Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land (21556 Views)

Documents To Ask For When Buying Land Anywhere In Nigeria / 8 Factors To Consider Before Buying Land To Build Your Home / The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by lalasticlala(m): 12:24am On Apr 21, 2015
Land is the basis of real estate investment and buying, keeping and selling vacant land is one of the most profitable investments that you can make. If your location is right and you buy at the right price getting a hundred per cent return on your investment within five to seven years is not unusual. However, there are pitfalls to avoid and challenges that you may face in your bid to make profit through this investment medium.

Few days ago, I had a chat with a friend on the challenges he is currently faced with on a parcel of land he bought some years ago in one of the outskirts of Lagos. He recently visited the area to check up on this investment only to discover that a quarter of the plot had been sold and one of the access roads no longer exists because the traditional land owners popularly referred to as ‘Omo-Onile’ in South West Nigeria had sold it and a building had been erected on it.

This is not an isolated incident as I am sure either you or someone known to you might have had a bitter experience in this regards. It is the by-product of some lawlessness in our society which a better land regulatory regime should correct.

One of the most painful aspects of investing in real estate is to discover that you have used your hard earned money to buy litigation or crisis. The possibility of resolving land dispute in record time is generally remote. Some land matters involving serious conflicts have lasted between 10 to 25 years or more before they are finally resolved.

By that time some of the beneficiaries might have died and the benefit of the victory not as exciting as it should be. These are some of the reasons why it is good to avoid these pitfalls or be better prepared to handle them when and if they do occur.

One of the key points to keep in mind is that although an agreement could be made verbally or in writing, when it involves real estate ensure that the agreements are in writing. Oral land transactions cannot be enforced by our law courts.

The most basic of the document that you need is a purchase receipt. You should ensure that you read any fine print on the receipt and take note of the words used. For instance, if you fully paid for the purchase of the land and you find written on the receipt that you leased it no explanation from the seller should suffice until he or she changes the words to reflect that the land had been sold to you.

Land can be purchased from an individual, a community, a private or a public corporation. When the land is purchased from a community rather than an individual, the precautions you need to take during and after payment are slightly different. In this instance, a sale of community land must be with the consent of the head of the family. The receipts and agreements that you will have must be signed by the head of the family and any other recognised signatory or signatories of the family.

There is also the need to take precautions against fraud in various shades and shadows. One area to note is to ensure that the seller is properly identified and actually signed the documents. Several years ago a real estate investor bought some acres of land from a family and thereafter travelled outside the country. He then sent his brother who did not know the authorised signatories to go to the sellers and collect the signed agreement from them. They gave him the agreement but some years after they encroached on his land and claimed that he did not buy through the authorised family representatives. The matter went to the court and one of the key discoveries that cost this investor his investment was that they proved that one of the names on the agreement was that of a member of the family that had died several years prior to the transaction.

The need for due diligence and reading or understanding the fine prints is not limited to land transactions with individuals or private companies alone. Infact, you need to be more careful when dealing with the government because they possess the machineries of the state with which they could enforce their will. Always ensure that the land you want to buy is not under government acquisition and find out what is the approve use.

If you have a Certificate of Occupancy on the land it is important to understand that there are several clauses written on it specifying your responsibilities. If you fail to carry out any of these obligation you may provide the government with the basis that they need to revoke your Certificate of Occupancy. You need to be extremely careful in this regards if your land is located in a prime area.

http://www.punchng.com/business/am-business/pitfalls-to-avoid-when-buying-land/

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 21, 2015
This land is not for sale

Beware of 419......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by alberto2k(m): 1:13am On Apr 21, 2015

**Beware of Omo onile and Some Oshodi, Surulere and Ojuelegba thugs
They'll tell u its their Grandfather land passed down to them through inheritance,mtscheww! WASH of LIFE grin grin

Them go even show u brown colored papers say "ah baba eleyi ti pee ju Badagry o, Orgi ni oo" (this is papers is Old and Orijinal) grin grin

**my 2wraps**

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by MUMINATED(m): 2:39am On Apr 21, 2015
Using dis medium to make my shoutout 2 the nairaland association spacebookers ,vry soon we shall all buy our original land

7 Likes

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by mrpackager(m): 2:53am On Apr 21, 2015

I KNW IT WIL MK FP
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Nobody: 3:00am On Apr 21, 2015
Someone close to me bought a piece a land and a few years down the line he doesn't even know where it is anymore. Development came and the landscape totally changed. I blame him for not visiting the place frequently.

