants Damage Escravos Gas Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2015
Now that voters have decided to pitch tent with APC and voted continuity in Lagos, what are the most important things that can make Lagos GDP grow better an attain an international city of repute over the next 4years of APC government growing the GDP to a region of $200billion.
So what must be done:
1. Moving the numerous tank farms from Apapa to Lekki far toward Epe and constructing roads through Ijebu to link places outside Lagos.This would have reduced traffic gridlocks in some areas in Lagos by 70%. By completing the Lekki ports, some categories of imports can be handled there to decongest Apapa
2. The speedy amendments of the waterways act in the assembly to allow Lagos establish waterways guards and emergency agency so that the state government can expand the use of the waterways and ensure safety.I think this can carry 3mullion plus daily and encourage PPP investments in several billions
3. The completion of the Fashola rail track and expansion to the Abule Egba/Ikeja corridor
4. The establishment of Eko infrastructural bank that can support the development of public infrastructures
5. The completion of petroleum refineries that can supply sufficient products to Lagos and establishment of two additional depots.This can make the. 4th mail and bridge more economically viable which can be developed through PPP
6. Allow Lagos to retain ar least 35% of all tax categories in sharing formulae with federal government
7. Reconstruction of some markets and market infrastructures to reflect 21st century Lagos and bringing at least 50% into the tax regime.Places like Ladipo can be relocated to more organized place, other places like Alaba should be relocated in divisions to work against piracy.Anything that has to do with entertainments can be relocated to somewhere around Lekki for effective associations and government control
8. Lagos should be permitted to have its own metropolitan police with civil mandate and specific security permissions.I think state police should be permitted nationwide
9. APC should allow massive PPP in power generation nationwide and Lagos stands to gain more if this happens.
10. The Eko Atlantic should continue through worthy pursuits and encouragement of more Nigerian investors
11. The cost of housing in Lagos is too high and the introduction of mortgage system that favor low income earners will be of tremendous help

Other areas the APC government can shine include:
1. The Pension Fund Administration PFA operations are not adding values to Nigerians and this should be reformed to benefit contributors whole they are still working.It can serve as collateral or part installment in mortgage and children education insurance.These monies are just mopped up from the economy without any visible add on to the economic well being of generality of Nigerians.
2. Insurance reforms should be pursued, bringing in micro insurance services and expanding the horizon of compulsory insurance to cover all properties used for commercial purposes or above the worth of =N10million. This will help stabilize the economy. These monies can be banked with public infrastructures bank that can be accessed by government in development.
3. The cost of accessing the internet is huge in Nigeria , this should be deregulated and competitive policies should be encouraged even at state levels.
4. Community banking should be reintroduced to capture the semi urban and rural population. Policy management on community banking should be adjusted to accommodate the weak.
more to come

3 Likes

Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 2:59pm On Apr 20, 2015
I strongly support the completion of Eastvwest road and 2nd Niger bridge while amnesty program should be wind down and allow NDDC do community development projects and SME's programs
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by ayokellany: 3:16pm On Apr 20, 2015
AMNESTY program should for no reason be wind down. The government should broaden it reach instead of some selected militants that Jonathan is paying. Every single human in the NigerDelta deserves more in term of social benefits accruing to every other Nigerian it should be a constitutional guaranteed right so long crude oil remain the over 50% Forex earner in Nigeria. You are clamoring for 35% retention of Lagos taxes while you can not pay the same for the NigerDelta. What is good for the geese is good for the gander. I am sick and tired of reading selfish, myopic submission on this topic. Lagos does not deserve any preference privileges beside 21% of what is generated from it resources too. It has already benefited enough as the former capital and should not be given one extra kobo more. I am from Ikorodu in Lagos state, an indigene and a staunch APC supporter. It is time youth among us start fighting for social justice instead of trying to defraud each other.

1 Like

Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by denziz: 3:52pm On Apr 20, 2015
I think the next government should focus more on human capital development.There should be a revolution in the way primary education is being administered in Lagos,a situation were you have over 200 pupils in a class negate the principle of
excellence. If truly Lagos is the center of excellence, nothing should deprive,her pupils from world standard primary education.
The present administration has done a good job by putting in place skills accusation centers but I believe that the center has to properly funded and equipped.
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2015
ayokellany:
AMNESTY program should for no reason be wind down. The government should broaden it reach instead of some selected militants that Jonathan is paying. Every single human in the NigerDelta deserves more in term of social benefits accruing to every other Nigerian it should be a constitutional guaranteed right so long crude oil remain the over 50% Forex earner in Nigeria. You are clamoring for 35% retention of Lagos taxes while you can not pay the same for the NigerDelta. What is good for the geese is good for the gander. I am sick and tired of reading selfish, myopic submission on this topic. Lagos does not deserve any preference privileges beside 21% of what is generated from it resources too. It has already benefited enough as the former capital and should not be given one extra kobo more. I am from Ikorodu in Lagos state, an indigene and a staunch APC supporter. It is time youth among us start fighting for social justice instead of trying to defraud each other.

Thanks @ayokellany. The truth is that I support 50% derivation across board for all states just that my focus on this thread is Lagos hence the limiting of my attention to tax. The Niger Delta, and of course the whole of Nigeria need social engineering but distributing money across the citizenry has never grown any economy anywhere in the world. I support the NDDC to take up the responsibility of pursuing social welfare under which anything that looks like amnesty can fall.Believe me that for as long as we encourage things like this many social miscreants will keep taking advantage of the gap. If Boko Haram has not been labeled as terrorist may be an amnesty program would by now be applicable to them too.
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2015
denziz:
I think the next government should focus more on human capital development.There should be a revolution in the way primary education is being administered in Lagos,a situation were you have over 200 pupils in a class negate the principle of
excellence. If truly Lagos is the center of excellence, nothing should deprive,her pupils from world standard primary education.
The present administration has done a good job by putting in place skills accusation centers but I believe that the center has to properly funded and equipped.

Education is the bedrock of any society and Lagos has not done enough. Government need to come up with 4years master plan to tackle infrastructural decay and insufficiency in that sector. I believe LASU is placed well within Lagos and still cannot imagine why it can't compete with UNILAG. The quality of infrastructures in Lagos institutions should be made of international standards while LASU should be legislated as a multi campus institution within the state and it can actually make enough money without students paying through their noses especially at the graduate levels.
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by ki02020(m): 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2015
By igbo friends will claim $150billion of the $200billion is generated by their retail busines....fredom of speech noni

Seriously the lagos state goverment should not pay greater attention on the island this time around o, there should be even development across the state
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 5:01pm On Apr 20, 2015
ki02020:
By igbo friends will claim $150billion of the $200billion is generated by their retail busines....fredom of speech noni

Seriously the lagos state goverment should not pay greater attention on the island this time around o, there should be even development across the state

Greater attemntion sholud be paid to places like Ikorodu, Badagry aAlimosho LGA. Ikorodu central business district wont be a bad idea so also Alimosho CBD while badagry can be turn to tourist city with hotels etc.
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 10:19am On Apr 21, 2015
ki02020:

Government still need to pay alot of attention to Island because that's its largest financial district in Nigeria. The Island wholesale market, Lagos Island and Victoria island need more modernization and erosion control strategies.
What I think its important for the new government to do is to widen the scope of its revenue generation through modernization of the informal sector to give room for taxable business engagements. Also, the local government revenue is one of a kind leaking purse which must be tight nosed and local councils must be made responsible by submitting their own roadmaps in sanitation,community roads and street lights
Re: 21st Century Lagos In The Eye Of Change by mandarin: 10:25am On Apr 21, 2015
ki02020:

Your igbo friends are largely involved in the informal sector and they don't contribute as much as they should. They must brace up for more responsible participation

(1) (Reply)

Shekau Meets Criteria For Time 100 List. See Why / Online Shopping | Electronics, Phones, Fashion & More | Jumia Nigeria / The Truth About NPDC And Neconde Imbroglio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.