3 Likes

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by write2obi(m): 7:31am On Apr 21, 2015
chipmunkey:
Someone close to me bought a piece a land and a few years down the line he doesn't even know where it is anymore. Development came and the landscape totally changed. I blame him for not visiting the place frequently.
please can you help me slap " someone close to you" he is a big olodo sad

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by write2obi(m): 7:37am On Apr 21, 2015
The real problem is that people don't even know, what and what document they should collect when they buy a land, land purchase is not something anyone should jump into without due consultations.
Here in anambra the trick is to start building immediately you buy the land, the worst case scenario is that you will be asked to pay more money if anything foes wrong,
My brother- inlaw bought 2 plot of land in oba some 6 years ago, the man that owns the land resides in the US so the transaction was between my inlaw and the land agent. He(my inlaw) fenced the lands. January two year ago when he started moulding blocks for his house, he was confronted buy a man who claims to be the true owner of the land. It turned out that the agent thou he was authorised to sell the land, only paid half of the money my inlaw gave him to the owner ( claiming he had family issues at that time and had to use part of the money, that he was planning to balance the rest when sorts him self out) . Then he was given time to bring out the rest of the money which he failed to do, it got to a point the owner of the land said that even if the man brings out the money, that he is no longer willing to sell at the old price, at this time lands at the said area was now selling like hot cake. The owner was demanding for another 2 million naira , my inlaw out of desperation was willing to pay but the dealbreaker was that my inlaw was also asked to pay the money the dubious agent ate. So at the end he lost the land, 6 years of investment, and part of his money (the owner of the land was kind enough to refund the money the agent gave him)

4 Likes

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by infobiz9ja(m): 7:46am On Apr 21, 2015
shocked Lalasticlala has turned Omonile Lawyer over night ... #Itsallowed
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by MrMcJay(m): 7:59am On Apr 21, 2015
What if the land bought is OK from the family and after paying, you discover that the land is under government acquisition?
Or the C of O you think you are buying is fake?
Or the land belongs to someone else somewhere who knows you have bought his land, but is waiting for you to nearly finish roofing your duplex before he slams you with a Court injunction which signals another 30 years in Court?

Buying land requires financial, legal, technical, emotional, psychological input as well as street-smartness. The problem arises when one factor is absent or misapplied.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by paulolee(m): 9:13am On Apr 21, 2015
noted.... Tanks o.p for dis post coz m planning on dealing on land tinz dis year...
woke up dis morning very angry coz robbers invaded my condo last night, I wasn't scared wen I was informed early dis morning coz d security is always very tight nT until I realized dt d robbers made away wt some petty valuables n d painful part was dt deY stole my new Olympic sized swimming pool.....
#painedbro#

1 Like

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by bastien: 9:14am On Apr 21, 2015
No do mistake buy land for omonile hand.......them fit sell person land (military man) give u shocked

Na so dem sell naval officer land give army officer........ no be small thing happen oh grin

1 Like

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by 1stola: 9:14am On Apr 21, 2015
sai BuhAri
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Texcoco(m): 9:15am On Apr 21, 2015
Abuja has one the most sophisticated yet simplistic method of acquiring Land....10H,20H??...No problem.
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by efilefun(m): 9:15am On Apr 21, 2015
ok
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Maczeelly(m): 9:16am On Apr 21, 2015
Noted......
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by chynie: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2015
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2015
THIS SPACE IS NOT FOR SALE
THE DOG IS OKAY BUT BEWARE OF THE OWNER!!!

cool

1 Like

Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2015
I was taught about this in school na. Nice work sha op
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by UMOSCO: 9:20am On Apr 21, 2015
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:20am On Apr 21, 2015
#Noted!
Re: Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2015
Noted
Yay i made fp d 1st tym, jst opend nairaland dis month

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Tejuosho Market Yaba A Waste? / The Finishing Of Osun State Edifice By Rotech77 / Professional Twist To Lekki Gardens Building Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.